• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

This 1.5Bn DUP deal could have put 170,000 students through uni at the old cost of £3k per year.

Or paid for 50,000 more NHS nurses.

Or funded 84,000 social care apprenticeships

Or installed 7,500 sprinkler systems in tower blocks the size of Grenfel tower.

Or we could just give it to the Tories to pay for votes in parliament..........

What the actual fuck.

Shhh, we are in austerity....

I heard some grumbling from experts along these lines, but I'd had quite enough of listening to them by that point:
Hehe. The way I see it, we've got two years of a shit economy and media/entertainment bias against Brexit to make the public support a referendum on the Brexit deal. Take the shitty deal the Tories have arranged, or stay in the EU? Public opinion can change drastically in two years. And a lot of Brexit supporters will have died anyway =P

theaface

Hehe. The way I see it, we've got two years of a shit economy and media/entertainment bias against Brexit to make the public support a referendum on the Brexit deal. Take the shitty deal the Tories have arranged, or stay in the EU? Public opinion can change drastically in two years. And a lot of Brexit supporters will have died anyway =P

That's the dream, but I'm too jaded/pessimistic cynical to see it happening. Not when we've had so many months of the government marching gleefully into the eye of the storm with their fingers in the ears, muttering 'Brexit means Brexit' and 'will of the people' to themselves, never to question their course. I just can't see the u-turn coming.

King_Moc

Banned
This 1.5Bn DUP deal could have put 170,000 students through uni at the old cost of £3k per year.

Or paid for free school breakfast lunch and dinner for EVERY poor kid, and more.

Or built 8,000 more homes.

Or we could just give it to the Tories to pay for votes in parliament..........tax payers essentially billed 1.5Bn so that Theresa May can keep her job...

What the actual fuck.

This is just depressing. This is the kind of thing the house of lords should be there to put a stop to.

Theonik

To be a registered resident in Germany for over 3 months I have to prove I have sufficient resources to support myself+ have health insurance.
I am well aware. EU citizens don't have to do that for the UK, which, depending on your perspective is a good thing! Until Theresa May took over and decided to instead make everyone's life really awkward.

gun_haver

the money is going to go to invest in northern ireland though, right? that's still part of the UK. i mean maybe it's disproportionate or the places it is going to aren't right (with the DUP i assume they won't be), but it isn't like theresa may just took a billion out of the tax fund and put it in arlene foster's pocket.

jelly

the money is going to go to invest in northern ireland though, right? that's still part of the UK. i mean maybe it's disproportionate or the places it is going to aren't right (with the DUP i assume they won't be), but it isn't like theresa may just took a billion out of the tax fund and put it in arlene foster's pocket.

Well, they did piss 500 million up the wall for some heating thing and I think they are corrupt as well so I wouldn't bet on it.

Wvrs

Or paid for free school breakfast lunch and dinner for EVERY poor kid, and more.

Or we could just give it to the Tories to pay for votes in parliament..........tax payers essentially billed 1.5Bn so that Theresa May can keep her job...

What the actual fuck.

From the other side's point of view, you could make the argument that out of all the parties the Conservatives feel best poised to form at least some semblance of government. Let's suppose the DUP abstained; assuming a progressive-alliance, Labour would still be well short of seats required for a majority. Any minority government they formed would face opposition at every turn.

So the only choices are to ally with the DUP and give in to their demands, or call a general election. We've already delayed Brexit negotiations, and there's the risk that a new election could still result in political turmoil. All that is putting aside the fact that many Conservatives truly believe that their world view is better for the country than Labour's, even if their perspective on what constitutes 'better for the country' is morally questionable.

I don't blame the Tories at all for getting in bed with the DUP, they have no other choice. That doesn't mean I'll delight any less in the inevitable fallout.

Osborne having the time of his life

DDP9SghWAAEKqGN.jpg

The private healthcare advert is a sign of the times we live in.

But there's no magic money tree, just remember that

I get the magic money tree complaint, but we really need to move past it and call the Tories on why they claim there's no money for public services, but they always seem to find money for things that further advance their goals.

Some tough conversations need to be had, but the current state of journalism in this country means no-one will ask the relevant questions or push for answers if they do.

I get the magic money tree complaint, but we really need to move past it and call the Tories on why they claim there's no money for public services, but they always seem to find money for things that further advance their goals.

Some tough conversations need to be had, but the current state of journalism in this country means no-one will ask the relevant questions or push for answers if they do.

I'm beginning to wonder if austerity was simply the Tories saving up to pay for a Brexit bill.

I think that's why people are referencing the 'magic money tree' comment again, it's conveneient that they don't have money for health and social care, the welfare system etc. but can pull £1.5bn out of a hat when it suits them. That comment looks even worse now; not only was it callous it now looks hypocritical.

What the actual fuck.

You know that the money isn't actually going to the DUP, right? It's being spent as public spending, just like all the things you listed.

Moze

Banned
You know that the money isn't actually going to the DUP, right? It's being spent as public spending, just like all the things you listed.

But the fact still remains that the Tories are dedicating 1.5 billion to public spending in NI after condescendingly telling everyone there is no magic money tree.

Kyougar

like all the money a charity gets?
You have staff to pay
You have buildings to maintain
You have cars to maintain
You need a big Headquarter
You need advertising on how to donate to you
You need advertising on how you will spend your money
You need to throw donation parties and galas

A tragedy how little of the money you can spend finally on the things you got the money for. A real tragedy *shakinghead*

Stopped reading there. I'm not going to fill in an 80 page document for you to throw legal hurdles at me for something I should have a right to.

How about you give me my settled status since I've lived my entire adult life here and pay my fair share of tax without voting rights.

I was talking to someone about how May's offer, it's quite deceptive to what some people believe, it's only a guarantee after you succesfully pass the application requirements. The requirements haven't been loosened or made easier.

You still need a full time job/be in education with no gaps longer than 6 months and so on etc. Same thing as before Brexit referendum.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...file/608088/Form-EEA-PR-guidance-notes-v3.pdf

"
. . .ensuring there is no more than a 6 month gap between each document. Ideally these should include March’s payslip for each year and 2 other payslips no more than six months apart, or a letter from employer(s) confirming period(s) of employment and annual earnings.
"

Unless I've read wrong, the "streamline" thing they're talking about and making it easier, is for the new system after Brexit not what's gonna happen in the immediate/near future. And even then the things made easier just seems to be no need to prove you've paid NHS insurance.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-for-eu-nationals-after-brexit-the-key-points

kmag

Given the DUP literally burned £500 million of public money not so long ago, colour me skeptical.

It'll probably end up going to fund Ulster Scots that made up comedy language they've invented because the taigs were getting money for Irish.

theaface

Pesky left wing National Union of Teachers!

"If funding is such a tight issue, why are they spending money on these letters?"

Damn straight. I'd wager at least 99.6% if these """struggling""" teachers have a refrigerator!

Threatening calls from Diana? Are the Daily Mail turning their back on the Queen of Hearts?

Turns out Queen of Hearts was just a synonym for bleeding heart liberal snowflake.

Given the DUP literally burned £500 million of public money not so long ago, colour me skeptical.

It'll probably end up going to fund Ulster Scots that made up comedy language they've invented because the taigs were getting money for Irish.
Given all the legislative things she could have given them, some money is probably the least worst.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I was talking to someone about how May's offer, it's quite deceptive to what some people believe, it's only a guarantee after you succesfully pass the application requirements. The requirements haven't been loosened or made easier.

You still need a full time job/be in education with no gaps longer than 6 months and so on etc. Same thing as before Brexit referendum.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...file/608088/Form-EEA-PR-guidance-notes-v3.pdf

"
. . .ensuring there is no more than a 6 month gap between each document. Ideally these should include March's payslip for each year and 2 other payslips no more than six months apart, or a letter from employer(s) confirming period(s) of employment and annual earnings.
"

Unless I've read wrong, the "streamline" thing they're talking about and making it easier, is for the new system after Brexit not what's gonna happen in the immediate/near future. And even then the things made easier just seems to be no need to prove you've paid NHS insurance.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-for-eu-nationals-after-brexit-the-key-points

I also heard on the BBC that they are still requiring people to have had comprehensive healthcare (private healthcare), so basically, if you've been using the NHS, the healthcare service you pay in to, your residence doesn't count. This is why the EU said it was a horrible proposal. They're still trying to filter EU migrants and keep only a handful. It is an utter shame and I hope the EU gives them hell for it.

Do Tories not ever tire of throwing in with such a vile party and consistently supporting objectively disgusting actions? Because I'm fucking sick of seeing it unfold over and over. Politics in this country at the moment seems to display a fucking cartoonish level of difference in basic morals and human decency that I find the idea that right wing voters can look in the mirror and not see a piece of shit staring back a little delusional.

Do Tories not ever tire of throwing in with such a vile party and consistently supporting objectively disgusting actions? Because I'm fucking sick of seeing it unfold over and over. Politics in this country at the moment seems to display a fucking cartoonish level of difference in basic morals and human decency that I find the idea that right wing voters can look in the mirror and not see a piece of shit staring back a little delusional.
A huge part of tory support will be those people who claim to be accepting and understanding when really they only give a shit about themselves and making money. The other part are the idiots who read the the mail etc. And believe everything that's said.

My wife posted Corbyns speech on Facebook and someone she knows came back with "prat" so my wife asked why she thought that. Her reasons were all your typical gutter trash points of 'IRA, terrorist sympathiser ". My wife went back with a tonne of points about Thatcher dealing with them in secret, the DUPs terrorist ties, selling weapons to Saudi Arabia etc. A day later the woman came back with a joke about my wife and Corbyn sitting in a tree...

Xun

A huge part of tory support will be those people who claim to be accepting and understanding when really they only give a shit about themselves and making money. The other part are the idiots who read the the mail etc. And believe everything that's said.

My wife posted Corbyns speech on Facebook and someone she knows came back with "prat" so my wife asked why she thought that. Her reasons were all your typical gutter trash points of 'IRA, terrorist sympathiser ". My wife went back with a tonne of points about Thatcher dealing with them in secret, the DUPs terrorist ties, selling weapons to Saudi Arabia etc. A day later the woman came back with a joke about my wife and Corbyn sitting in a tree...
"Lalalalalala I'm not listening!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom