• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Odin Sphere with Dem 5 reviews lmao

To be fair I cherry picked that one lol. PS4 version is at 87 with 49 reviews.

Thats still an upgrade over the original PS2 Odin Sphere sitting at 83.

Realeza

Banned
i cant speak for the other games, but TLOU:Re is a bad example because it adds a very similar amount of content yet stays the same score, where as MK8D jumped 6 points. i'm not saying mk8d doesnt deserve it's current score, but something is weird
Mario Kart 8 was underrated on WiiU. Critics finally realized is one of the best games of all time, and plus the additions, the result is a higher score.

FinalAres

Hard boot

Switch Digital - 14 seconds
Switch Physical - 18 seconds
Wii U Digital - 29 seconds
Wii U Physical - 33 seconds

Loading track
Switch Digital - 10 seconds
Switch Physical - 12 seconds
Wii U digital - 15 seconds
Wii U physical - 19 seconds
Wow. That makes me so happy! Plus time saved not switching cards. #Alldigitalmasterrace

I'm confused. Just because a game is re-released for a new platform with extra content means that it should automatically be a budget release?

Also "anyone but Nintendo" rhetoric is getting really stale. It was hilarious with Zelda but now it's just depressing.

I agree, and it is the entire game plus DLC. I guess the mentality is that GOTY editions are usually cheaper but still this for some reason rubs me the wrong way. I am fine paying full price.

Edit: Looks like my decision to go digital for this title is paying off.

Interfectum

i cant speak for the other games, but TLOU:Re is a bad example because it adds a very similar amount of content yet stays the same score, where as MK8D jumped 6 points. i'm not saying mk8d doesnt deserve it's current score, but something is weird

Let us know how your investigation pans out.

The vast majority of Vanilla MK8 reviews panned the game for having a lackluster battle mode, it doesn't anymore.

mingo

I don't get why people don't understand why there is a six point difference between MK8 and MK8D. Let's flip this for a moment. If MK8D was release 3 years ago and got the 94 scores and now being release today minus 16 tracks, minus most of the MP mode, minus serveral characters, minus portable mode, lower resolution and slightly worse framerate it would certainly review more then 6 points less.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
As they say in the comments the digital copy was installed to the Switch storage rather than an SD card.

I am guessing (based on Zelda) that a fast external SD is closer to physical than Switch internal. Still not awful.. would just love to eventually someday see an external SD card closer to Switch's internal flash than carts.

Also interesting, MK8DX is currently the number two selling game on Amazon... for all of 2017 YTD. Only behind Zelda.

Minsc

Gold Member
I am guessing (based on Zelda) that a fast external SD is closer to physical than Switch internal. Still not awful.. would just love to eventually someday see an external SD card closer to Switch's internal flash than carts.

Also interesting, MK8DX is currently the number two selling game on Amazon... for all of 2017 YTD. Only behind Zelda.

They make SD cards which are faster than Switch's internal storage, that is not something you need to wait someday for. The issue lies with the Switch itself, it is not capable of reading SD cards at a higher speed than what it reads at currently. That is why the really expensive SD cards are no faster than the really cheap ones in the Switch. Perhaps in a hardware revision or sorts.

Nostalgia aside, MK8 is the best game in the series and with the DLC its not even a question. Its not perfect but thats where MK8D comes in to fix Battle Mode and add even more characters and features.

When MK8 was relatively new I had a friend argue with me that Super Mario Kart and MK64 were better. I said no, maybe in the 90s but they've been surpassed post MK8.

Gotta agree. Every Mario Kart will have a spot in my heart (........maybe excluding MK7), but I think 8 has firmly taken the crown now as favourite for me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was hoping to be done with Zelda so MK would be the new 'glued into the card slot' game. But both my kids are still playing. I have the physical version preordered at £40 from Amazon. What's the cheapest digital option? £50 in the UK, what's the US price?

Also annoyed that I sent my joycons back to Nintendo last week, hoping to get them back before Friday. But they still haven't updated the status since last Thursday so that won't happen :/ I need to be patient and not buy another pair..

jariw

It's not just about the content. Go back and read the original MK8 reviews. A lot of the negatives then was related to the really poor implementation of the Battle Mode. Battle Mode has been completely reworked in MK8 DX.

It might also be worth noting that the original Splatoon also got a lot of score reduction for the low amount of available modes, weapons and maps on release day. Splatoon 2 has a potential to get better review scores than Splatoon 1, just because Nintendo might use a different release approach for that game.

My copy just shipped. Hopefully I like it. Mario Kart DS was the last MK I was really into. Loathed Double Dash and that kind of sidelined me for a while. Haven't played any others since.

I was hoping to be done with Zelda so MK would be the new 'glued into the card slot' game. But both my kids are still playing. I have the physical version preordered at £40 from Amazon. What's the cheapest digital option? £50 in the UK, what's the US price?

Also annoyed that I sent my joycons back to Nintendo last week, hoping to get them back before Friday. But they still haven't updated the status since last Thursday so that won't happen :/ I need to be patient and not buy another pair..
You can get a Japanese E-Shop code for MK8D for about £40 from Amazon.jp.
It has all the languages and it should unlock in 19h.

borghe

When do digital games in the Eshop unlock locally? At midnight?

the answer is "sometime o'clock"

/sigh

realistically.. most stuff seems to unlock at noon. obviously would be awesome if Nintendo put this up at midnight. Sadly at this point Switch doesn't have pre-orders or pre-loads (even though Wii U has both)

holy crap.. I just saw this.. hmm..

I think Nintendo games unlock at midnight. This is the first big title for the Switch since launch so there's​ no certainty that it will be there at midnight.

Syinn

Neo Member
I don't get why people are questioning the reviews.

Like others have said battlemode in the original was shittttt! You played on race maps which just weren't built with battle mode in mind.

Now dlc tracks are part of the package and the proper battle mode maps and game types are there as well. For new players this is a great purchase and deserves all the praise it gets.

I'm double dipping. I loved battle mode and was very disappointed by the Wii U's version, deluxe is gonna be great for anyone who likes Mario kart.

the answer is "sometime o'clock"

/sigh

realistically.. most stuff seems to unlock at noon. obviously would be awesome if Nintendo put this up at midnight. Sadly at this point Switch doesn't have pre-orders or pre-loads (even though Wii U has both)
It is a first party game so it should be at midnight. Well see i guess

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Perfect - done. Can now cancel the physical version. Will it unlock at midnight on the 28th Japan time? So Thursday 4pm UK time?

Edit: getting error code 2813-6571. Do I have to wait until it unlocks before the code can be redeemed?

Perfect - done. Can now cancel the physical version. Will it unlock at midnight on the 28th Japan time? So Thursday 4pm UK time?
That's what is expected. Don't forget you have to create a Japanese account on your Switch but the game will be playable in any other account you have on the console.
Amazon will send you the code immediately but it won't work until Nintendo unlocks it in the eShop.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's what is expected. Don't forget you have to create a Japanese account on your Switch but the game will be playable in any other account you have on the console.
Amazon will send you the code immediately but it won't work until Nintendo unlocks it in the eShop.

Yeah, I went through the pain with puyo puyo. Was much smoother sailing this time. Hopefully they don't IP sense - for kindle books I usually use a VPN because Amazon JP doesn't like me ordering too often from a non-Japanese IP address.

Thanks! Do I need to create a new amazon account?

Yes. Doesn't take long though and it accepted my uk debit card. You might need a Japanese postal address but a quick google will walk you through it.

borghe

Edit: getting error code 2813-6571. Do I have to wait until it unlocks before the code can be redeemed?

unsure. Are you redeeming it on your JPN Nintendo account?

edit - ahh I just saw. So it won't be enterable until it unlocks? ok.

If they do release DLC, would that need to be bought from the JP store as well?

we have no way of knowing yet. I would guess not. Every digital game I have shows up as Purchased on the JPN shop, and we've confirmed that so far all games(?) only have a single SKU worldwide.. but yeah, we just don't know yet.

FinalAres

I'm confused. Just because a game is re-released for a new platform with extra content means that it should automatically be a budget release?

Also "anyone but Nintendo" rhetoric is getting really stale. It was hilarious with Zelda but now it's just depressing.

I actually don't think games should be priced down because they're re releases. People are always complaining about slapping a full price tag on a non-brand new game though, so it's a common complaint. I must admit I thought that extended to reviews but I was wrong.

As for the "anyone but Nintendo" rhetoric, what youve got to understand is that it's not anything against Nintendo. It's against the press. Games like Skyward Sword got "classic level" reviews when they came out, and 3D World is the same. Not that 3D World is a bad game, but generally people look at it in the context of other games and other Mario's and say "not up there with the classics". And yet again top tier reviews. Looking slightly down the scale, Metroid other M a great score of 79. Pikmin 3, great game. One of the best of all time? Scored 87 on mc. That's nearly Horizon level. Maybe it is just that Nintendo makes much better games than every other developer, but it just looks like Nintendo games get scored on a different scale.

Doubt it. BOTW's DLC is region free.

unsure. Are you redeeming it on your JPN Nintendo account?

edit - ahh I just saw. So it won't be enterable until it unlocks? ok.

we have no way of knowing yet. I would guess not. Every digital game I have shows up as Purchased on the JPN shop, and we've confirmed that so far all games(?) only have a single SKU worldwide.. but yeah, we just don't know yet.
Thanks both.

Coffinhal

Wow. That makes me so happy! Plus time saved not switching cards. #Alldigitalmasterrace

A master race 10 euros more expensive + price of the SD card if you take one + not being able to share it easily (or sell it).
I'll take the 2-4 seconds of loading time and the switching cards.

The "extra content" is really thin. It didn't took them a lot of time to add a few characters, kart parts and a proper battle mode. They can do it because there is almost nothing available on the Switch, because the Switch is out of stock and people buy it and because few people played MK8, but that doesn't make is a good price.

They'll make a huge margin out of this (because there's almost only marketing cost) and sorry to tell you this but some people have the right to question that kind of commercial policy. You fanboys also have the right to defend Nintendo until death, but that's a bit childish and conservative.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
So... how likely is it that the Switch online service won't crash the day after tomorrow?

You're hugely massively overestimating the number of Switch consoles in the wild.

The "extra content" is really thin. It didn't took them a lot of time to add a few characters, kart parts and a proper battle mode.

They'll make a huge margin out of this (because there's almost only marketing cost) and sorry to tell you this but some people have the right to question that kind of commercial policy.

Nothing is forcing you to buy it at full price, to be fair. Wait it out for a sale, that's what I usually do.

I actually don't think games should be priced down because they're re releases. People are always complaining about slapping a full price tag on a non-brand new game though, so it's a common complaint. I must admit I thought that extended to reviews but I was wrong.

As for the "anyone but Nintendo" rhetoric, what youve got to understand is that it's not anything against Nintendo. It's against the press. Games like Skyward Sword got "classic level" reviews when they came out, and 3D World is the same. Not that 3D World is a bad game, but generally people look at it in the context of other games and other Mario's and say "not up there with the classics". And yet again top tier reviews. Looking slightly down the scale, Metroid other M a great score of 79. Pikmin 3, great game. One of the best of all time? Scored 87 on mc. That's nearly Horizon level. Maybe it is just that Nintendo makes much better games than every other developer, but it just looks like Nintendo games get scored on a different scale.

Could also be that Nintendo makes the sort of games other developers don't, so it's difficult to draw a peer-to-peer review or judge their titles based on the standards set in genre that is limited to their games for the most part. What is the standard for kart racers? We don't know because only a few developers have tried to make one and for the most part they've failed.

Robin64

The "extra content" is really thin. It didn't took them a lot of time to add a few characters, kart parts and a proper battle mode.

You think those eight beautifully crafted battle arenas were done overnight? Not to mention the core of this team is making ARMS, so they were already stretched thin.

Top Bottom