• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Welcome to the NeoGAF Star Wars Destiny CCG Official Topic!

What Is Star Wars Destiny?

Captain Phasma and Count Dooku battle Han Solo and Luke Skywalker in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. Jango Fett and Jabba the Hutt attack Rey and Finn as they pass through the frozen wastes of Starkiller Base. Play out your own epic, saga-spanning, ”what if" battles in Star Wars™: Destiny, a collectible dice and card game for two players!

In every game of Star Wars: Destiny, you'll gather your small team of iconic characters and battle to defeat your foes, using your dice and the cards in your deck. The last player with characters left standing wins the game, but to successfully outmaneuver your opponent, you'll need to carefully consider your options and enhance your deck with new dice and cards. If you ever wondered who would win a duel between two teams of heroes and villains from the Star Wars universe, there's no better way to find out than with Star Wars: Destiny.

Essentially its roots are a CCG from Fantasy Flight Games (makers of X-Wing miniatures game, Android Netrunner LCG, Imperial Assault miniatures games, Star Wars LCG, etc). However unlike a traditional CCG (Magic, Pokemon, etc), the two highest levels of card rarity comes with a matching die per each card. Each booster pack comes with 3 common cards, 1 uncommon card, and a rare card with its corresponding die. In mostly fixed distribution, 6 random packs per booster box have their rare card/die replaced with a legendary card/die.

swd01_layout_good.png

swd01_character-card_diagram.png

How To Play
The most important card/die type to start with in the game are characters. The game is divided into two factions (hero and villain), and each faction has its own characters. Whether Luke Skywalker or a Rebel Commando for the heroes, or Darth Vader or a Tusken Raider for the villains. Each of these factions then has their characters divided up between three colors. Red for command (military), Yellow for Rogue (smugglers and bounty hunters), and Blue for Force (Jedi and Sith).

You start by fielding characters up to a 30 point limit. Characters have character costs associated to them, allowing you to mix and match characters and colors from within your faction until you hit 30 points. Generic characters (like a Commando or Tusken raider) only have one die per character. Unique characters like Luke or Vader can be played with one or two dice per character, with the two die version (called elite) costing more points.

Once you have your characters, you put them out on the table in front of you, put all of their dice on their cards, take two resource tokens and pick your battlefield, which we'll come back to later. You both roll out all of your character dice. The person who rolls higher gets to pick who goes first. The player who goes second gets two shields to split up between their characters.

The Turn
Now that we know who goes first, the turn starts. Destiny at its heart (though this is getting more... complicated) is "you take an action, then I take an action". So the first player takes his turn. He can do one of the following actions

Play a card from his hand
Activate a character or support
Resolve dice
Discard a card from his hand to reroll any number of his dice
Taken an action printed on a card (that says Action)
Pass (do nothing)
Claim the battlefield

After he does his action, then his opponent takes their action. This continues back and forth until the round ends. Once the round ends, all players ready their activated/exhausted characters and cards, draw cards from their deck up until they have a total of five in their hand, get two more resources, and start the next round.

How to Win
The game continues as explained above until all of one player's characters are defeated, or if a Turn ends with one or both players having no cards remaining in their hand or in their deck.

Actions
So what are the actions a player can take?

Play a card - This is the action every CCG player knows. Play a card from their hand. It can be an Upgrade that they attach to a character, a Support that they play to the field (often vehicles or droids), or an Event that affects the game (think Instant in Magic or Trainer card in Pokemon). When you play an Upgrade or Support, most of the time these cards have a die associated with them. You then place the corresponding die on the card. Each card has a cost associated with it in the upper right corner, and you pay for that cost with resource from your resource pool.

Activate - When you activate either a character or support, you roll out all dice that are attached to it. For supports this will usually just be the one die for the card. For characters, it will be the one (or both for elite characters) for the character, AND all dice for the upgrades attached to that character. So elite Darth Vader (two dice) has three upgrades attached to him that all have dice, you will be rolling out five dice. Non-elite Luke (one die) with one upgrade will be rolling out two dice. By rolling their dice in, you've now activated that character or support.

