• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2017 (Jul 10 - Jul 16)

MoonFrog

Whether or not something is comparatively small to similar things doesn't necessarily bear on whether you'd call it small or suggest that it's small.

I'd call a big ant only a wee little thing, personally. I don't think there's much reason to get wrapped up in that, feeling that I'd slighted the ant on that basis alone.

I mean, even if I encountered an ant and did not think it big for an ant and called it small when it was in fact big for an ant, I don't see where the issue is. It's still small from my perspective.

I think far too much is being read into "only" here. You don't need to read malicious intent into it or bias against the PS4 catalog.

If someone gets YSO, comgnet, amazon or shipments from retailers as the barrier of success or failure of a game it's his problem. YSO predictions are exactly what they say, predictions.

So where's you disagreement here? Since you're the one who replied to my original post, which was about those people?

MoonFrog

Astrology is for fun or political agenda, as for video game market prediction.
Have you had someone read the stars? I'd be interested to know what they said about DQXI.

Clearly the stars play DQ because it is mana from heaven, what the stars trade in.

But then again...things aren't on earth as they are in heaven so maybe they'd give us too glowing an impression, while the earth receives it in a more mixed fashion.

Kanann

July 29th stars will make DQXI go beyond 4 million.

Seriously, beside marketing team, you'll be surprise at how asian industry/company relate their fate to fengshui or chess pieces too.

But that topic may not fit in this thread :p

ps. Shitty timing and management in some Japanese publishers might be less disaster if they hire decent sensei to look over them.

hussmk

Neo Member
Why is everyone acting like the 3DS version is underperforming or that it's bogging down DQXI's performance?

DQXI is expected to sell 2+ million first week, probably 2.1-2.2 million with digital... that's literally on par with Dragon Quest VIII and IX; it will have the third biggest opening at the least. The franchise shows remarkable consistency yet again, the only difference is that the userbase is now split between two platforms.

Moreover, this is unprecedented! This is the first time that a game opens to 1m+ across more than one platform in Japan. Exciting times!

Bitanator

I'm not that surprised by the DQ estimates, gotta think a lot of people would want the superior looking PS4 version.

They both look good, 3DS has its own unique artstyle, I think it has more to do with who wants to play it on the TV or handheld. I would like to know how many people will buy both versions

casiopao

very likely

I wonder if it's just Saitama city people not interested into PSVR is generally fading away

Sony miss out the hype period i think. And there is little title which resonate with jp gamers.

And with now Switch being the hot item, more people would rather just buy Switch for many huge title rather than buying psvr i think.

D.Lo

Surely DQ will be somewhat propped up by double dippers? They're not really the same game, a big fan would surely get both.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why is everyone acting like the 3DS version is underperforming or that it's bogging down DQXI's performance?

DQXI is expected to sell 2+ million first week, probably 2.1-2.2 million with digital... that's literally on par with Dragon Quest VIII and IX; it will have the third biggest opening at the least. The franchise shows remarkable consistency yet again, the only difference is that the userbase is now split between two platforms.

Moreover, this is unprecedented! This is the first time that a game opens to 1m+ across more than one platform in Japan. Exciting times!

Yeah, some posts are weird...its pretty much selling what we expected just that the PS4 version has a bigger share from the total sales.

Blaming marketing for the 3DS version is crazy...everyone and their mom know that the game is coming to 3DS/PS4. The game gets non-stop TV-Ads....no matter how much marketing is done the 3DS version will still be the 3DS version and if you wanna play the big beautiful HD DQ you will need the PS4 version, nothing will change that.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sony miss out the hype period i think. And there is little title which resonate with jp gamers.

And with now Switch being the hot item, more people would rather just buy Switch for many huge title rather than buying psvr i think.

There was hype period for PSVR outside launch? It was always referring to a niche audience and as usually internet made it a bigger deal than it actually is.

Kanann

Some DQ fans in my circle buy both version, twice or thrice for limited/sealed forever/collection
, some buy at three shop at the same time (he scared shops will ship the game to his hand late) plus buying digital both PS4 and 3DS for insurance.

I myself sealed forever for physical copies and playing on digital.

We are really crazy....

casiopao

There was hype period for PSVR outside launch? It was always referring to a niche audience and as usually internet made it a bigger deal than it actually is.

Well the launch hype and the low stock period probably make many Jp fans being interested with the system there espcially with the abundant amount of video showing jp fans being interested toward VR.

But after the long time of no stock and more people finding out that VR is not what they imagined it is, the hype just died there.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Sony ships 1000-2000 PSVR systems per week in Japan. It's expected you'll see people lining for it, but it doesn't mean they represent a large group or show some kind of big demand.

casiopao

Sony ships 1000-2000 PSVR systems per week in Japan. It's expected you'll see people lining for it, but it doesn't mean they represent a large group or show some kind of big demand.

I agree there. It probably just the hardcorest of the hardcore which line up which end up making some of us thing there is huge market for the system here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope Nintendo will release the ww debut numbers for Splatoon 2.
No way in hell it ain't sell at least 1 million ww, so it's a matter of them wanting to make a PR or not, imho

Big problem for Bic Camera

Seems like their lottery is not properly made...

As I pointed out 2 weeks ago, there were 4000 numbers (2000 for each colour) available for extraction. Such a big number considering there were 20 units available in Omiya store and I think less than 200 people took part at it (I arrived at 9:10 so I just missed 10 minutes).

Now someone on Twitter stated that first in Ikebukuro then in other stores there are some missing numbers.
Last week two people went to the store, the first one took the #863 while the second got the #866 instead of 864 or even 865.

qK3bRZZ.png

don't @ at me if you didn't get your Switch at Bic's lottery

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
If someone stated a Bic Camera conspiracy theory on Twitter it must be true.

Lotteries are fake and numbers that will win Switch systems are determined from before.

casiopao

So it'll sell worse than DQIX FW, but it will have about the same, maybe higher revenue?

But this one would actually had bigger budget to make though. (The fact that they already reused the monster assets for the new mobile game, would actually be a much bigger money maker if u ask me.^^)

noshten

Don't worry, the goal posts will just be moved.

I don't think everyone under-predicting DQXI on PS4 for 2017 or over-predicting 3DS version has biases. Most people expected less pronounced declines from MHXX, DQXI on the 3DS. And lot were expecting Switch's price to be a hurdle for the Japanese market in terms of seeing it as a portable device.

There were tons of prediction at the start of the year for Splatoon 2 doing 0.5 - 2.0 million for the full 2017. Right now those predictions are looking likely to be off as much as DQXI 3DS predictions. Splatoon 2 will be over 2 million easily before December hits.
Same people that predicted huge numbers for DQXI on the 3DS, so obviously bias towards Nintendo isn't exactly what motivated them. Very few people for example predicted Zelda could pass 1 million in 2017, I believe only 5 predictions out of 30 made for the year.

In the end very few expected the Switch to become such a hot commodity in Japan in the start of the year including major publishers. In terms of Switch and it's flagship titles it's definitely going to blow away certain prediction on this forum.

oti

Banned
The 8-4 guys said the 3DS version should sell way higher, I don't know.
Would be great if Japan would finally move on though. The PS4 numbers are there.

Chauzu

The 8-4 guys said the 3DS version should sell way higher, I don't know.
Would be great if Japan would finally move on though. The PS4 numbers are there.

Pokémon at the end of the year will probably be the last major 3DS release so they will have to move on whether they like to or not!

casiopao

Pokémon at the end of the year will probably be the last major 3DS release so they will have to move on whether they like to or not!

Well, considering there is mobile now, u can said that they already move lol.^^ Also, the lack of Switch won't help there.^^

Well to be fair, I think a lot of Nintendo fans do the same in the UK sales.

Isn't UK is more or less Nintendo worst market? Which is not shocking to see most of Ninty product to underwhelmed over there.

sinonobu

Banned
Isn't UK is more or less Nintendo worst market? Which is not shocking to see most of Ninty product to underwhelmed over there.

You are forgetting Korea where Wii U & Switch didn't come out, and half of the 3ds first party titles are not even localized!

Don't worry, the goal posts will just be moved.

Eh, last year I was firnly in the camp of DQ11 selling way better on 3DS than the PS4. Obviously that has turned out to be false. I was never down on the PS4 version though, I thought it would do well and wouldn't have any trouble clearing 1 million (same for MH:W, I think it will clear a million easier than FF15), I just assumed the 3DS version would be not do so meh. Obviously wrong but it is what it is. A ~2m opening for the game is not bad at all. I was just expecting the 3DS to pull more. It makes me wonder how Ultra Sun and Moon are gonna drop. Relatively far it seems.

casiopao

You are forgetting Korea where Wii U & Switch didn't come out, and half of the 3ds first party titles are not even localized!

The market size is very different though. I would consider Korea market size is more or less Singapore+Malaysia+SEA market size which i think is quite small. Meanwhile UK is actually a much bigger market there.

Datschge

Past production startup, this is rarely true. This would only be the case if units assembled in a week all went to a single region, and different weeks (or months) went to different regions. But instead units are allocated continually; some stock is shipped every week to every region.
But do you assume said allocation always stays the same? I wouldn't. And even if so, based around production time or based around release dates to target? For me it's definitely the latter (to e.g. achieve higher hardware stock everywhere for the launch of Splatoon 2).

What part(s) of this do you disagree with?
None (assuming they don't increase production in that time). Though you seem to argue they hold back stock for later?

I'm just stating the (imo) obvious that when considering multiple different regions with different scales of demand to which allocation is being adapted to that said allocation and the inherent differing shipping time can conceal the amount of units produced at a time even without holding back of stocks happening (unless you consider units sailing on sea as holding back).

You got a source for Sony blocking marketing of the PC version of Nier Automata btw?
Read this legendary thread and tell us why Square Enix behaved the opaque self-contradicting way it did.

If you include markets where Nintendo is not even releasing many of their products to begin with why not just go with mainland China or India? =P

Datschge

So the source is GAF now? Lmao
I didn't link a source, I linked an archived discussion about odd behavior by SE right while that happened that was never officially explained. Seems like you don't want to come up with a reason for it either.

LordRaptor

This is all very possible, and I believe it could be true. That doesn't mean it actually is. Do you have info indicating so, or just plausibility? (Note that I don't think the latter answer is fatal to your argument, I'm just interested if you have suggestive data.)

You can either look at deviation of rereviewed titles with little to no changes other than compiled for a newer platform from publications for an actual rate of time of decay.
Titles that were "HD remastered" once for last gen and then rereleased again this gen don't have any additional 'value add' such as compilation bundling.

It's the exact opposite of disingenuous, it's a simple fact. No one was talking about reviewing habits, or spending habits. As I've already explained, the statement is in a context where Metacritic is agreed as a usable metric, and where we're examining the entire release slate of console platforms.

No; there are unstated assumptions that are untrue.
In the context of a discussion that a retail title that gets good reviews then as a result also sees good sales - of which there are historically more proofs for than against - we are using metacritic as a gauge of "customer desirability".
You therefore cannot treat "85+ metacritic product" as an interchangable good without any acknowledgement as to what that title actually is.

Saying that a platform is "getting great games faster" implies both a qualitative value (that "great" games are desirable) and a time value (that these games are showing up faster than ever)
If these games are existing games being recounted, they do not hold the same universal desirability (because a new game has zero previous owners) and the time value is inconsequential because its an arbitrary throttle, not an indicator of support.

test_account

XP-39C²
Eh, last year I was firnly in the camp of DQ11 selling way better on 3DS than the PS4. Obviously that has turned out to be false. I was never down on the PS4 version though, I thought it would do well and wouldn't have any trouble clearing 1 million (same for MH:W, I think it will clear a million easier than FF15), I just assumed the 3DS version would be not do so meh. Obviously wrong but it is what it is. A ~2m opening for the game is not bad at all. I was just expecting the 3DS to pull more. It makes me wonder how Ultra Sun and Moon are gonna drop. Relatively far it seems.
Well, the game isnt out yet. It does look like the opening week for the PS4 version would be a lot stronger than what many people here thought, but the LTD number isnt determined in any way just yet. 3DS version still has the bigger userbase, not to speak of the 3000 yen cheaper difference in price for the game.

So we're giving credit to the theory of Sony paying for a marketing deal to hide 3ds version of the game while a simple search get us TV adds that show the game in said platform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYIhBR0bI70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCn9khTwFU

plus a dozen of trailers and gameplays all around the web.

And sony fans are the ones with the persecution complex...
Where did the idea of the 3DS version not being marketed come from? Honest question. I dont live in Japan, so i cant say much about it, but from what i've seen on Youtube etc., it doesnt seem to be any shortcoming of the 3DS version. Feels to me that both versions have been shown about the same.

Well, the game isnt out yet. It does look like the opening week for the PS4 version would be a lot stronger than what many people here thought, but the LTD number isnt determined in any way just yet. 3DS version still has the bigger userbase, not to speak of the 3000 yen cheaper difference in price for the game.

This is all true. I'm not saying anything is set in stone. I'm just making my position clear that so far it seems like I was just straight incorrect. Which is fine, we'll see how it all pans out, I agree there has been some goal shifting in regard to DQ11.

test_account

XP-39C²
This is all true. I'm not saying anything is set in stone. I'm just making my position clear that so far it seems like I was just straight incorrect. Which is fine, we'll see how it all pans out, I agree there has been some goal shifting in regard to DQ11.
I understand, thats fair :) And reading your post again, i guess you were talking more about first week sales only. I thought you was talking about LTD, so i based my reply on that, regarding which version that might end up selling the most.

KtSlime

So we're giving credit to the theory of Sony paying for a marketing deal to hide 3ds version of the game while a simple search get us TV adds that show the game in said platform

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYIhBR0bI70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfCn9khTwFU

plus a dozen of trailers and gameplays all around the web.

And sony fans are the ones with the persecution complex...

What are you on about? Who has proposed this idea in this thread? And who is giving credit to them?

watershed

Banned

Unless I'm mistaken, DQXI hasn't come out yet right? Why are you talking in the past tense?

bigjig

I didn't link a source, I linked an archived discussion about odd behavior by SE right while that happened that was never officially explained. Seems like you don't want to come up with a reason for it either.

Yeah I'm not really one for groundless conspiracy theories

Top Bottom