• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to give you guys an idea how big of a fan I am of SW. When the DvD set first came out back in the early 2000s. I went to circuit city and as a broke high school student I had no money for transportation so I walked there 30 min. Found out I was 2 cent short. And the cashier would not buzz. So I walked back home 30 min to get couple of pennies from my mom and walked back 30 min to get it and walk back home again for another 30 min lol. But was it worth it? To me as a 14 year old kid absolutely. The moment the DVD fired up and I saw how glorious DVD resolution over my old VHS tapes. My mind was blown lol.

Dazza

I agree with you OP. It's is the only SW movie for me that got worst on reviewings. All the others have improved even the prequel trilogy. The retreads killed it, which is surprising for me because I enjoyed JJ Abrams Startrek reboot even on rewatches

ironmang

I still don't understand how this movie was so well received by the vast majority of fans and critics. Most disappointed I've ever felt from a movie. The stun baton stormtrooper was pretty cool though.

HariKari

I still don't understand how this movie was so well received by the vast majority of fans and critics. Most disappointed I've ever felt from a movie. The stun baton stormtrooper was pretty cool though.

Low expectations. Good casting. Good production.

MysteryM

This is me OP, Star Wars and general sci-fi fan. Out of all the Star Wars films force awakens and rouge one are the two I don't really want to watch again soon. I bought them on bluray just to complete the set but haven't stuck them on again. Something was definitely missing.

zeemumu

I typically don't go out of my way to rewatch any of the Star Wars films despite owning the original and prequel trilogies. If they're on TV and I see them, then sure I'll sit and watch them (except Episode 1. I tried and it was a mistake)

Glass Rebel

Probably because most people know that it's a good movie and haven't tried to spin a narrative that the prequels were absolute dogshit "but at least they were original!"

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
You might be also growing up. I used to watch movies repeatedly and can't do this as an old dude.

The movie was about as fun as I remember other star wars movies being personally.

Ristifer

I feel like this could've been added to the plethora of other TFA blows/Prequel humping threads. I swear this is a weekly thing on here.

I feel like this could've been added to the plethora of other TFA blows/Prequel humping threads. I swear this is a weekly thing on here.

Relax I never said TFA is a bad movie. I rated it a 7/10 and called it better than prequels. And judging by all the replies so far it seems to me lot of GAFers agree with me here.

Ristifer

Relax I never said TFA is a bad movie. I rated it a 7/10 and called it better than prequels. And judging by all the replies so far it seems to me lot of GAFers agree with me here.
I'm relaxed. It's just such a norm on here. It's odd. It's like people need to convince others that TFA blows. Then the prequels get a "Well, they're not THAT bad" assessment, followed by the rankings of all 7 movies and Rogue One.

I think you touch on exactly why it's a bit disposable: they aren't breaking any new ground. But there's more...

As bad as the prequels are, you could at least get into the new alien species, new locations, new Sith Lords, etc. Trying to understand everything's place in the greater lore was interesting because it was all being helmed by the original auteur. Looks at the new pod vehicles! Look at the new robots! What the hell kind of alien is that? Look at the new force abilities we're being shown!

There's really no new ground in TFW; as you pointed out, retreads are abound.

People don't realize how difficult it is to take a shot in the dark and just make people believe this new alien race exists because you say so. That takes creativity, vision, conviction, and imagination. I don't really think anyone at the head of the franchise is trying to keep the lore growing in any kind of interesting way -- certainly not Rick Berman or Kathleen Kennedy. It's nobody's job to care about Star Wars at that level anymore.

It's the trade we got when Lucas bowed out; we got a Star Wars themed modern movie with all the trappings that entails -- political discussions about "mary sues" and cast diversity, depressingly forced cameos, dumb plots that make no sense, and shit-tons of CG. We also got a more earthy and realistic feel, because they figured fan-service was marketable, and we got better pacing because there was accountability were there used to be an all-powerful turbo nerd at the helm. But most of all, we got an utterly forgettable and shallow experience, which is Hollywood's speciality, and always has been, save for the work of the type of auteur that, for all his faults, Lucas was.

Edit: This all said, TFW is better as a standalone movie than the prequels. Can't get with you there. I never want to watch the prequels again unless it's bad movie night and I'm with some stoned friends.

Sloane

Banned
Why would you say that? lol. Because I thought EP 7 was mediocre?
nteYs.jpg

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
That's cause it's a bland movie that doesn't do anything new.

Crayon

It's the trade we got when Lucas bowed out; we got a Star Wars themed modern movie with all the trappings that entails -- political discussions about "mary sues" and cast diversity, depressingly forced cameos, dumb plots that make no sense, and shit-tons o CG. But most of all, we got an utterly forgettable and shallow experience, which is Hollywood's speciality, and always has been, save for the work of the type of auteur that, for all his faults, Lucas was.

I fuckin hate movies.

finowns

It's natural to feel this way when watching mediocre by the book movies. You can clearly tell none of the suits who wrote this film had any passion for the franchise.

This. Say what you want about George Lucas but he went for it. The most memorable character, in TFA, was the imperial with that crazy look in his eye.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
I watch my favorite movies like once every five years. What the hell are you doing.

ironmang

Probably because most people know that it's a good movie and haven't tried to spin a narrative that the prequels were absolute dogshit "but at least they were original!"

I think most people just got caught up in the hype of a new SW movie with new characters. I'm not expecting that love to continue as we get further away from release. And I don't see anything wrong with part about the prequels. They were stuck being an origin story but at least they brought something new. TFA could have gone anywhere but instead we got a bad version of ANH.

Ristifer

This. Say what you want about George Lucas but he went for it. The most memorable character was the imperial with that crazy look in his eye.
What did Lucas go for exactly? Shitting upon the origin story of one of film's most recognizable villains? If that's what you mean, then Lucas definitely went for it. And he did a hell of a job.

finowns

What did Lucas go for exactly? Shitting upon the origin story of one of film's most recognizable villains? If that's what you mean, then Lucas definitely went for it. And he did a hell of a job.

Jedi at the height of their powers, expanding the universe. I'm not saying it worked out all that great but he attempted to at least add something.

psyfi

Banned
I watched it once in theaters and that was enough. I really don't like that they stuck so close to the Episode IV storyline.

Mockerre

It's the trade we got when Lucas bowed out; we got a Star Wars themed modern movie with all the trappings that entails -- political discussions about "mary sues" and cast diversity, depressingly forced cameos, dumb plots that make no sense, and shit-tons of CG. We also got a more earthy and realistic feel, because they figured fan-service was marketable, and we got better pacing because there was accountability were there used to be an all-powerful turbo nerd at the helm. But most of all, we got an utterly forgettable and shallow experience, which is Hollywood's speciality, and always has been, save for the work of the type of auteur that, for all his faults, Lucas was.

This.
I also don't think the Prequels are good movies. But after you watch them, the images stay with you: because for all Lucas' faults, he sparks the imagination. TFA leaves you with nothing, it's just a product.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think there are lots of people that feel the same way. TFA was an incredibly safe Star Wars movie that was more about introducing the franchise for a new generation and setting the pieces in play for the upcoming (and hopefully much more interesting) TLJ.

When I first saw it I was really disappointed and I also struggle to rewatch it but overall I think the movie did a good enough job introducing the new characters and setting up the sequels.

RedAssedApe

Banned
sounds normal. you've watched it twice as many times as most people :D

i usually can't watch movies more than once without a long break between views

munchie64

It's natural to feel this way when watching mediocre by the book movies. You can clearly tell none of the suits who wrote this film had any passion for the franchise.
Wrong. The problem (and I say that as someone who loves the movie) is that one of the writers/director had way too much passion for the franchise.

Glass Rebel

I think most people just got caught up in the hype of a new SW movie with new characters. I'm not expecting that love to continue as we get further away from release. And I don't see anything wrong with part about the prequels. They were stuck being an origin story but at least they brought something new. TFA could have gone anywhere but instead we got a bad version of ANH.

amazing

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I have no desire to watch the force awakens again. Maybe I will think about it once the current trilogy is over.

At least the prequels were so bad you could watch it multiple times and see new bad things each time

I will never watch rogue one again. That is a dull ass movie. Made me like the force awakens more than I did previously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom