• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2016. Capes, Crime, Bondage, and sometimes Overwatch.

Messi

I can appreciate the desire for sensitivity and I will try to respect it. But I'm not sure asking everyone not to post their emotional response to a comic is a reasonable request.

In my opinion,
"someone dies" is a spoiler, "this issue made me sad" probably isn't.

I don't think it's too much to ask people to spoiler impressions of a book on release day. Go back and look at the saga stuff on Wednesday. If you are reading a book what was said essentially tells you the nature of what happens. We just had someone who said their enjoyment of the book was lessened due to the fact that people didn't spoiler stuff. Or whatever, regardless of what I say nothing will change, this is like the 10th time we have had this conversation.

I'd be fine with just toning down the "gif reviews" thing that has been going here for awhile. It was cute for awhile, now it's just grating.

Incoming 2 pages of nothing but GIFs....

They're terrible because they aren't reviews. Recycling the same two or three variants of "I said biiiiiiitch" or "I didn't expect that" gifs don't summarize anyone's actual response to the comic in question, unless that person lacks the emotional nuance and language skills of a five year old. How do you justify criticizing Bendis' writing style when you can't form two or three coherent sentences to express said criticism?

It was never cute. It never added anything to the discussion. It was a lazy person's means of "reviewing" comics while avoiding the need to use big boy and big girl words. You can't interpret what the gif user is attempting to say about the comic. You can't even tell if they liked or disliked the issue, and that's pretty damn fundamental to all further conversation.

Comic GAF insularity is well established, whatever. We're a community thread for a reason. But lazy gif reviews are the most pointless expression of that insularity. We should collectively strive to stamp them out with the same dedication and fervor we employ to stamp out the Civil War II's of the industry.

We must aim to be better than the 2016 graduating class of Trump University's School of Coherent Thought.

Messi

They're terrible because they aren't reviews. Recycling the same two or three variants of "I said biiiiiiitch" or "I didn't expect that" gifs don't summarize anyone's actual response to the comic in question, unless that person lacks the emotional nuance and language skills of a five year old. How do you justify criticizing Bendis' writing style when you can't form two or three coherent sentences to express said criticism?

It was never cute. It never added anything to the discussion. It was a lazy person's means of "reviewing" comics while avoiding the need to use big boy and big girl words. You can't interpret what the gif user is attempting to say about the comic. You can't even tell if they liked or disliked the issue, and that's pretty damn fundamental to all further conversation.

Comic GAF insularity is well established, whatever. We're a community thread for a reason. But lazy gif reviews are the most pointless expression of that insularity. We should collectively strive to stamp them out with the same dedication and fervor we employ to stamp out the Civil War II's of the industry.

We must aim to be better than the 2016 graduating class of Trump University's School of Coherent Thought.

Every long term thread like this is a community thread regardless of what we do tho...

No problem with getting rest if it.

TheFlow

Banned
Gifs are fine just don't over do it and add in some words now and then.

I am still going to post the same of course

Will take the blame for starting the saga reaction.

I don't think it's too much to ask people to spoiler impressions of a book on release day. Go back and look at the saga stuff on Wednesday. If you are reading a book what was said essentially tells you the nature of what happens. We just had someone who said their enjoyment of the book was lessened due to the fact that people didn't spoiler stuff. Or whatever, regardless of what I say nothing will change, this is like the 10th time we have had this conversation.

No, this is a different conversation. We're now talking about spoilering emotional reactions to new books and impressions. That is a new request, and I don't think it's really well thought out.

We already have reasonable standards in place to prevent spoilers for new books for one week and many of us make an effort to avoid spoilers when possible on older material too. Are we really talking about adding another layer, a 24-hour ban, effectively, on all reviews of new books?

Every long term thread like this is a community thread regardless of what we do tho...

No problem with getting rest if it.

To be clear, my objection doesn't stem from this being a community thread. That is perfectly apropos for this community, the topic, and the group of regulars we have. I love this community. It's my one stop shop for comics, and the first and last GAF thread I visit every day.

I'm simply saying end the gif review madness. I'm not anticipating pages full of Echo and Donnie levels of insight and discussion. Those gents are outliers in terms of the thought process, insight, and coherence they bring to the table. I'm not on that level, so I wouldn't dream of arguing for it to be the norm.

I'm merely saying we can do better than pages of "I said biiiiiiitch" gifs for completely different comics that are aiming for completely different emotional responses. Less isn't more in that case. It's pointless for discussion, and ultimately confusing to new visitors.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm blaming The Flow for everything.
I don't mind some posters doing the gif stuff because the write better reviews than most people here like bkata <3 and then others like psych post some funny varied ones.

Just change it up.

Messi

To be clear, my objection doesn't stem from this being a community thread. That is perfectly apropos for this community, the topic, and the group of regulars we have. I love this community. It's my one stop shop for comics, and the first and last GAF thread I visit every day.

I'm simply saying end the gif review madness. I'm not anticipating pages full of Echo and Donnie levels of insight and discussion. Those gents are outliers in terms of the thought process, insight, and coherence they bring to the table. I'm not on that level, so I wouldn't dream of arguing for it to be the norm.

I'm merely saying we can do better than pages of "I said biiiiiiitch" gifs for completely different comics that are aiming for completely different emotional responses. Less isn't more in that case. It's pointless for discussion, and ultimately confusing to new visitors.

I actually agree with you on gifs. As someone who overuses gif responses. I don't mind them but it would be nice to see it varied up.

I'm simply saying end the gif review madness. I'm not anticipating pages full of Echo and Donnie levels of insight and discussion. Those gents are outliers in terms of the thought process, insight, and coherence they bring to the table. I'm not on that level, so I wouldn't dream of arguing for it to be the

So. Just so we're absolutely clear here.

This is totally not the time for a I said bitch gif. Right?

Started reading year five of Injustice.

I got to the early issues of Year Four before I stopped reading. I was just bored and kind of hit a brick wall by that point and had no desire to continue.

Legion taking over the DC TV universe and Widowmaker's butt receiving prominence in the ComicGAF thread. What a time to be alive.

The prominence it rightly deserves.

Did anyone notice Rocafort and Morissette were drawing different clothing on America in the last panel? Rocafort had her in a crop top and Morissette had her in a shirt.

Imaginary people change clothes, too.

How's the quality of Image's hardcovers? Was thinking about picking up Deadly Class Deluxe Edition, but I've never bought one of theirs.

Image Hardcovers are fantastic. A few specific ones have issues with the binding, like Black Science and The Wicked + The Divine. But other than that, it's a great format.

New Romancer is a fun story with incredible art.

Brett Parsons is the artist on that one. He's also done a good bit of Tank Girl art, which is where I was first exposed to his work.

Kicked off my mignolaverse reread this morning with Hellboy: Seed Of Destruction, because what else would you start with. I won't write a whole review or anything

Hellboy is such a great series. Love it to death.

I actually agree with you on gifs. As someone who overuses gif responses. I don't mind them but it would be nice to see it varied up.

So more pony gifs is what you're saying? Got it.

So. Just so we're absolutely clear here.

This is totally not the time for a I said bitch gif. Right?

Not at all. I'm singing your praise for the level of discourse you bring to the table. I'm not anti-gif use. I'm against the almost exclusive use of gifs in replacement to actually talking about or reviewing a comic. And that happens all the time.

Image Hardcovers are fantastic. A few specific ones have issues with the binding, like Black Science and The Wicked + The Divine. But other than that, it's a great format.

Literally the only image hc I have is the snyder severed one :( I find it quite hard to predict what will get the hc treatment so I'm always two volumes into whatever series by the time they show up and I don't want to pay up again. Wouldn't mind switching for a good few series though, deadly class or southern bastards. The velvet one that's coming up looks great.

Not at all. I'm singing your praise for the level of discourse you bring to the table. I'm not anti-gif use. I'm against the almost exclusive use of gifs in replacement to actually talking about or reviewing a comic. And that happens all the time.

Haha cheers man, I'm just goofing. I actually totally agree with what you're saying, I'm just keeping my nose out since I don't actually contribute to the weekly Wednesday review stuff. I consistently run way behind y'all so anything that gets away from the *race to react* mentality that means said weekly discourse can be less obvious as to whst its specifically about suits me fine.

Messi

This gif is still approved tho right??

500x1000px-LL-ab4253c4_ezgif-53533195.gif

Daredevil #11: This was pretty good. I want to say "surprisingly good," but I feel like I've been letting the book off easy here for too long because it had such a bad start. At this point we know Soule can write a reasonably competent Daredevil. He still hasn't managed to make his Daredevil great, though. Not even for a moment. Now, I'm sure this is a tough book to write. DD has been one of Marvel's top books since...holy fuck, 2001??
Wait what's Shadowland? Sorry I don't know what you're talking about.
Bendis - Brubaker - Waid, how do you follow that?

