• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP Vigil Games (2005-2013)

bangai-o

Banned
Platinum would become the bestest bestest thing ever if they save the IP.. even more staff from the studio. Gaming gods, let it happen. Please.

The IP is great,and DS2 sold like 800k didn't it? THQ put so many stakes at it and rushed it to no end. That's why it "flopped"
dont go blaming THQ now. they put the most risk into this when nobody is willing to. it flopped because gamers and their needs absolutely perfect big budget games.

2San

dont go blaming THQ now. they put the most risk into this when nobody is willing to. it flopped because gamers and their needs absolutely perfect big budget games.
No, not really, many big budget and small budget games are profitable.

Riposte

Should I have just said "Where will I get to play a game with a portal gun/Zelda dungeons/unnecessary loot system/etc etc"? Come on, overthinking a joke.

Ahasverus

I'm not blaming them, it was their last hope, Darksiders 1 was an excellent game and a sequel theoretically would had been killer. It wasn't sadly. Too much pressure perhaps?

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Don't know if it this was posted it in here (I posted it in the THQ thread)

https://twitter.com/haydndalton/stat...33068477243395

I fucking CALLED IT!

OMFG

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

; ;

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT!

GraveRobberX
(11-04-2012, 02:00 PM)
Quote | Edit

I would've wanted DSIV but let's be real here DSIII to be really a Diablo style game

Can you imagine

War - Tank
Death - Damage Dealer
Strife - Ranged
Pestilence - Debeuffer

Healing would be potions/abilities =D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43960198&postcount=8374

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Since when is PG in a position to buy a lot of talent, let alone foreign talent?

THIS.

let's put fantasies aside for a bit and get back to reality.

I feel bad for Vigil. They had so much talent, but terrible art direction. I am still mystified wondering who thought the whole "iron maiden meets Spawn" art style was a good idea....

scitek

THIS.

I feel bad for Vigil. They had so much talent, but terrible art direction. I am still mystified wondering who thought the whole "iron maiden meets Spawn" art style was a good idea....

I don't know that anyone's thinking PG can buy Vigil, but the Darksiders IP and hiring a few key ex-Vigil employees could be within the realm of possibility.

hitmon

THIS.

I didn't really have a problem with the art. I found the gameplay boring after awhile. Regardless, it sucks to see them go.

I didn't really have a problem with the art. I found the gameplay boring after awhile. Regardless, it sucks to see them go.

I would have really liked to see them work on a different IP. The games always seemed interesting, but the style was really off putting.

I don't know that anyone's thinking PG can buy Vigil, but the Darksiders IP and hiring a few key ex-Vigil employees could be within the realm of possibility.

But why would they want to buy a rather underperforming IP? Where is the value in it for them?

Shinta

Banned

I think you're wrong. These quotes are from the video.

"Ninja theory came to us with what they'd like to do, and we gave them advice on how to do that"

"We gave advice to Ninja on what we wanted them to be able to do, down to the individual frames"

"in this instance Isuno-san and Hiraki-san's experience was just invaluable because they have worked on these games and they understand how to put them together"

Then there's this.

"You’re right to say that there has to be those core fundamentals that make this feel like part of the Devil May Cry series, and combat is probably the most important aspect. How difficult was that to really nail?

Yeah it was hard. I only observed it for the most part, but it was the designers on the ground and a number of key creatives in Capcom Japan who worked on it most intensely."

I watched the entire video and didn't see anything that suggested that they did the entirety of the combat work. I found 3 references that bluntly state that they didn't. Waste of 9 minutes.

Discomurf

WTF @ letting this talented team go, best of luck to all of them.

Absolutely crazy day... has to be one of the most memorable days in gaming history.

Rimfya

Banned
From Haydn Dalton on Twitter:

There was a shimmer on a slither of hope, that at one point, there'd be a Darksiders III: 4 Player Co-Op; It rode off into the sunset today.

The ending of Darksiders 1 pretty much was a promise that this (4 player co-op) would be the focus of the next game. The first one only just held my interest all the way to the end and the very second they announced Darksiders 2 would be a prequel/sidequel I lost all interest.

Don't like to hear anyone lose their jobs or anything but if you don't have the conviction to follow through on ideas and instead take the easy way out -- who's to blame?

Soul_Pie

So has it been decided what happens to the IP itself?

Despite its flaws, I really enjoyed the darksiders games, the lore and story concepts were great, the story interesting, some great voice talent got involved, good gaming mechanics, it just could never come together as a whole. All it really needed was a good director or someone to oversee everything, I reckon they'd have been a developer that would have flourished under Nintendo.

Sad news.

Valnen

THIS.

No. The art was one of the best parts of those games, along with the gameplay.

This is an outrage. I hope Darksiders finds a way to live on. Maybe it can continue when the lead designer finds work elsewhere. I'm legitimately angry and sad over this news.

Valnen

The fate of the Darksiders IP will be decided during the remainder of the Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings.

Surely the lead designer should get rights to the IP. They can't just kill it off. =/ That would be the worst news of the year for me.

Meier

Very sad news, especially as a fellow Austinite. Good luck to everyone.. I'm sure many will find a place at other studios.

sflufan

Banned
Surely the lead designer should get rights to the IP. They can't just kill it off. =/ That would be the worst news of the year for me.

No, why should the lead designer get the rights to the IP? That's not how these things work.

And of course they can just "kill it off" and that is what's more than likely going to happen.

sflufan

Banned
https://twitter.com/haydndalton/status/294233068477243395

Almost sounds like a job offer by Platinum Games to the Darksiders guy in the responses. How does Darksiders 3 by platinum sound?

Because he's the one that came up with it? It only makes sense. It would be bullshit if the judge just said nobody gets it and nobody is allowed to make a Darksiders game.

It's an job offer to contact them, nothing more than that.

And Platinum would actually have to buy the IP from THQ. Do you think they're in a position to do that?

senador

Banned
Hope you land on your feet, good sir

To Arms!

tumblr_m5w3srALx51qcjvaio1_500.gif

Thanks for DS1 and DS2

Can you speak if there would have been a DS3? =3

What is this from?

ezekial45

Banned
I think you're wrong. These quotes are from the video.

"Ninja theory came to us with what they'd like to do, and we gave them advice on how to do that"

"We gave advice to Ninja on what we wanted them to be able to do, down to the individual frames"

"in this instance Isuno-san and Hiraki-san's experience was just invaluable because they have worked on these games and they understand how to put them together"

Then there's this.

I watched the entire video and didn't see anything that suggested that they did the entirety of the combat work. I found 3 references that bluntly state that they didn't. Waste of 9 minutes.

Yes they did.

The quotes you're picking out are ones where Capcom said they offered their supervision, I:E; feedback, tweaks, design tips. Like I said, they supervised the development of the game, did not do any hard development of the game. That's exactly what they said earlier in the video when they described the aspects of the combat. Capcom saw their proposal, offered advice, and Ninja Theory went on to work on it.

The entirety of this game (coding, design, framework, art, etc) was developed by Ninja Theory. Again, Supervision does not mean they did any heavy lifting. The Capcom JPN team did no heavy lifting on this game whatsoever. It's entirely Ninja Theory's work.

sflufan

Banned
Because he's the one that came up with it? It only makes sense. It would be bullshit if the judge just said nobody gets it and nobody is allowed to make a Darksiders game.

THQ owns the IP, not the lead designer.
THQ invested the money in the IP, not the lead designer.
THQ bore the financial risk, not the lead designer.

Valnen

And Platinum would actually have to buy the IP from THQ. Do you think they're in a position to do that?

If nobody buys the IP it should go to the guy that actually came up with it. Would be bullshit if it just dies off. Anyone that wants this IP to die off can go to hell.

Orayn

Seeing how THQ is in a pretty desperate position and no one wanted Darksiders at the auction... It's not likely, but not completely outside the realm of possibility either.

When not a single company like Sega or Ubisoft offered a single dollar for it?.

Yeah, I think they could...

People hate the art direction of Darksiders? I am actually shocked by this.

This! I thought the art direction was amazing...Ehh to each their own and all that...

I've not been able to keep up with everything. Was their absolutely NO bids for Vigil at all or was their a Minimum bid that had to be met? If there was no minimum, I can't imagine someone not making a lowball offer for them. Strange and saddened as someone who really enjoyed the Darksiders series and who hoped to have an epic DSIII :(

Who owns the IP and is it remotely possible that someone could still purchase it after the case?

