• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Off-Season 2011: Only a few more weeks until the radio talks about baseball again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjuro

Carpenter appears to be a power-armed reliever (with little movement).

I've heard he can reach the upper 90s, just needs to work on his control. Could prove to be useful in this pen with Bard in the rotation. Still, seems better than what I thought would come of this.

I've heard he can reach the upper 90s, just needs to work on his control. Could prove to be useful in this pen with Bard in the rotation. Still, seems better than what I thought would come of this.

I kept thinking a a couple AAA guys would come out of this; wasn't expecting someone from the majors

Sanjuro

I kept thinking a a couple AAA guys would come out of this; wasn't expecting someone from the majors

It's a strange deal to begin with. I don't think the Red Sox wanted to completely piss off the Cubs in terms of future dealings. We clearly could have gotten more if we hung on to him. I'm not saying this Carpenter kid is going to be the next Bard, just better than a bag o' balls.

It's a strange deal to begin with. I don't think the Red Sox wanted to completely piss off the Cubs in terms of future dealings. We clearly could have gotten more if we hung on to him. I'm not saying this Carpenter kid is going to be the next Bard, just better than a bag o' balls.

at least we finally got something; this took way too long. Any bullpen help is good right now

newjeruse

Our 40-man was full. We received a player on the 40-man. Today just happens to be first day you can transfer players to the 60-man DL to free up a roster spot. Today is the day that compensation went through. None of this stuff is coincedence; they weren't just hemming and hawing for 3 months.

Sanjuro

Our 40-man was full. We received a player on the 40-man. Today just happens to be first day you can transfer players to the 60-man DL to free up a roster spot. Today is the day that compensation went through. None of this stuff is coincedence; they weren't just hemming and hawing for 3 months.

True. However, YOU people do your best to make us believe they do!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Apparently Dan Uggla put on 20 more pounds of muscle during the offseason to add to his already popeyesque arms....I'm not seeing this as a good thing, since more than a few guys have ruined their swings by adding muscle. Not to mention loss of flexibility on the field.
Our infield defense is going to be the worst in the majors.

Sanjuro

Where are they going to place Smoak, Montero, Ackley and others! I mean he has a weak OBP last year and he suddenly moves down? I guess I'm curious to how that lineup will work.

I'm curious as well. The current answer in any scenario is probably that it won't work.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Mariners offense was beyond putrid last season. I can't blame Wedge for trying to shake things up and the easiest way to do that is to shuffle guys around the lineup. Best way to play with the hand you're dealt.

Jack Z should seriously be fired though. Guy is a total fraud.

Parch

Probably a one week experiment for the Mariners. Or at least until they have a "what was I thinking?" moment.
There is some potential in that Seattle offence. When they've been so bad, improvement should be expected.

Sharp

Speaking of things that are bizarre, did anyone check to see where Bill Smith ended up after he was fired by the Twins?

Several outlets are reporting Bobby Abreu has told the Angels he is not interested in being the DH this season. He is demanding to be traded if he isn't going to be a full time fielder.

Where the hell is Bobby Abreu going to be able to be an outfielder? His arm may still be decent, and his bat may be alright, but his range? And his inability to deal with the wall? looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

McNei1y

Where the hell is Bobby Abreu going to be able to be an outfielder? His arm may still be decent, and his bat may be alright, but his range? And his inability to deal with the wall? looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

I've seen Nats fans suggest he leads off for us and play right field. It'd be the worst defensive outfield in baseball.

Bobby Abreu is a DH.

He is factually crazy to think he can get a real outfield job unless that team is:

- in the AL and has DH time available
- can provide him with a defensive caddy for late innings

Even the Sox realistically couldn't use him in an OF of Tacoby, Crawful, and Ross/Sweeney.

McNei1y

It sounds like he's currently tasked with managing upgrades to Hammond Stadium. I'm fine with that. Keep him away from the roster, though, for the love of god.

Mdo5C.gif

I wish we could've worked out a Denard Span trade.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I wish we could've worked out a Denard Span trade.
I'm so very thankful that didn't happen. I'm less thankful that even Terry Ryan brought back Crapp$. Especially at $4.5 million. Good lord. What a terrible trade.

I guess the silver lining is that at least it helped hasten Bill Smith's firing. I'm fine with that.

I'm surprised Oswalt hasn't signed anywhere yet. I'm still holding out hope the Twins sign him. lol.

Macattk15

Yeah, just read this. Fucking terrible decision.

If they had a good replacement I could see the move being good, but to replace the great Ichiro with Chone is just insulting to the man.

Who the fuck cares about this Mariners season? Why not try to see if Figgins can resurrect his career by batting in the position he was most successful in. I've been sick of Ichiro leading off for quite a while, he doesn't take pitches, he doesn't work counts, he barely walks ... his OBP is his AVG basically.

Now don't get me wrong, I fucking hate Figgins. But if he can somehow regain SOME ability by being all warm and comfy batting lead-off then fine.

It's not like they are going to compete with the Rangers or Angels this season. So, why not? Maybe Figgins puts up some decent OBP numbers and such leading to the ability to dump his ass on someone.

I would assume the line-up will look like this ...

Figgins
Ackley
Ichiro
Carp / Wells
Montero
Smoak
Gutierrez
Olivo
Ryan

And when Figgins ultimately tanks ...

Ackley
Gutierrez / Seager
Ichiro
Carp / Wells
Montero
Smoak
Gutierrez / Seager
Olivo
Ryan

I'd be sad having Ackley lead off though .. so maybe swap him and Ichiro.

wtf, does that mean Ichiro is batting 9th?

For Chone Figgins?

:6org

Maybe you can read the post about 11 posts above the one you quoted? You'd easily see Ichiro is moving to 3rd.

I remember when the Red Sawx pitching staff was highly acclaimed. what a difference a few years of eating chicken and playing Halo makes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom