• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

Soar

Awesome stuff, thanks for the info. That'll help a great deal :)

Regarding weak points in Yokai - that explains a great many things! I had noticed that before but couldn't work out why it would sometimes happen. I'll be sure to switch up my attacks slightly to take advantage of that. Thanks :)

Further to that, you can develop your entire tactics on depleting and denying ki, and there are many buffs on gear, spirits and clan that takes advantage of this. Just an example of how varied the strategies are in Nioh.

Ok, gave some of those tips a try, as a "easy" twilight mission showed up today - basically just doing the first proper level again but with many more demons around) and that tip about the horn worked like a charm. Plus I looked up the weakness of the annoying wheel enemy earlier which also greatly helped me!
Just one question about Twilight missions though - do the bosses become more powerful as well? As I managed to beat the crap out of the boss really quick. Which was at odds to the rest of the mission, which I went through at an incredibly slow, careful pace. Felt damn good to take it down relatively quick.

Caim

Ver 1.18 Patch Notes: https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/nioh/update.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nioh/comments/724vtq/nioh_patch_118_japanese/

The new difficulty mode is called Way of the Nioh.

Just like previous difficulties the requirements for Way of the Demon and Wise have been relaxed.

Higher levels caps for player and guardian spirits.

Clan adjustments and Soul Matching costs reduced.

Maria and Hideyoshi Toyotomi skins.

Bug fixes and much more that needs to be translated, but probably best to wait for the official notes.

Baalzebup

The new difficulty mode is called Way of the Nioh.
Totally called that one.
Just like previous difficulties the requirements for Way of the Demon and Wise have been relaxed.

Higher levels caps for player and guardian spirits.

Clan adjustments and Soul Matching costs reduced.

Maria and Hideyoshi Toyotomi skins.

Bug fixes and much more that needs to be translated, but probably best to wait for the official notes.
I totally welcome the Maria skin, but I still want one for the Yuki-Onna as well. She is both pretty and bad-ass.

Soar

I wonder what Nioh 2's gonna be like.

Doubt they are doing another, though i would be so very fucking hyped if they do the Genpei war in the 12th century with Yoritomo and Benkei. Does anyone even know any games that is set in this era, aside from Total War?

Naite

Was considering not playing the dlc and new modes since I have enough of a backlog and hearing all the nerfs of the skills from last dlc kinda turned me off, but decided to give it a quick glance when I heard there's new weapon skills.

Twisting spear looks like a nice way for spear to do heavy damage fast, assuming the spin isn't too long. I haven't unlocked it yet so I don't know how good it is.

They gave tonfas a parry move which I'm really glad for. It was the thing I missed the most when transitioning from spear to tonfa.

Also if you talk to Tome, you can unlock 2 more sets of item shortcuts, doubling the default 8.

Hey all, is the season pass worth a purchase? For context, I've been enjoying the base game a lot (probably played for around 25 hours so far).

Sjefen

Hey all, is the season pass worth a purchase? For context, I've been enjoying the base game a lot (probably played for around 25 hours so far).

Yes, new spirits, new gear, new enemies, new bosses new locals, and today Abyss. Overall I think you get alot for the money. Many many hours of extra content

Milijango

Finished the main missions in Bloodshed's End. I expected a bit more of a resolution, but there's some cool stuff there.
I hope one of the side missions lets you fight the final boss without the companion.

I'm happy with it. That said, you might want to wait until you've completed the game before deciding to buy it. The base game is already long and you might burn out, and the DLC expects you to have done a decent chunk of NG+ if you don't want to be horribly underpowered. The only benefit you get from the season pass before beating the game are the two new weapon classes (tonfa and odachi).

xuchu

Finished the main missions in Bloodshed's End. I expected a bit more of a resolution, but there's some cool stuff there.
I hope one of the side missions lets you fight the final boss without the companion.

Yes, I agree. Can't believe that they
are saving Maria for Nioh 2

Cool Yokai bosses with good movesets to punish but I can't help but feel the arenas and colour palette of the moves and background blend together and make it hard to see and read telegraphs.

Just beat
Jin Hayabusa though! Loved the NG2/3 RE fast moveset and loved getting izuna dropped by him. Suspectible to parries though even on way of the wise, so went down easily. I got the hayabusa style kusarigama and there is a dragon ninja set with some cool bonuses. Looks like you can get the dragon sword too. Got the skill: Flame dragon but don't know what that is.

xuchu

OMG OMG OMG:

OPteuVx.jpg

Izuna

Banned
I hate All Of YOU for having time to play

Fuck I need to play this tonight after work. I don't care about anything else I Need THIS

Two Tengus at once in a small blocked-off arena made me rage harder than I have in years last night.

I actually threw the controller, fuck you Nioh, fuck you for making me do that.

PS: I had taken a break for what seems to be like a year or some shit when I hit the Sekihagara stage.

Two Tengus at once in a small blocked-off arena made me rage harder than I have in years last night.

I actually threw the controller, fuck you Nioh, fuck you for making me do that.

PS: I had taken a break for what seems to be like a year or some shit when I hit the Sekihagara stage.

Time to use as much invicibility frames as you can to kill one , then deal patiently with the other

xuchu

Is there a new weapon type?

No new weapon but instead each weapon has two new skills added (some of which were boss exclusive skills). Some of them have the parry input though and I'll never sacrifice my backwave/parry inputs for them. Spear and axe got some sweet new charge/grab moves and kusa has got some crazy AoE whirlwind move. Tonfa still sucks though.

xuchu

So how bad are the new missions?

3 main missions as per usual with each dlc.

1st main mission:
rehash of fighting the Sanada braves in a level ending with a rematch against Yukimura. Sarutobi Sasuke comes in halfway to help him.
disappointing that they are still reusing stuff from previous dlcs.

2nd main mission:
fighting with Masamune and Shigezane against yokai waves. Much more yokai based mission. Rather small once you know the layout though. Boss is huge bird Yokai and is quite good. Reminiscent of Centipede Shigezane, in that moveset looks quite erratic but given patience and time actually has good telegraphs and punish windows. Great boss to do ki damage to. However, I do not like the colour palette of the mission (red twilight filter) as this causes the boss to sometimes blend in with the background. Maybe it's just me though. You will come across the new enemy type which is a four handed/sword yokai that is also quite erratic at first but does have good telegraphs given time. However, it has one move that tanks the framerate and when there are more than one on screen it's horrid to fight against due to this.
Great mission but short.

3rd main mission:
Essentially, demon king revealed but in Osaka castle. Great visuals and layout. Yokai infested castle. Two mini bosses IIRC and then final boss. Quite good but again the colour palette of the boss, it's moves and background makes it hard to see and read telegraphs however, given eneough attempts time will slow down and you'll start easily seeing punish windows. Great boss to do ki damage to as well. Has a metric ton of health which was surprising but actually makes the fight better imo. Did not like that you had companion fighting alongside you for the boss. Didn't need it and causes the boss to switch targets and can't bait out moves easily as a result. Let the companion die and the fight becomes easier for me. Anti climatic in terms of story though but who cares about the story in this game.
if you liked demon king revealed, you'll like this mission.

All side missions: Gank spank and boss rush central lolololol team ninja pls.

New mode Abyss: a bloody palace mode mixed with Diablo style greater rift system. Haven't tried it yet but seems interesting.

After being disappointing with the 2nd dlc, this is much better but still has its problems.

Oh and Maria skin is 70k glory.

Tried the first mission in 2nd DLC when it came out on NG++ and it was just too much; getting killed by a single flaming arrow was enough to make me put it down. Now I'm trying again and even on standard NG+ I'm still getting killed in two hits.

I think this game may have finally worn out its welcome for me tbh

Deku Tree

Honestly I wish they had just released these three DLCs as one big DLC.

I don't want keep grinding higher difficulty settings.

I used to love Nioh, but I am feeling totally burned out on the grind for higher gear levels and better gear.

It would have been better if they only asked you to do it once, instead of asking you to grind a new difficulty level over and over with each new DLC.

It would have been more fun to play the last three DLC regions all at once in one big DLC instead of playing them briefly one at a time.

I keep wondering if Nioh would have been a better action game instead of a grindy RPG with MMO grind elements included.

xuchu

I used to love Nioh, but I am feeling totally burned out on the grind for higher gear levels and better gear.

It would have been better if they only asked you to do it once, instead of asking you to grind a new difficulty level over and over with each new DLC.

It would have been more fun to play the last three DLC regions all at once in one big DLC instead of playing them briefly one at a time.

I keep wondering if Nioh would have been a better action game instead of a grindy RPG with MMO grind elements included.

Spot on. It doesn't have enough interesting content to keep you playing for FIVE difficulty levels. It barely has enough for three. After being extremely disappointed with the introduction of ethereal gear, they have added yet another rarity tier. The mistranslations of the affixes on weapons just add to the confusion and overwhelming nature of the loot that many including the most diehard Nioh fans have come to detest.

The most unfortunate thing about the gear grind and one shot builds that have become popular and that many use is that the underlying core combat mechanics go underappreciated. People don't even ki pulse anymore, they don't even know what stance change ki flux is.

The dlc's separately are quite short but put together it's a good package. But then again they wouldn't have been able to blatantly recycle previous dlc bosses into the next one if they all came out together.

Naite

Personally I would've liked it way more if gear wasn't so customizable. I hate rerolling the same piece of gear for only slightly better stats. It feels especially annoying in nioh because they keep changing the rules of these stats with each update.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The most unfortunate thing about the gear grind and one shot builds that have become popular and that many use is that the underlying core combat mechanics go underappreciated. People don't even ki pulse anymore, they don't even know what stance change ki flux is.
What "people"? Some youtubers and a few hardcore min-maxers on GameFAQs? I really wouldn't say they represent most Nioh players...

Deku Tree

What "people"? Some youtubers and a few hardcore min-maxers on GameFAQs? I really wouldn't say they represent most Nioh players...

Well to most players who frequent gaming forums and Reddit and use Discord the most reliable way to concur the higher difficulty settings of Nioh is to copy someone like PwarGamings OP builds from YouTube.

It really feels like the higher difficulty settings are tuned for people running OP cheese builds, or alternatively for people who just never get hit and know when to punish.

When I used to use torii gate a lot on higher difficulties most of the players you encounter are running one of the OP one shot builds.

But yeah according To PSN trophies 1% of players completed all missions on WotD.

xuchu

Yeah, you're probably right. Just get irked when some people say that Nioh has little combat depth. But of course I should understand that's not the majority of Nioh players.

---------------

This dlc is pretty good. Thumbs up from me.
Izuna drop
is so good.
Much better than a regular grapple as you can follow up with an iai strike or final blow as the human enemy stays grounded.

"The special effect of "Remove Status Effects" now temporarily disables permanent status effects on bosses and strong enemies"

This sounds very important. This should be key in Way of the Nioh I would assume.

Baalzebup

The translations seem even wilder than usual, with some item name strings missing altogether. I now have a helmet named " X 0005 Cap" and got a smithing text for a kusarigama with the name ".". In the tale on Nioh section, which gives small story recaps and descriptions, the first entry for the 3rd DLC story says that Sanada Yukimura swears to defeat Yodogimi without the use of the spirit stones....

xuchu

The translations seem even wilder than usual, with some item name strings missing altogether. I now have a helmet named " X 0005 Cap" and got a smithing text for a kusarigama with the name ".". In the tale on Nioh section, which gives small story recaps and descriptions, the first entry for the 3rd DLC story says that Sanada Yukimura swears to defeat Yodogimi without the use of the spirit stones....

I had that problem including swords without a name. I changed the language from English (uk) to English (us) and it fixed it.

Twookie

the last boss on mission three on dlc is wrecking my ass

makes me so goddamn frustrated

almost had him too, but instead of executing him on the ground william just attacked over him and then the boss stood up and dashed through me into death GG

Naite

Forget my excitement for a tonfa parry. First human enemy I used it on and the enemy blocked the followup attack.

The charge attack however is great. Can safely attack enemies from specific distances while luring them in PvE, and is slightly faster than the spear version. A fully charged version does roughly about equal damage as a Devastation combo with my +25.5% devastation gunsticks.

Top Bottom