• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Chorazin

Dudes with a blur problem: do you have motion smoothing turned on for your HD TV? The shit that makes HD movies look kinda soap opera-ish?

I have that stuff all off in my TV, maybe that's why I'm not seeing a major problem like some of you.

Have you tried the speaker setting options in this game? Setting them to small can make quite the difference.

Sound in general seems to be screwed from what I can tell after playing multiplayer. It's fine when I use earphones plugged into the controller though. Resogun seemed to be fine too and I haven't got the chance to play anything else so I don't know if it's a problem with Killzone or the system/TV or something. This would be less of an issue if I could use my Pulse headset on PS4 now.

On a positive note I did enjoy my second match of multiplayer when I wasn't missing sound. Thought I did quite well for a noob.

Sound in general seems to be screwed from what I can tell after playing multiplayer. It's fine when I use earphones plugged into the controller though. Resogun seemed to be fine too and I haven't got the chance to play anything else so I don't know if it's a problem with Killzone or the system/TV or something. This would be less of an issue if I could use my Pulse headset on PS4 now.

On a positive note I did enjoy my second match of multiplayer when I wasn't missing sound. Thought I did quite well for a noob.
Did you check though ;)? The sound in this game is pretty great. Though in chapter seven i did notice the voices to be too soft.
Not hearing voices is pretty weird though... Is your center speaker plugged in? :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Everyone should take a look at this video. I absolutely love it :) You've played it in an unconventional, yet perfectly logical way, it just shows that you can finish the level doing pretty much everything in a completely different way than another person would. I know in my case I did pretty much everything in a different way.

*edit* also, the link is broken now, but this link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1387065241540954&l=8324546479312124402

Thanks. I was really nervous about sharing any actual gameplay since I've never posted it publicly before. Steven ter Heide, the game's director, liked it too, which was some serious praise. If you want me to do other parts of the game, just ask.

DukeBobby

Just finished the campaign.

Hated pretty much all of it, but I quite liked the last chapter. Pulling it off undetected was quite satisfying. Chapter 4 was good, too.

The rest, well...

Skenzin

Banned
Well, I think you PS4 might be broken or your TV sucks.

Ghosts and bf4 look clear as bell. For some reason the multiplayer in killzone looks like its running at 480p to me. Its wierd how unimpressed i am at this game on techinical level.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ghosts and bf4 look clear as bell. For some reason the multiplayer in killzone looks like its running at 480p to me. Its wierd how unimpressed i am at this game on techinical level.

The multiplayer looks blurry to me as well and I have a ISF calibrated Panny GT30.

I am guessing this game uses a different AA solution for Multiplayer that blurs the image.

nib95

Banned
What genius created the credits sequence.

Slowest scrolling credits ever. They're in just completely random order instead of alphabetic so no fucking clue when the hundreds long lists are nearing an end. Credits every single person that may have even thought about working on a video game in their lives and their mothers.

Keep watching lol...

On a side note, so weird seeing such polarising opinions. I'm on my second play through and enjoying it even more this time.

bjscott05

Finally finished the end of chapter 7. I died...ahem...16 times before I beat it.

Didn't help that I didn't realize at first you could jump in the turret and kill shit

sector4

Haha those credits seriously went for a half an hour. What the hell? On topic, I really didn't like this game :( So unfortunate because I'm such a massive KZ fan, but I found it drab and boring.

For those wondering what FPS games someone who didn't like this would like, my favourite FPS games are

Metro Last Light (2033 was great too)
Breakdown
Half Life 2
Killzone 2
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

viveks86

Leaving this here for those who haven't seen it already! :)

In game voice chat [in development]
In game voice chat is currently in development. While the game was setup to allow users to speak with the parties they created and people they trust, you have indicated this does make teamwork among strangers more difficult. As team based gameplay is our main focus, we are currently working on this feature as a top priority. We are targeting the December update to have this functionality. It will automatically enable you to talk to your faction and will allow you to mute players (to retain that classic Killzone Shadow Fall feel ;).

Killzone 2 style proximity chat [not at the moment]
We feel that the in game voice chat and Multiplayer battle chatter (both in development) are the first set of in game voice improvements we want. We should revisit this feature if the community still wants it after they have been listening to the new voice enhancements.

Ranking system [in design]
Instead of an XP system, we currently add skill-based ranks based on the challenges you have completed. As the community has indicated it really would like to see a ranking system that also would show their progress as a player, we are currently designing a ranking system that celebrates this challenge progress and assigns players with rank names and accompanying icons.

Clan system [in design]
We are in the process of designing the clan system and it will be deployed in phases. It will be better suited for Shadow Fall’s team oriented, objectives based gameplay. We expect the first deployment to be early 2014.

Player scorecard split into teams [under consideration]
We are actively looking into ways to put this information in the most logical way possible for Shadow Fall’s gameplay. No final decision on an implementation has been made yet.

Customized Multiplayer Announcements [not yet, but…]
Adding customized multiplayer announcements is certainly an option, but we don’t want the game to get too noisy and distracting. As we will soon be releasing a new feature that lets you customize your Multiplayer battle chatter (“reviving”, “shield activated…” etc.), we will review this feature again after that customization of MP chatter is in the game, which is targeted to be part of the December update.

Hip firing [under investigation]
We are considering this and are currently gathering and studying our gameplay data on hip firing accuracy and whether it is working/not working as intended. We need to be very careful about tweaking the accuracy, as this could inadvertently unbalance the game in another direction. No final decision has been made yet.

Overpowered drones [under investigation]
Again, we are looking into the gameplay data for Air Support drones and turrets. No final decision yet.

In game party system [under consideration]
We rely on the PSN party system which works across all games. We are considering creating our own party-system to accommodate more ad hoc squad based play.

Sniper friendly map [coming soon]
As part of our free DLC, one of the first few maps being prepped for release has some long engagement distances that might help snipers suppress enemies and support their team. Of course, it is designed to have alternate routes that can help Supports and Assaults break the flank as well. Stay tuned for more news on our next map drop.

Ammo supply boxes showing up on the mini map [coming soon]
We’re not planning to have fixed ammo locations in the map, as the support class can place them anywhere in the map. However, we are working on ways to make these locations much more obvious on the radar.

Official Classic 24 player warzone [currently live]
We’ve created the warzone and it is live.

Display K/D ratio for everyone [not at the moment]
We do not think worrying about your deaths is the way to play Shadow Fall, and a lot of the community members actually enjoy our renewed focus on objectives and team based gameplay. That being said, all players have the ability to create Warzones with Kills and Deaths as Primary and Secondary sorting on the leaderboards.

Co-op mode to have playable Helghast [not at the moment]
Our team is currently working on the design of the co-op mode, and fine tuning the gameplay. Stay tuned for news on playable characters – we can’t confirm which characters you will play with at this time, but we can confirm you will not be playing as a Helghast.

Being able to identify my party members [in design]
We are designing ways for you to identify your team members and party members. One of the things we have done is print names of party members in blue on the scoreboard and in game. We’ll keep a close eye on this to see if this adds more clarity to players.

http://www.killzone.com/en_GB/blog/news/2013-12-04_player-voice-update-response-to-the-top-15-feedback-items.html

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Odd, honestly, it looks nothing like that (to me, should I add that quantifier?) when I play multiplayer. The visuals take a pretty massive hit coming from singleplayer, to the point where I thought it had a lower resolution even.

Though looking at those shots, I might be somehow mistaken (because yes, these look good). Are they direct captures from someone running that game on an actual PS4?

Weird, I'm weirded out.
Yes, those are captures from my own PS4 (via capture card, not the sharing feature). I made them just for this thread even.

