• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Possible to be even higher, too.

If Leafs can ever fix their defensive woes with the incredible amount of firepower they have, they'll likely be dominant. They've got near or potentially the best depth in the NHL. (at forward and D... our G depth blows) and the scoring depth just crushes every other team.

giphy.gif

PillarEN

I could see Vegas being at the bottom. Even with some of their KHL signings I think their draft heavy team is going to be licking their chops for the draft lottery with the highest chance of winning.

The real question is who is going go regress/come back down to earth harder: Toronto or Edmonton?
Edmonton.

Pikma

Banned
I could see Vegas being at the bottom. Even with some of their KHL signings I think their draft heavy team is going to be licking their chops for the draft lottery with the highest chance of winning.

Edmonton.

that wouldn't be a bad strategy tbh, nobody expects them to make the playoffs or anything so might as well continue to build up

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Boston is not going to trade Pastrnak. He has potential to be one of the greatest players of all time. There are only 5 guys in the league who are true comparables with Pastrnak - Matthews, McDavid, Marner, William Nylander and Liljegren. But, those players are not being traded. Neither is Pastrnak.

If Leafs can ever fix their defensive woes with the incredible amount of firepower they have, they'll likely be dominant. They've got near or potentially the best depth in the NHL. (at forward and D... our G depth blows) and the scoring depth just crushes every other team.

These are the kind of hot offseason takes NHLGAF should pride itself in

10/10

mo60

If that prediction is anywere near accurate the Sens are going to do way worse then last year.I have a feeling the lightning and maple leafs are way to high in this prediction.I think the oilers can sneak into the playoffs this year.

If that prediction is anywere near accurate the Sens are going to do way worse then last year.I have a feeling the lightning and maple leafs are way to high in this prediction.I think the oilers can sneak into the playoffs this year.

Really?! The Lightning were a point out of the playoffs with like... less than half a team last year. I really think they'll be one of the better teams in the East this year.

mo60

Really?! The Lightning were a point out of the playoffs with like... less than half a team last year. I really think they'll be one of the better teams in the East this year.

I think the lightning will make it this time but they probably won't be in the top 10. Also unless the jets pull have an insanely lucky season they won't break 100 points.

yyzjohn

Banned

But if they don't play defense then could be lower. Considering it's been like 14 years since we had a functional defense, probably the safe bet lol
I knew this was coming.

Yawnier

Banned
The real question is who is going go regress/come back down to earth harder: Toronto or Edmonton?

Zroid or Dopey could elaborate more on this but I don't believe either the Leafs or Oilers numbers last season were unsustainable, like the Avs in 13-14 or the Flames in 14-15.

However, if McDavid gets injured again like he did almost 2 years ago then the Oilers are almost undoubtedly fucked.

At least if one of Marlanderthews gets hurt for some time, than I do have some confidence in the other two guys to help keep the team afloat.

zroid

Banned
Zroid or Dopey could elaborate more on this but I don't believe either the Leafs or Oilers numbers last season were unsustainable, like the Avs in 13-14 or the Flames in 14-15.

However, if McDavid gets injured again like he did almost 2 years ago then the Oilers are almost undoubtedly fucked.

At least if one of Marlanderthews gets hurt for some time, than I do have some confidence in the other two guys to help keep the team afloat.

the leafs were definitely unusually healthy last year so that's the most likely reason they will be worse next season

the other likely reason is just that other teams they're competing with perform better. Tampa certainly will, Florida probably will, Carolina and Philly might.

edit: Oh the other reason they might be worse is they probably won't have the #1 PP in the league next season

LA a 100 point team? New coach and they added... Cammalleri?

The Pacific should be competitive at the top with Calgary, Edmonton, SJ, Anaheim, and LA all competing for a spot (and feasting on Vancouver/Arizona/Vegas).

the leafs were definitely unusually healthy last year so that's the most likely reason they will be worse next season

the other likely reason is just that other teams they're competing with perform better. Tampa certainly will, Florida probably will, Carolina and Philly might.

We are an enigma this season. We will have so many young guys, especially on the blue line that I have no idea how well we will actually do.

I think we will sneak into the playoffs but don't see us doing much more than that.

Expectations are really gonna ramp up moving past this season though.

Chris R

This confuses me. Did you all add anything of substance to come away 2 slots higher after such a bad season?

Vegas is expected to be a mess of a team.

Vancouver was secretly always worse than the Avs, they just started the tank three months into the season instead of at the start of the season.

zroid

Banned
This confuses me. Did you all add anything of substance to come away 2 slots higher after such a bad season?

No, but conversely, did they subtract much of substance from 2 seasons ago when they finished just a few points out of a playoff spot? Take the average and there you go.

Ondor

Banned
Vegas is expected to be a mess of a team.

Vancouver was secretly always worse than the Avs, they just started the tank three months into the season instead of at the start of the season.
We watched the same Avs team, right? Mess doesn't begin to describe it.

No, but conversely, did they subtract much of substance from 2 seasons ago when they finished just a few points out of a playoff spot? Take the average and there you go.
Lol this is a fair point.

We removed 45% of the deadweight and are replacing it with prospects.
I wasn't too worried about the deadweight. Deadweight is easier to pull than people pulling behind you.

Or passing behind you on a breakaway...

Wild winning the Central Division?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Doubt it, but its possible. They were leading the division for a while up until like 3 weeks left in the season last year if I remember fight.

Bruce is a regular season coach. Wild will win the division and get knocked out game 7 round 1.

Top Bottom