• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Official Teaser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohwiseone

Also apperently, from what I have read Rian had more influence on the over-arching story than some people expect.

I know that he asked JJ to include a few flashes in that flashback scene in TFA, becuase it would connect with his movie. I also know that he wrote the story treatment for IX.

So, in all honesty, I wouldn't be shocked if this more Rian's trilogy than J.J's

Guy.brush

Mission Impossible 3 was a badass movie

I actually liked it as well. Rabbit Foot hole and all. It was probably 2009 TREK and then INTO DARKNESS and TFA that soured me on his style with the hyper active sacrificing logic on the altar of going at a breakneck pace, next set piece, next one, next one. Or maybe he is using it to cover holes and keep the brain active on a more primal level, I dunno but it doesnt work for me anymore. Sci-Fi in space needs to breathe a bit, the sheer scale of distances, planets etc just doesn't gel with the quick location hopping "Cruise running" adventure in my opinion. I want that sense of travelling in my adventure, not just cutting to the next big set piece.

So, in all honesty, I would be shocked if this more Rian's trilogy than J.J's

I mean, watching his interviews around Celebration, I was like "I know he would rather go and make his own movies after this dip in the Lucasfilm pool - but if Kathy wanted to basically hand the keys to Rian, I'd have no fucking problems with that"

People said they definitely had the sense that Abrams "got it" when it came to Star Wars, but I hear Johnson talk about what he's doing on this movie, and how he's going about doing it, and I'm just like "Man, please. Take this thing and fucking run as far as you can for as far as you want."

If your argument involves "Story committee" I'm not getting involved and I'm not interested. We're not going down that route a third time today and because of that I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your post.

The only story committee that's goes on in these films is that the directors and writers have their films and their ideas. The Lucasfilm story group tells them "okay you can or can't do this based on established canon, but here's how you write around it" or they say "here's how they work this into canon". Kathleen greenlight's projects and puts who she wants on projects, and while she has final say, that doesn't mean she's going to stop them from taking any risks. In addition to that, the only time Disney or anyone else will step in is if they're doing something that they straight up can't do. A rape scene isn't going to be in any star wars film ever. But that's common sense. That's the extent of any "story committee" and anyone jumping in with that shit can miss me entirely.

Stop making up excuses because you can't create your own arguments.

I mean, watching his interviews around Celebration, I was like "I know he would rather go and make his own movies after this dip in the Lucasfilm pool - but if Kathy wanted to basically hand the keys to Rian, I'd have no fucking problems with that"

People said they definitely had the sense that Abrams "got it" when it came to Star Wars, but I hear Johnson talk about what he's doing on this movie, and how he's going about doing it, and I'm just like "Man, please. Take this thing and fucking run as far as you can for as far as you want."

I think that's pretty much what happened and I'm entirely happy with that. Again, Rian got to write and direct Episode 8, but he also did the story treatment for 9. Which Wikipedia tells me (correct me if I'm wrong) is pretty much all the story and details. While Trevarrow is going to do his screenplay based on Rian's story work.

Ohwiseone

I actually liked it as well. Rabbit Foot hole and all. It was probably 2009 TREK and then INTO DARKNESS and TFA that soured me on his style with the hyper active sacrificing logic on the altar of going at a breakneck pace, next set piece, next one, next one. Or maybe he is using it to cover holes and keep the brain active on a more primal level, I dunno but it doesnt work for me anymore. Sci-Fi in space needs to breathe a bit, the sheer scale of distances, planets etc just doesn't gel with the quick location hopping "Cruise running" adventure in my opinion.

I do think the 15 minutes (Essentially the introduction of rey, and everything up till she meets BB-8) is one of the best parts of TFA.

In that period, you get introduced to her, You know what she is, what she does, and why she is so lonely with very little dialogue, it allows the movie to breathe.

Plus that section has gorgeous cinematography.

I actually liked it as well. Rabbit Foot hole and all. It was probably 2009 TREK and then INTO DARKNESS and TFA that soured me on his style with the hyper active sacrificing logic on the altar of going at a breakneck pace, next set piece, next one, next one. Or maybe he is using it to cover holes and keep the brain active on a more primal level, I dunno but it doesnt work for me anymore. Sci-Fi in space needs to breathe a bit, the sheer scale of distances, planets etc just doesn't gel with the quick location hopping "Cruise running" adventure in my opinion.

Wasn't really a plot hole, just your typical Maguffin thingy. An object that the writers obviously don't know what is, a thing to move the story and character drama. I'm okay with that as knowing what the RF was would have been completely irrelevant. The villain would have still wanted it and the protagonist would still be trying to get it before he does. Had they explained it, it would have been an explosive or biological weapon, not really the Ark of the Covenant or something.

Regarding his style in TFA, I thought it was a lot more matured than usual. Lots of wide shots, and tons of character moments. Hell most of the movie was great character moments and the aforementioned slower bit when it introduces Rey. It really felt like Abrams going "okay I'm doing Star Wars, time to reel it in a bit." At least to me. There's still some running and action but not to the point where I found it overwhelming or out of place.

I will say that I'm okay with JJ only doing VII. I thought he did a great job, but had he kept going some of those indulgences may have reared their heads. Though perhaps to a lesser degree as Kurtzman and Orci aren't scripting (thank fucking christ)

Plus that section has gorgeous cinematography.

It's great, and that slow section is just enough for me. My only real issue with the pace of the film is that I think there needed to be more of a buffer at the end of the second act. Once Rey gets taken, it's like no time before they're all at Starkiller.

But to be fair, kind of the same with New Hope where once they escape the Death Star they're pretty much right back at it, though that had the TIE Fighter battle beforehand. TFA could have really used that snowspeeder chase they cut, I think.

Ohwiseone

I feel like Johnsons attitude towards TLJ is like, "I am going to take this movie in some weird directions, but It's going to make this whole series so much more impactful"

I mean if you watch that interview between Daisy and Mark that GMA did, they say as much. I hope he takes this thing and does some crazy shit with it.

This is why I admire Lucasfilm/Kennedy's marketing strategy; the belief among you that these films are sole writer/director led creations as opposed to focus tested by committee commercials.

If your post is identical to Illuminati conspiracy theories then it's time to step back and rethink your position.

Wasn't really a plot hole, just your typical Maguffin thingy. An object that the writers obviously don't know what is, a thing to move the story and character drama. I'm okay with that as knowing what the RF was would have been completely irrelevant. The villain would have still wanted it and the protagonist would still be trying to get it before he does. Had they explained it, it would have been an explosive or biological weapon, not really the Ark of the Covenant or something.

Regarding his style in TFA, I thought it was a lot more matured than usual. Lots of wide shots, and tons of character moments. Hell most of the movie was great character moments and the aforementioned slower bit when it introduces Rey. It really felt like Abrams going "okay I'm doing Star Wars, time to reel it in a bit." At least to me. There's still some running and action but not to the point where I found it overwhelming or out of place.

Agreed on the latter. I admit to being something of an amateur when it comes to critical analysis of film as an art form, but a lot of TFA seems like a careful effort to stick to the basics and do them well. Something I noticed on first watching the film is how long even some minor cuts are, with the camera simply shifting along to follow the action. It just lets you follow almost everything so cleanly.

Guy.brush

I will say that I'm okay with JJ only doing VII. I thought he did a great job, but had he kept going some of those indulgences may have reared their heads. Though perhaps to a lesser degree as Kurtzman and Orci aren't scripting (thank fucking christ)

Oh for sure he reeled it in. No shock zooms, less to almost no flares for cutting points, slower editing frequency, etc.
But he still did the near instant planet hopping.

• Han solo arriving 1 minute after Rey discovers the Falcon
  • Leia and troopers arriving 2 minutes after they got the call from inside the Pirate castle cantina, etc.
  • Snoke immediately discussing the details about which droids to find and where.
  • The "through hyperspace" Starkiller base shots that reach everything and can be seen from everywhere instantly. etc.
  • the random "here are 5 planets that we now blow up" scene
It all feels so compressed.
I really hope for either VIII or XI to be more of a ESB chase movie, travelling to this one final location with lots of smaller hurdles to get there vs. this gallery of planet hopping.
It just makes the galaxy feel so small.

Ohwiseone

It's great, and that slow section is just enough for me. My only real issue with the pace of the film is that I think there needed to be more of a buffer at the end of the second act. Once Rey gets taken, it's like no time before they're all at Starkiller.

But to be fair, kind of the same with New Hope where once they escape the Death Star they're pretty much right back at it, though that had the TIE Fighter battle beforehand. TFA could have really used that snowspeeder chase they cut, I think.

I agree, I watched TFA recently, and I feel like the last two acts are exhausting because it goes so fast.

I understand that Abrams was probably trying to shove as much world-building he could and not make the movie like 2 and a half hours, but it doesn't really stop, until she is walking up the steps at the very end.

I mean if you watch that interview between Daisy and Mark that GMA did, they say as much. I hope he takes this thing and does some crazy shit with it.

Kasdan said a while back that Rian was making something weird. By that I think they just mean that it's going to do some things differently with some unexpected turns, such as Luke saying the Jedi should end. Or how the movie will start right where VII left off, which is a first in the episodes.

I don't think it's going to be some batshit insane thing. Some will inevitably be turned off once they, like with the Jedi in the prequels, find out that Luke is a lot different than expected, or the tone could be off-putting that likes the familiarity-- but then again Empire was a much different movie than New Hope and most people seem to like that one just a bit.

This mess is why actors aren't usually allowed to be so candid. Everyone reads these things as a negative and have kneejerk reactions and start worrying about everything even upon clarification that it was an initial reaction and not how they still feel.

Oh for sure he reeled it in. No shock zooms, less to almost no flares for cutting points, slower editing frequency, etc.

I would argue that most of those things made sense though. There is hyperspace travel, and it was a while before Leia got there. Han had been tracking the Falcon and was able to locate it after they left Jakku.

Regarding Starkiller blowing up the planets and people being able to see it, I just took it that Takodana was near-ish to Starkiller base. It is a stretch and I get the argument, but it's one of those things that I don't really concern myself with too much.

sphagnum

Banned
Also apperently, from what I have read Rian had more influence on the over-arching story than some people expect.

He's also responsible for the political situation in the novel Bloodline, where he gave Claudia Gray details about things he wanted included, like the Centrist/Populist political parties and the "napkin bombing" (which is a bizarre thing for him to have come up with since I can't see how it connects to VIII).

Really liked the the teaser even though it didn't feel 100% like a 'Star Wars Movie'

I think that's going to help this one, at least to some people. There's been a year and a half now of "VII was the same shit!" Granted not from the majority by any means, but definitely during very precious online discussion which is the only discussion that matters.

It looks like Star Wars to me but with a bit of a different tone. The speeders over Crait for example with the red soil being kicked up at the AT's (presumably) in the distance was 100% Star Wars, among most other shots. Shots like the rocks hanging in limbo around Rey's hand is a bit of a different kind of visual touch but one that makes sense and is neatly representative of the Force.

So I don't think it looks super different or something, not yet, just a bit of fresh air comparatively to the last seven.

Ohwiseone

He's also responsible for the political situation in the novel Bloodline, where he gave Claudia Gray details about things he wanted included, like the Centrist/Populist political parties and the "napkin bombing" (which is a bizarre thing for him to have come up with since I can't see how it connects to VIII).

I really need to read that book. Especially if there are some connections into VIII. (I also really liked Lost Stars.. so)

It looks like Star Wars to me but with a bit of a different tone. The speeders over Crait for example with the red soil being kicked up at the AT's (presumably) in the distance was 100% Star Wars, among most other shots. Shots like the rocks hanging in limbo around Rey's hand is a bit of a different kind of visual touch but one that makes sense and is neatly representative of the Force.

That is what I noticed, it was Star Wars, with Rian Johnson Visual Flair. It looked like something out of Looper in all honesty, just the way it was lit and how they were designed

Writing on napkins and now books. Rian breaking new ground already ;)

If your argument involves "Story committee" I'm not getting involved and I'm not interested. We're not going down that route a third time today and because of that I'm not going to bother reading the rest of your post.

The only story committee that's goes on in these films is that the directors and writers have their films and their ideas. The Lucasfilm story group tells them "okay you can or can't do this based on established canon, but here's how you write around it" or they say "here's how they work this into canon". Kathleen greenlight's projects and puts who she wants on projects, and while she has final say, that doesn't mean she's going to stop them from taking any risks. In addition to that, the only time Disney or anyone else will step in is if they're doing something that they straight up can't do. A rape scene isn't going to be in any star wars film ever. But that's common sense. That's the extent of any "story committee" and anyone jumping in with that shit can miss me entirely.

Stop making up excuses because you can't create your own arguments.

I couldn't think of the name, but that is what I'm referencing.

From reading the making of the TFA book and other quotes, it seemed to me like they had a decent idea of some of the places they wanted things to go from the beginning, and modify things as the directors/writers come aboard and pitch new ideas, but it still felt like there were preplanned bits they are aiming for.

Ultimately where we differ it seems is the level of risk they are willing to take creatively...But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and we see a true willingness to go in a new direction.

Boem

I kind of want them to just fully go for it and get Snoke ranting about literally wanting to 'make the galaxy great again'.

Yes, it's terrible writing, it's way too on the nose and being so blatant makes for a terrible political analogy, and it wouldn't fit at all with anything else going on except the fact that there's an evil Empire, but man I want to see the fallout from that. The internet rants will be something else.

Guy.brush

There is hyperspace travel, and it was a while before Leia got there. Han had been tracking the Falcon and was able to locate it after they left Jakku.

How long were they at Maz's castle and when was the call made? There were no scenes of them going to sleep in rented chambers or anything. It all felt like it was in the space of maybe 1 hour?
It just feels way too fast to me. Han being so enstranged with his wife. It would have taken like what? 10 minutes travel time to talk to her?

In the OT you got the sense it took quite a while to get to new systems. See Falcon from Tatooine to Alderaan for example. Or Luke to Dagobah. It should at least take hours if not days to get to the next system.
Otherwise the whole idea of there being rich worlds and poor worlds and people still staying on shit hole planets like Tatooine or the rebels being able to have a base on a "remote" planet is pretty laughable.

Not saying this is solely TFA's fault though. PT also had lots of planet hopping. But at least Lucas often used parallel plot lines to cut back and forth from to suggest the passing of time.

sphagnum

Banned
I really need to read that book. Especially if there are some connections into VIII. (I also really liked Lost Stars.. so)

That is what I notice, it was Star Wars, with Rian Johnson Visual Flair. It looked like something out of Looper in all honesty, just the way it was lit and how they were designed

There's some speculation (not spoilers) that there might be some tension in the Resistance because of the different political views that Rian came up with, but we don't have any kind of confirmation of that. But even if politics don't really come up in VIII, it's good to see that he's thinking of the larger view of the franchise.

I have Lost Stars arriving tomorrow, can't wait to dig in as I'm also juggling Rebels.

I do think Rian is going to end up having the most story influence on this trilogy as he wrote both VIII and the story for IX and directed VIII. I mean that's the largest chunk of it.

Davide

I know that he asked JJ to include a few flashes in that flashback scene in TFA, becuase it would connect with his movie. I also know that he wrote the story treatment for IX.

So, in all honesty, I wouldn't be shocked if this more Rian's trilogy than J.J's

I wonder if Balance in the Force made it into VII because of him.

How long were they at Maz's castle and when was the call made?

Not too long, but we did get the scenes of Rey going into the basement, the scene with the lightsaber, and her running off into the woods. So I didn't think it felt too instantaneous. And it was a bit after the First Order arrived that the Resistance did, and even longer for Leia to arrive. That is about as enough as the material between Tatooine and Alderaan IMO

sphagnum

Banned
I have Lost Stars arriving tomorrow, can't wait to dig in as I'm also juggling Rebels.

I do think Rian is going to end up having the most story influence on this trilogy as he wrote both VIII and the story for IX and directed VIII. I mean that's the largest chunk of it.

FYI there's also a Lost Stars manga adaptation coming.

3.jpg

I think that's going to help this one, at least to some people. There's been a year and a half now of "VII was the same shit!" Granted not from the majority by any means, but definitely during very precious online discussion which is the only discussion that matters.

So I don't think it looks super different or something, not yet, just a bit of fresh air comparatively to the last seven.

This is a good thing I reckon

Surfinn

Not gunna lie, been wondering why you haven't popped up lol.

I needed to sit down at a computer to respond to like three different posts at once and got busy yesterday (opposed to responding to normal stuff on my phone). I wouldn't read too much into it. People in these threads know I don't ignore convos. If my next response takes as long, I apologize. But I will respond.

My point is, whether or not he makes miniscule changes, he's still following the same fundamental teachings of the Jedi, and his order wouldn't be varrying too far from those fundamental teachings. Because at the end of the day, every Jedi is a little different. Qui Gon's beliefs are different from Obi Wan's beliefs which differ from Yoda's beliefs which differ from Plo Kloon's beliefs which differ from Anakin's beliefs.

All of these characters are Jedi, and all of them have a slightly different understanding of what it means to be a Jedi, but fundamentally it all stems from the same teachings. Luke is exactly the same, and while a Jedi masters personal feelings and ideals are sometimes passed down to their padawan what they teach them are the fundamentals and they're free to do things from there however they like as long as it doesn't go against these fundamentals.

So what I'm saying is, Luke was never nearly as different from any other Jedi as you imply, and if anything Luke is far more simple and pure hearted than most if not all of the republic Jedi.
If you watch the clone wars then watch the OT there's a very strong contrast in character from Luke to all of the other Jedi, and its because he's pure hearted and fairly simple, as a character that's what he was designed to, be the ultimate do gooder and if you want to put a religious spin on it: He's the ideal church boy.
Again, sure he may do things slightly differently but at the end of the day, he's not that much different than the others and if anything is a lot closer to being a clean cut Jedi than many of those in the republic ever were.

and I know you mean to say that 'Well because he force choked people and didn't kill Vader he's different!" and again he is different, but if anything, not killing Vader is because the character is pure of heart and a force of good whereas force choking and killing wasn't established in the series as something bad when that film was made.

Yeah you're seriously.. seriously understating the significance of Luke's decision to defy Yoda/Obi and not only disobey their advice and wisdom, but do something basically impossible -- defeat Vader and restore Anakin.

That's what separates Luke from Jedi who came before him. He was able to properly harness his emotions and use them to basically do the impossible.

I'm not really sure why you're glazing over it.. your willingness to try and put Luke in the same category as PT Jedi is really bizarre to me when this is clearly not what was established in the OT (regardless of what comes after in the PT, it's already established that he's going against the norm in the OT.. things that you can infer Jedi before did not do). He is he hero that defies the norm to succeed against seemingly insurmountable odds. And we're not just talking about physical tasks.

Like.. that's the POINT of Luke. That he's not just some typical "church boy" Jedi.

I.. dunno. Agree to disagree here. Big time

No, I understand that she knew who he was prior, but its the fact that she's strong enough in the force to be able to know who it was. Now realize that Leia is fairly weak in the force in the grand scheme of things as far as I know, but I do know that Luke is far stronger in the force. So my point is, if Leia, a fairly weak force user can do that why wouldn't Luke, one of the strongest force users be able to take that to an entirely different level.

"Leia was aware of the influence Snoke could have on her son" is vague as hell. We have no idea what that entails because we have no backstory. And I'm not sure where in the canon it says "Leia is a weaker force user than Luke", cuz I'm not aware of that. One of the best things about the OT is that it doesn't make these kind of meaningless comparisons (WHO'S THE MOST POWERFUL OF THEM ALL.. OH MY GOD HIS MIDIS ARE HIGHER THAN YODAS!!) and I think they will continue to stray from them in the future. For all we know Leia is as poweful as Luke.. she just never trained to become a Jedi. Her destiny lies along a different path.

It's just a meaningless conversation to have (force power comparisons) and one of the greatest mistakes of the PT.

It was in retaliation to the argument that Leia couldn't sense people through the force because she couldn't do it in the original trilogy.

She felt the dark side creeping around her. She's force sensitive. I think her sensing this is more a testament to how wise and knowledgeable Snoke is with the force.

Prior to the prequel Retcons, there's nothing to indicate that Obi Wan knew that Luke and Leia were twins. It wouldn't make sense anyway considering that Luke and Leia were never written as twins in A New Hope, that came in the Empire Strikes back. It also was a retcon. So with that in mind, Obi Wan couldn't have known they were twins and thus couldn't have informed Yoda. Yoda would have had to figure it out on his own.

But.. that changed in the PT. As much as a hate the prequels, they filled in a lot of that backstory. Are we supposed to ignore that? It's never explicitly stated in the OT HOW he knows about Leia. I mean the emperor sensed LUKE, but not (in the films) Leia, because Luke was the one who was doing powerful shit in the force. So it's entirely possible, even if you ignore the PT completely (not sure why we would do this) that Yoda knew with separate information about Leia, by name and specifically who she was.

At this point in time, I think its a fair assumption to say that Luke is more powerful than the emperor and Vader. That's usually how these stories go, the hero defeats the great evil and many years later, through continued training he learns that his powers have grown far past his original adversaries. It's a trope. Luke has also been studying the ways of the ancient Jedi and the force, this is established in The Last Jedi. So with that in mind if Palpatine can do it and Yoda can do it, and Luke has surprassed both of them why wouldn't Luke be able to do it? He wouldn't need to know where they are, but he would know that they do exist and in the act of knowing that they do exist he could use the force and locate them. Locating someone as a powerful force user isn't too difficult of a task.

And again, Leia is force sensitive, Luke and Leia share a connection through the force because they're related and are of the same bloodline. If Rey were of that same bloodline, Leia should be able to feel some connection from her simply because of that. But that's not present.

Yoda had been around 900 or so years and trained Jedi for a lot of them. I'm not sure how old the emperor is (or if that's even canon), but I always assumed they were the most experienced force users in the galaxy because of their abilities displayed on screen and established positions/reputations in films. Not like WOW SO MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN LUKE but judging by contextual/expository clues, it seems like they were placed in another category altogether. Like their wisdom was unmatched. But that's my interpretation. I have no idea what Luke's abilities are like now.

Like, for example, Yoda is clearly in another category than Obi-Wan in the OT. It's established in the films. Yoda taught Ben. Yoda is 900 and has taught Jedi for like ever.

I always assumed Luke would be in a similar position (Ben's position) but with much greater importance, because of his successes in the OT. He was the hero.

That's because at the time, Vader didn't have a son. Anakin Skywalker did, and in A New Hope, Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker were two different entities, and I don't mean in an idealogical sense. They were quite literally two different people. Obi Wan didn't lie to Luke about his father, and his aunt and his uncle wasn't foreshadowing when he said (paraphrasing) that Luke has too much of his father in him. It was changed in the Empire Strikes back and was a plot twist that no one expected because that's not what was originally planned when A New Hope was made. Anakin was everything Obi Wan said he was and Vader did have no children. It was all retconned in later when the story direction changed in ESB

That all doesn't really matter because Vader STILL hadn't sensed Luke in ESB, where we learn he is Luke's father. He is taken aback by the emperor's news that Anakin has a son (he (Vader) has a son). He had no idea. The emperor sensed this via force visions as a result of the destruction of the death star, and Vader did not.

Unless you really wanna go into "but now in the NEW trilogy things are different. But really that's a rabbit hole I have no intention of venturing into.

It's not just about discovering the identity, its about knowing of the existence. Which was your argument, that it's possible that Luke might not have known of the existence of Rey, to which I disagree. From there, he would have tried to find out her identity or contact her in some way, apparently the force extends to psychic contacting across great distances. Arguably a powerful force user could get into a weak mind from across great distances and see their thoughts and memories as Kylo Ren does to Rey in TFA. From there he could probably figure out her identity, or at least where to look for her in finding someone else. It's not like there isn't super advanced tech that's never been utilized for that specific purpose in star wars. That's like half of all clone wars episodes right there. But a half of that is uncharted territory and theoretical.

Again, Vader had no idea Luke was in existence in ESB. The force has not yet had a major shift, or awakening, so there's no real reason why Luke would simply be able to "sense" that she had been born. We don't yet know how or why Rey had a vision of the island and ocean.. if Luke "sent" it to her or if the force brought it to her. I'm thinking the latter makes much more sense. Through her natural abilities, she was able to see things through the force that others could not.

Again, there has been no compelling reason established yet why Luke would suddenly "sense" her in a time before she had triggered the awakening, or disturbance in the force, causing powerful force users to sense her actions and possibly even her existence.

I've no doubt Luke felt the awakening. Maybe his reaction has to do with knowing there was an awakening and realizing in that moment that she's his fucking daughter. For all we know, her learned of her existence THROUGH the awakening (but didn't know of her identity as his daughter until he saw her in person or sensed her presence) and doesn't want to tell her yet for reasons that may or may not be explained in TLJ.

Which easily explains why she was not trained with Luke (he did not know of her existence until the awakening). Maybe he still doesn't. Maybe he just sensed the awakening and as an inclination that there may be another hero out there, waiting to do what he did in the OT.

Time will tell.

While your powers may be dormant, but the force is not. Using the title in your argument can get messy. Simply because, Kylo Ren has been using the force for years actively, meaning it can't be dormant, and apparently so has Snoke. On top of that, Rey was at least 13 by the time Luke's academy was destroyed, I don't have a quote for this but it was brought up earlier in the thread. So that means for the first 13 years of Rey's life there were other force users. Apparently she's 19 in TFA? which means its been 6 years from the destruction of the academy to the events of TFA/TLJ so the force didn't just awaken in general. It awoke inside her specifically, and even then it's not really that the force awoke inside her, it's that she was able to unlock her powers once she realized they were there and I'd argue that while you always have that potential inside you if you're force sensitive, it takes something to bring that out of you. Kind of like how in X-Men you're born with the mutant gene, but it takes something, often some kind of traumatic event for it to activate. Maybe in star wars, in addition to that it takes coming into contact with a force user.

But even then, we also don't know if Rey has never used the force before, maybe she has unwittingly. Maybe Rey's parents are kind of shit bags and she showed signs of being a force sensitive as a child, and because of that they ditched her because they were afraid of what the empire would do to them because of it.

I think you missed my edit. The Force Awakens doesn't mean "the force wasn't used until now", it just means, IMO, that there was another disturbance or huge event that tore through the force, like when Luke destroyed the death star. Rey caused the force to awaken, but that doesn't mean that it just pertains to HER. Her actions have had a rippling effect across the entire force itself.

She just knocked down the first domino.

JB1981

• Han solo arriving 1 minute after Rey discovers the Falcon
  • Leia and troopers arriving 2 minutes after they got the call from inside the Pirate castle cantina, etc.
  • Snoke immediately discussing the details about which droids to find and where.
  • The "through hyperspace" Starkiller base shots that reach everything and can be seen from everywhere instantly. etc.
  • the random "here are 5 planets that we now blow up" scene
It all feels so compressed.
I really hope for either VIII or XI to be more of a ESB chase movie, travelling to this one final location with lots of smaller hurdles to get there vs. this gallery of planet hopping.
It just makes the galaxy feel so small.

There is a big issue with continuity and passage of time where Rey saves BB8 and seemingly overnight Poe and Finn are shot down over Jakku. The next time we see Rey she is bringing her haul to Unkar Plutt where she mentions "last week" that her shares were a half portion each. Her saying "last week" suggests that a good amount of time has passed and this being true would make it more believable that she would grow an attachment to BB8 because of the time they had to bond. The most frustrating aspect of TFA is the lack of downtime. I think JJ has ADD

I couldn't think of the name, but that is what I'm referencing.

From reading the making of the TFA book and other quotes, it seemed to me like they had a decent idea of some of the places they wanted things to go from the beginning, and modify things as the directors/writers come aboard and pitch new ideas, but it still felt like there were preplanned bits they are aiming for.

Ultimately where we differ it seems is the level of risk they are willing to take creatively...But like I said, I hope I'm wrong and we see a true willingness to go in a new direction.

Alright fine, I'll give you this in that you're not trying to argue that Disney executives are some controlling corprate force that will or wont allow Lucasfilm to make what they want because money, we've had that discussion numerous times today with people using the terms comittee and story comittee. Which we've already established isn't true.

So going from there, from what I've read about production and heard from panels, interviews etc.

Each film maker gets to tell the story that they want to. This isn't up to anyone else but them. The Force Awakens was made by JJ Abrams and Kasdan. Starkiller base resembles the death star because that's what they wrote and wanted. No one stopped them from taking bigger risks in the star wars universe, that was entirely their choice, and while they could have had something better than Death Star 3.0, I think starting off the trilogy that way is a good way to get people back into and interested in Star Wars again, so it served its purpose, it got people interested, it introduced new characters, and most people like it.

Moving on from there, while Kasdan and JJ Abrams might have some input and suggestions on where the next film goes, its not up to them. JJ right now is only involved in episode 8 as a producer, he has little to no creative part of Episode 8, neither does Kasdan as he's working on the Han Solo film. So just about everything in Episode 8 is the way Rian Johnson wants it, as he's both the sole writer and director of the film. That's not to say he has absolute control over every single aspect, but lets say its about 85%-90%.

There isn't any set direction for this trilogy to follow, and the films content aren't dictated by extended universe content, its the other way around. The films will dictate what happens in the extended universe content, so the films have more room to breathe and extended universe is there to compliment the films and the universe rather than congest it, which is why the old EU was thrown out. There was no where to go and no room to breathe. The lucasfilm story group works with the directors on how the Star Wars universe goes forward, the directors have far more say than the story group, but it's still a collaberative effort and again, the only authority that the lucasfilm story group has, is to say "You can't do that because it would contradict currently established canon" or "Okay so, you want to do this, we'll give you room in the extended universe to make sure no one is working on something similar so there's no overlap or contradiction". That's pretty much it.

From there, of course Kathleen Kennedy will oversee all projects, she decides what gets greenlit, she decides who she wants directing the films and of course she's watching over to make sure everything fits together and goes smoothy. She's pretty hands off, and if I recall correctly, she specifically called Episode 8 "Rians vision" or something along those lines. That means that episode 8, its direction and its content for the most part is entirely up to Rian, in the same way that Episode 7's content was entirely up to JJ and Kasdan and its pretty clear that Kathleen herself is entirely okay with the hands off approach, that in particular was something I think was brought up during TLJ panel. But the most important part of this is that this film will be his vision and its up to him to create the future of Star Wars and its direction.

Taking that into account, also know that Rian wrote the story for Episode 9. Which means that this trilogy is pretty much Rian's trilogy and that he has near complete control over Star Wars' future. If they didn't trust him to do that job then he wouldn't have it at all. But unless Rian wants to start putting rape scenes and things like disembowelment into Star Wars then he's got the keys to do whatever he wants. Colin Trevarrow doesn't have to follow what Rian wants and he's free to change what he likes, he has the final say on episode 9 because it'll be his film and if he wants to do that, no one is going to stop him as long as it fits with everything else.

Now on whether or not Rian will actually do that: It's been stated that Episode 8 is a very different star wars film and that Rian is doing a lot of new things. If they didn't trust him and if he wasn't able to work freely you wouldn't be hearing these things at all. But if anything these films are more director friendly than things like Marvel films and its entirely up to Rian how far he wants to take his ideas and concepts, and the future of this franchise rests in his hands.

there isn't any preset story and no one is going to step in unless they have to.

There is a big issue with continuity and passage of time where Rey saves BB8 and seemingly overnight Poe and Finn are shot down over Jakku. The next time we see Rey she is bringing her haul to Unkar Plutt where she mentions "last week" that her shares were a half portion each. Her saying "last week" suggests that a good amount of time has passed and this being true would make it more believable that she would grow an attachment to BB8 because of the time they had to bond. The most frustrating aspect of TFA is the lack of downtime. I think JJ has ADD

BB-8 was wandering Jakku after it saw Poe's fighter explode, thinking Poe was dead. BB-8 got picked up by Teedo shortly after who wanders and scavenges for parts to sell.

Then Poe and Finn escape the First Order, which is in the atmosphere above Jakku as they're looking for BB-8, so it makes sense for them to crash "overnight." They're still there above the planet and Finn was freaked about the village assault and wanted to get the hell outta there.

It moves fast but I don't think there's any broken logic in the time passage. I mean it's kind of like complaining about A New Hope happening in one day. Luke met Obi-Wan, went through the Death Star events, and blew the thing up with Force powers in like a day or two lol

-griffy-

Banned

I took that bit to mean that the shares she received last week for similar items were a half portion each, not that she was talking about the stuff we saw her turn in earlier in the film.

I took that bit to mean that the shares she received last week for similar items were a half portion each, not that she was talking about the stuff we saw her turn in earlier in the film.

Yeah, it was the same stuff she had just salvaged from the intro. The last week thing was... a week before that.

No. I really wanted to be but TFA gets worse with each rewatch, I won't go into details as this isn't the thread for it but overall a dickless retread of A New Hope which they still couldn't do properly.

Rogue One is similar, I wanted to really like it and the only redeeming qualities were the small glimpses into the Empire. Rest was forgettable garbage.

I don't hold it against the filmmakers however, I understand the driving factor behind them and applaud Kennedy's business acumen thus far.

The more I watch TFA, the more I realize it really was the ultimate tool created by JJ to get the fans back. It's ANH, ESB and RotJ all in one film. It's like Lucasfilm is saying "here's the perfect Star Wars film, let's get it out of the way so we can move on to new ideas". Also, Rey/Poe/Finn are all parts of Luke and Han, split between the three. Film doesn't even have the same beats as ANH lol.

The more I watch TFA, the more I realize it really was the ultimate tool created by JJ to get the fans back. It's ANH, ESB and RotJ all in one film. It's like Lucasfilm is saying "here's the perfect Star Wars film, let's get it out of the way so we can move on to new ideas". Also, Rey/Poe/Finn are all parts of Luke and Han, split between the three. Film doesn't even have the same beats as ANH lol.
But there's a planet destroying planet at the end so it's all the same.

sphagnum

Banned

where's the politics

TFA had new ideas.

I mean, I get where this is coming from, I do. But it wasn't vacant of ideas or artistically lacking. It still established a great deal of new things and the story is different. Character arcs are different. The ending and what it sets up for is a lot different.

I'm going to ask a serious (lol) question:

How is TFA like ESB or ROTJ? The ANH similarities, I can roll with some of them but if you motherfuckers tell me TFA is like ESB because they both have snow planets or that they're similar because Takodana and Endor have trees I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom