• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Political" Haircuts in America

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
Certain hair cut= "racist nazi"

............riiiiiiiiiiiight. This is dumber than normal. You'd just be profiling at that point. "Your hair is nazi hair therefore you're nazi" doesn't really make sense to me.

Bullshit. Just look at resident NeoGAF fashion expert Bronx-Man

tumblr_moz4ovyxop1sqdbclo1_1280.jpg

Dude looks fly.

Huh?!

NewFresh

Unless you are wearing a clear indicator of some kind of political or ideological agenda, I don't think a haircut should ever be used against you.

CDV13

If someone says something about your haircut, that isn't some bullshit symbol shaved in the side of your head that is offensive, then they can fuck off. Lol. It is a haircut, do what looks good on you.

Next, people aren't even going to be able to wear business casual clothes to work without being wrongfully separated into a hate group if we keep this shit up.

What haircut isn't, though? Like honest question, what are new/fresh men's hairstyles now
Some may find it corny but I think anything 90s style is gonna be everywhere in the next year or two. Like the OP was doing, growing your hair out is pretty in right now, I don't think ponytails, mullets and shit are gonna come back in style but definitely something the opposite of high and tight, stuff like chili bowl hair cuts, long fringes, the mushroom cut posted last page etc.

Basically get in touch with your inner Leo DiCaprio from the 90s, peak Kurt Russell, watch Friends for inspo or look at rappers, those dudes are almost always the style tastemakers and they are almost all rocking long hair.

Honestly, I sounded like a dick but the undercut really isn't that bad, it just needs some refreshing. Instead of getting the sides shaved super close think of Pratt in Guardians with nearly even sides or even that pic of Stalin being quoted.

Certain hair cut= "racist nazi"

............riiiiiiiiiiiight. This is dumber than normal. You'd just be profiling at that point. "Your hair is nazi hair therefore you're nazi" doesn't really make sense to me.

It's like there is a race to be offended before others.

Can't find a better source (I'd make a thread otherwise), so here's one from the NY Post. Another reason not to get the Hitler Youth, eh?

Man stabbed after haircut gets him mistaken for a neo-Nazi

Joshua Witt, 26, escaped his brush with hairdo-doom with a defensive slice to the hand and three stitches.
”Apparently, my haircut is considered a neo-Nazi statement," he told The Post Saturday, as his account on Facebook garnered 20,000 shares.

Witt says he'd just pulled in to the parking lot of the Steak 'n Shake in Sheridan, Colo., and was opening his car door.

”All I hear is, ‘Are you one of them neo-Nazis?' as this dude is swinging a knife up over my car door at me," he said.

”I threw my hands up and once the knife kind of hit, I dived back into my car and shut the door and watched him run off west, behind my car.

20881830_497075347304076_9100543085607135378_n.jpg

20431635_487162431628701_4423022084116510379_n.jpg

digdug2k

No offense to people here who have one but... they can have the undercut, and basically any haircut that involves copious amounts of greasing things backwards... or grease at all really.

I want your opinions on haircuts. Do you think the high & tight, or any hair cut has been taken over by the alt-right, or are there any other haircuts linked with political movements?

The Afro is linked to the political and cultural movements of Black Power and Black is Beautiful in African American communities in the mid 60's and 70's.

The effect of the Civil Rights Movement brought a renewed sense of identity to the African-American community, which also resulted in a redefinition of personal style that included an appreciation of black beauty and aesthetics, as embodied by the "Black is beautiful" movement. This cultural movement marked a return to more natural, untreated hairstyles. The Afro became a powerful political symbol which reflected black pride and a rejection of notions of assimilation and integration—not unlike the long and untreated hair sported by the mainly White hippies.

To some African Americans, the Afro also represented a reconstitutive link to West Africa and Central Africa. However, some critics have suggested that the Afro hairstyle is not particularly African: In his book Welcome to the Jungle: New Positions in Black Cultural Studies, cultural critic Kobena Mercer argued that the contemporary African society of the mid-20th century did not consider either hairstyle to denote any particular "Africanness"; conversely, some Africans felt that these styles signified "First-worldness".

Similarly, Brackette F. Williams stated in her book Stains on My Name, War in My Veins: Guyana and the Politics of Cultural Struggle that African nationalists were irritated by the Afro's adoption by African Americans as a symbol of their African heritage; they saw this trend as an example of Western arrogance.

The Afro was adopted by both men and women and was a hairstyle that was easier to maintain by oneself, without requiring frequent and sometimes costly visits to the hairstylist as was often experienced by people who chose to braid, straighten or relax their hair. Due to the kinky pattern prominent in Afro-textured hair, as it grows longer it has a tendency to extend outward from the head, resulting in a domelike hairstyle which is easily molded and sculpted into the desired shape. While the Afro was a much less invasive and time-consuming hairstyle choice for many African Americans, some chose to achieve a more voluminous version of the Afro by backcombing or teasing the hair, a practice that can result in damage to the hair and scalp.

