• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon's 'The Man in the High Castle' S2 |OT| Alt-Right History

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Based on Philip K. Dick's Hugo Award-winning 1962 alternative history novel, "The Man in the High Castle" was developed for the screen by Frank Spotnitz (The X-Files, Hunted), who is no longer attached to the show.

All 10 episodes of the series will release exclusively on Amazon Prime Instant Video on Friday, December 16.

Please spoiler tag discussion until December 30th. Also be sure to label which episode(s) you're discussing.

e.g. Ep 1:
This show isn't boring, it's alt-interesting.

After giving Joe the film, Juliana is forced to flee the fury of the Resistance while embarking on a new path to save her home from destruction. Joe confronts his absent father in Berlin, who is not as he seems. Smith wrestles with what to do about his ill son. Frank takes a gamble with his life in a bid to save Ed. Tagomi’s life is turned upside down by his “travel” to an alternative world.

Cast

• Alexa Davalos as Juliana Crain
  • Rupert Evans as Frank Frink
  • Luke Kleintank as Joe Blake
  • DJ Qualls as Ed McCarthy
  • Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Nobusuke Tagomi
  • Rufus Sewell as John Smith
  • Joel de la Fuente as Inspector Kido
  • Tate Donovan as George Dixon
  • Bella Heathcote as Nicole Becker
  • Arnold Chun as Kotomichi

uuVXkKW.jpg

Videos

Season 2 - Official Trailer
Season 2 - Official Teaser
What You Need to Know for Season 2
Season 2 - Virtual Reality Experience

Reviews

Collider said:
Season 2 adds another wrinkle to an already complex interweaving of multiple narratives, so it might be a tough task for new viewers to jump in without context. But if you take the plunge, you’ll be rewarded with a viewing experience unlike anything else on TV at the moment.

Variety said:
More often than not, Man in the High Castle doesn’t seem to know what it’s about but to its credit, it still manages to engage with its ideas in interesting, evocative ways. The show can sometimes produce moments of astonishing and quiet loveliness, even when the scope of the plot has gotten so strangely overbearing that the characters could be all Atlases, holding up the weight of the world.

Boston Globe said:
The show just doesn’t take off. The plots are overly elaborate, the supernatural element is distracting, and, worst of all, the acting isn’t very good. ... A perfect opportunity for timely, mind-bending TV squandered.

Pf0MJbM.jpg

Thanks to Makonero for the OT subtitle!

Brakke

Banned
Hmm. I thought S1 was basically bad and aimless but it had a strong aesthetic and like two characters that I was into. Those reviews in OP make it sound like S2 is similar. Feels like a soft pass.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That title haha. I'm hesitant about diving back into this one after reading the reviews. Season 1 had a lot of wasted potential.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I don't think I'll be watching unless I hear that it's a significant improvement over season 1.

It's very much more of the same. No improvements and no dips or lets ups. So far anyway, half way through here.

None of the character arcs so far has been surprising or even gripping.

thenexus6

Damn I totally forgot about this! Going to watch a̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶p̶l̶e̶ binge it today!

nOoblet16

Ok episode 2 question.

Things happened too fast but why exactly did Julianna got shot while she was having conversation with the man in high castle. And how did she end up in the captivity of these resistance people who want to kill her now because why exactly?

Makonero

Woohoo! I think this is my first OT title.

As for the show, it's definitely difficult to focus on. But I have come to like some of the characters, namely the trade minister, so I'll be continuing my binge of this this weekend.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just want to say that the thread title is fantastic.

That and that I damn well hope they cut the Joe stuffing to the bare minimum.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Really enjoyed the first season despite the two mains. Hope they can salvage them and make it interesting cause the setting and overall premise is really great as well as the supporting cast.

A+ on the thread title. Excellent work.

Looking forward to it. But what I really want is for that Obergruppenfuhrer guy to be the main character.

nOoblet16

7 episodes in so far and it feels like the story has gone nowhere since last season. Yes some developments here, some changes to the characters there but all the questions from last season are still here I think.

WedgeX

Banned
The last season was great escapism.

But now...I'm afraid it'll bring too much anxiety.

Time to jump on in regardless.

Beefy

I liked season 1 but it did get worse near the end. Hopefully this continues on the same level of the first episodes.

nomis

What's the point of Prime Video coming out in Canada just in time if the new season of this isn't up on it? 🤔

foppy79

Really need to finish season 1.

Also (in the context of the show) why does the map have modern borders when a decent amount of those countries would have never existed. Hell, some didn't by the 1960s.

Been watching it. It's much better, and less attention is given to the two rather bland main characters and more importance given to the very interesting side characters. At this point, this show has pretty much lost the few problems I had with it. Great show tbh, glad I gave it a shot.

I kept wanting S1 to reach a potential I thought it could reach, but never did. It just wasn't very interesting TV. I'm not encouraged by these reviews of S2.

is this supposed to be 4k? i see that season 1 was in 4k but i can't get this to show up in 4k.

This is in 4K but for some reason Amazon likes to have their 4K items as separate entries in their library. So there is The Man in the High Castle and The Man in the High Castle[UHD]. At least this is how it appears on the Amazon app on a Sony Android TV.

This is in 4K but for some reason Amazon likes to have their 4K items as separate entries in their library. So there is The Man in the High Castle and The Man in the High Castle[UHD]. At least this is how it appears on the Amazon app on a Sony Android TV.

yeh i just found it before i read your post.

like you said, they still haven't figured out how to post these things in their apps.

Based on the reviews it doesn't seem to fix it's problems from the first season, while still remaining to be an engaging show. I'm going to hold off until the reviews for season 3. If they tie up the loose ends and tidy up the characters a bit, then maybe I'll jump back in.

Dalek

7 episodes in so far and it feels like the story has gone nowhere since last season. Yes some developments here, some changes to the characters there but all the questions from last season are still here I think.

Shit that's disappointing to hear.

RPGCrazied

First 3 episodes watched. I like it more than season 1 so far, seams better paced.

And I will say it again, watching this as Trump is becoming President is chilling.

dpunk3

I didn't realize this show was developing a season 2, it had been a year since the first season was debuted on Prime and I heard nothing about it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't realize this show was developing a season 2, it had been a year since the first season was debuted on Prime and I heard nothing about it.

The showrunner left suddenly, I remember that making the trades. But the timeframe is pretty standard for these streaming shows. Mozart in the Jungle always comes back in December, House of Cards around February, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom