• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should the next Smash game come with all characters unlocked?

LordKasual

Banned
Yeah, they should

Although i'm of the "just let me pay extra to unlock them all immediately" camp.

It's no longer 1999 and its no longer 2001. The entire roster will likely be leaked before the game drops, and if not, the full roster will be all over youtube and forums within 72 hours of the game being released.

The joy of unlocking characters died when secrecy in gaming died. It's too social now, you'll know about the character even if you don't want to, and then it's just a matter of grinding out matches to get them. These days, you'll get way more hype out of just announcing characters than trying to surprise them after they already have the game :(

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
No. A new challenger approaches needs to be in every smash game.

I agree but all the DLC character should be unlockable in game without additional e purchases

And you should be allowed to unlock them directly with amiibo if you have them

Revven

Yeah, they should

Although i'm of the "just let me pay extra to unlock them all immediately" camp.

It's no longer 1999 and its no longer 2001. The entire roster will likely be leaked before the game drops, and if not, the full roster will be all over youtube and forums within 72 hours of the game being released.

The joy of unlocking characters died when secrecy in gaming died. It's too social now, you'll know about the character even if you don't want to, and then it's just a matter of grinding out matches to get them. These days, you'll get way more hype out of just announcing characters than trying to surprise them after they already have the game :(

I mean, in these games you don't even need a "pay" option when the alternative way to unlock them is just to have one stock matches with a human player in port 2, run off and die until you hit like 400-500 matches or whatever to unlock everybody. Literally could get it done in under a few hours.

'Course the better option would be just to offer a "would you like to unlock all characters & stages from the start?" with a yes/no option. Badda bing badda boom. Also, said option would help tournaments a great deal. Having monetary cost to it, while an option, would not be ideal.

Harmen

To me, unlocking new characters is an integral part of the gameplay, so no, I don't think that is the direction they should take. Just don't make the requirements too high.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
No, that would take away from the fun of solving the Smash bros. puzzle

yyr

No competitive game should be released with locked features or characters IMO.

I waited out the unlock process for Tekken 2, 3, Tag, and 4, plus the Soul Calibur games, in the arcades (which, admittedly, was exciting as new fighters were revealed). It was okay because everyone got the new characters at the same time.

Nothing was more frustrating than having the home versions come out and then having to slog through Arcade Mode repeatedly to go through the whole process a second time before I could enjoy the game with all of the characters. Stupid.

What if you buy an old fighting game after all these years? You bring it home and sit down with your friend. Oh, I can't wait to play as xxx. No, wait, too bad, you have to unlock him first. Stupid.

Finally Namco got it right and started releasing the home versions of fighting games with all characters unlocked from the start. Everyone should follow their example.

Recent fighting games have demonstrated that there are excellent story modes, bonus features, and ways to implement single-player progression without locking characters.

Radnom

I think the 'Challenger Approaches" is too good and iconic to drop entirely. However, I personally am not so interested in the single player modes or playing specific ways to unlock everyone, so I'd much much rather just have all the characters unlocked. A cheat code seems like a great solution that should fit everyone's needs.

FSLink

Banned
As a tournament organizer, please, god, no. But IIRC, weren't all characters unlocked in VS mode? Or was this another game?

Not this game.

To be honest, I'd want far more aggressive unlocks than Smash 4 had. The Wii U character unlocks felt kind of pointless since there were so few.

Yeah, they felt especially arbitrary. They just need to have more interesting unlocks but keep characters/competitive stages available from the get go.

I think the 'Challenger Approaches" is too good and iconic to drop entirely. However, I personally am not so interested in the single player modes or playing specific ways to unlock everyone, so I'd much much rather just have all the characters unlocked. A cheat code seems like a great solution that should fit everyone's needs.

They should add bonus characters that aren't meant to be balanced/allowed in tourney maybe. "Challenger Approaches!" and unlockable Master Hand for For Fun/local multiplayer matches would be hype as hell.

WillyFive

All characters and stages unlocked.

But you unlock costumes and skins.

Honestly, what Brawl and 3DS/Wii U did with unlocking things by the single player mode felt weak; I liked having the NEW CHALLENGER thing appear after doing a lot of work.

Deft Beck

I agree, but I think that we need more options to better facilitate different player segments.

Dr. Worm

Banned
"Exhibition Mode" for multiplayer that gives you access to every character and stage, but playing in Exhibition Mode does not count toward actually unlocking anything and does not award coins.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that you have to go through basically N64 era unlock requirements to get access to characters in a game released in an increasingly online multiplayer focused scene. SF5 doesn't make you beat the story mode 15 times to unlock a single character.

Neither does Smash, you've been able to unlock all characters by playing versus since Brawl at least. I don't know why you feel the need to misrepresent the issue if you feel so strongly about it.

I agree, but I think that we need more options to better facilitate different player segments.

Options such as?

Ritzboof

it was pretty cool as a kid back in the day. when i couldnt really play against peeps over the internet (at least not reliably, in the case of brawl), singleplayer content and having adventures in a fightng game-esque party experience with my friends is what made the game so amazing. in the case of melee, when i was really young, it was a really long time before i actually saw the entire roster. seeing a new character, or unlocking a new stage, was a surprise for me. i didnt have regular access to a computer, but if i knew about something, the quest to unlock it was great fun, and my friends were always in on it

a lot of the peeps playing smash bros these days are adults that played all the ones before, though, and with netplay becoming more and more of the focus, it seems like its more competitive than party these days. said adults (or just non-kids) will be annoyed that they cant immediately play as the character they want to in netplay, so itd be wise to accomodate for that. something is going to need to fill that offline party fun gap, though. the formula might need to get shaken up a bit

I would pay probably lots of money to unlock all the extra moves in Smash 4. It's insane how long it takes to get all those moves.

If they put out Smash 4 Switch, then I want it all unlocked. Keep the few new characters they add locked if you want though.

Compromise: Some (5-7) characters are unlockables. Their spots on the roster are visible with locks, and highlighting the lock gives you the unlock requirements. In addition, there is a code to unlock everything immediately for tournaments and the like.

Best of both worlds, do it like Rivals of Aether (an indie Smash Bros. clone):
In competitive and online vs modes, all characters/maps are unlocked, while in every other mode including all single player content, have them locked.

Emitan

Give me an option or cheat code to unlock everyone if I want them instantly and leave in the normal unlock system for everyone else.

Bulbasaur

Banned
No I prefer the unlocking method. I don't want everybody available from the get go, that "a new challenger approaches" is one of the highlights of Smash for me.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
Unlocking Smash characters is a big part of the game, they need to leave it in.

HeatBoost

Unlocking characters in Smash is a cakewalk compared to how it used to be for like Tekken so it's fine

These people are probably the same ones who play on Final Destination with no items, and would be like "GET RID OF TROPHIES TOO"

I like those trophies, dammit!

ash_ag

Only these characters should be unlocked from the get-go:
- Mario
- Link
- Kirby
- Pikachu
- Donkey Kong
- Yoshi
- Samus
- Fox
- Bowser
- Peach
- Zelda
- Marth
- Lucas
- Pit
- Olimar
- Villager

Essentially the original 8, plus 8 more for variety in character, IP and play-style selection. A couple more, like Little Mac and Charizard would also be fine. Perhaps Ike too.

A cheat code or menu option for enabling them for multiplayer should exist, though. Because the game is played competitively, far too many unlockables would be a pain for a large number of players. It makes sense to give the option, rather than compromising in a mid-point that satisfies neither group, since there's not much enjoyment in only a small number of unlockable characters either (especially with cases like unlocked Luigi, which just feel wrong :p).

tsab

No, but Nintendo should offer a pay-to-unlock-everything DLC like Warner did with MKX.
Just make the price reasonable like 10€ or under

Please god, yes. Can't stand starting over from scratch each and every game. Getting too old for that. Just complete fluff of single-player content.

But I'd be happy with the compromise solution of just having a cheat code to unlock everything. Don't see the problem with that. Just hate having to use characters I despise to unlock the ones I do care about. That just an't fun like the 5th time around anymore. Been there, done that. Just complete fluff of content, and I'm completely over it. Just want to move directly to multiplayer when I play this stuff at this point. Have absolutely zero interest in facing off against some trash AI version of the character for the billionth time. Does nothing for me at this point.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Well they have proven that they are pathetic enough to release full priced ports of games that unpaid beta testers had the pleasure of already paying them to test only to have to pay full price again. So you can bet on the next Smash being the same deal.

So...Sure?

No, but Nintendo should offer a pay-to-unlock-everything DLC like Warner did with MKX.
Just make the price reasonable like 10€ or under

How is 10 or under a reasonable price? You can buy amazing indie games for that price. Whatever happened to cheat codes?

I like unlocking stuff as well. The rooster is big enough that you can have a healthy selection right from the start, and still have a ton of characters locked away for you to find.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only thing that needs to be unlocked from the get go, or at least completely changed, is the custom moves. That is tedious since it completely random. At least characters have fixed criteria for unlocking them.

FSLink

Banned
Unlocking characters in Smash is a cakewalk compared to how it used to be for like Tekken so it's fine

These people are probably the same ones who play on Final Destination with no items, and would be like "GET RID OF TROPHIES TOO"

I like those trophies, dammit!
The hell? I don't think any competitive player I know would want to get rid of trophies lmao. Spoiler alert: We like the quirky stuff too. I love playing with items!...just not during a tourney setting where there's money on the line and RNG would affect outcomes.

No, this would kill a major component of the single player facet of the game.
No, unlocking them gives me a goal to work towards and forces me to try other characters that I wouldn't normally pick.

I feel like both of these could be satisfied with better made single player stuff. Smash 4 (both 3DS/Wii U) didn't really do this well. The next mainline Smash should definitely bring back SSE or something.

eXistor

No, unlocking them gives me a goal to work towards and forces me to try other characters that I wouldn't normally pick.

Delio

All characters and stages unlocked.

But you unlock costumes and skins.

Honestly, what Brawl and 3DS/Wii U did with unlocking things by the single player mode felt weak; I liked having the NEW CHALLENGER thing appear after doing a lot of work.

I agree. Have everything unlocked from the start since Nintendo is pushing it as esports. But skins and costumes sure have those you have to work towards. Tho honestly I wonder if Nintendo would ever jump on the loot crate wagon with that.

Top Bottom