• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official E-Cigarette Thread Of F#ck Analog Cigarettes

Well, apparently I've now quit the ecig... and I wasn't even really trying.

Annoying part is that I just spent £70 on various bits and pieces. Meh.

Also moving this post to the new page:

ReaperXL07 said:
So i'm going to bump this thread because I don't really want to make a new one when there is an OT for it. I have been heavily considering trying these things, but I have a few questions before I pony up the dough on them.

The first is if anyone has had any issues with i guess i'll call it brand compatibility. What I mean by this is that I personally now smoke Marlboro medium 100's, have for about 10 years now. I have always had a hard time going for a cheaper brand, or just a different brand because i'm so used to the way mediums taste, and very few other brands carry a medium label, not even sure why I latched onto the style specifically, but i've always found reds too much, and lights too little.

The second is that my plan is to try and use this to help me quit, I've been trying to push myself to quit and i've gotten to a point where I can usually not smoke at home. where the craving hits me most is during social gatherings where drinking is involved, driving, and at work. So are E-Cigs a good way to help myself quit, or are they ment as more of a replacement.

And last for now is has anyone had any personal health issues with these? It's tough looking for information on this topic because most of it is bogged down with alot of what I assume is political garbage, and miss information.

If anyone can answer any of these question it would be much appreciated.

Taste, you'll basically have to try a bunch of different juices. Though a lot of people eventually move off tobacco and onto fruit / mint flavours (because really, Tobacco aint all that)

Quitting, yes, I just did it. It works just as well as a replacement though (you can even switch to zero nicotine like I did).

Health, nothing so far. You can never say anything for sure, though it's worth mentioning that PG has been used in a ton of things for quite some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propylene_glycol#Safety

Rainy Dog

I'm now at over 2 months without a real cig after picking up a Riva 510 in mid September. Cheers to all in this thread and a special nod to Psychotext for his heads up on Liberty Flights.

After smoking roll ups for the past 15 years, it took me a couple of weeks of cutting back on the rollies one at a time, day by day. But as soon as I ran out of my last pouch of baccy and made the full transition to the Riva, I haven't looked back.

Can't recommend these things enough. Anyone else thinking about trying one, stop thinking and just do it!

surly

Banned
I smoked my last real cigarette on May 31st after smoking for about 25 years.

My first e-cig was a Titan 510 that came with some tobacco flavoured juice, but it was fucking horrible. I tried to use it for a couple of days, but I just couldn't stomach it so it got thrown in a drawer. A few weeks later, a friend of mine bought one to try it and he bought some menthol flavoured juice for his and I tried it and really liked it. That was the turning point for me. I guess cos I was such a n00b I didn't even consider that there were loads of different flavours and strengths of juice, but once I found the one I liked that was it.

I'm now using a Screwdriver with a Tornado tank atomiser. It's quite big and weighty compared to the Titan, but the battery lasts at least a whole day and the cartridge holds a few ml of juice, so you're not constantly drip feeding it like you are with the Titan.

I've worked my way down to the lowest strength menthol juice - 8mg of nicotine. Next time I buy some I'm going to go for the 0mg stuff to see if I can start to wean myself off it altogether.

I must have saved a fortune in the last 6 months, cos at 20 cigs a day it was costing me over £40 a week. I bought a 500ml bottle of juice for £80 5 months ago and there's still quite a bit left.

I'd tried multiple times to give up smoking and always failed. While I do hate not having the willpower to go cold turkey and kick the habit, this is a better alternative than smoking and I've had no cravings for tobacco whatsoever, even when I've had a few drinks. It's much cheaper, and my health is noticeably improved. I would recommend that any smoker give it a try, cos I will never go back to smoking tobacco again.

I smoked my last real cigarette on May 31st after smoking for about 25 years.

My first e-cig was a Titan 510 that came with some tobacco flavoured juice, but it was fucking horrible. I tried to use it for a couple of days, but I just couldn't stomach it so it got thrown in a drawer. A few weeks later, a friend of mine bought one to try it and he bought some menthol flavoured juice for his and I tried it and really liked it. That was the turning point for me. I guess cos I was such a n00b I didn't even consider that there were loads of different flavours and strengths of juice, but once I found the one I liked that was it.

I'm now using a Screwdriver with a Tornado tank atomiser. It's quite big and weighty compared to the Titan, but the battery lasts at least a whole day and the cartridge holds a few ml of juice, so you're not constantly drip feeding it like you are with the Titan.

I've worked my way down to the lowest strength menthol juice - 8mg of nicotine. Next time I buy some I'm going to go for the 0mg stuff to see if I can start to wean myself off it altogether.

