• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

St. Louis officer shoots black off-duty cop responding to gunfight

An off-duty St. Louis cop was accidentally shot by a colleague as a gun battle raged nearby between police and a band of suspected car thieves.

The off-duty cop, who lives nearby, heard the chaos erupt. He grabbed his service weapon and hurried out to help police at the scene, according to the Post-Dispatch. The 38-year-old officer, an 11-year department veteran, was initially stopped by two uniformed St. Louis cops and ordered to the ground.

But the cops soon recognized the mystery man as one of their own and told him to walk toward them, according to a department incident summary released Thursday.

That's when another officer arrived — and fired at the off-duty cop, striking him in the arm, the report said.
According to Fox 2 Now, the officer who fired at his colleague told investigators he feared for his safety and didn't recognize the man as one of their own.
More at the link to NY Daily News

Goes to show that even within the force, black people are still not safe. All that is needed for justification of shooting us is he/she feared for their safety.

Please lock if old, couldn't find any topic regarding the story.

Volimar

Without the power of the badge to keep his black rage in check, that officer was just as much a threat as any other black person.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
According to Fox 2 Now, the officer who fired at his colleague told investigators he feared for his safety and didn't recognize the man as one of their own.
Ugh.

keiichi

How do you arrive late to what's happening and feel for your safety when the other officers are allowing the off-duty officer to walk towards them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
If a cop arrives at a scene and a guy with a gun runs around, not wearing a uniform it's actually somewhat believable that he felt threatened, right?
I mean, it's still a problem that apparently the first thing this guy then did was shoot at him, but at least, AT LEAST, the guy who was shot was actually carrying a gun.

sensui-tomo

Why am I paying taxes to fund scaredy cats again, hell when I was younger I used to put the police in the same respect category as firefighters are. Ugh wonder how the police union will spin it.

blakep267

If a cop arrives at a scene and a guy with a gun runs around, not wearing a uniform it's actually somewhat believable that he felt threatened, right?
I mean, it's still a problem that apparently the first thing this guy then did was shoot at him, but at least, AT LEAST, the guy who was shot was actually carrying a gun.
Presumably the first 2 cops had the situation under control and saw he was a cop but the 3rd guy saw the illustrious walking black man and assumed he was a threat

oUHBST2.gif

How does one "accidentally" shoot another person

WHILE

acknowledging that you "feared" for your safety

Can this happen at the same time?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
how did he fear for his safety, when he JUST got there?

like, the dude was interacting with the other two officers, and the other dude just rolled up and decided he was immediately in danger and fired?

that doesn't make any goddamn sense, even by stupid police excuse standards

Moppeh

Banned

But he wasn't running around waving a gun in the air or whatever. He was walking towards two officers who had already confirmed who he was.

This fucking guy showed up to a situation that his colleagues clearly had under control and immediately fired at a black guy with a gun without assessing the situation at all.

TS-08

In a world where that's the actual sequence of events, perhaps.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So a guy is obviously with the other police officers and no one is treating him like a threat. You get out of your car, don't ask any questions, and immediately shoot him? What the fuck?

The car thieves must've been so confused.

Kinyou

That's when another officer arrived — and fired at the off-duty cop, striking him in the arm, the report said.
This sounds like he just fucking stormed in and opened fire. The situation was under freaking control

theWB27

Who said the cop was running towards them? He pulled up with other cops already on the scene. He can't read a situation? He can't read if his fellow cops looked threatened or not?

You just painted a scenario that didn't happen to make up an excuse of why cops keep shooting black folk.

Raguel

I wonder...if an armed bystander shot a cop on accident and said "he feared for his safety," would the person get away with it? It sure seems that cops, no matter how ridiculous the situation is, seems to get away with it 100%.

This is going to make work awkward.
So a guy is obviously with the other police officers and no one is treating him like a threat. You get out of your car, don't ask any questions, and immediately shoot him? What the fuck?

The car thieves must've been so confused.
Lmao. I'd pay to see their looks of confusion.

Didn't recognize him because...

You'd be surprised at how different people can look outside of uniform (Cops, military, construction, etc).

That aside, shows what the real problem is, and I too am curious what Blue Lives Matter and GOP-stans gotta say for this.

Is this not among the saddest "well, at least ..." ever?

Dude was cooperating with the other officers who probably thought he was dangerous, but at least didn't immediately shoot at him.

Arttemis

"the officer who fired at his colleague told investigators he feared for his safety"

Cops can say this in response to anything and get away with it.

BriGuy

"Feared for his safety" is starting to lose meaning. The mere existence of black people shouldn't instill fear, and if it does, you have no business being a cop. There's gotta be some kind of testing they can do for this.

Cagey

Banned
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_761b9cc4-75d1-5023-a38f-c4096f99d114.html

The Post-Dispatch first reported those details Thursday morning based on police sources with knowledge of the shooting. The department media office later confirmed them.

The pursuit began downtown near the Dome at America's Center about 10 p.m. when license recognition equipment alerted police to a vehicle that had been stolen June 15 in Maryland Heights. Officers pursued the vehicle, a white sedan, and used spike strips at one point. Three people inside the stolen car then opened fire at the pursuing officers, striking police vehicles. The officers backed off but continued to follow the car.

The department says the car crashed near the intersection of Park Lane and Astra Avenue, northwest of West Florissant Avenue and Riverview Boulevard. Three people inside fled the vehicle.

Two officers, "fearing for their safety," fired at the suspects, striking one in the ankle, according to a department summary of the shooting.

The off-duty officer heard the commotion and came out of his nearby home with his department-issued gun, police said. That's when he encountered fellow officers and was shot by one of them.

I'm guessing the claim will be that the officer who opened fire and hit the off-duty officer was alerted to shots being fired by the uniformed officers at the actual suspects at the scene he responded to before he got there.

Top Bottom