• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: This is what Xbox games look like on 'Project Scorpio' (Tech Demos)

black070

Looks great, though I'm curious as to how they're going to show case it at E3 with everyone tuning in via streams etc. Sony had trouble doing it with the Pro at their reveal conference, I figure the best bet would be to simply keep the focus on games with a little tag at the bottom detailing the specs e.g. 4K/30fps etc per gameplay vid.

Doffen

But outside of the IQ of the screenshot which is pretty decent, its nothing XB1 could not do. How will E3 which will be livestreamed, sell Scorpio as a product specifically?

These images show enhancements Scorpio can make to existing Xbox One titles by virtue of resolution bumps alone, without any additional tweaking and features that utilize Scorpio's monstrous specs.

Looks great, though I'm curious as to how they're going to show case it at E3 with everyone tuning in via streams etc. Sony had trouble doing it with the Pro at their reveal conference, I figure the best bet would be to simply keep the focus on games with a little tag at the bottom detailing the specs e.g. 4K/30fps etc per gameplay vid.

Hopefully they will have some games that look graphically impressive, so they don't have to rely on talking about 4k and HDR too much because like you say, it doesn't demo well unless you can see it in person.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

That doesn't answer the question i'm musing over...considering MS are not really mandating devs to even take advantage of Scorpio to begin with, and even then, resolution bumps as shown in these pictures are not going to be handled by MS.

Like Pro, they would have to be handled by developers who will likely only put in the bare minimum.

Scorpio's specs like Pro will be taken advantage of in this way by developers(higher res, higher res textures ect), this is how they are taken advantage of by default.

The article wrong;y assumes that these pictures are somehow not taking advantage of Scorpio's power with the IQ boosts and texture improvements, when they are.

My question has to do with whether or not that is enough for MS to sell this unit considering how much Pro struggled doing the same, and whether or not the concept of the iterative unit can ever truly be something big with developers hands tied in this manner.

From "Where are the games?"

to

"What are THESE games?"

Lol

But yeah... cool pics...

Edit: Yo, we should totally start a guessing game for what these games are in the OP.... I'll take the L. Those are just tech demos..?

Lmao I was going to say something along these lines.

"Look how cool and totally worth the price our new hardware is: A bug! This Palin-looking woman!"

gafneo

Banned
I'd be 1000 times more impressed if they eliminated load screens. The laggy Xbox 1 dashboard needs an overhaul. If they can demo an improved ver of that, I'm in.

jaypah

Lmao I was going to say something along these lines.

"Look how cool and totally worth the price our new hardware is: A bug! This Palin-looking woman!"

You were going to say that about a presentation shown to MS development partners? That seems...odd. But I've seen stranger stuff on GAF so I guess it's not that odd.

rokkerkory

Maybe MS will do similar type of comparo during e3 for the games. Sliders in real-time showing the differences and also side by side. Kinda like DF vids.

Can't wait... difference is there just with simple res bump and it's just beginning of what system can do.

Mister Wolf

scorpio-lady-render-4k-closer.png

New Bioshock confirmed.

Fredrik

These are perfect examples why I'm starting to think they should focus on framerates instead. At first glance I see no difference between these pics, like at all. If the new 5x more powerful hardware was put to good use I should instinctively scream wow when seeing how Scorpio games will look, even on my phone.

Time to start hoping for a video settings menu so I can tweak the games as I wish.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
These are perfect examples why I'm starting to think they should focus on framerates instead. At first glance I see no difference between these pics, like at all. If the new 5x more powerful hardware was put to good use I should instinctively scream wow when seeing how Scorpio games will look, even on my phone.

Time to start hoping for a video settings menu so I can tweak the games as I wish.

There's only so much iterative units can improve on having to target software for hardware much weaker. That's unfortunately just a fact of life.

Marketing making people feel the difference is bigger than it is both Sony and MS's challenge.

Tyaren

I'd abstain from characters with brushwood for hair, if I wanted to highlight what the Scorpio is able to do. ;) Doesn't look very impressive to me.

Branduil

I wonder if we're going to end up looking back on these "pro" half-step consoles the way we look at all those CD console add-ons the game industry was obsessed with in the 16-bit era.

panda-zebra

I wonder if we're going to end up looking back on these "pro" half-step consoles the way we look at all those CD console add-ons the game industry was obsessed with in the 16-bit era.

Doubtful. The add-ons brought their own, often unique titles. These new machines bring exactly the same games just better. If that matters to people, they will consider them. The add-ons were the real half-steps, companies wanting to hold onto their existing playerbase by tethering new hardware to old.

ffvorax

>tech demo

Would be better to see how real games are in comparison...

Also not so impressive for a tech demo, Horizon looks way better... :\

EGM1966

As with Pro to an extent I'm expecting a ton of myhem in comparison threads and the like around this.

I see the difference - and it looks quite nice to me, but from my experiences on PC I'm used to seeing games across different specs and have a believe decent experience of what to look for.

But as with Pro it's obvious that games that have to look decent on XB1 aren't going to look like totally different games on Scorpio and many will find the upgrade to not be what they were expecting (interms of visuals - hopefully performance boosts would be more apparent).

Branduil

Doubtful. The add-ons brought their own, often unique titles. These new machines bring exactly the same games just better. If that matters to people, they will consider them. The add-ons were the real half-steps, companies wanting to hold onto their existing playerbase by tethering new hardware to old.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the systems themselves, but I feel like the hype is pretty out of control for what amounts to modest upgrades of existing graphics.

Fredrik

There's only so much iterative units can improve on having to target software for hardware much weaker. That's unfortunately just a fact of life.

Marketing making people feel the difference is bigger than it is both Sony and MS's challenge.
It works on PC, doesn't it? My 980ti is almost 6 TF, I can run everything at 60fps with better graphics than on XB1 and PS4. Will I get to do that on Scorpio? I doubt it since all they brag about is 4K and supersampling.

Top Bottom