Shinta

Banned
It's entirely Ninja Theory's work.

That's an extremely misleading way to frame it.

That's like saying Mistwalker didn't make Lost Odyssey, feelplus did. It's just not true. We're talking about who takes credit for the combat system, not who takes credit for programming. Creative is a gigantic part of that, probably the most important part.

When you're advising on what to do down to individual frames, does it matter if you don't personally go and program it? Clearly it wasn't all Ninja Theory.

ezekial45

Banned
That's an extremely misleading way to frame it.

That's like saying Mistwalker didn't make Lost Odyssey, feelplus did. It's just not true.

You know what I meant. I'm not saying it isn't co-developed with Capcom, but you're implying that Capcom JPN's DMC team was doing heavy lifting on the game with them . Which isn't the case.

But if you insist, based on the fact they were a supervising/guiding force on the game; then yes, it was co-developed with Capcom JPN.

EDarkness

Maybe not, but they might know someone who is or could be persuaded to jump on it....

ban25

The people who created that IP were employed by Vigil/THQ. They were compensated for that work through their salaries. THQ has ~$100MM in debt, hence the bankruptcy auction. The IP will be sold for whatever it can fetch in order to make those creditors (partially) whole.

Valnen

Nesotenso

loved darksiders 1. haven't played the second one. I hope the developers band together and make something else. What will happen to the IP ?

ban25

This! I thought the art direction was amazing...Ehh to each their own and all that...

I've not been able to keep up with everything. Was their absolutely NO bids for Vigil at all or was their a Minimum bid that had to be met? If there was no minimum, I can't imagine someone not making a lowball offer for them. Strange and saddened as someone who really enjoyed the Darksiders series and who hoped to have an epic DSIII :(

Who owns the IP and is it remotely possible that someone could still purchase it after the case?

Assuming they were working on DS3 already, they were probably two years out from release. Let's assume the payroll was $1MM/month. That's $10,000 a head, with salary and benefits for 100 people (just an estimate, I see 111 on LinkedIn). So that's $24MM right there. Then you've got rent, power, utilities, software licenses, dev hardware, contractors (voice acting, outsourced concept and/or production art, localization, etc.). Maybe that's $5MM. Then there's publishing costs, so throw in $10MM to market the game, and another $2MM for distribution and other expenses.

So, if you bought Vigil Games for one dollar, it'd still cost you $41MM to actually develop and publish DarkSiders 3. But if it only sells 800,000 units, at a net of $40 per unit, that's going to end up being a $10MM loss.

Assuming they were working on DS3 already, they were probably two years out from release. Let's assume the payroll was $1MM/month. That's $10,000 a head, with salary and benefits for 100 people (just an estimate, I see 111 on LinkedIn). So that's $24MM right there. Then you've got rent, power, utilities, software licenses, dev hardware, contractors (voice acting, outsourced concept and/or production art, localization, etc.). Maybe that's $5MM. Then there's publishing costs, so throw in $10MM to market the game, and another $2MM for distribution and other expenses.

So, if you bought Vigil Games for one dollar, it'd still cost you $41MM to actually develop and publish DarkSiders 3. But if it only sells 800,000 units, at a net of $40 per unit, that's going to end up being a $10MM loss.

Or you could have them work on something that isn't quite as expensive. I just have trouble believing that some of the larger publishers didn't make any offer for them...

ban25

Or you could have them work on something that isn't quite as expensive. I just have trouble believing that some of the larger publishers didn't make any offer for them...

Well, look at the bulk of the expense...it's the salaries. So, if you're going to make something cheaper, it implies you're going to lay a bunch of people off. As for the big publishers, they already have lots of internal studios in Austin (EA/BioWare, ZeniMax, Nintendo...), so they can just recruit directly (and pick the creme of the crop) -- no need to pick up an entire studio, especially if those people aren't going to continue on a product already in development.

ban25

I'll add that I was surprised by the Koch Media bid. I think they probably saw this as an opportunity to add a North American studio on the cheap. Could be true for Crytek as well, though it's not clear to me whether they bought just the Homefront IP or also the studio.

Top Bottom