• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ |OT| 200 More Hours of Bad Keeper Runs

DrArchon

Yea, I think Stone Fatties are fine as a concept, but they're wayyy too common early in the game. They're also way too common in Greed mode.

Yeah, they're really just homing versions of the indestructible white skulls, which isn't a problem in and of itself. The problem is having to evade a big group of them, sneak your shots around them to kill minor enemies in the room, and doing that before upgrading your character at all.

Have them first pop up on floors 2 or 3 at least, but not floor 1.

DrArchon

You don't really have to evade them, they don't do damage. Just smoosh yourself between a bunch of them. You can even use them as a shield.

Oh shit. Had no idea. I never got close enough to have one touch me because I figured they'd do damage on contact. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Magwik

Banned
Okay these spiked chests can burn in hell. Sitting at one red heart and hoping for some HP out of the chest? LOL FUCK YOU.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm of two minds on this.

First off, the Antibirth mod is just an outpouring of love in a way that I've never seen before in a mod. Gorgeous new levels and art, cool enemies with great animation, really interesting bosses, just a lot of fantastic stuff. It doesn't all sync well with the Issac theme (the Mines level with mine carts feel so out of place in the world, despite the fun theme), but it totally goes for broke and succeeds in so many areas. But it also disrupts the entire flow of the game: the alternate branches feel completely separate from the main game, even though they're intertwined so that you can jump on and off the new stuff, for the most part. It doesn't feel like it's a part of Issac at all. Imagine instead if the new worlds were alternate random subworlds of the Basement/Caves/etc. It would flow a LOT better and add a ton to the base game...but the creators probably wanted people to experience their own content on its own, and given the amount of work involved, I can't blame them.

Afterbirth+ is a sub-DLC for DLC. Like others mentioned, it was simply mod tools support with some more stuff added in so that it would at least appeal to non-modders. It is, essentially, DLC born out of necessity, the complete opposite of Antibirth. If we're just talking about it in basic terms, it does add some nice extras: the new character is crazy ridiculous and actually fun to play as, and the new challenges are cool. The new path after Hush, while somewhat uninspired, does at least provide a reason to fight Hush now. It does add a nice amount of things to the base game and clears the way for mods to get crazy.

Meanwhile I see a lot of the Antibirth team going on an apology tour after they angrily talked about AB+. What a mess Antibirth has been for the official Issac devs: modding the game in this way that makes the idea for mod tools in AB+ seem unnecessary (even though they very much are, since a lot of Anti is reverse engineering), adding in new content that is quite beautifully done (in a bigger scale that Afterbirth ever was), and releasing just a week or so before AB+, and going on rants about not porting it to AB+ ever.

In six months we'll all be downloading new AB+ mods and Antibirth will be left behind because it is completely incompatible. After seeing their seething attitude towards anything outside the base game, I'm not quite as empathetic as I was before.

At least the soundtrack is super awesome.

Okay these spiked chests can burn in hell. Sitting at one red heart and hoping for some HP out of the chest? LOL FUCK YOU.

It's incredibly poor game design. Very amateur attempt to increase difficulty.

There are ways to make it work. As it is now, isn't one of those ways.

Ideas I've seen that seem like they would work:

- A visual "tell" on mimic chests before touching them. A crack in the chest, or a slightly off color.
- They only show up when holding a specific trinket or grabbing a specific item that increases the chance to find chests, or increases stats or something
- You can shoot them to show their spikes

xkramz

Lol the void is op and fun to use. I had

The void + Pandora box + charge buddy dropping crazy amount of batteries = crazy op. In the womb I had 2 boss items every 3 rooms I cleared and then cathedral an angel room for every 3 or 4 rooms I cleared.

Berordn

Thought Ed himself on twitter said they will be working to get it in the game this year sometime?

That was probably before the Antibirth team went on a tirade to burn every bridge.

Not impossible for it to happen yet but now it doesn't seem like a guarantee.

I agree with a lot of this, aside from your comment on the Stone Fatties which I really don't like and are far too common in early levels. The challenges and new character are great, as are the items by and large, but most of the new enemies, and the new bosses in particular (excluding the new final boss who I've not yet played are very weak) are very annoying and simply not that fun to play against. Greedier Mode I'm pretty lukewarm on; I never liked Greed Mode originally, and I'm uninterested in a harder version.

This is the first Isaac DLC I'm not really happy with, and when Antibirth came out so recently (which, despite not playing, is clearly feature-rich and an incredible mod that greatly adds to the game even if it may not particularly fit in) it somewhat adds to the disappointment.

Magwik

Banned
Lol the void is op and fun to use. I had

The void + Pandora box + charge buddy dropping crazy amount of batteries = crazy op. In the womb I had 2 boss items every 3 rooms I cleared and then cathedral an angel room for every 3 or 4 rooms I cleared.

The void is all fun and games until you accidentally pick up a D6 lol

Voided Glass Cannon + D8 + Kamikaze

#YOLO

Also
current list of edits: lower portal spawns and hp in ch1, lower stone fatties %, nerf vis sisters, make mimic chests have slight visual tell
cont. - fix final boss, remove blasto hell room... anything else i missed?
sorry about that blastocyst room, those were supposed to be smaller ones :| my bad (added to the list of balancing issues in the update)

Getting there

Give it some time and this may be the best DLC. A year's worth of new content, and improvements to what exists and we'll get there. The base of something great is there, just extremely rough and untested.

Bate

On my last run I encountered the stone fatties with 8 normal fatties (among them champion variants) in a normal sized and completely empty room on floor 3. They blocked the shots while the other guys went on rampage. To no surprise that was it.

In combination with the portals the stone fatties can be absolute hell. More often than not there is some kind of barrier near the portals and the stone fatties can make that barrier close to insurmountable while the portals are spawning a ridiculous amount of mobs.

J4g3r

I haven't played much Afterbirth so both it and Afterbirth+ are all new to me.

Did these two bastards come with Afterbirth+?

31984748361_9534e8e2a5_o.png

I didn't stand a chance...

They're basically Vis that have beams that cover a third of the screen and can be shot diagonally while spawning mini versions of themselves.

Little to no room on the screen at all when they're doing their double team attacks.

The amount of health they have too is insane.

Magwik

Banned

They're basically Vis that have beams that cover a third of the screen and can be shot diagonally while spawning mini versions of themselves.

Little to no room on the screen at all when they're doing their double team attacks.

Yeah they are new and absolutely awful too. Even with a powerful run they are trouble.

Thewonandonly

Question?

How do I make this run good on my Mac book pro. It runs perfectly fine until I get to bullet hell enimies then it starts to slow the hell down. Is there anyway to fix that or am I skrewed?

Mostly console gamer so I don't know a lot about pcs haha

They're new. Well... sort of. They're cut unlockable Sheol bosses from Afterbirth. And also enemies from Gish. But they were just added.

They're also being nerfed. Combined, they have more than twice as much HP as Mom. I don't think they changed much from when they were in Sheol. Which is bad.

AoM

I'm glad they're fixing/nerfing some of these things, but how did they not see these were a problem during testing...

Why would you throw a public tantrum at Nicalis when it's not their fault your stuff can't work with the mod tools?

That's not why they were throwing a tantrum. It was with regard to the quality of the DLC.

I fought four Sister Vis at once in Greedier Mode. I was lucky to make it out alive.

I'm glad they're fixing/nerfing some of these things, but how did they not see these were a problem during testing...

That's not why they were throwing a tantrum. It was with regard to the quality of the DLC.

Specifically the quality of the new final boss which, admittedly, is a huge pile of garbage. Anything that teleports directly on top of you without any kind of tell is just poor design. The idea of the boss is neat in theory, but the execution is way off IMO.

The list of fixes that Edmund mentioned just about covers all of the issues I had with AB+, with the exception of the overall lack of creativity. But I suppose they're now counting on the community to take care of that.

BTW, re: the Stone fatties, I was shocked to find out that they don't even damage you directly. They just push you around a bit and get in your way. Makes them much more tolerable and takes them off the Mount Rushmore of AB+ BS, which is probably comprised of Portals, Sister Vis,
Delirium
, and those stupid little black spiders.

Just had one of the most overpowered runs I've ever had using the new character and The Void. I got Pyromancer in the very first item room, and in a shop I purchased "Mama Mega" and absorbed it with The Void, and later got "The Battery". I literally just used it in the first room of every floor, and for the remainder of the floor almost every enemy in every room died instantly. I had some insane items by the end of the run, an extremely high damage output, full coin slots, a huge amount of health, and a very large damage output thanks to absorbing lots of items and holy shots (combined with a high luck). The seed was "R6VC 0PQ4" if anyone is interested.

Question?

How do I make this run good on my Mac book pro. It runs perfectly fine until I get to bullet hell enimies then it starts to slow the hell down. Is there anyway to fix that or am I skrewed?

Mostly console gamer so I don't know a lot about pcs haha

There's not a huge amount I can suggest but I'm playing on a MacBook Pro too and it runs pretty fine for me. Just make sure that you have the filter turned off in the options as I find it gets quite sluggish if you turn it on. Other than the I'm not too sure what to suggest so maybe somebody else has better ideas.

Meia

From McMillen's twitter:

current list of edits: lower portal spawns and hp in ch1, lower stone fatties %, nerf vis sisters, make mimic chests have slight visual tell, fix final boss, remove blasto hell room... anything else i missed?

