• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mac Hardware and Software |OT| - All things Macintosh

I have a baseline 13” tbMBP (so base proc, 8GB, 256GB) and I don’t do anything intensive on it, but this thing FLIES. Everything loads instantly, I can’t imagine that it’ll ever be slow unless the requirements for macOS change or I switch careers

Even my 2011 Air is still pretty good. I'm not doing 4K video or anything. But for game prototyping it doesn't really cut it anymore, Gamemaker kinda wheezes. Unity is probably unusable? Or at least I know if it's running and the MBA starts turning into a space heater, it's probably too slow.

Gonna miss the god tier keyboard but I'm a total believer in the FT trackpad.

Even my 2011 Air is still pretty good. I'm not doing 4K video or anything. But for game prototyping it doesn't really cut it anymore, Gamemaker kinda wheezes. Unity is probably unusable? Or at least I know if it's running and the MBA starts turning into a space heater, it's probably too slow.

Gonna miss the god tier keyboard but I'm a total believer in the FT trackpad.

Any programs you want me to try out for you? I’m not a game designer but I have unity installed

Any programs you want me to try out for you? I’m not a game designer but I have unity installed

Well it's hard without a project running tbh, blank unity probably runs great. Honestly my first use would be Gamemaker Studio 2 (2D, so the Intel GPU is fine) and then running a compiled project. So no need to go out of your way, mostly just interested in anyone bought upgrades (BTO instead of just what is in the Apple Store) and saw any benefit from them.

febLey

I think I'm about to break. The J-L line on my 2011 MacBook Air is now intermittently working, so it could be time for the 13" 2017 Pro. Thinking:

• Touchbar (can't dump the perf boost and extra fan)
  • 16GB (I will defend 8GB and even 4GB as perfectly fine for Sierra/High Sierra but buying for 5 years from now, I think 16GB is worth it?)
  • 512GB SSD (Honestly, I don't use much storage, even the 128GB Air is okay. But looking forward...)
  • Processor upgrade? Maybe not a big deal but the midrange i5 for $140 seems pretty cheap?

Any MBP owners want to chime in?
I'd recommend to get 16GB RAM and the 512 GB SSD, but leave the CPU standard. The performance gain is less than 3%.

https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks/

Auctopus

So last week I picked up the macbook pro without the TB, this one:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...test-model-space-gray/5721740.p?skuId=5721740

This morning, I see that the touchbar version is the exact same price:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...sh-storage-space-gray/5465603.p?skuId=5465603

I really don't care for the touchbar, but should I swap? Would their be better performance? I see that it has a different gpu (intel 640 vs intel 6100).

I see a lot of them each day and I haven't seen an application use it an interesting way - it's also one more thing that might break and need fixing.

j-wood

I see a lot of them each day and I haven't seen an application use it an interesting way - it's also one more thing that might break and need fixing.

So if I don't care for the touchbar, there isn't enough of a performance difference that I should return mine and get that one?

Fuchsdh

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...test-model-space-gray/5721740.p?skuId=5721740

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-...sh-storage-space-gray/5465603.p?skuId=5465603

I really don't care for the touchbar, but should I swap? Would their be better performance? I see that it has a different gpu (intel 640 vs intel 6100).

You'll get better performance out of the touchbar model. I'd say going with it is the better idea, unless you really want physical function keys.

Think we'll be seeing a Kaby Lake R / 32 GB refresh this fall?

Going to jump as soon as soon as those things happen.

32GB will only happen if Apple wants to switch from LPDDR4 to regular DDR4. Apparently kaby lake/coffee lake STILL doesn’t support low power RAM 🙄

For which models? Maybe in the normal MacBooks for Kaby Lake R.

We'll have to see what Coffee Lake brings to the 13 and 15" MBPs. In any case, I personally wouldn't get too excited just for either of those bumps alone unless your computer is already pretty old.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca

I'm betting yes on Kaby Lake R.

It finally would give some sort of CPU parity again between the 13'' and 15'' MBP (since KBR has a 4 Core/8 Thread CPU that fits in 13'' MBP's power requirements)

I'm betting yes on Kaby Lake R.

It finally would give some sort of CPU parity again between the 13'' and 15'' MBP (since KBR has a 4 Core/8 Thread CPU that fits in 13'' MBP's power requirements)

Well apart from the fact that Apple only just refreshed the lineup, I'd say evidence against Kaby Lake R would be

- 15W only (maybe cTDP means that it can perform on par? not sure.)
- Intel 620 only (Haven't seen a smidge of Iris 650 yet)

For power savings the move to 15W across the line is great, but everything I'm seeing in those KBR specs doesn't seem to fit the 13" / 15" Touchbar power profiles. It only seems to match the single-fan non TB models that are already 15W anyway, and Apple is pretty clear on making those the low end, cheaper products.

I could be wrong but this really sounds like a stopgap on the way to Coffeelake.

Blackhead

Redarse

One factor others haven't mentioned is that the touchbar model has lower battery life than your Escape model. If that doesn't bother you too much, then buying the touchbar model is a nobrainer at the same price (as you don't have strong opinions about function keys). Not for the touchbar feature itself but for touchID, more power+ports etc
oops. I meant to post: tidtbits trashed the touchbar recently ― What’s Wrong with the Touch Bar
Josh Centers said:
Last October, when Apple unveiled the redesigned MacBook Pro, I wanted one immediately (see “New MacBook Pros Add Context-sensitive Touch Bar,” 27 October 2016). Practically speaking, I needed a second Mac, and a portable one at that. But I was mostly lured in by the Touch Bar, both for its novelty factor, and because, as a technology writer, I like to have experience with each unique Apple device to inform our articles.

Alas, closing in on a year later, I’ve found that I don’t use the Touch Bar much. I was forced to confront this unhappy fact when Adam suggested that I write an article about interesting uses of the Touch Bar. After some research, we agreed that there wasn’t enough there to warrant an article. Although there was a flurry of fascinating developer projects after launch, nothing significant ever shipped.

I’m not saying the Touch Bar is useless, because that isn’t true. At least in theory, it’s more capable and more flexible than a row of physical keys. And Touch ID is fantastic for logging into my MacBook Pro and authenticating 1Password. But if you were to ask me today if you should spend the $300–$400 extra on a MacBook Pro with a Touch Bar, I would say no for two reasons...
he also suggests ways Apple could make the Touchbar useful but considering that one of those suggestions is a hardware improvement that just makes this generation a lost cycle. imo his suggestions still aren't enough and the ones I can think off would still pale in comparison to Apple just sucking in their pride and designing a touchscreen Mac. I more excited tor Luna Display than any next generation touchbar

Fuchsdh

One factor others haven't mentioned is that the touchbar model has lower battery life than your Escape model. If that doesn't bother you too much, then buying the touchbar model is a nobrainer at the same price (as you don't have strong opinions about function keys). Not for the touchbar feature itself but for touchID, more power+ports etc

oops. I meant to post: tidtbits trashed the touchbar recently ― What’s Wrong with the Touch Bar

he also suggests ways Apple could make the Touchbar useful but considering that one of those suggestions is a hardware improvement that just makes this generation a lost cycle. imo his suggestions still aren't enough and the ones I can think off would still pale in comparison to Apple just sucking in their pride and designing a touchscreen Mac. I more excited tor Luna Display than any next generation touchbar

Given the Apple patents we see the touchbar gaining "physical" response is a given on an infinite timescale.

Blackhead

Redarse
Given the Apple patents we see the touchbar gaining "physical" response is a given on an infinite timescale.

"physical" response is still not a proper solution imo. It just tells you that you've got your finger on a 'button' it doesn't tell you what the button actually is. Because the touchbar buttons can be changed so drastically you still have to glance down to make sure of the current UI context and that you're pressing the correct button

bionic77

I did not upgrade yet to the new MBPs so I can't really comment on long term usefulness, but I thought the touchbar was incredibly slick when I used it in the store.

I am not a pro user though so I can see how some people might have far more demanding needs than myself.

Be interesting to see how it holds up in the long term. Initial reactions are pretty negative.

Fuchsdh

Well, then it comes down to whether you value context-sensitive keys that can change on the fly but are harder to hit versus ones that are more opaque. The guy's stated use case of volume and brightness control to me is an interesting one as I never have my hands in any position where I would not be looking down at the keyboard for using those shortcuts, since that's not where my hand normally is. Especially for me the only physical button I actually miss is Esc. The rest I can take or leave.

Blackhead

Redarse
Well, then it comes down to whether you value context-sensitive keys that can change on the fly but are harder to hit versus ones that are more opaque. The guy's stated use case of volume and brightness control to me is an interesting one as I never have my hands in any position where I would not be looking down at the keyboard for using those shortcuts, since that's not where my hand normally is. Especially for me the only physical button I actually miss is Esc. The rest I can take or leave.

? you always look down at the keyboard for function keys?

Anyway Craig Mod has a guide to reducing the painfulness of the feature ― Touch bar for minimalists

How/where?? Or do you have a special deal somehow? I would love to buy that instantly for that price.

It's through the U.S exchange site, so military only unfortunately.

Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the 128GB MBP. I'm obviously going to need an external HD. Any recommendations, I'd prefer really good speeds?

Also for work I'd need to run Windows. Is the preferred method to run Windows is via Bootcamp or a VM/Parallels? Should the Windows partition be solely on the external because of HD space limitations?

Thanks, I'm a total Mac noob!

It's through the U.S exchange site, so military only unfortunately.

Pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger on the 128GB MBP. I'm obviously going to need an external HD. Any recommendations, I'd prefer really good speeds?

Also for work I'd need to run Windows. Is the preferred method to run Windows is via Bootcamp or a VM/Parallels? Should the Windows partition be solely on the external because of HD space limitations?

Thanks, I'm a total Mac noob!

Bootcamp/Parallels depends on the programs you'll be needing to run.

Bootcamp/Parallels depends on the programs you'll be needing to run.

I'd mostly be accessing websites that run certificates and security verification primarily through Windows. But on the chance that I might want to run specific programs or maybe an old game, which offers the best Windows performance?

Started using my 2016 MBP today and noticed that the S key is repeating on a single touch. Looked it up and apparently it'ss (<-- see there it is) a common issue on these shitty butterfly keyboards. Anyone else have this problem? I'm dreading having to bring it in to Apple.

I'd mostly be accessing websites that run certificates and security verification primarily through Windows. But on the chance that I might want to run specific programs or maybe an old game, which offers the best Windows performance?

Bootcamp offers the best performance since you’re just installing Windows straight onto the machine, recommended if you need the best performance possible.

Parallels in my experience is pretty good, I wouldn’t play any recent games in it but they boast having the best gaming performance, though I don’t know if that’s true. Programs themselves run just fine in parallels and you can even add program shortcuts themselves into your dock and whatnot instead of having to reboot into Windows itself (which you will have to do with Bootcamp).

Now the cool thing is Parallels has the ability to load up your Bootcamp partition if you so desire. So you can load in specific programs that exist on your Bootcamp, but if you need to switch over it’s literally the same install

Fuchsdh

Bootcamp offers the best performance since you’re just installing Windows straight onto the machine, recommended if you need the best performance possible.

Parallels in my experience is pretty good, I wouldn’t play any recent games in it but they boast having the best gaming performance, though I don’t know if that’s true. Programs themselves run just fine in parallels and you can even add program shortcuts themselves into your dock and whatnot instead of having to reboot into Windows itself (which you will have to do with Bootcamp).

Now the cool thing is Parallels has the ability to load up your Bootcamp partition if you so desire. So you can load in specific programs that exist on your Bootcamp, but if you need to switch over it’s literally the same install

Parallels definitely has better gaming performance, but you're still taking a pretty big hit compared to running the game native in MacOS or in a Bootcamp partition. I wouldn't recommend it for anything newer than a few years old if you want a decent experience or resolution.

Parallels running Minecraft W10 Edition still performs better than MacOS native Java, though :p

Parallels definitely has better gaming performance, but you're still taking a pretty big hit compared to running the game native in MacOS or in a Bootcamp partition. I wouldn't recommend it for anything newer than a few years old if you want a decent experience or resolution.

Parallels running Minecraft W10 Edition still performs better than MacOS native Java, though :p

Everything runs better than java anything

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think I'm about to break. The J-L line on my 2011 MacBook Air is now intermittently working, so it could be time for the 13" 2017 Pro. Thinking:
  • Touchbar (can't dump the perf boost and extra fan)
  • 16GB (I will defend 8GB and even 4GB as perfectly fine for Sierra/High Sierra but buying for 5 years from now, I think 16GB is worth it?)
  • 512GB SSD (Honestly, I don't use much storage, even the 128GB Air is okay. But looking forward...)
  • Processor upgrade? Maybe not a big deal but the midrange i5 for $140 seems pretty cheap?

Any MBP owners want to chime in?
As someone with a 13" rMBP from 2013, my chosen upgrades were 16GB RAM and an 512GB SDD.

I was honestly thinking at the time that I would 100% upgrade in three years (last year). However, this thing works exceptionally well. I may end up upgrading and giving this away to my family next year.

So, my recommendation would be to definitely go for 16GB. I don't think it's wise to go with anything less. The storage isn't as needed.

I currently have 170GB used, which includes a Bootcamp partition. However, I haven't used Bootcamp since I finished college last year. So the size upgrade is completely up to you. 256GB should be fine, especially if you have external drives.

jetsetrez

Is it possible to Bootcamp Windows on an external SSD? And if so is performance reduced? I’m thinking about the idea of having an external Windows drive specifically for games.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Is it possible to Bootcamp Windows on an external SSD? And if so is performance reduced? I'm thinking about the idea of having an external Windows drive specifically for games.
Seems like it's possible.

Make a bootable installer USB drive using the Windows ISO. Then follow the instructions.

You could theoretically use Bootcamp to create the USB, but that would require you to partition your internal drive. If you have a Windows PC, you can use this tool to make the ISO into a bootable USB drive.

Boot from the installer, install Windows on your external drive, profit?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5431182?tstart=0

You'll probably have to do your own R/W speed tests to see if it's worth installing Windows on the external drive.

Ambitious

Still haven't found a solution for my fan issue, but then again, I haven't invested much time in it recently, and I've hardly used my MBP at all in the last weeks.

Quoting myself:
I'm using a first-gen rMBP. Whenever I plug in my second monitor, the fans spin up and make noise, even if no apps are running at all. What's this about?

The rMBP uses the standard, non-scaled retina resolution. The monitor is 1080p. I've already tried resetting the PRAM and SMC, as well as turning off automatic graphics switching. Neither fixed it.

I've also tried cleaning the fans with a vacuum cleaner. Didn't help either.

According to iStat Menus, both CPU and GPU have a temperature of 70°C right now (158°F). The CPU load is at just 5%. The fans are not only audible, but loud enough to be really annoying. The fans are running at 4700rpm and 4400rpm, respectively.

Any ideas?

edit: backupd was launched. The CPU load is now at 10%, and the fans are running at 5000rpm and 4600rpm.
edit2: The load and temperatures are still the same, yet the fans are now running at 5200rpm and 4800rpm.

Futureman

Would Apple replace the battery on a late 2013 15" rMBP?

It's pretty much the only issue I have with my MBP. If they would do it for $200 or less I'd consider...

Using Lightroom at full screen brightness drains the battery in less than an hour or so.

It's pretty much the only issue I have with my MBP. If they would do it for $200 or less I'd consider...

Using Lightroom at full screen brightness drains the battery in less than an hour or so.

It’s a whole top case replacement on that model, and I think it’s around $200 if the battery is consumed? Call in and make sure but it should be around there

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I’ll tell you my story because I literally just had that done.

My battery was so bad it caused the keyboard to malfunction and the trackpad to become stiff. I took it in and explained the problem. The people looked at it with me and quoted me $200 + $100 labor. I was shocked. They kept it for 4 days and called me right before I left on vacation and I picked it up. They charged me $200 for the parts but left off the labor cost. No idea why. And I was happy it was so cheap. I would have thought an entire top case replacement would cost more for the aluminum alone.

Your mileage may vary of course. No guarantees you’ll get free labor like I did. But $200 seems to be the normal cost for a battery replacement. Take it in and talk to the geniuses there. They will quote you and you can choose to leave it if you want. No pressure. Just be prepared to lose it for 3-5 business days.

I used the $100 I saved to buy myself a new A.C. adapter.

Started using my 2016 MBP today and noticed that the S key is repeating on a single touch. Looked it up and apparently it'ss (<-- see there it is) a common issue on these shitty butterfly keyboards. Anyone else have this problem? I'm dreading having to bring it in to Apple.

Welp, made an appointment this week to bring it in to Apple. Last thing I need right now is to have my MBP out of service for a couple weeks.

Shouldn't take a couple weeks, normal is 3-5 days, maybe 7 if they're slammed

I hope so. This 2016 MBP is the worst Apple product I've used. First one had the logic board die after a couple months. This one now has a hardware keyboard problem (keyboard feels flimsy in general), and the Touch Bar is also very flaky, often freezing. Not what I expect for a $4000 professional product.

Vashetti

Banned
I hope so. This 2016 MBP is the worst Apple product I've used. First one had the logic board die after a couple months. This one now has a hardware keyboard problem (keyboard feels flimsy in general), and the Touch Bar is also very flaky, often freezing. Not what I expect for a $4000 professional product.

Never buy first iteration Apple products.

Deku Tree

My USBC cable that connects power to my MBP TB bent in my bag. Still works but can’t be sure for how long. Will Apple replace under Apple care?

My USBC cable that connects power to my MBP TB bent in my bag. Still works but can’t be sure for how long. Will Apple replace under Apple care?

Technically AppleCare doesn’t cover accidental damage on accessories that come with products. You might get a nice technician but officially speaking, no

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Asking for a friend: Does the Macbook Air (Core i5 1,8 GHz / 8 GB RAM / SSD 128GB) work smoothly for web development (J2EE)? He wants to Eclipse with Weblogic working at the same time with Chrome. Any help would be appreciated.

Mindwipe

Is it possible to Bootcamp Windows on an external SSD? And if so is performance reduced? I'm thinking about the idea of having an external Windows drive specifically for games.

It is possible, and performance is good. I do it on my iMac. But it's a pain in the ass to set up and involves drive cloning, because it's not an officially supported configuration.

EDIT: I really don't like the Touchbar on my work Mac still. Not because of the lack of physical buttons so much, but I just find that it hides the functions I want to use way to often and I end up hunting around to launch Mission Control etc. You can make this a bit better by tweaking the options but not enough. TouchID is great, but it doesn't work in far too many places which means the great hope of being able to use a long secure SUDO password without it being a pain in the pass continues to be dashed.

Vuze

Anyone here working with FCPX? I got the trial today and I'm blown away how my base model rMB juggles 1440p footage and how well editing a small project works even on such a comparatively small screen.

One issue I couldn't figure out is this connection dot I accidentally placed. I couldn't remove it nor split it from the transition it clinged to like I did with the audio from the clip i imported earlier. Had to resort to undo everything until it was gone lol. Anyone know how to deal with these?

uUeLLcj.png

Shouldn’t take a couple weeks, normal is 3-5 days, maybe 7 if they’re slammed

Unbelievably it only took two days. They had to replace the whole front plate, including a new battery, just for one S key. Seems like an expensive design flaw they need to fix. Or preferably go back to the old keyboards, because after a year using the butterfly I still don't like it.

Fortunately it was still under warranty or I'd be out $310 for a broken key. Makes me want to just use an external keyboard from now on.

Unbelievably it only took two days. They had to replace the whole front plate, including a new battery, just for one S key. Seems like an expensive design flaw they need to fix. Or preferably go back to the old keyboards, because after a year using the butterfly I still don't like it.

Fortunately it was still under warranty or I'd be out $310 for a broken key. Makes me want to just use an external keyboard from now on.

Yeah, the consequence of making things thinner and lighter is the reduction of repairability, even for Apple

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

$310? Where'd you get that number? Did they quote that to you? My 2013 rMBP had the entire topcase, keyboard, trackpad, battery and bottom plate replaced out of warranty a month and a half ago for $200.

Top Bottom