• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New nano tech to improve datatransfers inside game consoles by 1000x was invented

An international team of scientists led by ANU has designed a new nano device that promises ultra-fast rendering of high-definition graphics on gaming consoles.

Senior ANU researcher Professor Dragomir Neshev said the invention, a tiny antenna which is 100 times thinner than a human hair, could also aid high-performance computers used to create animations and special effects.

"One of the big problems that gamers encounter is sluggish game play, which our nano device could greatly improve by speeding up the exchange of data between the multiple processors in the console," said Professor Neshev from the Nonlinear Physics Centre within the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering.

"The speed of this data transfer is currently limited by the speed that electrons can flow along the copper wires connecting the processors in gaming consoles.

"Our invention can be used to connect these processors with optical wires that will transmit data between processers thousands of times faster than metal wires. This will enable smooth rendering and large-scale parallel computation needed for a good gaming experience."

ANU collaborated with Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology and Technische Universität Darmstadt in Germany.

Professor Neshev said the researchers used the nano-scale antenna to transmit and route telecom signals from the air into different directions in an optical wire, for the first time.

"We are the first to make a tiny optical nano-antenna device with the ability to sort and route ultra-fast bit-rate telecommunication signals," he said.

"We were able to shrink the optical components to bridge the size mismatch with today's ever-smaller electronic parts."

The invention took two years to make and was supported by the ARC through CUDOS, a Centre of Excellence, and the Australian National Fabrication Facility.

The research is published in Science Advances.

http://www.anu.edu.au/news/all-news/nano-device-promises-ultra-fast-graphics-on-gaming-consoles

wwm0nkey

2845667-1795957707-Nanom.jpg

laxu

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it, bus speeds are not the main issue in consoles but the slow CPUs and GPUs. Improving data transfer between them is not going to solve that issue if even right now for example PCI-E bus speeds (e.g. x8 vs x16) don't really matter even on PCs.

tuxfool

Banned
Photonic busses have long been an area of research. However I fail to see why it applies specifically to gaming consoles.

leeh

Sounds like absolute bollocks.
Nah, it's only the same as moving you're internet from a copper line to fiber, just on a board instead.

Sounds like this is for anything which is similar to a PC, not just consoles. I can imagine for big networking kit (infrastructure routers), this could be big.

Daedardus

"The speed of this data transfer is currently limited by the speed that electrons can flow along the copper wires connecting the processors in gaming consoles.

"Our invention can be used to connect these processors with optical wires that will transmit data between processers thousands of times faster than metal wires. This will enable smooth rendering and large-scale parallel computation needed for a good gaming experience."

Wait, what? The speed of electrons in metal is relatively low, but the speed at which information travels through the wire (electromagnetic waves) is about a third of the light speed in a vacuum. Just using optical connections won't make the information travel 1000 times faster. Optical has just better attenuation properties making the signal travel longer without loss and offers a higher bandwidth for lower power. That's why it is the preffered choice in the global internet system. Maybe I should try to look up the research paper because this news post isn't telling anything useful.

yeah right because all the good inventions came from Australia. I'll believe it when I see it Bruce!

Geoff out

please note: this is intended as good natured piss-taking. I respect Australia and her citizens, who are now mostly law-abiding.

Ahasverus

... Why are they touting consoles as their main application? For what I understand (and certainly it's not much) it seems like it has countless other uses.

Cool nonetheless, and good of them for thinking on us first haha.

tuxfool

Banned
Wait, what? The speed of electrons in metal is relatively low, but the speed at which information travels through the wire (electromagnetic waves) is about a third of the light speed in a vacuum. Just using optical connections won't make the information travel 1000 times faster. Optical has just better attenuation properties making the signal travel longer without loss and offers a higher bandwidth for lower power. That's why it is the preffered choice in the global internet system. Maybe I should try to look up the research paper because this news post isn't telling anything useful.

Yeah, that and with the focus on gaming consoles, makes the entire statement seem slightly off kilter.

Then there is also the part about routing telecom signals, which don't usually carry bit level signals without some form of modulation.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Either that scientician is dumbing things down "alot" or he's completely bullshitting, because that's buzzword soup.

Hold your horses; who let these engineers out of the coal industry? We don't value your fancy-pants electrical devices in this country boyo. Coal is the future.

Uh, what copper wires again?

I guess the idea here is that if you have separate processors you have a better connection bus between them. But consoles ended up with singular main SoCs since that was cheaper and not due to performance reasons, as seen with PCs using those copper interfaces and getting better results all the time. So I'm not sure where is this supposed to go. RAM and memory drives are slow anyway.

tuxfool

Banned

I guess the idea here is that if you have separate processors you have a better connection bus between them. But consoles ended up with singular main SoCs since that was cheaper and not due to performance reasons, as seen with PCs using those copper interfaces and getting better results all the time. So I'm not sure where is this supposed to go. RAM and memory drives are slow anyway.

There is a paradigm that is being looked at at the moment which is to split highly parallel processors into chiplets, each with independent memory pools. You can look at it as a more robust version of what AMD is doing with their CPUs right now. A very fast bus between these chiplets would certainly be a boon to inter chiplet communication, both from the perspective of throughput and power consumption of the SiP (system in a package).

From what little the article says, the invention is a photonic antenna, so routing signals between busses extremely fast at very small distances. So maybe an ultra wide bus to L2 cache or something? You still need copper on both ends because this is only a relay...

The console part is wishful thinking because this is only useful to a Foundry. If Intel can find a way to reproduce in large amounts, or something. To Nintendo or Sony it's worth about as much as it is to us.

Caramello

yeah right because all the good inventions came from Australia. I'll believe it when I see it Bruce!

Geoff out

please note: this is intended as good natured piss-taking. I respect Australia and her citizens, who are now mostly law-abiding.

Just a few because even though you're joking, you probably don't appreciate the extent of Aussie inventions.

Agriculture and food

Fire-stick farming
Boomerang
Australian merino
Ridley wheat stripper
Harrison's mechanical refrigeration
Granny Smith apple
Peppin merino
Ammonia refrigeration to freeze meat for export
Stump-jump plough
McKay stripper-harvester
Wolseley shearing machine
Federation wheat
McKay Sunshine header-harvester
Howard Rotavator rotary hoe
Vegemite
Nematodes for pest control, by CSIRO
Nogall pest control for fruit trees and roses
Pink Lady apple

Communication and IT
Pre-paid postage
Secret ballot, introduced in Victoria in 1856
Automatic totalisator
School of the Air
Cochlear implant
Mountbatten Brailler
Eddie special effects software
Ericsson's phone queuing system
Passport security
WiFi, a spin-off from CSIRO's radio-astronomy research
GiFi, NICTA's gigabit wireless chip
Jira, collaborative workplace software by Atlassian

Energy and environment
Goldfields Water Supply Scheme
Cactoblastis moth for biological control of prickly pear
Snowy Mountains Scheme
Flat plate solar hot water system
Rib Loc pipes
Clean Up Australia (and the World)
Buried contact solar cell
Orbital Combustion Process engine
Evacuated tube solar hot water system
Cap-XX capacitors to power mobile devices
H2Zero, Caroma's waterless urinal
Earth Hour
CSIRO ultrabattery
Ausra large-scale solar thermal system

Health

Tea-tree oil disinfectant
Flying Doctor Service
Penicillin
Begg orthodontic braces
Microsurgery
Grey-scale ultrasound
Resmed breathing aids to treat sleep apnoea
IVF embryo freezing
Relenza influenza medication
Spray-on skin for burns victims
Gardasil cervical cancer vaccine
Peptic ulcer treatment with antibiotics
Compumedics devices for sleep diagnosis
Signostics hand-held ultrasound
Starpharma dendrimers

Household and clothing
Brick veneer construction
Speedo swimwear
Shepherd castors
Hills hoist
Victa lawnmower
CSIRO wool technology
Caroma dual flush toilet
Balarinji designs

Leisure
Didgeridoo
Feature length movie, the world's first being The Story of the Kelly Gang
Surf lifesaving movement
Fairlight music synthesiser
Super Sopper for drying sports fields
Racecam
Water Cube

Mining and manufacturing

Froth flotation to separate ores
Humespun pipe
Continuous refining of lead
Warman slurry pump
Isasmelt process to win metals from ores
Coalscan rapid analysis of coal
Jameson Cell for mineral separation
Polymer banknote
Whittle mine planning software
Kelsey centrifugal jig for mineral separation
RAFT process for precise production of polymer molecules

Research
X-ray crystallography
Flame ionisation detector for gas chromatography
Atomic absorption spectrophotometer
Australia Telescope
Gradiflow for separating proteins

Transport
Michell thrust bearing
Black box flight recorder
Baby safety capsule
Bishop variable ratio steering
Audio-tactile pedestrian detector
Sydney Coordinated Adaptive Traffic System
Wave-piercing catamaran
Solar Sailor
Thompson coupling

kyser73

??? I see Australia and Germany in the article. What is this post? This is neither relevant nor clever.

Winner haha

You should learn more about Australian politics and its own quaint obsession with burning coal.

OT - I'd always pegged photonics as being an area of computing that was likely to remain in the rarefied realm of government, military & corporate supercomputing, so tech that could make it more available is welcome, but I'm not buying that multiple at all.

Caramello - you forgot waterproof money...

Daedardus

Eh?

Well I think this is the one,
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/7/e1700007
Maybe someone can make sense of the actual paper

Apparantly it covers a seperation technique through the use of selecting polarized light, and implements this as a demultiplexer. It never states this 1000 times faster traveling of information. The article on the website is total bullshit compared to the paper, did a normal journalist write the article?

Sini

Why would the main intended use for it be games consoles?? Bolded text sounds like snake oil salesman.

tokkun

Photonic busses have long been an area of research. However I fail to see why it applies specifically to gaming consoles.

Why is it limited to game consoles? Surely industrial applications on PCs would come first?

Nah, it's only the same as moving you're internet from a copper line to fiber, just on a board instead.

Sounds like this is for anything which is similar to a PC, not just consoles. I can imagine for big networking kit (infrastructure routers), this could be big.

So multichip modules will evolve and take over monolithic chips !

Using optic fiber instead of copper in board/computer designs is not a new idea IBM had developed it a couple of years ago. It's not very cost effective for consoles to use though.

Their research is related to on-chip optical networks. Not chip-to-chip / board-level networks. This is not clear from the excerpt, but here is the actual paper:
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/3/7/e1700007

I imagine that the reason game consoles are being used as an example is because they are high-performance SoCs with high bandwidth between processors on the same chip.

Apparantly it covers a seperation technique through the use of selecting polarized light, and implements this as a demultiplexer. It never states this 1000 times faster traveling of information. The article on the website is total bullshit compared to the paper, did a normal journalist write the article?

God knows, the article is written on behalf of the university, maybe they thought they could get more coverage like this.

Top Bottom