Perhaps you need to make adjustments to your TV? It looks even nicer to me running live on my plasma as compared to looking closely at shots on an LCD monitor.

ref

Has anybody else gotten the single player 'corrupted data' message? I've gotten it twice now.

Been playing multiplayer with GAF and a few people now mentioned they got it as well, just curious if it's just a select few...

Would have made me go crazy if I was in the middle of the story, thankfully I had beaten and gotten all collectibles and trophies earlier, still though it concerns me this happened at all in the first place...even more so twice to me.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Currently playing the CoD:Ghosts campaign. Finished the BF4 campaign before that. So far, the KZ:SF campaign is easily the best. The campaign of Ghosts is just boring, without any "soul", and the storytelling is garbage. BF4's was fun, but I prefer KZ:SF's feel of a covert one-man show and it's beautiful sceneries.

Finished the single player today and I give it about a 4/10

I really didnt like the story.
It was also hard sometimes to figure out where to go and the markers were hard to see.
I think I got stuck at maybe 4 parts and had to retry like 15 times. At times where you had to hold off the enemy.

Overall It just felt kinda crappy.

I wanted huge war scenes like in Killzone 2 but all I got was this cold war, small skirmish stuff.

The main thing which kept me playing was just so I could see how pretty the next level or area looked.

=\

YeSp

Neo Member
Im almost done playing the campaign and so far its pretty good for a shooter.
- Like the setting and story premise (storytelling is hit and miss though)
- Missions are varied although they lack originality and can be confusing at times
- Gunplay feels great
- Dialogue can be very cheesy at times
- Graphics are amazing for a console
- Art and level design is top notch

Multiplayer is fun as wel. Although I hope they include some more open area levels.

Its a solid launch game in my opinion.

Savitar

Be nice to see things from the Helghast perspective, all of them can't be mindless. Plus they've really become the under dogs in all this, no matter what they do they get their asses kicked badly. Almost more of an irritation than a threat.

liger05

Up to chapter 6 and as feared I find it kinda boring. This is my first killzone and not once I have I felt I'm part of something epic. The story blows and there hasn't been any chapter I would like to repeat cos it's that good.

Coming from the 360 and Halo have to say KZ has a long way to go until it gets anywhere close to Halo.

Not tried multiplayer yet.

Nyx

- Missions are varied although they lack originality and can be confusing at times
- Gunplay feels great

Multiplayer is fun as wel. Although I hope they include some more open area levels.

Don't forget the soundtrack, it's amazing imo.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Currently playing the CoD:Ghosts campaign. Finished the BF4 campaign before that. So far, the KZ:SF campaign is easily the best. The campaign of Ghosts is just boring, without any "soul", and the storytelling is garbage. BF4's was fun, but I prefer KZ:SF's feel of a covert one-man show and it's beautiful sceneries.
Ghosts is definitely boring but I actually thought BF4 had a really decent campaign this time out.

That said, Killzone features much more interesting combat mechanics and offers a greater focus on close combat.

Kaswa101

I'm picking this up when PS4 launches next Friday in my country. General consensus seems to be that it's a worthwhile title, but I'm going in with low expectations. Hoping it's as good as some say.

CozMick

Banned
- Gunplay feels great

To be fair to Guerilla Games I've seen nothing on PC either that tops Shadowfalls visuals.

Nuszka

Got the game bundled last week. The only reason i finished it were the graphics. Completed the campaign on sunday and was expecting it not to be that great, i always come to everything open minded,but i ended beeing surprised how bad it was.Games structure, most missions , some set pices, story ... I just felt like i had to finish it as quick as possible and trade it it. Btw i loved KZ2, liked KZ3 but this ... It left such a a bad taste i barely tried mp. For any uk gaffers CEX takes it even if its without the bar code so i traded it in for AC4 - very happy with this one

RaikuHebi

Banned
So after the death fest that was Chapter 2, I managed to complete Chapter 3 with only 1 death (and I must say a very cool mission to carry out!).

boinx

To be fair to Guerilla Games I've seen nothing on PC either that tops Shadowfalls visuals.

Metro Last Light comes pretty close, and at times even better. That game is mostly closed and pretty small environments though. So maybe it's not the best comparison but damn does it look nice.

RaikuHebi

Banned

Metro Last Light comes pretty close, and at times even better. That game is mostly closed and pretty small environments though. So maybe it's not the best comparison but damn does it look nice.

Nice to hear. I have no experience of high-end PC gaming so I was assuming that KZSF wouldn't surprise the PC Master Race.

I'm through 6 chapters so far. Playing on easy since I'm new to the series and not a great FPS player. I'd echo the comments about liking the game more if you replay chapters. Especially chapter 2 - several ways to do that one. It's my face part of the game so far.

My FPS background is Half-Life and Bioshock. While the feel and atmosphere are on par with those franchises, the narrative and set pieces are not. That's OK, though, as I like what I'm playing. The open levels definitely remind a bit more of older, pre-HL games in a certain way.

This is one I may replay on harder difficulties. Unusually don't do that but this seems short enough and enjoyable enough to do so.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Two things i'd like to see in the sequel,

1) Allow one to Fly in a ship over Helgan / Vekta. A bombing or fighting against ships would be cool.

2) Far more open game play (there was simply not enough). Think Far Cry / Crysis 1 for some of the missions and a few corridor missions to keep the fans happy.

Two more missions to go.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
MP in Germany is dead, it's like 250 ppl playing the game, all within two war zones. That's just sad... can't remember Resistance foM doing this bad.

Networker

Banned
Complete and utter disappointment. Has a few good moments but mostly its just a boring campaign that lacks any
memorable set piece or combat encounters. The last 4 chapters are the just beyond horrible, just terrible game design.

well I am not a fan of Killzone either, but it wasn't that bad. I would actually play the campaign again after few month. Love the weapons and of course graphics.

What genius created the credits sequence.

Slowest scrolling credits ever. They're in just completely random order instead of alphabetic so no fucking clue when the hundreds long lists are nearing an end. Credits every single person that may have even thought about working on a video game in their lives and their mothers.

ditto, I actually came here to say the exact same thing

Nice to hear. I have no experience of high-end PC gaming so I was assuming that KZSF wouldn't surprise the PC Master Race.
I wouldn't say it surprised me exactly...

It's undoubtedly a beautiful game, but more or less on par w/what I had become accustomed to regarding the better looking games on my gaming PC. I still feel Crysis 3 was a little more impressive visually to me. I have no doubt that the PS4 will prove capable of powering better looking games than my mid-range machine can manage soon enough, however.

So I just finished the second chapter "The Ghost".

This is a huge improvement from the original Killzone games, which I saw as half rate COD clones. Guerilla games really went back to the drawing board for Shadow Fall and I think it really is reflected in the final product.

The way the game threw you into an open area and allowed you to approach your objectives in whatever order you wanted, along with optional objectives was great. I feel like this is missing from most shooters. The way the game gives you freedom really reminded me of a kind of combination of Crysis and Far Cry. It's great.

Of particular mention is the OWL. I don't really use two of it's functions properly yet, but I have been using the zipline feature quite a bit. It's so cool how you can use it almost anywhere to traverse the environment effortlessly. I really liked that part too. The shield is also getting heavy use from me but once I realised you can shoot through it, it felt like it made the game way too easy (and I'm playing on hard).

Visual presentation is top notch too, though that goes without saying.

Only real complaints? The open nature of the game means the checkpoint system is awkward and the opening chapter was poorly paced. I understood what they were going for but it just didn't resonate with me at all.

I hope the game remains "open" in future chapters, is all I can say going forward.

The OWL is amazing. GG don't get the respect they deserve for things they do well beyond visuals. Even then people are trying to downplay how fabulous this game looks for launch.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm on Chapter 9 and I think it's a very good campaign. It has been a fun shooter. /shrug. I don't get all the hate.

Because its not killzone.

there are basically no epic battles in the entire game. The closest we got is chapter 4 and that
was still a far cry away from the battles in killzone 2...heck even killzone 3. But that is the least of this games problems.

I was expecting some mass scale wars and all we got is some half assed skirmishes that lacked any excitement.

and before people shove down that " go play call of duty " bullshit, Killzone has never been call of duty, Its been about dynamic exciting battles, epic set pieces and visceral gunplay.

You can still have an open world sanbox style game with large scale battles - See Halo for example.

and Lucas Kellen might go down as the most pointless character in video game history. What the hell Guerrila? this was the perfect opportunity for you to introduce a new memorably character and give him an identity. And we got someone that is less memorable than Nathan Hale from resistance 1.

After completing it again on normal. I think its almost on par with Resistance 2. Resistance 2 has the edge because of that awesome Chicago bridge sequence that is more exciting than anything in shadow fall.

Atleast the multiplayer is fantastic...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

there are basically no epic battles in the entire game. The closest we got is chapter 4 and that
was still a far cry away from the battles in killzone 2...heck even killzone 3. But that is the least of this games problems.

I was expecting some mass scale wars and all we got is some half assed skirmishes that lacked any excitement.

and before people shove down that " go play call of duty " bullshit, Killzone has never been call of duty, Its been about dynamic exciting battles, epic set pieces and visceral gunplay.

You can still have an open world sanbox style game with large scale battles - See Halo for example.

and Lucas Kellen might go down as the most pointless character in video game history. What the hell Guerrila? this was the perfect opportunity for you to introduce a new memorably character and give him an identity. And we got someone that is less memorable than Nathan Hale from resistance 1.

After completing it again on normal. I think its almost on par with Resistance 2. Resistance 2 has the edge because of that awesome Chicago bridge sequence that is more exciting than anything in shadow fall.

Killzone has mostly been intimate encounters aside from a few set piece moments. I really disagree with the idea the the series is just major battles. Usually you were just one person going through a small area while a bigger battle raged around you. In Shadow Fall there isn't a bigger conflict going on.

I beg to differ on the epic fights, I thought the later chapters have had some cool epic battles. Also in the reviews they complained about the non shooter steering parts but I thought they were fine. They felt natural and intuitive. Didn't die once. I have played every Killzone and think this is the best one since 2. Difference in this one is you are a Shadow Operative. Being on the front lines of a huge epic battle with other soilders all around you is not part of this game.

sector4

Totally agree on all points, the closest it got was in Chapter 9 right
before you get to Stahl
but it never came close to KZ2 in terms of visceral action and holy shit moments of gunplay.

nOoblet16

Playing on hard and dear God I hate the chapter 9 final fight. The game throws you in an area with barely any cover and then makes you fight 20 enemies with shields, energy barriers, heavy machine guns and tons of grenades. The rail gun is too weak as you need to empty half or more than half of the clip to kill one enemy, the OWL is prettyuch useless because the enemies just run at you. You only have 3 adrenaline packs on the floor and they are all near the area where the enemy wave starts.

Speaking of waves it's 10 plus enemies from two different locations. This is bad game design, another frustrating level was where Echo had to hack and Kellen had to close the doors to keep the enemy waves from coming, the 2nd door was bad because of the two AR bots and multiple enemies camping beside the console, if it wasn't for emp grenade it would have been impossible.

I've liked the game so far but all the big fights have been disappointing because they all rely on the same tactic, ice. You are dropped off in an area and made to survive wave after wave. Nothing like the bridge level in KZ2 or the fort level in KZ2 where you had to keep pushing.

Camjo-Z

I've never played a Killzone game before aside from Liberation, but I think Shadowfall is the worst fucking campaign I have ever seen in a shooter. I had more fun with Colonial Marines than this. My brother's been playing through the story mode first and since he didn't bother with any collectibles I thought "well maybe I'll try and get those for an easy trophy while I play it myself".

Play Chapter 2, find one collectible. Look online for a guide and discover that they're hidden in the most stupid, inane places possible for no reason whatsoever. Try the chapter again and get forced to replay the same section three times because they placed one of the collectibles on a rock surrounded by insta-kill water that can only be reached by dropping on it from a zipline. Doesn't help that the level itself was boring too.

I'm now playing Chapter 3 and extremely tempted to just cut my losses and quit. I've got the gamma up on the highest setting and I still can't see shit, I spend half the time trying to figure out where I am and what I'm supposed to do since everything looks the same, and on top of all that the one fight I've gotten into so far was taken care of by simply sending my OWL into the room and hiding behind a wall. On Normal difficulty.

1385201074682.gif

codhand

havn't played metro, but man you really have to replay c3. KZ looks better in basacially every aspect..

you mean Crysis 3 on consoles? otherwise i have no idea why you would say that. i replayed Crysis 3 in 3D last week,

I've never played a Killzone game before aside from Liberation, but I think Shadowfall is the worst fucking campaign I have ever seen in a shooter. I had more fun with Colonial Marines than this. My brother's been playing through the story mode first and since he didn't bother with any collectibles I thought "well maybe I'll try and get those for an easy trophy while I play it myself".

Play Chapter 2, find one collectible. Look online for a guide and discover that they're hidden in the most stupid, inane places possible for no reason whatsoever. Try the chapter again and get forced to replay the same section three times because they placed one of the collectibles on a rock surrounded by insta-kill water that can only be reached by dropping on it from a zipline. Doesn't help that the level itself was boring too.

I'm now playing Chapter 3 and extremely tempted to just cut my losses and quit. I've got the gamma up on the highest setting and I still can't see shit, I spend half the time trying to figure out where I am and what I'm supposed to do since everything looks the same, and on top of all that the one fight I've gotten into so far was taken care of by simply sending my OWL into the room and hiding behind a wall. On Normal difficulty.

invalidated due to bolded.

And yes ive actually played it

Kimppis

there are basically no large battles in the entire game. The closest we got is chapter 4 and that was still a far cry away from the battles in killzone 2...heck even killzone 3.

I was expecting some mass scale wars and all we got is skirmishes

Fixed. So good, imo. Fits to the game so well. Killzone 2 was often too hectic, even cheap. It's been a few days since I completed Shadow Fall and I've come to the conclusion that it is probably the best KZ campaign. A little flawed, but solid. Don't get me wrong, I like Killzone 2 too.

This is the first time I'm playing KZ multiplayer and I'm having a blast. Great stuff.

Killzone Liberation an Merc didn't have "epic" battles, yet people had no problem calling them Killzone games.

And those big battles in Killzone games were nothing but background, you never were really in some giant battle, it was background visuals and scripted sequences. It was never even close to the open large battles you found in the Halo series, KZ battles were nothing but corridor shooter same old ground.

The star of the game is also Echo of course. Next game should star her kicking Vektan ass.

1385201074682.gif

These kinds of posts..... I don't know how to respond. Is this your first time gaming son?

And the KZ2 fans need to go replay that game. There is nothing resembling huge battles in that game except at the end. They are what you would consider 20v5 battles or around there in CQC mostly. I replayed it recently and some people are clearly being guided by nostalgia. I liked the game on replay but it didn't blow my mind at all and was quite dated graphically.

Camjo-Z

invalidated due to bolded.

And yes ive actually played it

At least watching Xenomorphs stumble around and get glitched in walls was comical. I haven't found anything entertaining in Shadowfall's campaign so far.

These kinds of posts..... I don't know how to respond. Is this your first time gaming son?

Most people would respond with why they feel the game is good if they disagreed with my opinion so strongly, rather than resorting to condescension. Is this your first time on a forum son?

Top Bottom