And I think my impulse to go easy on Soule comes from the fact that clearly, he wants this to be great. He's working his ass off to bring together old and new characters in ways that are exciting, ways that pop. But it still isn't. Part of the problem this book has always had is the separation from those past great runs; there's barely a tangible connection at all to ANY of Matt's history. Every time he even winks in that general direction I get excited, but Soule's taking too long to connect the dots, and it's frustrating. Not only do I want to check in with those characters and learn what the hell Matt did to end up here, I also want him to feel like he's on solid ground again, like he has a fleshed out life, with a real supporting cast. And if he isn't ready to integrate those characters, bring in some new faces. We are 11 issues in and I still couldn't tell you a single thing about anyone Matt works with as an ADA. Oh, I remember from this issue, his boss is a guy. That's it.

Anyway, to the nuts and bolts. I like the new villain. Great visual design, and the details Matt uses to locate him are clever and cool and uniquely Daredevil. My enthusiasm for the next issue is guarded, though. There are a lot of ways this could go wrong:
"this serial killer thinks he's an artist!" is pretty cliche so this dude needs some interesting powers to work; oh god I'm so tired of the Inhumans please use them wisely; please don't let this turn out to be a "EVIL BANKSY" story
. I'll just keep waiting and hoping for Soule to find his way to a great run.

mreddie

NO MORE GIIIIIIFFFFFFFFSSSSSSSSS

DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUH DUUUHHHHHHHHH

New Avengers #16: Pretty fun arc, I like how it stopped giving a damn about the actual CW2 and just kicked ass throughout. I wish Maker does more outside of this book.

No, this is a different conversation. We're now talking about spoilering emotional reactions to new books and impressions. That is a new request, and I don't think it's really well thought out.

We already have reasonable standards in place to prevent spoilers for new books for one week and many of us make an effort to avoid spoilers when possible on older material too. Are we really talking about adding another layer, a 24-hour ban, effectively, on all reviews of new books?

People act really willfully ignorant about this shit.

You can say "OMFG THIS BOOK RULES" or "THIS BOOK SUCKS GOD" but you know that an emotional reaction to a comic is a straight up spoiler. Anyone pretending otherwise is just trying to win some dumb hypothetical argument.

Deadly Class #22: Oh man, did Remender fuck this up??

Almost all of the characters I care about are now dead...and he's populating the cast with less interesting people. We will see how these folks turn out but I'm not optimistic about the future. I'm worried he may have overdone it when he cleaned house. Saya doesn't seem too interested in her new role as chief protagonist.

Too much Shabnam. He's awful, not the good kind of awful just awful. Please don't tell me this book is about to become an object lesson in the dangers of killing off most of your main cast.

Deathstroke #2-3: Improving with every issue! Priest may have been away from comics for a long time but he seems to have a firm grasp on DC's books, pulling in a couple of characters and plots I'm not familiar with, and utilizing them in ways that are still satisfying to me as a new reader. This is going to be a great read once it's collected, I think...there are snippets of flashbacks sprinkled throughout every issue, and it's tough to see the connections unless you're going back and revisiting past issues. I admire the craft, here; it's not easy to make a book both compelling with each new issue and still rewarding as a complete reading experience. This is why Priest is considered a master.

Detective Comics #940: I'm not wild about the way this issue's Big Event has been handled.
Tim is "dead," but before the dust has even settled we learn that he's not really dead, merely a prisoner of Mr. Ozymandias
. This makes it impossible for either the readers or the characters to have an appropriate reaction.
Tim is the third Robin to die, and even though he's been Robin longer than Damian and Jason combined, his is the only death to basically pass without comment. Contrast to the death of Damian, which was also obviously planned to be a short "death" from the start, but which also kicked off a round of "RIP" issues across the entire line and drastically changed the direction of Batman & Robin for the remainder of its run. Granted, Damian is Bruce's kid so it's a bit different, but Tim has been around FOREVER. They didn't even have a scene of them putting him in the GROUND, they're too busy with Night of the Monster Men

Night of the Monster Men parts 2-3 (Nightwing/Detective Comics): ...which is incredibly lame and frustrating because this is a bad crossover. It's inconsequential and not very interesting.
I suppose the writers and editorial probably feel justified in their poor treatment of Tim since a) we the audience know he's not dead and b) they're portraying an immediate, severe threat, so naturally Bruce and the others don't have much time for him other than the occasional "oh yeah it sucks that Tim is dead." That's garbage, though. That's all by their own design...they didn't have to give that information to us so readily, creating a disparity between how we might feel about his death versus how the characters should feel about his death. They didn't have to just launch immediately into Night of the Monster Men, they chose to do that.

I'm not a Tim fan but if I was I'd be pretty upset by how this has been handled. Jason's death DEVASTATED Bruce. Damian's death BROKE Bruce. Tim's death should have a little more impact than "shut up you guys I'm trying not to think about Tim."

People act really willfully ignorant about this shit.

You can say "OMFG THIS BOOK RULES" or "THIS BOOK SUCKS GOD" but you know that an emotional reaction to a comic is a straight up spoiler. Anyone pretending otherwise is just trying to win some dumb hypothetical argument.

lol okay man.

The post I was responding to was suggesting a 24-hour spoiler window on impressions as well, but please go on about my willful ignorance.

Night of the monster men is so awesome though

What do you like about it? It's not working for me.

TheFlow

Banned
lol okay man.

The post I was responding to was suggesting a 24-hour spoiler window on impressions, but please go on about my willful ignorance.

What do you like about it? It's not working for me.
I gotta dig up my reviews
But:

Art
Action scenes
Team ups
Gotham girl
Surprisingly yes the dialog.

I haven't read the last 3 issues of detective but the night monster men part 3 was definitely the weakest outside that one crazy scene with g girl

I gotta dig up my reviews
But:

Art
Action scenes
Team ups
Gotham girl
Surprisingly yes the dialog.

I haven't read the last 3 issues of detective but the night monster men part 3 was definitely the weakest outside that one crazy scene with g girl

Fair enough. I might give it another shot when the next chapter comes out. I was pretty hung up on
the poor handling of Tim's death.

I would say I'm more in echo's camp. I'm definitely not as crazy about the Night of the Monster Men event as others, but it's perfectly serviceable and pretty fun.

Boogiepop

Oh right, on the matter of Jem, Sophie Campbell is off it, right? Which issue did she go up through, and has the visual identity of the book held together after she left? I'd been enjoying the series quite a bit, but that one was leaning especially hard on the visuals, so I've been kind of worried since I heard about that. But I'm a filthy trade-waiter to a large degree, so I still haven't hit that changeover myself.

Repeating this question as I'm wondering how to treat the series going forward.

Also, on the Mignolaverse: I've heard a good number of the series are winding down/ending, right? Are new things taking their place? (Like, I guess Joe Golem is running now at least). Or is the whole universe coming to an end at this point? I'm curious as to how things will progress, but as a trade-waiter (who is currently one behind on Hell on Earth but otherwise caught up in that regard), I'm also terrified of googling it and running the risk of spoilers.

Repeating this question as I'm wondering how to treat the series going forward.

Also, on the Mignolaverse: I've heard a good number of the series are winding down/ending, right? Are new things taking their place? (Like, I guess Joe Golem is running now at least). Or is the whole universe coming to an end at this point? I'm curious as to how things will progress, but as a trade-waiter (who is currently one behind on Hell on Earth but otherwise caught up in that regard), I'm also terrified of googling it and running the risk of spoilers.

Honestly things are a bit in the air. The current era is winding to a close. Both hellboy and abe are done, and BPRD is finishing up un the next few months, signalling an end to the current three core books and the hell on earth phase.

What's next? The plan was always for a third and final era to completely finish up the entire series, but I'm not sure any of that included Mike taking off to paint, Arcudi stepping down abruptly, and Scott Allie biting people's ears in bars. HB in hell and frankenstein were both set to run longer and John was to work on the HB and the bprd series for longer.

Currently Chris Roberson has come on board and is heading a kind of interlude phase of mini series that fill in continuity and spots where Mike has ideas for, like the black flame or the hellboy 1950s stuff. Mike describes this himself as Roberson having 99% control over what he's doing right now. I know Roberson has a kind of overarching story planned for his stuff, but it's not the main event.

Will Roberson run the final era of BPRD. I'd guess it's the plan right now as long as his stuff is well received over the next few months. We should find out some stuff soon, there was only two books I November's solicits and they don't have long to run.

Joe Golem and Baltimore will probably continue too, but the are a separate thing.

Personally I dont really know what I want to happen. I didn't really expect Arcudi to drop out, and it's a bit of a strange thought having new writers involved now, but it's a bit wait and see. Dark Horse and Mig will probably have side stories and smaller stuff for a good long time to come, but I dont mind the core thing ending soon, I just hope they have a solid plan in place and it doesn't spiral off or anything. I've yet to read any the new Roberson stuff but I've certainly not read anything I've disliked yet of the recent reade stuff, enjoying it more than ever in fact.

Also, wrote all that on my phone and I have company in so apologies for all the typos haha I hope that covered it. This is coming out next year though and loves snazzy

tim1138

No no no no listen LISTEN

I fucking KNOW about the -- the Violators (De La Soul Is Dead reference) but WHAT ABOUT LEGION?????

Between the Dominators as the crossover villain, Legion flight rings being seen on both Flash and Supergirl, and
Mon-El
being on Supergirl this season, I'd say things are definitely trending towards the Legion.

mreddie

Oh right, on the matter of Jem, Sophie Campbell is off it, right? Which issue did she go up through, and has the visual identity of the book held together after she left? I'd been enjoying the series quite a bit, but that one was leaning especially hard on the visuals, so I've been kind of worried since I heard about that. But I'm a filthy trade-waiter to a large degree, so I still haven't hit that changeover myself.

Meredith McClaren is the new artist. Campbell left after 14 I think. The book has a lot of anime faces now.

CtgCEVLVIAASlMg.jpg

Messi

You don't understand complaint

TheFlow

Banned
Fair enough. I might give it another shot when the next chapter comes out. I was pretty hung up on
the poor handling of Tim's death.
Yea man I needed something fun after the diluted mess of the first batman arc.
i agree with you about tims death but at the same time this is the worst crisis hitting Gotham

Boogiepop

Honestly things are a bit in the air. The current era is winding to a close. Both hellboy and abe are done, and BPRD is finishing up un the next few months, signalling an end to the current three core books and the hell on earth phase.

What's next? The plan was always for a third and final era to completely finish up the entire series, but I'm not sure any of that included Mike taking off to paint, Arcudi stepping down abruptly, and Scott Allie biting people's ears in bars. HB in hell and frankenstein were both set to run longer and John was to work on the HB and the bprd series for longer.

Currently Chris Roberson has come on board and is heading a kind of interlude phase of mini series that fill in continuity and spots where Mike has ideas for, like the black flame or the hellboy 1950s stuff. Mike describes this himself as Roberson having 99% control over what he's doing right now. I know Roberson has a kind of overarching story planned for his stuff, but it's not the main event.

Will Roberson run the final era of BPRD. I'd guess it's the plan right now as long as his stuff is well received over the next few months. We should find out some stuff soon, there was only two books I November's solicits and they don't have long to run.

Joe Golem and Baltimore will probably continue too, but the are a separate thing.

Personally I dont really know what I want to happen. I didn't really expect Arcudi to drop out, and it's a bit of a strange thought having new writers involved now, but it's a bit wait and see. Dark Horse and Mig will probably have side stories and smaller stuff for a good long time to come, but I dont mind the core thing ending soon, I just hope they have a solid plan in place and it doesn't spiral off or anything. I've yet to read any the new Roberson stuff but I've certainly not read anything I've disliked yet of the recent reade stuff, enjoying it more than ever in fact.

Also, wrote all that on my phone and I have company in so apologies for all the typos haha I hope that covered it. This is coming out next year though and loves snazzy

Awesome, seriously thanks for going all out on that, really appreciate the in-depth response! I just kind of had come to the realization that I had no idea where this massive cluster of books I've invested into is currently heading, haha!
Meredith McClaren is the new artist. Campbell left after 14 I think. The book has a lot of anime faces now.

CtgCEVLVIAASlMg.jpg

That example looks... somewhat worrying. I think maybe I'll give the post-Campbell stuff a try digitally or something instead of committing to grabbing the series in trade. It's weird because I'm usually fairly accepting of art changes (though they definitely can sting, and I really do wish comics tended to treat the artist as a more integral part of the team than they often seem to), but with this book the art was a huge, huge core part of my enjoyment.

Awesome, seriously thanks for going all out on that, really appreciate the in-depth response! I just kind of had come to the realization that I had no idea where this massive cluster of books I've invested into is currently heading, .

Hahah I know what you mean. I will say, don't worry too much. Mike has been more than willing in the past to put stuff on hold until he's ready or the time is right. I think it's more likely there could be a bit of a break rather than they go ahead with anything half assed. Arcudi also said that while, yes, there is still stuff to be done with the BPRD and the planned third phase, that his upcoming end to hell on earth will feel very much like a series finale and should fully satisfy in itself, and I totally believe in him. I have no idea how hellboy ended, people have been aweosme about not spoiling that around the entire but by all accounts it's similar. Could Mig go back? He said he potentially could but by all accounts it was a very satisfying ending that could be read as THE ending, so there a very strong end point coming now, and then we just have to see what comes next.

Top Bottom