Resolving dice - So now that all of those dice are rolled in (or maybe you even activated multiple characters or supports), what can you do? You resolve dice! Every die can have one of eight faces: Ranged damage, Melee damage, Shield, Discard, Disrupt, Resource, Special, or Blank. To resolve dice, you can pick one type of face for that action, and resolve as many dice rolled into your pool showing that face as you want. Have 6 dice showing ranged damage? Resolve all six!! Have one die showing Discard, but three showing Range? Choose to resolve the discard or instead choose to resolve the range.

Most of these faces appear to be self explanatory. Damage does damage to the opposing characters trying to kill them. Shield allows you to place a number of shields on a character. Discard forces your opponent to discard a number of cards. Disrupt gets rid of a number of your opponents resources. Resource gives YOU a number of resources. Blank does nothing (and can't be resolved). Finally special is exactly that. It does specifically what the text says on the card for its special effect.

Reroll - So what happens when you rolled out 5 blanks? Are you just stuck with it? NO!! As an action, you can discard a card from your hand and reroll any number of your dice already rolled into your pool. In fact in some games this ends up being the primary use for the cards in your hand :p Of course you ultimately have to decide if that super awesome card is worth getting rid of to change your dice results, but that's what's so great about this game. A high risk vs. reward if things just seem to not be going your way.

Action - Some cards have the word "Action" printed on them. This is an effect you can take at anytime by simply saying so. "Action - Take 1 damage to reroll a die" would mean you deal 1 damage to that character to reroll any die in the pool (this is a real effect, and yes you can even use it to reroll your opponent's dice!!)

latest

Claim the battlefield - Remember how I said there was a battlefield before? Well each battlefield has a claim ability on it. Maybe it's get a resource. Maybe it's do damage to your opponent. Maybe it's remove one of their dice from the pool. Once you claim the battlefield you have effectively ended your turn. Only one player can claim the battlefield per turn. Once they've done that, they pass the rest of their actions and their opponent keeps taking actions until they similarly pass their turn.

SWD03_167.jpg

Pass - Lastly, you can pass. Don't have any good action at this second but don't want to claim the battlefield quite yet in case you can stop your opponent from doing something? Just pass. They can take their action and you now still have an opportunity to respond. Once all players have passed consecutively, the turn ends. (remember, if you claimed the battlefield, you automatically pass for all actions after)

So what's out and where can I buy!?!

Fantasy Flight has stated their goal is to release one core set with starter decks, and two expansions every year.

Awakenings (170 cards) - Released December 2016
So this is sort of the core set, but not really. This was the original release of Destiny. Unfortunately retailers and distributors pre-ordered a very small quantity initially, and as a result the set sold out very quickly. Unfortunately this makes it very difficult to buy booster packs, and a little expensive to buy single cards. However the starter decks are finally once against readily available in most game stores for $15 each. And good news!! The set is currently back in reprinting and will be available once again in June 2017. Fantasy Flight has called this a limited reprint, but have acknowledged that it will be substantially larger than the initial print. Reading between the lines, it seems clear that Awakenings is now intended to be this year's core set.
Available as:
Starter Decks $14.99 MSRP (Hero or Villain versions)
Booster packs $2.99 MSRP (5 cards and one die per pack. 36 packs per box. Each box includes 6 legendary cards/dice replacing the rare card/die in 6 packs)

Spirit of Rebellion (160 cards) - Released May 4th 2017
This is the first expansion, and fortunately seems to be fairly readily available in most parts of the world. Again, it seems to have been under-/late-ordered by a number of stores, but most gaming shops seem to have plenty of boxes still in almost a week later, and there's another wave of boxes coming in two weeks later, and still two more waves after that. In the rare chance you can't get boosters from this set, wait two more weeks and plenty should be available.
Available as:
Booster packs $2.99 MSRP (5 cards and one die per pack. 36 packs per box. Each box includes 6 legendary cards/dice replacing the rare card/die in 6 packs)

Can I play an online version?
Obviously the number one way to see this game succeed is by buying it. However given the scarcity of the original set, and the difficulty that can be found in playing locally at a game store because of that scarcity.. I really feel that Tabletop Simulator needs to be addressed here. Tabletop Simulator is a game available on Steam that does exactly what it's name says. There is a module available for it on Steam Workshop that allows you to play Star Wars Destiny pretty close to perfectly. On top of that, the TTS community for Destiny is in fact very active. So if you like the game, please please please please obviously buy the packs, find a local game store and play it in person. By far the best way to play it!! But in the times where it simply doesn't work to make it down to the store, or if you just are having a hard time buying packs, TTS is really a tremendous alternative to those issues. Just note that the TTS module is unofficial, community supported, and presumably up for a cease and desist (they use copyrighted material) at any moment. That being said, it is currently a viable way to play the game.

edit - Per a post in this thread, it seems the TTS mod author sort of obtained permission from FFG? It sounds like this is allowed to fly under the radar of FFG until it's not. Basically it sounds like they said they aren't going to shut it down now, but that could change in the future.

Notable Resources:
Official FFG page: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-destiny/
Official forums: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/forum/510-star-wars-destiny/
Destiny DB (Deck builder and database): http://swdestinydb.com/
CardGameDB (official FFG deck builder for all LCG/CCG): http://www.cardgamedb.com
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/swdestiny/
Knights of Ren (podcast): http://shoutengine.com/KnightsofRen/
TinyGrimes (podcast): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyGXHChyrL8tOKEwlQrq3bg
Jedi Trials: https://www.facebook.com/TheJediTrials/
Organized Play (currently starting the Store Championship season): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/events/

borghe

Upcoming Sets

Empire At War Q3'17
WPQr2Dz.png

Not much is known about this yet. It was just announced at Star Wars Celebration 2017. And yes, FFG still loves Sabine.

Upcoming Events

Store Championships May 13 - Aug 26
These are usually the first events of the new competitive season. The winner of a store championship gets a first round bye at a regional championship event.
US Locations
International Locations (coming soon)

Regional Championships TBD
The Regional championships allow players to qualify for first round byes at the National Championships. The season begins after the close of the Store Championship season.

European Championships June 2-4
UK Games Expo https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/11/21/the-2017-european-championships/

North American Championships Gen Con Aug 17-20

The North American and European Championships are the two largest championships outside of Worlds. They are free for all, no first round byes. The winner of each gets hotel and air fare to the next Worlds, as well as a second reserved entry to Worlds for a companion. Also typically (though it hasn't been announced yet), the rest of the top 4 at European and North American Championships also receive reservations to the next Worlds as well.

Nationals
US NOVA Open Aug 31 - Sep 3
International Coming Soon
Winners of Regionals gets a first round bye at Nationals. The top 4 winners at Nationals get reserved spots at Worlds, with the Champion also getting a second reserved spot as well as hotel and air fare for themselves.

Miscellaneous

Here are the 4 card rarities:

Common
3ALCIcx.png

You get three of these in every booster. Does not have a corresponding die.

Uncommon
azelSQO.png

You get one of these in every booster. Does not have a corresponding die.

Rare
jjBRzNr.png

You get one of these in every booster. The corresponding die is also in the same booster.

Legendary
pFYBbJc.png

Six random boosters in every box has its Rare card/die replaced with this card/die.

Organized Play
Fantasy Flight supports organized play through two main avenues:

Seasonal Kits
These are usually released once a quarter. For prize support they contain:
16 alternate art cards (used for participation prizes in a 16 player tournament)
2 alternate art cards (so far have been characters)
2 packs of acrylic tokens (Q1 was resources, Q2 is 1 Damage tokens)

Most stores will run a 16 player tournament, and allow the top 4 players to pick (in ranking order) from the elite cards and tokens.

Store Championships
With Worlds behind us, the Store Championship season is now kicking off. The list of participating stores can be found here. Each Store Championship will have:
32 alternate art cards (Apparently this year is The Best Defense). Again, for just participating
2 alternate art character cards (Captain Phasma for 2017)
deckboxes (unknown how many)
a Captain Phasma playmat (likely for the champion)
a champion plaque

Store Championships are highly competitive, as the winner will get a first round bye at the regional championships.

Regional Championships
After the Store Championship season ends begins Regionals. Prize support is often very similar to Store Champs, with one exception. The winner of a Regional Championship also gets a reserved spot at Worlds, as well as a first round bye at Worlds.

National Championships
Not too familiar on this, but I know there are national championships. The US National Championship is being held at the Nova Open at the end of August. Again similar rewards, with the top 4 getting guaranteed spots at Worlds, and the winner getting air fare and hotel to worlds. Apparently there are international Nationals, but I don't have any info on those.

Continental Championships
Again, typical prize support, and the top 4 get spots get spots at Worlds, with the top spot also getting air fare and hotel.
European: http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?subcat=ffg
North American: Gen Con

Worlds 2018
All of this culminates in the World Championships for Star Wars in May 2018. Held at FFG's headquarters in Minneapolis, MN. All regional winners, and the top 4 finalists from nationals and continentals, as well as all previous Worlds winners (which we only have one so far) are all given spots. Remaining spots are then put up in a mad rush on FFGs site. Having gone in 2017 now I have to say this is truly a unique and amazing experience. Even if you are going for just Destiny, being able to see the World Finals for Star Wars LCG, Imperial Assault, Armada, and X-Wing. Definitely one of tabletop gaming's biggest events ever year.

ghostmind

Awesome - Star Wars Destiny finally arrives on GAF.

Mainly casual player, though I've participated in one store tournament so far (Spirit of Rebellion preview).

Bought a box of SoR, and now I'm considering a second - this game is a money pit!

This game is insanely popular in the area here. I personally enjoy Dicemasters a little more, but good on FF to making another hit Star Wars game.

Kawl_USC

Nice post! Thanks for putting it together.

Trying to snag the two starter deck packs is probably the best way to test the waters, yea?

borghe

Trying to snag the two starter deck packs is probably the best way to test the waters, yea?

If you and a buddy each buy two starter decks (one her and one villain each), you will 100% learn the game and have a great time. And honestly you'd probably even be able to go down to a store on a casual night and have a decent time as well as there are a ton of new players just coming in now that starters and Spirit of Rebellion boosters are finally readily available.

Bought a box of SoR, and now I'm considering a second - this game is a money pit!

I mentioned (I think on reddit) that two boxes is a REALLY safe buy if you can afford it. You'll end up with a full play set of commons, a nearly full play set of uncommons, and a helluva way toward a solid set of Rares and Legendaries. After that you really just need to buy single cards to achieve the deck you want.

This game is insanely popular in the area here. I personally enjoy Dicemasters a little more, but good on FF to making another hit Star Wars game.

The game blew up here at launch, but died about the last month. Then this Monday it blew up again (with SoR).. but the one store really mishandled it and people were a bit pissed. Basically half of the people showed up for casual play and the store said "It's a tourney. $6 entry".. but didn't say anything ahead of time.. so the half looking for casual didn't have competitive decks, or have time to build SoR decks.. and the other half of us had strong SoR decks we wanted to try out.. So I think we lost half of the players by round 3. :(

And I can't blame them. Fortunately the store announced the upcoming tourney dates so people know the casual dates and tourney dates.

Star Wars: Destiny is really fun. I play casually but I'm enjoying it a lot, the community in my area is great and very friendly towards newcomers.

I remember collecting some Star Wars CCG back in the late 90's. Have the cards somewhere.

Don't think I can let myself go down that (dark) path again..

borghe

I remember collecting some Star Wars CCG back in the late 90's. Have the cards somewhere.

Don't think I can let myself go down that (dark) path again..

hahahaha... this was why I picked it up.. even worse is I've glanced at the LCG for years now (and one of these days.. maybe in time for worlds next year..), and I thought Destiny was an expansion on the LCG. Once I saw it was a CCG it was #frytakemymoney

yeah, I have (I believe) a complete play set of Decipher CCG from Premiere through Dagobah.

Emarv

Bought the starter set and loved it, but the scarcity of the Awakenings set pushed me away for now. Moving to a metro area soon and hope to get back into it if there's more product now.

borghe

Bought the starter set and loved it, but the scarcity of the Awakenings set pushed me away for now. Moving to a metro area soon and hope to get back into it if there's more product now.

Spirit of Rebellion is widely available now!! As for Awakenings.. it will be back in print next month.. in the meantime go to your local casual night and I am positive someone will give you tons of Awakenings key commons. And honestly, a local made an SoR only deck (with starters) for Monday's tourney and didn't do as poorly as he thought. I wish he'd said something before hand though so I could give him a bunch of key yellow commons and uncommons. I am actually almost out of copies I've given so many away of like He Doesn't Like You, Backup Muscle, Armed to the Teeth, and I even ended up with over 10 Infamous copies that I've given away.

I'd even give away rares, except that at the height of Awakenings (February?) I sold off everything I had (rares) beyond a play set. I think the only things I kept were umm.. guns so I could have two decks at a time..

borghe

Is There a good place to reference for local game nights or just google?

Call your local stores. In major markets there are usually anywhere from a few to plenty of options available. In smaller markets it can be a little tough. Especially where there's only a couple of stores and all they care about is Magic. In smaller markets around here (i.e. 60-80+ miles out of Milwaukee) there is usually "that one store" that is pretty big, has plenty of space, and tries to run at least the most popular variety of stuff.

Another good gauge is if they already run Fantasy Flight games. If they are already running Android Netrunner or X-Wing, there's a strong chance they are also running Destiny.

edit - actually come to think of it

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/events/2017-store-championships-may-august/destiny/

That is a list of all stores running a Store Championship. The Store Champ season starts next week. While the above isn't anywhere near a comprehensive list of all stores that run Destiny, at the very least it's a list of stores that applied for and were accepted to run a Store Championship.

borghe

so talking about the game, probably my favorite deck builder of all time, Book, just published a Poe Snap deck that... looks really good. It's a strong control deck which is pretty incredible considering how much aggro has once against jumped out with SoR. It has fairly poor health at 20, but the control in the deck is crazy

http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/8939/flyboyzcontrol-1.0

it basically works to starve your opponent of resources, control their dice, then prevent them from claiming, oh which btw is Carbon Freezing Chamber thus locking out a character die next turn also.

His prior credentials are: among the earliest published flyfishing decks that I know of, as well as among the earliest Dooku Jabba decks that I know of

http://swdestinydb.com/decklists/find?author=Book

My friend I play Destiny with bought two Spirit of Rebellion boxes and got two Palpatines, so I've got to be ready to play against that. Thankfully my eJabba/Vader Crime Lord deck could be up to the task, and he only got one Force Speed and no Force Lightning.

Karkador

Banned
So here's a dumb question for the folks at home
and me

Do you need one Starter set per person to play, or can you hack together enough from boosters to get by with one?

and me

Do you need one Starter set per person to play, or can you hack together enough from boosters to get by with one?

You don't need a starter, though you'll probably need at least a box of boosters to put a deck together. It's also unfortunate that there are a couple really good cards you can only get in starters, and starters only have one copy each of some of them. FFG has said they'll consider not doing that in the future, but I'm not too confident they'll stick to that.

borghe

and me

so.. a starter set comes with the chicklets (shield, health and resource tokens). They also come with fixed cards, some of which are only available in the starters (Kylo Ren, Rey, Mind Probe, Force Throw, Lightsaber, Frozen Wastes, Starship Graveyard). However in general they suck and in fact are not complete decks (20 card decks, as opposed to legal 30 card decks).

However just buying boosters, there's no way to guarantee you would get a good enough selection of characters, upgrades and events to actually put a full deck together without buying a LOT of boosters (two boxes would probably give you a viable deck)

So if two people had ONLY one starter set a piece, you can play. If you had two starter sets AND a bunch of boosters.. you can probably throw together two legal decks. Without any boosters, the best way to build a deck is two starters each. They won't be great decks, but they will be legal. Fortunately the Kylo and Rey starter sets mostly complement each other.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Woohoo official thread!!!!

Definitely my gaming obsession (and main hobby) of the past six months. Just such an amazing title.

The core rules are actually really basic and intuitive (though some of the decks can definitely get crazy) so I'm hoping now that supply is up that it continues to attract casual players as well as the hardcore.

