• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
the best three ye albums are 808s, yeezus, and life of pablo

Floridian

What was your hip-hop AOTY last year? What’s your current hip-hop AOTY?

Last year was To Pimp A Butterfly. Now it's a tossup between Atrocity Exhibition, Blank Face LP & the new Tribe album.

IrishNinja

MC short and black, there ain't no other (other)
trini-born black like Nia Long's grandmother

Nas > Jay Z

Biggie > Tupac

Ghostface > other non-Ghostface rappers

ATLiens > other rap albums not named ATLiens

MBDTF > CD > LR > Yeezus > Grad > 808s > FLOP

you were doing so good up till the yeezy rankings

RP912 was too good for us.

i'm okay with this opinion

EWmof.gif
Thanks for choosing my title breh
p0QHO.gif

it was literally the worst one & no one but andrew voted for it but congrats

onions are the GOAT

relevant to hip-hop:
7929ef788a8f8eaf64d6f576ec73095a.jpg

aww yiss
while we're dropping facts: Lammy > PaaRappa

Bring back Recon Yoda

i think the memory of dude is better than the real thing tho

Replace OG Maco with Desiigner.

yeah good call, another name that'll look dusty by the time this struggle thread reaches 200 pages

IrishNinja

damn, we get esh last minute to point out kanye's fuckery, and now andrew's new thread's so bad it brings out another OG

missed you, fam. join us in purgatory.

and lemme hold yo death is silent LP right quick

HiResDes

Yeah what happened to a paint made banner, thought for sure we'd at least get that. What the hell was taking so long?

T Dollarz

Sitting in the library right now actually, bout to put some work in on this Shakespeare class. Built in 2010, this library is sleek as fuck.

Yall can keep on hating, chilling in a library or nice bookstore is a relaxing time.

HiResDes

Finally have solidified my thoughts on Atrocity Exhibition:

It's kind of odd when an artist's output matches up perfectly with what you had ideally conceived for them. Atrocity Exhibition pretty much delivers on the exact sound and concept that I thought I had always wanted out of Danny. It's a natural maturation of his sound, a culmination of the some of the darker experiments showcased on XXX, and Side A of Old. However, for some reason I don't find myself as excited to listen to Atrocity Exhibition as many of his other works. It's definitely a weird realization to come to terms with considering I definitely think it's probably Danny's second best album ever and easily one of the best rap albums of the year.

Atrocity Exhibition is Danny at his most streamlined and focused. For the most part Danny's zany antics are somewhat put in check, the production is quite murky, busy and atmospheric at times. It's so heavily layered, and dense at times that I think it often competes with Danny at times and forces him into a somewhat more stagnant flow. For a guy with so many different flows and the ability to hit so many different dynamic points often times Danny just sort of resorts to these sort of recycled grooves. Of course there are some exceptions, on White Lines maintains this really lovely off-kilter melody throughout and it's also one of the few tracks which sticks to a first person narrative.

The album feels too polished and though Danny's adherence to the overarching themes are a definite strength in one sense, the concepts themselves seem to have already been exhausted by Danny himself. He's not talking about anything different than the things he's already discussed on XXX and Side A of Old, and in fact I don't think he ever gets close to touching the intimacy of XXX, Side A, or even The Hybrid. It's like he skimmed the main themes of those albums and left out the personal intricacies. I touched on it before, but I think Danny's biggest strength is showcased when he's rapping from a first person perspective, through that lens Danny is able to generate these really poignant references to pop culture and takes on the world that are equally depressing, revealing, and comedic. Just take a listen to a song like Fields, DNA, 30, Adderall Admiral or even if you go back to The Hybrid there's S.O.S. and Thank God. His punchlines were simply ingenious, though he still told stories with them if that makes sense.

Atrocity Exhibition is probably Danny's most serious album. There's a constant sense of darkness and paranoia throughout it, but very little of the ironic humor that made Danny's other works so special. Furthermore, the brief moments when Atrocity Exhibition lets up and offers a break from this tension are boring and not amusing, whereas on XXX and The Hybrid you had these really zany breaks that maintained the subject matter while also injecting bit of parody and self-awareness. For example, Radio Song, Scrap or Die, and Party All The Time maintain a certain bleakness while also being quite humorous in a way. I think Danny lost sense of how to do both on A.E.

I think my biggest takeaway on the album is that although the production seems to be more convoluted and heavily layered on Atrocity Exhibition, Danny's sensibility seems more insular throughout. It's still a very good album, but I think it's lacking a lot of the personality and character that made XXX so brilliant. XXX hits on so many emotions concurrently kind of like Mona Lisa's Smile, whereas A.E. would be like if Da Vinci simply drew her with a woeful frown.

Glass Rebel

lil yachty stay making music that would fit on a crib mobile

You need to stay up out them streets if you can't take the heat
Cause it get cold like Minnesota, cold like Minnesota
Cold like Minnesota, cold like Minnesota

lil yachty stay making music that would fit on a crib mobile

Cause it get cold like Minnesota, cold like Minnesota
Cold like Minnesota, cold like Minnesota

All I want to do now is listen to more Yachty.

So apparently GZA's new album will be about Physics and space time? Uh...sounds interesting. Apparently he met with Sallie Chrisholm and David Kaiser.

"I float; while everyone around me's busy drowning...
I float; while everyone around me's busy drowning...
I float."
I think this is one of my favorite song endings of all time.

"I float; while everyone around me's busy drowning...
I float."
I think this is one of my favorite song endings of all time.

Float is a good album, but probably one of my least favorite Aesop albums.

Be intro is the best so it doesn't even matter
Be intro is meh, good beat at the beginning then it get's all zippity do da, Common isn't even rapping that great on it.
Now "It's Your World"? One of the best outros of all time, one of the best songs of all time, and Common kills it on every possible.
I'm sad that's one of the two beats on the album Kanye didn't produce.

Be intro is meh, good beat at the beginning then it get's all zippity do da, Common isn't even rapping that great on it.
Now "It's Your World"? One of the best outros of all time, one of the best songs of all time, and Common kills it on every possible.
I'm sad that's one of the two beats on the album Kanye didn't produce.

?

ARK322

Neo Member
The Infinite remix sucks. Those synth strings they added clash with his flow so much. I know he probably had very little to do with it, but I'll still blame Em for finding a way to fuck up one of his only tracks that still somewhat stands the test of time.

On another note, it seems like the releases seen to be slowing down at this time of year. Kind of odd.

This thread is moving slower than I remember it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom