• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball FighterZ - Characters, Specials, and Stages Discussion

Rutger

Banned
Poor 17. But there's always a chance as DLC or in FighterZ 2.

SSB Goku and Vegeta are not a surprise in the least, and since this is an Arcsys game, there's little reason to worry about them being too similar to their Super Saiyan forms.

mooncakes

17 got left behind. Don't care much about the blue version of Goku and Vegita but I hope they differentiate them enough to make them play differently.

Takeru

For the record, hundreds of things have changed so don't take my word for it.

Also, Kinda heart broken. I guess I'll have to pray for DLC now. But the fact he's in a super makes it kind of hopeless.

Soon as I heard the news I thought of you and came to collect those delicious tears

Slaythe

Ok, crusade here we go.

If you guys feel like helping, I tweeted at bandai to get their attention, any like and retweet will help.

5Hl4Olm.gif

https://twitter.com/JustSlaythe/status/898200919820685312

Slaythe

Like... all but one of those are regular DBZ stuff, lol.

You know, this was always one of the more disappointing things about Z. Not many characters felt that they had truly unique fighting styles.

Regular DBZ stuff except 17 is the only one doing it consistently. He's a speed dodge type character, and his barrier's usage is unique, we've seen several applications for it in Super.

He would be great as assist obviously.

He also isn't a kid / dwarf, so he would be an interesting speed archetype with normal body type. Lots of things they can do.

TreIII

Regular DBZ stuff except 17 is the only one doing it consistently. He's a speed dodge type character, and his barrier's usage is unique, we've seen several applications for it in Super.

He would be great as assist obviously.

He also isn't a kid / dwarf, so he would be an interesting speed archetype with normal body type. Lots of things they can do.

I'm convinced that 17 (Super era) is going to be DLC. There ain't no way his good showing in the ToP arc won't make him a high priority, and they certainly know that by the point, he'll be something people will be willing to pay for, post-launch.

But at this point, I'm wondering if this version of 18 is supposed to be the "evil" one from Trunks' timeline, since that's the main instance where 17 and 18 fought like a pair. And if timey-wimey shenanigans are at play here, then it'd just make all the more sense.

TWILT

Banned
RT'd the tweet, Slaythe. Here's hoping.

Pretty bummed out 17 just being part of a super with 18, but I don't want to give up hope just yet. I'm happy 18's in and 16's cool at least. I don't mind SSB Goku and Vegeta either since they probably didn't take much effort to make.

cordy

Banned
Yeah I say let 17 be in a DLC packet or be one of the first characters announced for "Dragon Ball Fighter S: Super" or whatever they'll call it. If there's DLC I see these characters being in it.

- Merged Zamasu
- Future Trunks (Super)
- Botamo (for his playstyle)
- Roshi

Slaythe

Thanks for the support guys, appreciate it.

I'm honestly not sure about DLC either because they decided about that pretty early on. I did my best behind the scenes to push for it but yeah... The girls are safe bets because the saiyan wank will never end and they need actual girls.

Also Cordy, Botamo ? LMAO nobody is gonna pay actual money to play Botamo :p unless they made him literally untouchable. Which would be hilarious.

cordy

Banned

I'm honestly not sure about DLC either because they decided about that pretty early on. I did my best behind the scenes to push for it but yeah... The girls are safe bets because the saiyan wank will never end and they need actual girls.

Also Cordy, Botamo ? LMAO nobody is gonna pay actual money to play Botamo :p unless they made him literally untouchable. Which would be hilarious.

I wouldn't pay for him either. The characters I want are in.

Botamo would be lame cuz we have barley seen any offensive for him. I would be down with Magetta though. Very unconventional as your typical DBZ fighter that would be fun to play as.

I-hate-u

It's funny because Botamo can be an interesting character in this game. Problem is that he has no fighting moves pretty much.

Sad 17 isn't in, but it was expected if we were going off of DB fighting games after the last 2 decades. 16 and 18 always made it and 17 never did...

SSJB Goku and SSJB Vegeta aren't a surprise to me, I'm pretty neutral on their inclusion. As long as they're cool and unique I'm down with it. At first I was skeptical this mean any Super representation, as they probably just reused their initial models and just changed what they needed to make them look SSJB, but the inclusion of SSJB x Kaio-ken is has me thinking Super is now a go to some degree.

Also 6 characters in 2 months? Starting to think we might get a pretty decent roster, at least slightly bigger than we were initially expecting. Hoping we get some trailers for some of these characters at Gamescom or soon.

I'd say any more obvious inclusions would be Ultimate Gohan, Beerus, Vegito, Kid Buu, and Gotenks. After we get past those and if there is still characters left to announce, is when stuff will get interesting.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait whats going on? did we get a final roster announcement or something?

HardRojo

wait whats going on? did we get a final roster announcement or something?

Nope, not yet. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta confirmed (classic outfits though, not their spectacular RoF versions) along with Androids 16 and 18. 17 seems to have reduced to an assist for 18, he hasn't been outright denied but I think his chances have lowered. Maybe we could see his Super version as DLC, as he's proven in the latest episodes that he deserves a spot.

Anth0ny

I think 17 will be DLC. They obviously finalized the roster and movesets long before they knew anything about the tournament of power or who would be on the Universe 7 team.

We're about to have two different gokus and vegetas in the game. A playable 17 and a 17 that pops up for 18's super ain't a big deal.

mas8705

Definitely would be nice to share the pics, but the best we can do is just look online or go to youtube and see the pictures posted by others.

Honestly the more I'm thinking about it, I just thought of something. I know I got a bit of slag when I had said this previously, but I do wonder of the chances of this happening.

What if 18/17 work in the same way as the Ice Climbers do in Smash Bros? Not the whole idea of two characters used at one time, but more to the idea that you could actually choose between Popo and Nana as the point character while the other would be the support? In that case like in say the color selection, you could pick if you want 17 or 18 to be the point character while the other helps out (to which you can then easily say the ultimate attack would be the same since it would be the two raining down firey hell on Gohan or anyone who gets stuck in the attack).

The only problem with this is (as mentioned earlier), there are at least a few differences between the two and it would be weird to either take away a few special moves that one Android has, or to give those special moves to the other that never had it in the first place.

Either way though, that could be one way as to how 17 gets in. Otherwise, 17 as DLC would be the best alternative and to give him some "Super" abilities to really make him shine. 18 represents DBZ, 17 represents Super.

And hopefully not 17 representing GT.

---

Speaking of Super though, I think it would be fair to say that Hit now stands a pretty good chance of getting into DBFighterZ now. If we have SSGSS Goku going kaioken x10, that would stand to reason that Hit could be included in (or at least have hit be the U6 representative since the only other choices at this point would be Cabba and Frost). We'll see what happens there, but definitely will be interested to see if we get a trailer next week showcasing these recently announced characters in action. We still have yet to see Piccolo or Krillin in motion yet, and now we got another four (to which if we have a possible set of 13 characters to pick from for the Beta, that would be jaw dropping).

DrDogg

Yeah I say let 17 be in a DLC packet or be one of the first characters announced for "Dragon Ball Fighter S: Super" or whatever they'll call it. If there's DLC I see these characters being in it.

- Merged Zamasu
- Future Trunks (Super)
- Botamo (for his playstyle)
- Roshi

How would DBS Future Trunks differ from DBZ Future Trunks? Not seeing any reason for him being in the game with the DBZ version already there. Is he going to get mad for his super or summon Mei?

I'm not convinced 17 won't be in. He could very easily still be in and have a move where he summons 18.

Pretty much this. I think everyone is overreacting. IMO 17 is a lock for the main roster now that we have 16 and 18 confirmed. Just because they didn't announce them all at once doesn't really mean anything.

Slaythe

How would DBS Future Trunks differ from DBZ Future Trunks? Not seeing any reason for him being in the game with the DBZ version already there. Is he going to get mad for his super or summon Mei?

They made a second Vegeta.

Trunks in Super has : Sword energy beams, Garlick Gun/Final Flash, a new transformation, and the genki sword.

Pretty much this. I think everyone is overreacting. IMO 17 is a lock for the main roster now that we have 16 and 18 confirmed. Just because they didn't announce them all at once doesn't really mean anything.

Except it doesn't make sense.

"Fight the Androids" was the theme, they announce 16 and how there is a big story twist regarding the character.

Either they would have announced 16 alone, or with all 3 androids.

