• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games not known for their high difficulty you found surprisingly hard

Kirby games.
I'm not talking about the game in general, those are made to be a fun breeze, but the Arena and true area modes can get crushing. In planter Robobot, I had to cheese the the true arena by using PSY and just teleporting to avoid taking hits, and then the game throws some extra bosses in there for good measure. Those modes really do test you with the difficulty.

NewGame

Banned
images

petran79

Banned
Gianna Sisters Twisted Dreams before the patch was brutal. You had to collect stars to advance to the final stage. Meaning you har to lose 2 lifes max at each stage. World 1 was passable,World 2 was difficult and pushed my skills to the limits.World 3 and the final boss were one of the most frustrating experiences. Cant remember that much cursing in any other game.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So, went to try Ori again after a few months break.

I died a few times, finally made it past the part I was stuck on with a tiny bit of health left. You can switch difficulties, but it changes achievements when you do. I just toughed it out.

Got past the next part too after dying a few times. I figured out what to do, didnt even realize I made it, was just trying not to die, lol.

Now its back to being a lil easier.

Of course I had to relearn how to use the powers again. One thing I hate about taking long beaks.
I hope Ori 2 gets rid of those terrible "escape" sections. Took me days to beat because after wiping out so many times I was incapable of doing any better without taking a long break.

I have mixed feelings, because this is where I have been stuck on. The next escape section came right after too.

Yea, taking a break helped. I saw some things the other day I just wasnt seeing before.

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories.

Feels like you need to be rain man to be good at the game. Playing through it on Ps4 right now and between paying attention to distance to the enemy, enemy attacks, the number of their card, the number of your card, the total of your sleight, the total of their sleight, position in your own deck and remembering the order of your cards, it's a little bit tough.
And then Riku mode throws another spanner in the works with his uneditable, constantly changing deck.

Not "hard" per se, but my dumb ass found the combat in Xenoblade Chronicles to be utterly incomprehensible. I could mash my way through the first few hours but I had to throw the towel in (despite loving the story) once the fights started getting serious.

Xenoblade has a really hard fight at the 80-90% mark actually.

danmaku

Sonic 1. I beat the game as a kid, but I never got all the chaos emeralds for the true ending. That rotating labyrinth was way too hard, and if you fucked up even once you had to restart the game, no second chance.

LiamExe

The Last Remnant

But it's not fun.

And if I recall, there was some kind of system in place where you'd be actively punished for grinding, as things would scale up with you and some bosses would gain stronger moves that made fights way harder than they needed to be so it was easy to put yourself in a really bad spot if you weren't careful.

I think I got to the final boss which may have well as been a brick wall at that point. : (

emb

Maybe it is known for it, I'm not too sure. But I was pretty taken aback with how tough Henry Hatsworth turned out to be.

250px-Hatsworthcover.png

The game has a puzzle twist, but is otherwise a seemingly straightforward action/platformer sorta thing. Towards the end the stretches of combat started to kill me more often than I expected.

Maybe it is known for it, I'm not too sure. But I was pretty taken aback with how tough Henry Hatsworth turned out to be.

250px-Hatsworthcover.png

The game has a puzzle twist, but is otherwise a seemingly straightforward action/platformer sorta thing. Towards the end the stretches of combat starts to kill me more often than I expected.

This game becomes crazy indeed towards the end. And I say that as someone who regularly plays Platinum games on the hardest difficulties and has finished FTL, Spelunky, Dark Souls and Bloodborne multiple times.

EVO

I legit didn't even make it past the first encounter in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Died a few times and gave up.

Teggy

Interestingly, I just replayed this game and the fight we're talking about was just fine for me. I know I had trouble with it on my first playthrough. But this time I used Melia and it was ok.

Is it
Lorithia
? Because that's the boss I am on right now and the first to really give me trouble.

Smasher89

Is it
Lorithia
? Because that's the boss I am on right now and the first to really give me trouble.
Yes, but
ether damage, or atleast not the physical
] is actually making it easier, from what i saw a streamer test on the second try, for me it took alot more time and a bit of grinding

I swear to god I can't get through any level in any Lego game. I have no idea why. My brain just shuts down. Don't know if that counts though.

Mr_Moogle

I remember F-Zero GX on GameCube to be incredible hard that I could only finish the first few tracks. but maybe that was just me sucking.

I remember this game being pretty brutal if you try and complete all the modes and unlock everything.

Also fuck that last level of the single player campaign. I never got past that.

Mogwai

I'm surprised about how easily enemies in BotW one-shots you in the early game. On my way to
Zora's Domain
I would suddenly get swarmed by enemies and suddenly my 3 hearts couldn't help me much. And then the first
Lynel
just royally fucks you up.

I'm fine with difficult combat such as in the Soulsborne games. But BotW feels like its game designers had no clue about difficulty spikes.

End boss of MGS4 is the first thing that comes to mind. My friends where all praising how powerful and nostalgic that fight was. All I remember is retrying it what felt like a dozen times and being very frustrated. I don't even remember what was particularly hard about it, the rest of the game isn't particularly difficult.

This so much. So many told me this fight would be epic. Hours later and the frustration had reached maximum level

Also need for speed 2015, probably considered to be an easy arcade racer. Well good luck with 100% gold prestige mode, its really really umbelievable hard. Everything before that is piss easy

Trickster

Resident Evil 6. Seriously that games combat is such a pile of hot garbage. The constant knockdowns from random ranged units made me set the game to the lowest diffficulty out of pure frustatrion

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I've been playing Spongebob: Battle for Bikini Bottom and the difficulty is no joke. There are lots of precise platforming and racing sections.

NewGame

Banned
Did enough people play this for there to be an opinion on whether it is easy? Either way I have my Dewy plush for pre-ordering it in my game room so cool to see there's someone else out there who knows/remembers it exists.

Does anyone here remember the tilt-the-controller mini game from the Wii version of Twilight Princess?

Okay now imagine that minigame is the whole game and at the same time there's things that are trying to kill you and you have to constantly switch elements like in ikaruga to dodge bullet hell spawning enemy patterns.

KidB

Reading some posts on GAF makes you think that Nioh is an easy game. I found it harder than every Souls game and Bloodborne. Some bosses killed me more than 10 times, which almost never happened in any Souls game.

HiResDes

The Last Remnant

But it's not fun.
I completely disagree about it not being fun.

I also disagree with the people saying Mirror's Edge is particularly hard and I'm genuinely garbage at platformers.

Personally I have treble beating most of the early Splinter Cell games because I'm so damn impatient.

Damn, I've still been the only one who said The Evil Within. I guess it's me and not the game.
I was hoping it was the game.
Its relatively hard. Definitely a lot harder than your usual re. Nightmare mode was incredible. Every single encounter was a life and death situation and literally every single bullet mattered.

On topic,
Horizon... I dunno if it were missions i was picking up or my gear, but the game was utterly destroying me on normal atleast until 75% of the way through. Most things would kill me in 2 3 hits and healing was hard. Basic arrows do almost no damage whatsoever.

tkscz

It's known now, but at the time it was released no one had a clue how difficult Super Mario Sunshine was, especially with how easy it starts off. I can't think of a game with more of a ridiculous difficulty spike.

Also the original Metroid was really easy to die on in the beginning. Get's easier later but to start, three hits and you're dead.

Interestingly, I just replayed this game and the fight we're talking about was just fine for me. I know I had trouble with it on my first playthrough. But this time I used Melia and it was ok.

As far as I know the fight is nigh impossible without her. You have to control her yourself too, else she won't do the things you need her to do if you let the AI steer her.

Flayer

Resonance of Fate on the PS3 for me. I don't think I ever fully "got" how the combat was supposed to work and at some point the battles became such a slog that I never ended up beating the game.

Roshin

And if I recall, there was some kind of system in place where you'd be actively punished for grinding, as things would scale up with you and some bosses would gain stronger moves that made fights way harder than they needed to be so it was easy to put yourself in a really bad spot if you weren't careful.

I think I got to the final boss which may have well as been a brick wall at that point. : (

Very possible. There was a lot of things in that game that never were explained.

Top Bottom