• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

Holy shit, that difference.
kiss.gif

Feel bad with people stuck with the console version now.

I don't see much difference.

Durante

Well, at least it has distant shadows! Already helps a lot with the "pasted-in objects" look.

Still, could do much better in terms of e.g. AO. But I'm sure that will be added shortly (by people, not necessarily Bethesda).

Also, IQ still sucks in these, but that's another thing easy to remedy on PC (by e.g. downsampling).

WAY better? ehhhhh...
You're doing a LoD comparison on a screenshot which only shows objects right in front of the player. That makes no sense.

Venom Fox

Banned
If thats ultra i dont wanna see the low preset and console version..
Next to no difference, apart from some medium distance low LOD and a lack of AO.

Edit: Forgot the shadows. There's a complete lack of shadows, annoying as fuck tbh. Obviously PC will have some benefits.

Durante

Next to no difference, apart from some medium distance low LOD and a lack of AO.
And complete lack of distant shadows. Which was the biggest problem combined with the lack of AO in making distant objects/trees look pasted in rather than grounded in the world.

Drazgul

Well, at least it has distant shadows! Already helps a lot with the "pasted-in objects" look.

Still, could do much better in terms of e.g. AO. But I'm sure that will be added shortly (by people, not necessarily Bethesda).

Yep, fortunately the ini files in Bethesda titles are relatively extensive and you can do quite a bit by just tweaking the values, though going beyond the ultra values will likely require some beefy hardware. I'll still give increased uGrids a try on my 780 and see how it goes.

Venom Fox

Banned
And complete lack of distant shadows. Which was the biggest problem combined with the lack of AO in making distant objects/trees look pasted in rather than grounded in the world.
Lol, how did I forget to mention the shadows? My bad, I was the one complaining about the shadows in the first place... Let me update my post.

Mugen08

Already pre-ordered the PC-version aware of the graphics quality, which I think is alright. Could have been better for sure but not the main selling point for me. Surely mods will improve a lot later as well.

Timu

Why are these screens low size JPEGs? They should be in MBs not KBs. PNG would be best, but hey, PNG-higher sized JPEGs will come soon enough so no worries.

valkyre

I dont understand PC community's comments on this.

This still looks dated as fuck by PC standards. I honestly dont understand how this suddenly is considered that it is looking "RAD".

Compared to other PC games this looks at least 5-6 years old.

And remember... this is 4K. Try playing 2008 games in 4K and you will understand how "RAD" Fallout 4 looks...

Venom Fox

Banned

This still looks dated as fuck by PC standards. I honestly dont understand how this suddenly is considered that it is looking "RAD".

And remember... this is 4K. Try playing 2008 games in 4K and you will understand how "RAD" Fallout 4 looks...
I know right... But then again, it's just like, your opinion man.

Edit: These screens are 1080p.

Lord Phol

Discounting the compression I think this looks better than what I've seen so far. I'm not too fond of the lighting though, everything looks really flat.
Curious to see what my 980ti and mods will be able to accomplish.

LMAO, there's dudes on reddit debating whether or not those screenshots are even real PC shots and not PS4 or Xbox One photoshops. Based on artifacting, and the fact that keystroke prompts use the same font as the subtitles and text elements as opposed to the HUD elements. You'd think the lack of subnative bloom would be a dead giveaway that these shots are real, but idiocy never changes

lmao, by PC standards? If anything the PC community would probably be more amenable in general toward's Fallout 4's more average visual aspects, because they're often more used to playing games that sell themselves on more than AAA visuals. And at any rate this conversation is only happening because The Witcher 3 is a thing. There is no other game that achieves Fallout's scale and level of interactivity simultaneously while looking anywhere near this good, and these are pre-release screenshots, devoid of AO and other tweaks that contributed to games like Witcher 3 and the previous Fallouts looking significantly better on PC in short order.

I play a lot of PC games from around that era in 4k and I've just plain got no idea what you're talking about. And I'm very confident that within two days max of community feedback, graphical tweaking, and ini editing, my copy of the game will look way better than that, at any rate.

valkyre

How do you figure? The aliasing on the Red Rocket sign would seem to indicate otherwise.

Yes you are correct my bad on that part.

But other than that, I think Fallout 4 looks nowehre near good enough, compared to what PC has to offer graphically. Always taking into consideration that it is coming from a major AAA developer with fuckloads of cash.

misho8723

Banned
I'm not impressed by these graphics, other open-world (RPG) games from this year and last look way better ...
I'm impressed they don't look worse because the game is made by Bethesda :).. by their standards this is an ok looking game

I'm not impressed by these graphics, other open-world (RPG) games from this year and last look way better ...
I'm impressed they don't look worse because the game is made by Bethesda :).. by their standards this is an ok looking game

Last year too, you say? Because last I checked there aren't any other open world RPGs of this scale and bearing competitive visuals besides Witcher 3.

viHuGi

Banned
Same, I predict people will try to say something about the leather jacket a few pages after this.

It looks the same LOL

Fallout was never about graphics anyway, MGS V and Witcher 3 look way better but are they better games? We will have to wait and see.

King_Moc

Banned

Less demanding graphics just means we get more spare power to use on higher resolutions, framerates, AA, modding etc, so it's all good really.

ISee

Since these got broken off into their own thread, these were shots sent to me to be posted on GAF. I don't think I'll be getting any more.

And thank you a lot for sharing. /thumbsup
BUT could you please ask about the framerate. And we do not need exact numbers or a benchmark like testing, just if this is more close to 30,45,60 or even beyond ;) ?

Venom Fox

Banned
It looks the same LOL

Fallout was never about graphics anyway, MGS V and Witcher 3 look way better but are they better games? We will have to wait and see.
Just you wait...

Mods will work wonders on PC with texture packs etc. I think it looks ok tbh, not the best, but still a step up from FO3 and NV.

valkyre

LMAO, there's dudes on reddit debating whether or not those screenshots are even real PC shots and not PS4 or Xbox One photoshops. Based on artifacting, and the fact that keystroke prompts use the same font as the subtitles and text elements as opposed to the HUD elements. You'd think the lack of subnative bloom would be a dead giveaway that these shots are real, but idiocy never changes

lmao, by PC standards? If anything the PC community would probably be more amenable in general toward's Fallout 4's more average visual aspects, because they're often more used to playing games that sell themselves on more than AAA visuals. And at any rate this conversation is only happening because The Witcher 3 is a thing. There is no other game that achieves Fallout's scale and level of interactivity simultaneously while looking anywhere near this good, and these are pre-release screenshots, devoid of AO and other tweaks that contributed to games like Witcher 3 and the previous Fallouts looking significantly better on PC in short order.

I play a lot of PC games from around that era in 4k and I've just plain got no idea what you're talking about.

No wonder you get the same bethesda robotic, soulless animation for 10 years now. Some of you guys will just about look the other way and try to justify everything wrong with your favorite franchise...

Criticism is a good thing you know, it tends to improve products and in Fallout's 4 case, criticism is pretty damn justifiable and even necessary imho.

Kezen

Banned
Thank God for the shadows past 10 meters.

Textures leave a lot to be desired, but I suppose modders will deliver.

It is quite sad that even with those visuals my expectations are still very low in regards to performance, I mean this is Bethesda we are talking about. Hopefully I turn out to be completely off the mark but this is going to run badly for no reason, and be atrociously CPU limited.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i don't see much a difference really.

still gonna get it on PC though but if it runs like shit on my AMD 290 then i won't mind getting it for PS4/XB1.

Venom Fox

Banned
The only thing i find "ugly" is those fucking PJs he's wearing..
Once i'm out of the Vault, that shit is burnt.
Wut? Come on don't tell me you never keep the jumpsuit in your inventory because it's special? (Emotional attachment) I'm not the only surely.

Drazgul

i don't see much a difference really.

The most obvious differences ought to be in shots where you can see the distance (especially if you tweak the configs for higher level of distant LOD), I'm sure some techie sites will do proper side-by-side comparisons between the versions once the game comes out.

And by then, no one will care anymore because they'll be busy playing. :p

No wonder you get the same bethesda robotic, soulless animation for 10 years now. Some of you guys will just about look the other way and try to justify everything wrong with your favorite franchise...

Criticism is a good thing you know, it tends to improve products and in Fallout's 4 case, criticism is pretty damn justifiable and even necessary imho.
Whatever you say, man. You asked why PC gamers aren't necessarily reacting in the same manner you thought they would, and I gave you an answer. The animation isn't entirely bad and is vastly improved from previous iterations of the engine. It's just not competitive with mo-capped animation, but that would be unreasonable for a game of this scale. It's not even that I'm against criticism, and I don't know where the heck you pulled that from. It's just that some of us, more often than not PC gamers, can be pretty understanding when other design priorities take precedence over visual flair, at any rate.

Honestly the criticism is worthless when it's just made up of hyperbole, same animations for 10 years? Why should anyone take that shit seriously when you yourself can't bother to do the same?

The game is not ugly, people saying this are really just being ridiculous, it's not the best looking game but it's not ugly and it's MASSIVE improvement over Fallout 3 and New Vegas, the engine is scalable enough now to the point where we can build our town and ride flying vehicles.

Top Bottom