Karkador

Banned
However just buying boosters, there's no way to guarantee you would get a good enough selection of characters, upgrades and events to actually put a full deck together without buying a LOT of boosters (two boxes would probably give you a viable deck)

At the risk of killing some of the 'fun' of blind booster games, what if I just bought some singles to fill out the essentials?

borghe

At the risk of killing some of the 'fun' of blind booster games, what if I just bought some singles to fill out the essentials?

honestly, it's like every CCG :p aka that is definitely the preferred way to go. Usually worth buying 1 or 2 boxes to get most/all commons and uncommons, and get a head start on rares and LGs (mythic in magic). But beyond a box or maybe two? Yeah you definitely are better off buying singles.

The big hitch right now is that Awakenings is currently out of print, so singles are pretty stupidly priced, and Spirit of Rebellion was just released so is hyped and using Awakenings prices for its basis.. however SoR single prices should fall quickly as supply outweighs demand (with the second and third waves), and FFG is reprinting Awakenings next month which they've indicated will be substantially more massive than the original printing. So all in all singles prices are probably the highest right now that they'll ever be and should be falling quickly.

edit - yeah, outside of baby Vader, FN-2199, Vibroknife, Force Speed and Palpatine, it looks like most prices are already dropping on CSI. And most ebay and facebook sellers will usually go 15% or so below CSI and MM.

also notable is that CSI was buying singles day 1 with Awakenings.. and pretty much buying anything and everything. whereas now today is the first day they have even put out a buy list for SoR, and only for Force Speed. So the crazy scalping from Awakenings seems to have passed, or FFG just has so much product out there right now that it isn't worth it.

I just checked ebay, and SoR boxes are sitting around under $140 with free shipping.. and I mean sitting. so there definitely seems to be enough supply at the local stores. I know one store just sold out today (but more comes in in two weeks) and the rest of the stores still have between 3-6 boxes each.

Spent about $250 on the first set and had 2 tourney decks. With a kid on the way, no way I could say no to turning my $250 into $400 when the cards were rare and my playtime was about to take a hit. Very fun game though and I do miss it. Hopefully it will be around for years.

Kawl_USC

In general how long does each match take?

Is the meta fairly balanced between Aggro, mid range, and control or shifted towards one particular edge?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Is the meta fairly balanced between Aggro, mid range, and control or shifted towards one particular edge?

10-40m, with tournament match times limited to 35m and most matches not going to time. There are options all along the continuum and several valid top-tier builds, but aggro is pretty popular currently, though with the new set there have also been some interesting Mill designs though it's too early to know viability.

borghe

lol.. sort of sad but true.

yeah there were worlds matches that I swear were over in less than 10 mins.. and others that went to tie breaker.

when SoR started getting leaked, I was a little miffed that it was veering away from the "you take a turn, I take a turn" that I loved about the game. I wanted the game to move more toward strategy.. 20-30 minute "fast" games.. etc.. 40-60 minute grueling games..

after worlds.. after getting about a dozen games in on SoR.. I'm good with sub-20 minute games.. and am almost leaning toward 45 minute best of 3 like Magic.. if only for one reason.. I think forcing all games/decks to be fast (through cards and metas) sort of equalizes deck types without homogenizing the meta. it doesn't mean "we're either going to go 6 minutes.. or if I can last past 12 minutes.. it's going to go 45 minutes"

Do any of the major chains sell these? I've never heard of the game before.

apparently some Barnes and Noble stores are starting to get some in

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/star+wars+destiny?_requestid=648910

I searched locally and nothing came back, but 90210 for example showed stores with boosters in stock. FFG started with just local game stores, but jstevenson above said B&N was starting to get this, and the search seems to show that's correct.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

The Awakenings meta ended up pretty diverse, though I don't know if there were true control decks. Mid-Rangey-Control was about the best you saw at the top of the Tier.

A control/like Han/Rey made top 16 at worlds, a couple damage dealing Jabba / Dooku, which are also mid-range to control.

Aggro is certainly very very popular right now, but it's the beginning of a new set, and many many new avenues are now open with all the cards. The good players are still trying to figure out how to build the choke / control / lockdown decks, and they got a lot of new toys.

We're already seeing some (Hero Mill, Villain Red/Yellow Choke, hero red choke). Whether or not the meta will stay diverse, remains to be seen, however, with a few exceptions, this game has been remarkably well balanced and so it seems like there may really be extremely varied styles of deck now - whereas for the most part in Awakenings, it always boiled down to damage at the end

10-40m, with tournament match times limited to 35m and most matches not going to time. There are options all along the continuum and several valid top-tier builds, but aggro is pretty popular currently, though with the new set there have also been some interesting Mill designs though it's too early to know viability.

For the most part. Aggro vs Aggro is really fast right now, but the best Aggro decks in Awakenings (Vader / Raider, Jango) would finish games in 10-15 minutes.

My mill deck in a tournament on Monday went to 30, 20, 28 minutes, so the control / choke / mill stuff gonna need the 30 minute time. They slow things down a lot

parasight

Was super hyped when it first came out, but the lack of stock really hurt it. Our store just got a bunch of boxes for the new set and it feels like interest has plummeted. We do have the OP kits still, so maybe we'll try to run a tournament to drum up interest again. I haven't kept up with the new set, what's the general consensus of the additions? Is everyone still running Jango/Veers?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Was super hyped when it first came out, but the lack of stock really hurt it. Our store just got a bunch of boxes for the new set and it feels like interest has plummeted. We do have the OP kits still, so maybe we'll try to run a tournament to drum up interest again. I haven't kept up with the new set, what's the general consensus of the additions? Is everyone still running Jango/Veers?

Jango / Veers is long dead. Three character Jango lists chased it from the meta, and people learned how to deal with Jango.

Vader / Raider variant won world's over Phasma / Bala / Trooper. Han/Rey represented, a little Jabba / Dooku, some Poe / Rey.

that meta is gone though for SoR.

The diversification of the game is very good in the set, but it's also increased the speed and efficiency of decks. I think the consensus is the new characters are a little underwhelming, whereas the new cards are really good

Aggro is immediately benefiting as it's the easiest to play and makes games fast when Aggro vs Aggro. But already nasty choke and mill deck prototypes are starting to float around.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

Oh helllll no. J/V was really popular for a few weeks but a bunch of decks took precedence over it after that (though it's still a solid deck imo). Amazing overviews of all the major archetypes here: http://swdestiny.com/category/state-of-the-worlds/

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh nice. Thanks! I guess the newer stuff is still taking its time to work into the meta? Probably have to wait a bit to see what archetypes come out of it.

Yeah it just came out less than a week ago so nowhere near stabilized. You can peep swdestinydb.com though for popular new decks (most of which I think are pretty jank but hey :p).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Oh nice. Thanks! I guess the newer stuff is still taking its time to work into the meta? Probably have to wait a bit to see what archetypes come out of it.

yeah there isn't really even a meta yet, it's wide open.

Hero Mill
ePalpatine
Unkar choke / control
Poe / Maz
Rey / anything (but in particular Poe, Qui-Gon and Luke)

all seem like contenders

but there's so so so many decks right now it's hard to know what the top is

JesseZao

I gave up after stock issues, but I love the game. An official digital version would be great, but I'm content with just firing up TTS for now.

The dice are cool. If only they anticipated the demand and had a better handle on the manufacturing from the get go.

Arttemis

Not a fan of the collectible aspect,or the all-eras-in-one design, so I always passed.

I'm hugely invested in X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault already, so it's not like I'm short on Star Wars games.

yeah there isn't really even a meta yet, it's wide open.

Hero Mill
ePalpatine
Unkar choke / control
Poe / Maz
Rey / anything (but in particular Poe, Qui-Gon and Luke)

all seem like contenders

but there's so so so many decks right now it's hard to know what the top is

From what I've looked at of the new cards eIG-88/Death Trooper like like it might have some good potential. I don't think I'll be buying boxes this time around but might pick up singles to build a deck with those two.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Not a fan of the collectible aspect,or the all-eras-in-one design, so I always passed.

I'm hugely invested in X-Wing, Armada, and Imperial Assault already, so it's not like I'm short on Star Wars games.

I was where you were.

The thing I love about this game? The sheer diversity in the meta, the fact that games take 15-30 minutes, so you can play a ton of very different games quickly (compare to the set-up, play lengths of the other titles you mention). I mean, Destiny can do weeknight tournaments no problem.

That's super super compelling to me.

I gave up after stock issues, but I love the game. An official digital version would be great, but I'm content with just firing up TTS for now.

The dice are cool. If only they anticipated the demand and had a better handle on the manufacturing from the get go.

no real way to do that based on the lack of pre-orders / demand they had, before Awakenings launched they contemplated not even sending Spirit of Rebellion to the printer.

That said, supply is fixed now. Starters are available, Barnes and Nobles nation wide have SoR boosters, more boosters arriving in 2 weeks, you can get into this game now if you want to, which wasn't the case 2 months ago

(also why we finally started this OT - you can actually buy in now!)

DodgerSan

Can I play an online version?
Obviously the number one way to see this game succeed is by buying it. However given the scarcity of the original set, and the difficulty that can be found in playing locally at a game store because of that scarcity.. I really feel that Tabletop Simulator needs to be addressed here. Tabletop Simulator is a game available on Steam that does exactly what it's name says. There is a module available for it on Steam Workshop that allows you to play Star Wars Destiny pretty close to perfectly. On top of that, the TTS community for Destiny is in fact very active. So if you like the game, please please please please obviously buy the packs, find a local game store and play it in person. By far the best way to play it!! But in the times where it simply doesn't work to make it down to the store, or if you just are having a hard time buying packs, TTS is really a tremendous alternative to those issues. Just note that the TTS module is unofficial, community supported, and presumably up for a cease and desist (they use copyrighted material) at any moment. That being said, it is currently a viable way to play the game.

Interesting point about the above regarding the (frankly brilliant) TTS mod. The mod author was on a podcast (can't remember which, I listen to dozens of podcasts a week. It might have been The Chance Cube) and was asked the obvious question about being worried that FFG would hit the mod with a C&D.

Tuerns out he did the sensible thing before starting what was going to be a lot of work and contacted FFG directly. They gave permission for the mod, with the proviso that things could change in the future and it might have to be pulled at that point.

TBH though, given the amount of free publicity and community building the mod has done, coupled with the fact that its clearly not impacting sales, I'd like to think it's safe for the near future at least.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I got out before SotR but I saw the spoiler cards while I was still playing. How is ePalpatine doing?

It's way early but seems really popular right now. Like jstevenson said there seem to be maybe 4-5 decks that people are like OMG HOW DO I BEAT THIS IT'S SO GOOD and it's definitely one of them.

borghe

I have an ePalp deck that is currently undefeated after about 9-12 games of pkaytesting. Ironically I am in fact testing to beat ir. I did tech a slightly more control Poe Maz which definitely came closest. He had two health remaining with super lucky draw including a fast Premonitions into Rise Again and starting shields (a misplay on my part... NEVER give him shields) but he had both Dark Presences out by round 2 and had a lucky turn of events preventing me from getting ammo belt and second chance started.

Lupercal

Banned
Looking to offload my cards after finding 0 people to play in my area these last 6 weeks.

Not to keen about driving 1-2 hours just to play 2-3 games of Destiny and then drive back.

It's only from Awakenings but I've got some good cards if anyone was looking to start collecting cheaply.

Europe btw.

borghe

Looking to offload my cards after finding 0 people to play in my area these last 6 weeks.

Not to keen about driving 1-2 hours just to play 2-3 games of Destiny and then drive back.

It's only from Awakenings but I've got some good cards if anyone was looking to start collecting cheaply.

Europe btw.

If you are interested in playing, but just have no one.. I would possibly wait it out just a little bit. Especially if you have shops in the area still doing FFG (X-Wing, Netrunner, etc). The supply issues seem to be over, the Awakenings reprint is coming next month, and all in all this game is finally taking off again. In a year we are going to be laughing (well.. sort of laughing) at the struggles of these first 6 months. I just hate to see people love a game, sell out of it due to no one to play with at the start, then after 1-2 years the game is as healthy as ever and they're like "oh man.. and I had everything.."

with that being said, if you don't have interest in waiting and seeing.. I know there are lots of Europeans who participate in the facebook marketplace (I think it's called Destiny Shapers Marketplace) or obviously the reddit buy/sell thread.

Top Bottom