So things will get better, which means I'll just stop playing for a little bit. Have had a lot of full, overpowered runs so far, and the above was kind of silly. Things like the portals made something like piercing damage all the more important and valuable, and the last thing an item like Brimstone needs is more positive attention. :p

dickroach

finally got an Apollyon run where The Void is kicking ass.
Guppy's Paw+Prayer Card+Garden Shears+Double Charge
as long as I've got one red heart container, every time I use the void I get 3 blue hearts without losing a red one + Garden Shears which maybe the best offensive consumable. A+

has anyone got Ms Mega yet? (I think that's what it's called) crazy item. basically an insta-clear on any floor

edit: dunno what happened with that run. the Prayer Card effects turned into a cube of meat half way through?? I was pissed when I stopped getting the red heart container out of nowhere, but beating The Chest with 3 Meat Boys was pretty tight

Magwik

Banned
as long as I've got one red heart container, every time I use the void I get 3 blue hearts without losing a red one + Garden Shears which maybe the best offensive consumable. A+

has anyone got Ms Mega yet? (I think that's what it's called) crazy item. basically an insta-clear on any floor

Ms Mega is one of my new favorite shop items. It's really fun.

zulux21

mega blast or whatever.
i got it... got into 3 floors to see things die... and then ate random pills where were telepills that ported me to the hidden error room causing me to skip mom and thus ending my run early later :p

never got to see what it would do to mom.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
it wouldn't be horrible but most of the spawners I have had spawn two things almost instantly making it a pain in the ass to even get to them.

and late game they spawn bosses out of them @_@

Yes, I would like two unexpected spawns of The Haunt in the middle of cathedral, thank you sir may I have another

Why do they spawn bosses!?

Two Haunts in the Cathedral isn't really a huge deal. He's a floor 1 boss, he doesn't really have a ton of HP. The portal caps out at 2 Haunts.

The base game had rooms with 2 Peeps, 2 Mega Fatties or like 8 Super Envy in the Cathedral. 2 Haunts seem like nothing.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Room full of rocks blocking most of the top, having to rush the portals with six little haunts swarming, and at least one champion (looked black? didn't know its effect because I beat it first) haunt is not the worst thing, no, but I'm not exactly jumping with joy at the prospect of running into that as something like The Lost in the future.

zulux21

Room full of rocks blocking most of the top, having to rush the portals with six little haunts swarming, and at least one champion (looked black? didn't know its effect because I beat it first) haunt is not the worst thing, no, but I'm not exactly jumping with joy at the prospect of running into that as something like The Lost in the future.

I had the black one as well... I think it spit out flies but i am not sure.

Akai__

If Cobalt and Richard can't fucking beat Greedier Mode, how the fuck am I supposed to do it?

Sorry, but the 2nd phase of Super Greed is something that I'd consider terrible design.

If Cobalt and Richard can't fucking beat Greedier Mode, how the fuck am I supposed to do it?

Sorry, but the 2nd phase of Super Greed is something that I'd consider terrible design.

Pyromaniac pretty much trivializes it for anyone who can use red hearts.

Not entirely sure what to do for the rest though unless you just flat out break the game.

Chronoja

Tried playing again. Nope. The game is just worse now. I'll wait for these fixes/nerfs.

My game keeps crashing on the new final boss fight, and like hell am I going through another Hush fight, guess I'll just have to sit around and hope it gets fixed. God I hate the Hush fight, the new boss isn't much better, but Hush is just so boring.

Akai__

Pyromaniac pretty much trivializes it for anyone who can use red hearts.

Not entirely sure what to do for the rest though unless you just flat out break the game.

Yeah, I have heard them saying that Pyromaniac will be an automatic win, if you get to him. But I just think that it never should come down to 1 or 2 items.

dickroach

got 6/9 checkmarks out of the way with Apollyon. still need boss rush, mega satan, and greed (all hard mode, obv)

still haven't beat greedier mode with anyone yet :( regular greed mode is so fun. edmund done fucked up

Finalow

there is a new item called Plan C,
''upon use, instantly kills every enemy in the room (bosses included I'm pretty sure), then kills Isaac 3 seconds later.''
pretty interesting.

did they even test this expansion? There is no way you test it and don't see that shit. Stone Fatties aren't a big issue to be honest but Portals definitely are.

If you find Forget Me Now, Pandora's Box or Diplopia you've basically broken the run wide open.
oh wow, I didn't know it worked with those items too. that's just broken

dickroach

there is a new item called Plan C,
''upon use, instantly kills every enemy in the room (bosses included I'm pretty sure), then kills Isaac 3 seconds later.''
pretty interesting.

that's really sweet. does it tell you what it does when you pick it up? that would suck to accidentally use unless you had 9 Lives or something

Just not an Issac expansion without arbitrary difficulty increases for absolutely no reason.

Jesus fuck, the boss TELEPORTS? Fucking hell.

Berordn

did they even test this expansion? There is no way you test it and don't see that shit. Stone Fatties aren't a big issue to be honest but Portals definitely are.

It's no excuse and I don't claim to know anything in regards to their testing setup, but I could see a bunch of playtesters well versed in Isaac gameplay not batting an eye to getting a bunch of portals on Floor 1. Part of the learning curve is throwing yourself against the wall until you get it, so I could see them just rolling with it.

But someone really should've caught just how common they are as a misstep.

dickroach

there's an achievement for holding down R and restarting like 5 or 10 times in a row.
unlocks the half-soul heart. meh. it's really not worth doing, but I stumbled upon it.

really want a Mom's Knife on the first floor run so I can run through and fuck up boss rush with apollyon

Top Bottom