• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

That's not what a knockoff is. A knockoff is a duplication of an existing mold by a company that didn't make said mold, usually using cheaper materials so they can sell it for a much lower price than the original product. Third party original designs are not knockoffs. There are, however, knockoffs made of those third party original designs pretty regularly now, because pirates gonna pirate.

That's correct. Calling third party Transformers "knockoffs" is pretty insulting to the companies that make them.

As an aside, I think it's pretty cool that HasTak are cool with third party transformers and allow (and sometimes even support) them. It's very smart of them especially as these often complement rather than compete with the official lineups.

Mike M

Nick N
That's correct. Calling third party Transformers "knockoffs" is pretty insulting to the companies that make them.

As an aside, I think it's pretty cool that HasTak are cool with third party transformers and allow (and sometimes even support) them. It's very smart of them especially as these often complement rather than compete with the official lineups.
Are they supportive? Last I recall they were threatening to pull out of conventions that allowed dealers to carry 3rd party stuff, but that was admittedly years ago.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think that was the point.

And yeah, no idea where this idea of Hasbro being supportive of third party came from.

Hasbro isn't exactly supportive, but they don't mind third party stuff nearly as much as KO stuff. They do panels and announcements at conventions that also have third party panels and displays all the time now, and one of the Hasbro people who works with TFs told me they do indeed study the third party stuff for ideas on how to improve their own designs, so it's kind of an unofficial symbiosis at this point. As an example, MP Sunstreaker looks to have taken more than a few cues from Badcube's Sunstorm in places.

Hasbro did recently issue a C&D on an accessory for FansToys Grinder, a replacement dino head, which was just a bit too close to MP Grimlock's original dino head design, but that's the only instance I know of with a major third party group. As long as the third party companies are designing their own figures and engineering their own transformation schemes, they're not knockoffs. The most important factor has been that fans who buy third party products don't stop buying Hasbro products. If the third party stuff was replacing Hasbro merch, that would be a bigger issue, but the third party products tend to avoid things that have had official MPs made. It will be interesting to see if FansToys goes through with releasing Hoodlum (Hot Rod) in the wake of the C&D.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Lol Hasbro/Takara sure as hell don’t support 3P, it’s just not economically viable to go after them.

Officially, no, but plenty of the people who work directly on the TF brand enjoy the third party stuff, and it is entirely economically viable to go after them. They don't go after them for the same reason Marvel and DC don't shut down Artist Alley at Comic Con because artists are drawing copyrighted characters for pay. There's no upside to it, all it would do is alienate the fans.

Fact remains, third party stuff isn't the same as knockoffs, and it's ridiculous to say they are.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
On top of that, they changed the paint deco to be much flatter and eliminated the chrome. I was thinking about replacing my creaky old Carrobots versions with the Encore but not if it's going to look like that for that kind of money. Shame.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I think they're going for a more anime-accurate look but I thought the show was basically unwatchable. I was just hoping for a straight reissue of the Japanese toy.

NEO0MJ

I think they're going for a more anime-accurate look but I thought the show was basically unwatchable. I was just hoping for a straight reissue of the Japanese toy.

Probably. Encore are supposed to be more anime accurate, after all.

What's funny is that I thought BBTS had a mark-up like they often do with imported toys but nope, it's the same everywhere.

Scavenger

On top of that, they changed the paint deco to be much flatter and eliminated the chrome. I was thinking about replacing my creaky old Carrobots versions with the Encore but not if it's going to look like that for that kind of money. Shame.
Takara Tomy made the right choice. Chrome is too gaudy and sensitive to chipping.

I instantly pre-ordered it at Amazon.co.jp.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Chrome can be gaudy, but it's great on those two figures, and it's a shame they got rid of it. I've only had one TF with chrome have any chipping or wear, and that's Transmetal Rattrap. All of his chrome flaked off about 10 years ago, apparently due to a manufacturing error that affects most if not all of the first run of the figure.

Tizoc

Finally Lost Light #11 is out!
Red Alert has a mouth huh. Mouth Plates really are a decoration kind of thing heh.
Also FUCK YOU GETAWAY
FUCK YOU

Weiss

Banned
It really wasn't a good issue.
Getaway being reduced to two dimensional villainy is awful.

Also I found a complete Transmetal Optimus Primal today.

NEO0MJ

One thing I don't get is
who is rewriting their memories? I thought Chromedome was the only one who could do that on the LL and it's not something easy to learn.

Tizoc

One thing I don't get is
who is rewriting their memories? I thought Chromedome was the only one who could do that on the LL and it's not something easy to learn.
I have a theory
getaway might be working for tyrest
He was his prisoner for some months
That or his drive to finding the knights is because he thinks tyrest is where they are and he still wants to arrest him.
Also iirc sunder is still in captivity no?

Finally got my hands on one of these bad boys:

HAS24290_o.jpg

I'm sure people hate the colour but I've always wanted a good Soundwave figure and I got it pretty cheap.

Speaking of, I'm looking to go for a complete Soundwave collection. Is there a list of all the different versions? I'm also looking for a list of all his different minis (cassettes, data discs, etc.).

NEO0MJ

I have a theory
getaway might be working for tyrest
He was his prisoner for some months
That or his drive to finding the knights is because he thinks tyrest is where they are and he still wants to arrest him.
Also iirc sunder is still in captivity no?

Good ideas. But Sunder is way too crazy. There's also the matter of the chewed life cords.

Finally got my hands on one of these bad boys:

HAS24290_o.jpg

I'm sure people hate the colour but I've always wanted a good Soundwave figure and I got it pretty cheap.

Speaking of, I'm looking to go for a complete Soundwave collection. Is there a list of all the different versions? I'm also looking for a list of all his different minis (cassettes, data discs, etc.).

This should help, at least when it comes to G1.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
MMC's doing a retool of their IDW Rodimus as Nitro Convoy/Override.
Seems like Cybertron is the hot new trend in 3P, which I'm all for.
23981247628_1485d1fa64_c.jpg

Defintiely more Nitro Convoy than Override, though, which is disappointing to me.

Mike M

Nick N
I don't know if 3P renditions of Cybertron figures has any real appeal to me. The original run was pretty damn good to start with (easily my favorite line), giving it the MP treatment is some pretty significant diminishing returns compared to G1.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I don't know if 3P renditions of Cybertron figures has any real appeal to me. The original run was pretty damn good to start with (easily my favorite line), giving it the MP treatment is some pretty significant diminishing returns compared to G1.

Override is definitely a character that I think needs a good update, since her original toy isn't without problems. But yeah, it would be hard to top a lot of the line, especially Optimus Prime.

Also Cyber Keys are rad.

That was one of the more interesting things they did, switching genders. Other than Airazor (was made male in the Japanese dub) were there any other examples of this in TF media?

The only other examples I can think of are obscure characters that never really showed up in fiction, like Slide.

Mike M

Nick N
Override is definitely a character that I think needs a good update, since her original toy isn't without problems. But yeah, it would be hard to top a lot of the line, especially Optimus Prime.

Also Cyber Keys are rad.
Yeah, she's definitely near the top of the list of figures who fell short of their full potential.

All this talk of Cybertron makes me want to bust out the Cybertron Defense trio. Red Alert and Scattorshot in particular were ridiculously good toys, bursting with fun gimmicks with no trade-offs at all. Hot Shot was great too, but those guys were on a different level altogether.

Top Bottom