In the mid-1960s, the Afro hairstyle began in a fairly tightly coiffed form, such as the hairstyle that became popular among members of the Black Panther Party. As the 1960s progressed towards the 1970s, popular hairstyles, both within and outside of the African-American community, became longer and longer. As a result, the late 1960s/early 1970s saw an expansion in the overall size of Afros. Some of the entertainers and sociopolitical figures of the time known for wearing larger Afros include political activist Angela Davis, actress Pam Grier, rock musician Jimi Hendrix, singer Miriam Makeba, and the members of the musical groups The Jackson 5 and The Supremes.

In contrast, the Afro's popularity among African Americans had already started to wane by the early 1970s; the introduction of the Afro to the mainstream and its adoption by people of non-African descent caused the Afro to lose its radical, political edge. The 1970s saw an increase in the popularity of braided hairstyles such as cornrows among both sexes of African Americans.

This is way out of hand. Anyone that makes assumptions like this and attacks a person based on style is a shitty person, borderline as bad as neonazis.

They're stupid, but borderline as bad as neonazis? Really? Dat false equivalence.

Skinheads fucked it up for awhile for shaved bald White dudes. LOL

It's especially fucked up when you find out the original skinheads weren't some racist, white supremacist group but later got co opted by them.

The irony of the first wave of skinheads in London to now is:

Skinheads were instead drawn towards more working class outsider subcultures, incorporating elements of mod fashion and black music and black fashion, especially from Jamaican rude boys. In the earlier stages of the movement, a considerable overlap existed between early skinhead subculture, mod subculture, and the rude boy subculture found among Jamaican British and Jamaican immigrant youth, as these groups interacted and fraternized with each other within the same working class and poor neighborhoods in Britain.[2] As skinheads adopted elements of mod subculture and Jamaican British and Jamaican immigrant rude boy subculture, both first and second generation skins were influenced by the heavy, repetitive rhythms of dub and ska, as well as rocksteady, reggae, bluebeat, and African-American soul music

They're stupid, but borderline as bad as neonazis? Really? Dat false equivalence.

It's especially fucked up when you find out the original skinheads weren't some racist, white supremacist group but later got co opted by them.

No it's not. Stabbing people for haircuts under the assumption they're neo-nazis is just as fucked up.

The irony of the first wave of skinheads in London to now is:

This is just some straight fucked up levels of spin.

No it's not. Stabbing people for haircuts under the assumption they're neo-nazis is just as fucked up.

Sorry, I didn't even make that connection to the other post for some reason.

I'm not even going to compare but it is indeed fucked up and really fucking stupid.

This is just some straight fucked up levels of spin.

Spin? I thought he just meant judging somebody for a haircut and for whatever reason didn't connect to the guy getting stabbed over the haircut.

it's my mistake.

I agree, assuming shit is stupid and dangerous, if your out there stabbing people because you don't know a damn thing about them.

All it takes is one person to fuck up and kill some innocent person, because they don't know the facts. What we can't afford is witch hunts in this political climate.

Reeks

I'm not white, so I can get whatever haircut I want and not be immediately accused of being a Nazi / sympathizer. :)

I love undercuts.

NeoNazis have the worst haircuts and I don't see many undercuts. I think (hope) that has been taken over by, well, borderline hipsters. Alt-right/white nationalists/NeoNazis have 90's supercut hairstyles.

phaonaut

Can't find a better source (I'd make a thread otherwise), so here's one from the NY Post. Another reason not to get the Hitler Youth, eh?

Man stabbed after haircut gets him mistaken for a neo-Nazi

20881830_497075347304076_9100543085607135378_n.jpg

20431635_487162431628701_4423022084116510379_n.jpg

Turn out this guy was lying.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/nidhipraka...-and-stabbed?utm_term=.tdplGj7AgX#.rpp8OlEpgP

Police became suspicious of his story because surveillance video did not show anyone running from the scene, as Witt had claimed, and because police found and interviewed someone who matched Witt's description of the attacker, "who is a transient and lives in the area was cleared as a possible suspect."

They also looked at video from a nearby sporting goods store, which showed Witt buying a small knife minutes before the alleged attack.

Last Thursday, police re-interviewed Witt.

"Where he was confronted with the all the information listed above. Mr. Witt subsequently admitted to accidentally cutting himself with the knife while parked in his car in front of the sporting goods store and admitted making up the story about being attacked," Sheridan police said in their statement.

This is why I'm going back to just having long hair like in high school. As far as I know, the right-wing haven't claimed that one yet. It's not a great look but I think it'll work better now that I'm a bit less skinny

If I had hair, I'd probably do an undercut. I used to feel self conscious of my baldness making me look like a skinhead. Maybe everything has just worked out for the best now.

Dear God, America GAF, you are so weird, just wear whatever haircut you like.

The undercut is pretty cool, who cares.

The only thing that gets you weird looks in Germany is Hitler mustache, but that isn't a haircut either.

Auctopus

A lot of people forgetting how important being very good looking is to the successfulness of a fresh cut. Far more important to have a cut that suits your face rather than one that's cool in a vacuum.

Top Bottom