• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jams775

Just got an order in and should be arriving today by 9pm. I'm super excited!

I got BotW, Puyo Puyo Tetris and a pro controller.

I was wondering what a good case is to get and should I get a screen protector? Any other accessories are a must have?

A gaffer said they got one for $5 at a five below store. Is there anywhere that sells it as cheaply online?

The same one? That's a steal. I think you might be able to find it for cheaper on AliExpress but shipping time would take ages.

When I bought it from Amazon (before the Switch launched) it was a few dollars cheaper than now.

Xdrive05

What's Nintendo's policy on the left joycon with connectivity issues? Will they replace it for free? If so what's the best way to get them to do it? (Launch day unit, btw)

What's Nintendo's policy on the left joycon with connectivity issues? Will they replace it for free? If so what's the best way to get them to do it? (Launch day unit, btw)
Based on others' experience: call them up and report the problem and get your case in the system, they'll have you mail in the Joy-Con, they'll fix it (probably the foam solution) and send it back without charge.

BizzyBum

Whats the consensus on going digital vs physical for the games?

I always prefer to go physical just because I like owning it, but for the Switch I'd go physical just because of the space limitations. Right now the max storage you can have is a 256GB card and if you end up downloading all your games even that will go down pretty quick. They did say 1 and 2TB cards will come out eventually but who knows how much they will cost. And of course you have the whole no transferring of save files currently which I'm sure will be added in a future update, but still.

Just got an order in and should be arriving today by 9pm. I'm super excited!

I got BotW, Puyo Puyo Tetris and a pro controller.

I was wondering what a good case is to get and should I get a screen protector? Any other accessories are a must have?

I can't comment on cases or protectors since I don't have any, but everyone seems to swear by the amFilm glass protector. Some other good buys would be a USB LAN adapter if you plan to play online a lot and a 128+ GB sd card for storage.

Not must haves but some other nice accessories would be a gooseneck holder if you plan to play in bed and a nice pair of earbuds or headphones that have a long cord.

Draper

So, I'm trying to change my online ID- but it appears I have to delete the original ID to do so.

Will I lose saved games by doing this?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Go digital for better pricing and convenience, or go physical if u like keychains
Better pricing? Over here we're lucky if the digital version of a game is only £5 more expensive than retail. That's the best case scenario and even that is very, very rare. Buying a game digital is paying the premium for convenience.

So, I'm trying to change my online ID- but it appears I have to delete the original ID to do so.

Will I lose saved games by doing this?
You shouldn't--they'd still be attached to the profile on your system.

However, I don't understand what you're seeing about needing to delete. The Nickname (what others see) and the Sign-in ID (what you can use to log in) can both be changed at accounts.nintendo.com.

Go digital for better pricing and convenience, or go physical if u like keychains

Where do you live? In the U.S. it's 100% cheaper to go physical if you're buying games on day one. Amazon almost always discount physical games before release, and that gets even better if you have Prime. Best Buy's GCU is a steal at $30 for two years.

I'd say it's digital for convenience, physical for better pricing and potential resale value.

Draper

You shouldn't--they'd still be attached to the profile on your system.

However, I don't understand what you're seeing about needing to delete. The Nickname (what others see) and the Sign-in ID (what you can use to log in) can both be changed at accounts.nintendo.com.

Wait, people only see your nickname?

This shit is so confusing,

I have the Network ID (which I though is what everyone saw), the numeric ID, the log-on info, and the nickname...

Wait, people only see your nickname?

This shit is so confusing,

I have the Network ID (which I though is what everyone saw), the numeric ID, the log-on info, and the nickname...
Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. The NNID is basically obsolete, for use with 3DS/Wii U. They let you attach it to the new Nintendo Account for purposes of tying in your old purchase history and merging funds between the eShops.

ASaiyan

Banned
Apologies if this has been asked already, but this thread is huge, lol.

I'm looking into the ACA NeoGeo series and interested in getting a fighting game. Currently deciding between KOF '98 and Waku Waku 7. I'm not a competitive 2D player so it would just be "for funsies". Which one does GAF recommend? (Or, is there a third option on Switch I'm missing that's far superior?)

I'm looking into the ACA NeoGeo series and interested in getting a fighting game. Currently deciding between KOF '98 and Waku Waku 7. I'm not a competitive 2D player so it would just be "for funsies". Which one does GAF recommend? (Or, is there a third option on Switch I'm missing that's far superior?)

I played Pocket Rumble on PC and it seems like the best option for a casual fighter, but who knows when it'll finally release.

Marow

I got my Switch yesterday and while I haven't really been able to spend a lot of time on it apart from a brief Zelda session and... way too much Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, I must say I love the system itself. It's so fast and sleek, being able to get into a game within seconds feels so good. The console itself also feels very... how to put it? If I'd have to use one word it'd be "sexy", which is super weird. It feels very robust (surprising, considering how much I've heard of it being... not that), sleek and put it all together it makes me want to bring it with me. I love the kickstand function, as putting it on my desktop while dual-wielding joycons was a bliss (how I've missed you, dual-wielding).

I do have a question, though. My joycons shoulder buttons have a springy sound when I click them. It's mostly audible when I put them closer to my ear, but I've never heard that before so I'm not sure if it's part of the joycon design or not. Anyone know?

Wake Waku.
Or, as said, wait for Pocket Rumble.

pdog128

Eh, I've been wrestling with this. Usually I'm in favor of physical, especially for home consoles. But I went mostly digital with the 3DS, and loved it.

I use Amazon Prime, so a $60 game is $48 + tax, so around $54. Digital is $60.

Is the collector's aspect and resale option worth the slightly lower price and loss of convenience? I don't know.

WoolyNinja

Eh, I've been wrestling with this. Usually I'm in favor of physical, especially for home consoles. But I went mostly digital with the 3DS, and loved it.

I use Amazon Prime, so a $60 game is $48 + tax, so around $54. Digital is $60.

Is the collector's aspect and resale option worth the slightly lower price and loss of convenience? I don't know.

I've actually gone all digital on my other consoles so may as well do the same here. Seems like 128gb should be good for the time being

Poppyseed

To me, it's an absolute no brainer to go digital for something like the switch. I'm not going to want to carry a bunch of tiny carts with me as my collection grows.

Yep, I'm right there with you. So nice to be able to switch games on the fly, not to mention save-games aren't on the cartridges anyway, which would have been the ONLY way I'd have been interested in physical media.

And more room on my shelves/in my house = win.

Leatherface

To me, it's an absolute no brainer to go digital for something like the switch. I'm not going to want to carry a bunch of tiny carts with me as my collection grows.

Well wait a second, there may be a HUGE reason not to go digital when possible. Are digital games tied to your account now or the device like WiiU? Because if it's the latter that sucks.

F34R

I go physical if there is a physical release.
Where do you live? In the U.S. it's 100% cheaper to go physical if you're buying games on day one. Amazon almost always discount physical games before release, and that gets even better if you have Prime. Best Buy's GCU is a steal at $30 for two years.

I'd say it's digital for convenience, physical for better pricing and potential resale value.

Puyo Puyo is $29.99 in the eShop (USA) but $39.88 physical. With Amazon Prime you'll get it around the $34 mark depending on taxes. I think that's worth having a resell value, and in this case, the key chains lol.

So, I have a 200 GB micro card in my Switch.

Where is my save data stored? in the internal or on the micro card? if the latter, can i move it to internal?

edit: shit, looks like it was saved on my sd card.

Any info on charging cables and adaptors? I've just bought a switch but don't know which usb type c cables and adaptors will work and won't fry it.

zigg

I use gamer club unlocked, i assure you I pay less retail than others digitally. I also preordered the whole year using that 25 off 100 deal, so yeah. Digital will never match retail.
It is a bit risky if physical releases are gonna keep bundling things so they can charge more. GCU was $2 more for PPT.

I'm still happy to go physical though. Don't need to pay the storage tax.

Puyo Puyo is $29.99 in the eShop (USA) but $39.88 physical. With Amazon Prime you'll get it around the $34 mark depending on taxes. I think that's worth having a resell value, and in this case, the key chains lol.
This is kind of an awkward comparison—don't you pay tax in all those circumstances? I do (Michigan).

Where is my save data stored? in the internal or on the micro card? if the latter, can i move it to internal?

I thought the save data was internal and the game data on SD.

VPhys

Physical so you can resell and recoup your investment if you are no longer going to play that game.

Although, reselling games (especially Nintendo games) seems to be sacrilege around these parts.

BizzyBum

Yeah, once you insert an sd card everything saves to that and you can't transfer stuff back and forth. Dumb, I know. If you want to save something to the system you need to remove the sd card then put it back in after. Hopefully this gets patched in an update later.

caromelo

Does anyone have a problem with the playtime not updating? I've had BoTW stuck at '75 hours or more' for at least a week and I've definitely played for more than 14 hours since then. I know this because the Switch Parental App says so.

Any idea on how I could possibly get the Switch to update the playtime on my profile accurately again?

So after picking up MK8DE today i have to admit.

I am a believer now. I see the draw and point of the switch.

Cannot wait for other great titles.

The game runs solid on both TV mode and handheld with no slow downs.

F34R

It is a bit risky if physical releases are gonna keep bundling things so they can charge more. GCU was $2 more for PPT.

I'm still happy to go physical though. Don't need to pay the storage tax.

This is kind of an awkward comparison—don't you pay tax in all those circumstances? I do (Michigan).

I thought the save data was internal and the game data on SD.

I'm in SC, and for some reason in the eShop, I'm not having to pay taxes.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man thinking about it Nintendo set up their first few months so smartly. Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon are all system sellers on their own, getting those out in time for the summer is going to keep momentum going and ensure that gift switches during the holidays can come with at least one or two rockstar games

Man thinking about it Nintendo set up their first few months so smartly. Zelda, Mario Kart and Splatoon are all system sellers on their own, getting those out in time for the summer is going to keep momentum going and ensure that gift switches during the holidays can come with at least one or two rockstar games

It's been spread out enough for me. I spent a month on Zelda, now I've spent a month on Persona (well, a few weeks as I went on vacation lol), now Mario Kart is out tomorrow. Bought Kamiko today. It's fun and super cheap. The Neogeo games have been cool.

Really just need VC now.

Cindro

I bought a USB C cable to charge the Switch while playing in handheld mode, but the system still drains while plugged in (albeit at a slower rate). I thought maybe it was just Zelda pushing the system to its limits, but the freaking Puyo demo also has this problem, haha.

Is this just the reality of the hardware, or are there cables out there that allow you to play indefinitely?

I also have a converter that I use to plug it into the wall... could that be the problem? Can you buy adapters that output more watts (or whatever the hell)?

They did. They leave just enough time to ensure that people are thirsty by the time the next heavy hitter comes around.

Literally just opening my wallet every other month ;-;

I bought a USB C cable to charge the Switch while playing in handheld mode, but the system still drains while plugged in (albeit at a slower rate). I thought maybe it was just Zelda pushing the system to its limits, but the freaking Puyo demo also has this problem, haha.

Is this just the reality of the hardware, or are there cables out there that allow you to play indefinitely?

I also have a converter that I use to plug it into the wall... could that be the problem? Can you buy adapters that output more watts (or whatever the hell)?
Your ac adapter is weak.

So....my Switch just died.....or rather, won't power on, at all.

Is this a known issue, with some remedy I may try?

The fact this happened before Mario Kart makes my blood boil a bit, but I'm more concerned about my 100 hour Zelda save, and the sketchy nature of Switch saves. I don't often play games for more than a few hours, but this one really got it's hooks in me. if I loose my save data, there's no way in hell I'll start over or experience the DLC.....

Your ac adapter is weak.
Yeah, if you look on the adapter you should be able to see some more specifics. It seems like "5V 1.5A" is about the point where it will maintain charge while playing.

Here's an image guide detailing Switch charging possibilities from Best through Not Good.

Draper

Yeah, it's a bit of a mess. The NNID is basically obsolete, for use with 3DS/Wii U. They let you attach it to the new Nintendo Account for purposes of tying in your old purchase history and merging funds between the eShops.

Gotcha, well thanks for clearing that up with me. Guess I'll keep things as is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Well wait a second, there may be a HUGE reason not to go digital when possible. Are digital games tied to your account now or the device like WiiU? Because if it's the latter that sucks.

You can disconnect your account and redownload on another device I think. So not as restrictive as before. But you can't have it on two devices at a time like you can on PS4/XB1. Which I'm realising might be an issue if my kids ever get their own switch

Chittagong

Gold Member
Playing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe all train ride to Gatwick Airport, I still struggle to come to terms with the fact that Nintendo Switch is an actual thing that exists. A Nintendo console that plays better than Wii U games on the go, from an SD Card. Instead of waiting for my return home to be able to play the latest Nintendo game, I can just grab it with me.

Less than a year ago we suspected that the hybrid aspect would be playing baby-versions of the game on the go, because console power on a portable seemed impossible. It's utterly mindblowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom