• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

onQ123

What is a move engine?

I don't know but I think you use this to steer it.

racing_wheel_2_sc.jpg

This. It should be a good degree cheaper. DDR3 is peanuts, whilst GDDR5 is expensive. Having said that, if Microsoft bundle in Kinect 2.0 or anything like that, things could get pricey again for the consumer.

Once again jumping into conclusions. And isn't Sony gonna sell us a touchpad controller? Those are the rumors. I don't expect that to be peanuts.

nib95

Banned
ESRAM is expensive, the total cost for both Orbis and Durango will be around the same.

This is the bit I'm confused about. Why is Esram so expensive then if bandwidth wise it's still potentially less than what GDDR5 can muster (up to 192 GB/s or more? Depending on bus?).

And in terms of manufacturing cost, what amount of GDDR5 would be equivalent to only 32mb of Esram?

Once again jumping into conclusions. And isn't Sony gonna sell us a touchpad controller? Those are the rumors. I don't expect that to be peanuts.

God I hope not. Touch screens and pads, motion controls and all that crap. Not for me. I just want a core gaming machine. Though I appreciate others have differing opinions.

Kimawolf

so I guess the question becomes, will developers up port to the PS4 or downport their games to the next Xbox since some of you believe it will be such a huge difference in overall power.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds as previously rumoured/expected.

Although colour me 'huh' about the 'magic' 3 blocks. They look pretty ordinary from here, the 'data move' one aside, which I guess is where the whole blitter rumour came from.

Oemenia

Banned
The GPU sounds really good given that it now has ESRAM on it hopefully the CPU is better than the PC version.

Also no mention of the 3gb OS footprint, which is also great!

clav

I don't believe it.

No mention of the legacy PPC cores. How can you translate that to x64 without a decrease in performance through an emulator?

Plus I thought northbridge would be eliminated by now.

jchap

If MS goes the more conservative route it would be smart. The games will still look great and third party content will be held back to their system specs screwing the more expensive Sony machine. They will be cheaper, have mass market appeal with Kinect, and the average consumer won't be able to tell the difference between it and PS4.

xenist

This is actually pretty good and logical. What were people expecting? The era of bespoke crazy voodoo magic chips in consoles is loooong gone. Slightly modified mid-range hardware is where it's at now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So is this 170GB bandwidth believable?

It's silly to add them together. It's like adding clockspeeds together on parallel chips.

I also would have to assume it refers to bandwidth between the GPU and eSRAM module, not the bandwidth within the eRAM module. Otherwise it would be a rather big downgrade from 360 on that end.

Although colour me 'huh' about the 'magic' 3 blocks. They look pretty ordinary from here, the 'data move' one aside, which I guess is where the whole blitter rumour came from.

Many people tried to explain that there is no such thing as "magic" chips that double or triple performance. Alas, people want to believe.

charsace

I know its not PC, if anything the number is more meaningless on PC because of overhead. As a theoretical peak it is quite disappointing. Both companies are seemingly focusing on GP and parallel computing, the difference here is that it looks like MS is sacrificing power for Kinect and OS functionality.

Sony with a rumored 1.8 TFLOP GPU plus a Compute unit could easily be twice this, with better overall bandwidth going by rumors. Alot more efficient.

Every rumor has MS focusing on efficiency and Sony matching them through raw power. I doubt Sony's system is more efficient. The number means less here because we don't know how the system is engineered like you do with a pc.

pixlexic

Banned
so I guess the question becomes, will developers up port to the PS4 or downport their games to the next Xbox since some of you believe it will be such a huge difference in overall power.

Well that depends on a lot of things I think.

Will pc gaming continue to rise or fall in the wake of the new consoles?

Will both have similar hardware?

Which one gains the most user base the fastest?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It will probably be X8 throttled down to X6.

I general, X720 looks very much like X360. Shame they've used only 1.2TF part. On paper, I still think that PS4 looks better.

Anyhow, now we know. Multiplatform games will be easily ported between these systems, 1st party devs from both tribes will create great games, and nextgen will trully bring big jump over 7th gen.
Yeah, both should be pretty similar in the end.

If MS goes the more conservative route it would be smart. The games will still look great and third party content will be held back to their system specs screwing the more expensive Sony machine. They will be cheaper, have mass market appeal with Kinect, and the average consumer won't be able to tell the difference between it and PS4.

I think many people would be quite happy about 60 fps third party titles on the PS4.

All the keywords there. Oh the humanity.

I want to know what the GPU is based on. PS4's GPU looks like it's based on the Pitcairn chips (78xx) while the Durango's looks very close to Capa Verde (77xx). That would imply a significant difference in number of ROPs, texture units, and would mean one less geometry engine/rasterizer.

God I hope not. Touch screens and pads, motion controls and all that crap. Not for me. I just want a core gaming machine. Though I appreciate others have differing opinions.

Right?! For me it's pretty simple, if it's not VR then it's a shitty gimmick.

f@luS

More than a member.
im not so much tech guys....but looking at the next god of war, last of us and few other game, next gen will be crazy with even mid/high (not extreme ) hardware

Kenka

The architecture used seems to indicate that downporting to WiiU will be eased ?
I can't tell, I am no techie.

Every rumor has MS focusing on efficiency and Sony matching them through raw power. I doubt Sony's system is more efficient. The number means less here because we don't know how the system is engineered like you do with a pc.

This whole drivel about efficency and raw power is just nonsense. What does that even mean? Of course devs will fully utilize Sonys hardware.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I want to know what the GPU is based on. PS4's GPU looks like it's based on the Pitcairn chips (78xx) while the Durango's looks very close to Capa Verde (77xx). That would imply a significant difference in number of ROPs, texture units, and would mean one less geometry engine/rasterizer.

It'll be either GCN or GCN2, not Cape Verde I'm sure.

Wow looks pretty identical to rumors. Hdmi in is really making it clear how Microsoft wants to position this console.

Did Karak ever post anything?

This looks pretty similar to the earlier leaks, right?

Yes. It's amazing how close all these latest leaks match up to the rumors from a long time ago. Like the one that said PS4 was 1.8TF and X720 was 1-1.5TF. 18cu vs 12 cu etc. I guess they were correct after all.

But are the specs incomplete ? What about special sauce ?

Audioboxer

If the hardware overall is similar to each other (like two PC's one slower, one faster, but both with AMD CPU/GPU), then wouldn't scaling (up and down) be quite "easy" ?

And by scaling up I mean adding extra effects/textures/resolution/AA or whatever can be done. Just like how a PC game works across differing hardware.

Hardware last gen was pretty different hence porting/development parity issues.

JaggedSac

It's silly to add them together. It's like adding clockspeeds together on parallel chips.

I also would have to assume it refers to bandwidth between the GPU and eSRAM module, not the bandwidth within the eRAM module. Otherwise it would be a rather big downgrade from 360 on that end.

Can the 360 access both edram and main ram in parallel?

No he wasn't probably talking about that at all. Why would he be talking about Nvidia?

Here and before you question it.

That is quite interesting. But what he seems to be talking about is from a port perspective, basically, you are running the same code on two different systems. Code that would have the same sort of requirements, shadows in his example. Its true but its not what im talking about...

pestul

im not so much tech guys....but looking at the next god of war, last of us and few other game, next gen will be crazy with even mid/high (not extreme ) hardware

Exactly. Look at the late life output of these current generation consoles. Nextgen games are going to be balls to the wall crazy.. They didn't even need to max these out with highend PC specs.

Top Bottom