On top of that, they would have shown 17 and 18 together first, or after 16 was announced. This was the perfect opportunity to reveal the 3rd man in the 3 men team.

17 wouldn't be the Super version but the Z version too. And they did show him out in the scan, as "an assist".

No reason to hide 17 in a scan that had SSBkaioken etc...

He's the opposite of a lock.

Alienous

You only have to put yourself in the shoes of someone building a Dragon Ball Z/Super fighting game roster in early 2016 to know which characters will and won't be in it.

Android 17 wouldn't have made any sense at the time. Android 18 is guaranteed, and Android 16 has a more distinct moveset than 17 - no amount of cool looking elbows and backflips will change that.

This is why you can expect characters like Dabura - in a fighting game you want the most diverse roster possible, and a red devil wearing a blue jumpsuit and wielding a sword is a big step in that direction.

Android 17 was so low on the priority list that they made him part of Android 18's moveset, which is a move I have no doubt they're kicking themselves for doing. But they couldn't have predicted the resurgence of a character who was as relevant as Launch or Raditz only a few months ago.

Goku Black and Hit will round out the Super representation, as those characters would have been in discussion when a roster was being planned. I would have expected Android 17 as a DLC character, but given that they made him and 18 into one character Caulifla seems much more likely now.

I also wouldn't expect a Super variation for Trunks. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta are distinct forms that represent Super, but 'SSJ Rage' isn't. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta were likely split off because having SSB as a SSJ Goku transformation would have been too many options for one character, and splitting SSB Goku means doing the same for Vegeta. But I don't see them doing Super Trunks - it feels like it would be one too many clones.

Neoxon

You only have to put yourself in the shoes of someone building a Dragon Ball Z/Super fighting game roster in early 2016 to know which characters will and won't be in it.

Android 17 wouldn't have made any sense at the time. Android 18 is guaranteed, and Android 16 has a more distinct moveset than 17 - no amount of cool looking elbows and backflips will change that.

This is why you can expect characters like Dabura - in a fighting game you want the most diverse roster possible, and a red devil wearing a blue jumpsuit and wielding a sword is a big step in that direction.

Android 17 was so low on the priority list that they made him part of Android 18's moveset, which is a move I have no doubt they're kicking themselves for doing. But they couldn't have predicted the resurgence of a character who was as relevant as Launch or Raditz only a few months ago.

Goku Black and Hit will round out the Super representation, as those characters would have been in discussion when a roster was being planned. I would have expected Android 17 as a DLC character, but given that they made him and 18 into one character Caulifla seems much more likely now.

I also wouldn't expect a Super variation for Trunks. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta are distinct forms that represent Super, but 'SSJ Rage' isn't. SSB Goku and SSB Vegeta were likely split off because having SSB as a SSJ Goku transformation would have been too many options for one character, and splitting SSB Goku means doing the same for Vegeta. But I don't see them doing Super Trunks - it feels like it would be one too many clones.
It's not like 17 can't be DLC later. He only shows up in one super.

Alienous

It's not like 17 can't be DLC later. He only shows up in one super.

He could be, but as I said integrating him into Android 18's moveset makes that unlikely, imo. I feel like they'd have to change her moveset to add Android 17.

I'm sure they're kicking themselves for doing it.

They probably couldn't justify giving him his own slot, based on just what they would have known in early 2016. Ironically it seems like their keenness to get Android 17 in, in any fashion, could end up barring him from being his own character - like an assist trophy in Smash Bros.

Neoxon

He could be, but as I said integrating him into Android 18's moveset makes that unlikely, imo. I feel like they'd have to change her moveset to add Android 17.

Again, one move, like how Goku shows up in Gohan's ultimate move.

17 as DLC isn't out of the question, & I'd be surprised if ASW restricted themselves because of 18's super.

Slaythe

For all you know he only shows up in her LV3, which is a glorified cutscene.

Not like Goku being in Gohan's kamehameha prevented anything.

Alienous

For all you know he only shows up in her LV3, which is a glorified cutscene.

Not like Goku being in Gohan's kamehameha prevented anything.

Maybe. But I'm just following my logic here - the same logic which concluded that Android 16 would get into the roster ahead of 17.

Neoxon

Maybe. But I'm just following my logic here - the same logic which concluded that Android 16 would get into the roster ahead of 17.
They wouldn't have to overhaul 18's entire moveset to include 17 on his own as DLC, just one cutscene. And even then, ASW doesn't even have to change it if they don't want to. Just give 17 his DBS outfit to set him apart.

RocBase

Damn you shilling for Dabura hard af lol

Slaythe

The logic I've explained in my posts - how I think a developer would approach a roster if they didn't have a bias towards Android 17.

Right, but that's separate from him being added as a DLC.

You said he won't because he's part of 18's moveset... but you don't know that ? Him being part of a level 3 (a cutscene) to mimic an anime moment is hardly "wasting the character" on somebody else's moveset. That's similar to the father son kamehameha.

Now if 18's assist is 17 showing up with his shield, I guess that's game over.

that logic doesn't make much sense

it's ignoring the super representation that we've seen

it's ignoring the super representation that we all suspect is coming

it's ignoring the way game dev works

and it's ignoring the fact that the game is months away

Alienous

Right, but that's separate from him being added as a DLC.

You said he won't because he's part of 18's moveset... but you don't know that ? Him being part of a level 3 (a cutscene) to mimic an anime moment is hardly "wasting the character" on somebody else's moveset. That's similar to the father son kamehameha.

Now if 18's assist is 17 showing up with his shield, I guess that's game over.

Fair enough. If I'm overestimating how much 17 appears in 18's moveset I could be wrong. Android 17 is basically the Goku Black or Hit of this Super arc, so I'm sure they'd bend over backwards to include him.

that logic doesn't make much sense

it's ignoring the super representation that we've seen

it's ignoring the super representation that we all suspect is coming

it's ignoring the way game dev works

and it's ignoring the fact that the game is months away

I'm taking all of that into account. As far as I see it 17 in is in competition with Caulifla when it comes to being the first DLC character, and I could see her taking the spot especially if Android 17 already has some representation in the game.

Gurnlei

Android 16 made it in for different sizes and movesets.

Surprised and happy to see him in since he was my most wanted character.

Skab

They made a second Vegeta.

Trunks in Super has : Sword energy beams, Garlick Gun/Final Flash, a new transformation, and the genki sword.

Except it doesn't make sense.

"Fight the Androids" was the theme, they announce 16 and how there is a big story twist regarding the character.

Either they would have announced 16 alone, or with all 3 androids.

On top of that, they would have shown 17 and 18 together first, or after 16 was announced. This was the perfect opportunity to reveal the 3rd man in the 3 men team.

17 wouldn't be the Super version but the Z version too. And they did show him out in the scan, as "an assist".

No reason to hide 17 in a scan that had SSBkaioken etc...

He's the opposite of a lock.

Maybe 17 just isn't in a state where theyre ready to show/announce him yet?

It's clear that theyre not really announcing characters in any sort of given pattern, and are most likely just revealing them as they get to a point that theyre ready. So, maybe 17 just isnt there yet.

Slaythe

Fair enough. If I'm overestimating how much 17 appears in 18's moveset I could be wrong. Android 17 is basically the Goku Black or Hit of this Super arc, so I'm sure they'd bend over backwards to include him.

Yeah as I said, since 18 is piss poor, I'm scared 17 will be the assist character when she's tagged out lmao.

That being said that's a 2 days fix, just remove him as assist and that's it.

Also for the record, in RB2, this was 17's super attack
giphy.gif

and this was 18's
giphy.gif

So they have some leeway.

For the record, it's clear they designed 18's super before 17 became a main character. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of fan service for him in her super attack. But that just makes the attack cooler I guess. And they can give him another team attack with 18 as his super to make it even.

Maybe 17 just isn't in a state where theyre ready to show/announce him yet?

It's clear that theyre not really announcing characters in any sort of given pattern, and are most likely just revealing them as they get to a point that theyre ready. So, maybe 17 just isnt there yet.

It's also possible, since it's clear 17 had 0 shot of making it in without his Super revival (which was announced last November). I wouldn't be holding my breath for that though.

Or maybe we're looking at this the wrong way, and the fan service they gave him is precisely because they know they'd be facing a shit storm with him as a main character for almost an entire year in Super (literally came back in April lol) when the game drops and he's not playable, so they tried to throw the fans a bone with 18's super.

Top Bottom