• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Nine: Penn State Overcomes Adversity, is Healing Now

6 or 8 is the best. With 8 you give auto berths to all the P5 conference winners and the highest rated group of 5 team, and the other 2 would be wild cards awarded to 2 of the highest rated teams that didn't win their conference. With a 6 team playoff all P5 conference winners get in + the highest rated group of 5 team. The top 2 seeds earn a bye to the semis

I was originally for expansion to eight but I've come back around to wanting to stay at four, especially after Michigan State got hammered last year.

There just aren't seven other teams who can compete at Alabama's level. It'd be nice to expand to eight and guarantee a spot for a G5 champion, but most likely they're going to get exposed so there's really no point.

You can't just base the structure of CFB on the greatest dynasty ever assembled and how they would blow out teams. Things change. Also, with an 8 team PO OSU would have made it last year, who was certainly a better team than MSU and would have given Bama more of a run for their money. Just look at this year, not only will we be leaving out a P5 champion (maybe even 2) but also probably Louisville, UM/OSU loser and A&M. Some great teams who could contend but just have a loss to a team who will probably be top 4 when all is said and done. If you really want the best teams to have a shot it needs to be 8. I can't say that any of those teams who will be left out are any worse than those who will make it except Bama.

I think 6 is ideal, top 2 seeds get byes P5's get automatic berths and it leaves 1 spot for a G5 or at large non champs

Go back to 11 game seasons, move the CCG up 1 week play first rounds at higher seeds stadiums.

6 or 8 is the best. With 8 you give auto berths to all the P5 conference winners and the highest rated group of 5 team, and the other 2 would be wild cards awarded to 2 of the highest rated teams that didn't win their conference. With a 6 team playoff all P5 conference winners get in + the highest rated group of 5 team. The top 2 seeds earn a bye to the semis

I also HATE the idea of giving 2 mostly arbitrarily selected teams a bye. Rankings in CFB are still based in large part on perception and opinion. Why should Alabama or Michigan deserve a bye but not Clemson or UW? Because the pollsters and committee just say so? To give a team an advantage because of that in a playoff would be shameful when the point is to determine the best team on an even playing field and eliminate that opinion bias. Needs to be 8 IMO.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I got only 4 right.

I mean, geez, guys, if you aren't going with your first name, it has to be an honest nickname, not just some other first name, Mike Bobo.

I did get Butch Jones right. LMAO, Lyle.

Herbert Fedora, sounds like a chain smoking train engineer from the 1950's.

ryseing

At least we can all agree that the G5 deserves representation of some sort in the playoff. It's obviously never going to happen with four teams.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
At least we can all agree that the G5 deserves representation of some sort in the playoff. It's obviously never going to happen with four teams.

Nah not really.

Houston would have made it this year if they earned it. They didn't.

andycapps

I don't think that's really the big reason why. Would be nice for the 5 P5 teams to all get their winner in. From there too ranked G5 or highest ranked at large teams depending on if expanded to 6 or 8.

Looks like Evans might be out for VA Tech. Not good for them.

Cal's offense looks out of sorts tonight. Wonder how much of that has to do with the fact that the last two weeks they played overtime games and this is their second straight game on a short week.

Why does Larry Scott hate Cal?

Hooooooooooolyyyy Shit.

Cal has the 126th ranked (by yards allowed) rushing defense, so yeah.

Ronald Jones with something like his third run of 30+ yards. He has 11 carries for 198 yards (18 ypc). USC averages 177 rushing yards per game as a team. They have 309 with 7 minutes to go in the third.

Seriously Stovall?

Cyan, USC is beast at home. Cheeto and TTK can vouch. Plus UCLA is still considered home because it's still L.A.

There's also the fact that Cal is playing on 5 days of rest after a double over time game in which they set an NCAA record for offensive plays run and USC is coming off a bye week.

So that's kinda unfair.

JCX

Wearing a green ranger costume today at work for both Halloween and the MSU-Michigan game tomorrow. Go Green!

Man..USC at UW is going to be a scrap. USC is going to need to take care of the ball tho.

Darnold is going to experience a rowdy Husky Stadium

jjasper

It appears the Big 12 is trying to make it as hard as possible for their teams to make the playoffs and do not want 2 teams from their conference to ever make the playoffs at the same time.

Thinking about it more this morning, if anyone still believes that the NCAA cares about student athletes Cal's football schedule should be proof that they don't.

Seahawks players were talking about not feeling normal until TUESDAY after playing 100ish snaps on Sunday Night. Cal played 118 snaps of offense last Friday and then had to turn around and play on Thursday. And unlike NFL players these kids also had to go to class and do homework.

Thursday and Friday night college football is exploitative as fuck.

andycapps

Quiet thread this week. Where's all the hate? Y'all haven't gone soft have you?
I'm still out here. All your Gatas are quiet but I'm not complaining. One fanbase or another will be talkative tomorrow night.

This is regarding a new WSJ report...

@slmandel: "17 women reported sexual or domestic assaults involving 19 players, including four alleged gang rapes, since 2011" at Baylor.

Top Bottom