• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 Nintendo Direct trailer

awesomestuffmxu0s.gif

That dragon thing almost looks like Ridley.

Hypron

Apart from the part that looks like Space Harrier (Platinum, please stop this foolishness), it looks awesome. I almost wish I had a Wii U.

Azure J

some gifs, any requests?
awesomestuffmxu0s.gif

This is like four or so of my favorite moments from the past generation of games in one sequence:

Bayonetta: Clock Tower Intro
Metroid Prime 3: Ridley at Norion
Super Mario Galaxy: Sling Stars
Sonic Colors: Terminal Velocity Act 1

I am stupidly fucking hype. The game is also gorgeous in a strange way to me. Very clean and colorful without looking sterile or overdone on either aspect.

This looks loads of fun. Im assuming Wii U Exclusive? Its the only really interesting thing on the Wii u for me and i wont buy a machine just for one game. Looks like a really original game though..

I already have a Wii U and I'm ok if people are calling me Nintendo's bitch because I like so many of their games but The Wonderful 101 was one of the best surprises I had on this system when it was announced. Seeing this new trailer is making my hype rising more and more. This is really looking awesome, both fun and beautiful.

One of my most wanted game right now.

I really want to see more new games... ok Mario, Zelda, Pikmin, Yoshi etc. are games I'm going to buy but something fresh is always appreciated.

Stulaw

Does that Lambo guy (the evil one with the beret) sound like Picollo Jr from DB/DBZ to any of you guys?

The game looks awesome, and I liked what I played of it at MCM last year. Definitely getting a Wii U this year.

SelfCon

This looks sooooo good, but I need more than this to justify the purchase of a Wii U right now. Give me more shit like this and less Mario & friends.

Yeah, I said it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Not only it's gorgeous fun, but it's by far the best title on Wii U for the next future techwise.

zoukka

How Platinum just pushes out varied, innovative games with a big G is amazing and commendable. You think great IP's like Viewriful Joe are dead, but some of the DNA of those old IP's keep surviving and getting injected to new games.

I hope they make games forever.

Kouriozan

I expect there to be one with all the companies they're collaborating with.

Iwata Asks: Namco Bandai Games
Iwata Asks: Atlus

And whatever the other collaborations are that they're working on at the moment, since Iwata made it clear there's a few still under wraps.

That would be so nice.
And I can't wait for this game too, looks super fun and colorful.
HD colors are really nice.

javac

Does anyone think that this will have Off-TV play? That would be killer, being able to play this in bed with headphones on, man...speaking of which, playing the new Monolith Soft Game in bed with headphones on would be breathtaking too.

Does anyone think that this will have Off-TV play? That would be killer, being able to play this in bed with headphones on, man...speaking of which, playing the new Monolith Soft Game in bed with headphones on would be breathtaking too.

Very much doubt it.

I thought this was eshop game
I guess this not the case?

I'm sure it will also be available on the eShop, but I am guessing that is not what you (dismissively) meant.

Very much doubt it.

It's possible. When I played it last, the gamepad screen was just a static image of the motions you make for weapons. No reason it couldn't have off-TV play and the dodging mechanic makes it an excellent showcase for how little lag there is.

Game looks like good fun but a killer app for the WiiU this ain't. This won't resonate with mainstream and will just be another Platinum niche game for the hardcore. Don't get me wrong, I will pick this up but let's not get carried away here. It's not a system seller outside of a few hardcore holdouts.
We shouldn't be excited for this game because it probably won't be a super blockbuster 20 million copies sold game? That makes it look less awesome?
I thought this was eshop game
I guess this not the case?
Assassin's Creed 3, BLOPS 2, Arkham City, NSMBU and Nintendo Land are all available on the eShop so I don't know what you're trying to say here.

kinggroin

Banned
We shouldn't be excited for this game because it probably won't be a super blockbuster 20 million copies sold game? That makes it look less awesome?

What was the post he was replying to? I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and so I assume the person he was replying to made a hyperbolic statement relating to Wii U sales and this game.

What was the post he was replying to? I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, and so I assume the person he was replying to made a hyperbolic statement relating to Wii U sales and this game.
He didn't quote any posts and I don't see anyone else going sales age in the thread before that post.

nickcv

Assassin's Creed 3, BLOPS 2, Arkham City, NSMBU and Nintendo Land are all available on the eShop so I don't know what you're trying to say here.

to be fair i also thought this was only an eShop game with no retail box.
not that i don't think the game deserves a retail release, that's just what i understood from the previous threads.

JDSN

Banned
Well I think a lot of people got turned off by a bad npc model that was shown very early in the first video, and kind of ignored what the game looked like overall. Some the later videos that came out showed a lot of interesting visual choices/effects that worked well together. The use of polygons over texturing for certain things in combination with the lighting gives the game a really nice clean and colorful look where various pieces of the background really pop out to the viewer. The game also seems big on terrain transformation, with lots of shots showing the world being broken up, tilted, blown up, etc, which makes for some pretty engaging visual scenes.

I do think the models have been improved upon though since we last saw it. Looks like they've added various particle effects as well.

Its not even the later videos that showed what the game was really about, we got screenshots and impressions that considered it the best Wiiu game at the reveal, the game was great looking day one, but people hated the art style and thought it was uncharacteristic of Platinum games to make games of like this or VJ, implying that Nintendo forced them, saying that they ruined Bayonetta 2's chaces of being made (lol) and saying that this belongs to the Eshop. I do agree its look has improved considerably after the initial reveal.

This is what trolls wanted to make you think the game looked like on the reveal:
lkepo.jpg

I said, "Well, that certainly is unique".

Here is a gameplay demo made30 minutes after that post:

guek

Banned
so we don't have a date for this game yet, right? a shame. I hope they through some serious marketing money behind w101, it deserves it.

Top Bottom