I must have saved a fortune in the last 6 months, cos at 20 cigs a day it was costing me over £40 a week. I bought a 500ml bottle of juice for £80 5 months ago and there's still quite a bit left.

I'd tried multiple times to give up smoking and always failed. While I do hate not having the willpower to go cold turkey and kick the habit, this is a better alternative than smoking and I've had no cravings for tobacco whatsoever, even when I've had a few drinks. It's much cheaper, and my health is noticeably improved. I would recommend that any smoker give it a try, cos I will never go back to smoking tobacco again.

I find these posts so encouraging. Once Christmas is in the past again I'mma have to give these e-cigs a try.

Animator

What is the verdict on NV e-cigs?

They are selling them at the london drugs here in canada and I am thinking about getting the starter pack in hopes of quitting smoking.

TCRS

Banned
What a coincidence that this thread popped up, because I'm thinking of buying an e-cig as well. I am in fact looking at one right now (510 Titan Tank) and waiting for the price to drop (something called YoYo Discount, see for yerself: http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co...tan-tank-e-nic-compact-starter-2-product.html )

I'm not even a heavy smoker, I only smoked like three cigs a day but I smoked indoors in front of TV/Computer (I hate smoking outside) and that was stinking stuff up. Giving up altogether is probably easy for me, but I still like to smoke while watching a good movie or series. So I'm thinking of buying an e-cig. It will probably cost me more, because as I said I didn't smoke a lot of cigs in the first place, but it'll be worth it. Less danger to health and no smell.

The only thing I will continue smoking are cigars, but them I only smoke occassionally and seldom in my house...

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Smoked real cigs for 14 years and was up to about a pack and half a day, I used a prescription drug to quit for about 4 months, got fat and depressed and started smoking cigars, noticed they were making me feel just as shitty so I tried ecigs.

It's been about 5 months and they are amazing. I started with cheapo ones bought in a local smoke shop, upgraded to apollo brand ones, and then to their heavy duty refillable ones. I have zero desire to smoke cigarettes or cigars, my nicotine cravings occur at longer intervals, I have saved a ton of money, my sense of smell and taste have returned, my chest no longer hurts, my clothes and home dont stink anymore, my teeth are started to get whiter, my breathe doesn't stink, the only thing I retain is a slight cough, but nowhere near the severity it used to be.
The ability to just whip it out and take a puff at pretty much any moment is amazing. Most people don't notice at all, especially if your quick and not obvious about it. Go into the bathroom and take a few puffs for instance. No smell and vapor that disappears means you don't leave evidence or stink up the place.

I recommend spending about a week getting used to them and then tossing out your cigarettes so your only option is the ecig. You adjust quicker than you'd think.

surly

Banned
What a coincidence that this thread popped up, because I'm thinking of buying an e-cig as well. I am in fact looking at one right now (510 Titan Tank) and waiting for the price to drop (something called YoYo Discount, see for yerself: http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co...tan-tank-e-nic-compact-starter-2-product.html )

I'm not even a heavy smoker, I only smoked like three cigs a day but I smoked indoors in front of TV/Computer (I hate smoking outside) and that was stinking stuff up. Giving up altogether is probably easy for me, but I still like to smoke while watching a good movie or series. So I'm thinking of buying an e-cig. It will probably cost me more, because as I said I didn't smoke a lot of cigs in the first place, but it'll be worth it. Less danger to health and no smell.

The only thing I will continue smoking are cigars, but them I only smoke occassionally and seldom in my house...
That's the kit I started with. It's not a bad starting point, but there's 2 downsides to it: -

1. Short battery life. Get a spare battery, cos you will need it.
2. Constantly having to fill the cart as it only holds a few drops of juice.

You can solve problem 2 by buying some clearomisers that look like this when attached to a Titan 510 battery: -

6zV5B.jpg

The entire clear section of the tank fills up with juice. There's a wick that runs through the tank that soaks up the juice, so you never get a problem with either the atomiser flooding, or that hideous burnt taste you'll get sometimes if you allow the atomiser to burn while dry (which can take days to disappear).

The downside to clearomisers is filling them, as it's done via a small syringe. That said, you get 5 clearomisers for £9 and you can fill as many up as you'll need for the day and you're all sorted, so it's not like you'd need to carry a syringe around with you!

I use an e-cig called a Screwdriver. Here's mine with a clearomiser attached: -

OJFii.jpg

The advantage of this is that it takes a much larger rechargeable battery that will last a whole day (and you get 2 in the kit, so you always have a spare). The disadvantage is the size/weight and some people might not like the rather conspicuous look of it for public use.

I tend to use the Screwdriver while at home/work, then if I'm going out I'll remove the clearomiser and attach a Titan 510 battery to it instead, then I've got something smaller, lighter and less conspicuous to use in the pub or wherever.

TCRS

Banned
Cool, thanks. So the clearomiser is a cartridge and atomiser in one right? How long do these things last? One thing I read about atomisers is that they don't last very long... some last only a week. Expensive.

Problem 1 can be solved by buying a pass through charger.

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co...ctronic-cigarettes-510-titan-usb-product.html

Since I am mainly going to be vaping in front of the laptop that sort of charger is probably the best solution.

So anyways, my e-cig arrived this morning and I just tried the menthol solution. Only had a few puffs and it tastes very chemically... I'm sure it will make me sick after 30 min of vaping. But it may just be the break-in period and it starts tasting better later on. We'll see.

surly

Banned
Cool, thanks. So the clearomiser is a cartridge and atomiser in one right? How long do these things last? One thing I read about atomisers is that they don't last very long... some last only a week. Expensive.
My atomisers have lasted a long time. I started vaping back in May and I've had 2 atomisers die - 1 on the Titan and 1 on the Screwdriver. And yep, the clearomiser is a cartridge and atomiser in one. A pack of 5 is only £9, so they're cheaper than most other atomisers. I'm still on my first one as I only just switched to them, but I'll let you know how long it lasts.

TCRS said:
So anyways, my e-cig arrived this morning and I just tried the menthol solution. Only had a few puffs and it tastes very chemically... I'm sure it will make me sick after 30 min of vaping. But it may just be the break-in period and it starts tasting better later on. We'll see.
Yeah, there can be an odd taste when an atomiser is new, as if something needs to burn away before it starts tasting right. Also, if you run them too dry, sometimes it can lead to a really strong burnt taste that can take ages to go away. That's what happened with my second Screwdriver atomiser, which is why I switched to clearomisers.

There's an adjustment period where you have to get used to the flavour too, a bit like switching to a new brand of cigarette.

TCRS

Banned
Question: can I just leave the fluid in the cartridge if I don't want to smoke it anymore? I filled it up to the top like they showed in the tutorial video but now I want to try the other flavour. So what do I do with the full cartridge?

edit:
I meant vape, not smoke :p

surly

Banned
Question: can I just leave the fluid in the cartridge if I don't want to smoke it anymore?
Yeah. If you've got some of the little caps for the carts, you can cap the cart you're taking off, or just leave it open end up somewhere where it won't get knocked over, as long as you're not going to leave it there for days.

TCRS

Banned
Jup, same here, I'm loving it. No smell and no wasted cigarettes. A cigarette just burns away and half of it is wasted while playing games. No such thing with an e-cig. The best thing is that I'm not risking the health of other people near me and they don't get annoyed by any smell.

Going to order new flavours and those clearomisers soon.

DaFish

Jup, same here, I'm loving it. No smell and no wasted cigarettes. A cigarette just burns away and half of it is wasted while playing games. No such thing with an e-cig. The best thing is that I'm not risking the health of other people near me and they don't get annoyed by any smell.

Going to order new flavours and those clearomisers soon.

You have to try the Lemon-Blueberry-CottonCandy (one flavor) if your into that kinda flavor... my god

Looking to hop on the bandwagon next week when I get paid. Can anyone recommend a good site with reasonable prices and decent delivery for the UK?

Also, what is suggested that I get to start off with?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So after going with a 510 for a better part of 3 years, I decided to check out what's new and the advances that have been made.

After doing a lot of research and looking at a lot of reviews, I've ordered this:
uTUxs.jpg

It's the Joyetech eGo-C, and I can't wait to get it in the next week.

I'm still going to use my 510 setup when I'm out and about, but I may move to their new tank system they have going if I like what the eGo-C delivers.

Stasis

I just ordered an Apollo standard starter kit with 8mg nicotine cartomizers... got standard tobacco, and then an extra set of vanilla flavor to see. It came with a free disposable one so I took coffee flavor on that.

I took the plunge largely because of this thread. I'll post updates after I receive it and try it out a bit.

Replying to my own thread because I said I'd update.

The Apollo kit is good, but I have to admit that I haven't used it all that much. I got it, used it for about 2 days while still smoking in between, and then kind of put it away/forgot about it.

I can say that it never irritated my throat at all, and that it does have a certain amount of the desirable (for smokers...) "throat hit". It also produces a pretty decent cloud of vapor.

I quit smoking 6 days ago, just a sudden cold turkey move that's been working, and I did it without the e-cig. I've used it twice in 6 days very briefly through intense nicotine cravings. I'm mostly trying to remove nicotine from my system entirely now. I will say that when I used it the first time, 3 days after my last cigarette, I was instantly slightly dizzy, and that's with the 8mg nicotine cart.

Good luck to all of you attempting to quit real cigs...

This helped me a lot, and still is: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1402718616/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: I wanna add that I've been a pack a day smoker for about 10 years. I have absolutely no desire for a cigarette right now, but I still get some nicotine cravings and when I can't handle it, the E-cig is helpful. To encourage anyone about to try... I'd never managed to get past 24 hours in the past. The first 3 days were, I won't lie, kind of awful. It's getting a lot better. I literally barricaded myself indoors and haven't been out once. Work doesn't start up for another week, and my gf has been super helpful and encouraging, so she's been doing the necessities shopping and making sure there's good snackage around =)

coldvein

Banned
i want these things to take over the world. not for me (i'll always smoke the cancer) but just to kill the taboo of "stick object smoking in mouth = shithead".

I started with apollo based on this thread.
But now in retrospect it was wasted money.
The apollo is a 108 cigaret style e-cig, and it's expensive.
Also you're stuck using apollo's carto's as I haven't found a carto that fits on the standard edition yet.
They sell carto packs, but it's 9 pounds a pack and they charge 7 pounds for overseas shipping.
I bought a Riva 510 Se edition from liberty flights in november. And the difference is amazing.
Anyone wanting to start vaping, forget the cigaret-sized stuff, go for a set of RIVA 510's and a bunch of 2 ohm BOGE or Kanger carto's and a few drip tips. This set will change your life.

My apollo bats are now resting in my cupboard...

Javaman

Walgreens has two disposable versions now, the Blu brand and some generic. The first has the same as a pack of smokes and the latter two packs. They are a little expensive at $10 but it's not a bad price if you just want to try them out.

Meadows

Banned
I was at a warehouse club night on NYE and smoking was banned, but a few people was using these, saw like 4 or 5 people smoking them that night. (Manchester, UK)

RivalCore

I'll just drop it and give my own experience.

I've been using the Joyce eGo for about two and half months now. I've gone from being a 20-plus-a-day to using the e-cig exclusively. Probably one of the best decisions and purchases I've made in a long time. I started a new job in November that can be mentally draining and stressful so I still need my cigarette break to mull over designs.

Not only has my breathing and energy come back, financially this thing is a life saver. At the rate I was smoking I was spending 80 euros a week on cigarettes, the e-cig is costing me no more than 10 (aside from the large buy-in). Also the knock on effect of getting my sense of smell and taste back means I'm no longer eating shitty disgusting food.

It takes a little while to get used to using it but once you settle into a routine the benefits become instantly clear.

Broseybrose

I just picked up a new variation on the eGo called the K-Go and its better than the eGo or Riva IMO. The starter kit is under $50 and comes with 2 1100mah batteries that are better than the eGo's, as well as 2 Low Resistance 510 atomizers (perfect), and a charger. I bought mine here: http://www.hoosierecigsupply.com/KGO-kit-1100mAh-by-SLB-HEC001.htm

Ive been vaping for over 18 months and I can tell you this is the best starter kit around, as well as best value.

You'll still need to buy some juice and for that i recommend BackwoodsBrew.com's 555, Vaperite.com's organic VR4 or Caramel Creme, or ivape.net's Sweet Caroline (my personal favorite).

Also check out ECF for ecig forums.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I've been vaping for about two years. Currently using ego and loving it. The only thing that worries me is that there may be unseen health risks. They have to be better for me than the real thing though.

So after going with a 510 for a better part of 3 years, I decided to check out what's new and the advances that have been made.

After doing a lot of research and looking at a lot of reviews, I've ordered this:
uTUxs.jpg

It's the Joyetech eGo-C, and I can't wait to get it in the next week.

I'm still going to use my 510 setup when I'm out and about, but I may move to their new tank system they have going if I like what the eGo-C delivers.

I believe I just ordered one of these tonight (EGO - T 900MAH TYPE C - http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=118).

Impressions please? Hopefully it'll be here by the weekend along with a bottle of Tobacco e-juice (Virginia something... apparently tastes the same as the rolling tobacco I've been using for the past few years).

Moderate smoker, I get through a 12.5g box of tobacco every 2-3 days or so. Hopefully this'll help get me on the road to Quitsville. Everything else I've tried has had the bus cancelled!

Jharp

Subbing to read later. I drive for a living and smoke a ton because of it, but I very VERY rarely have an urge to smoke outside of work, unless I'm drinking. E-cig might help me out with the constant work smoking. I do roughly a pack a week, which isn't bad, but it's bad enough.

daw840

Subbing to read later. I drive for a living and smoke a ton because of it, but I very VERY rarely have an urge to smoke outside of work, unless I'm drinking. E-cig might help me out with the constant work smoking. I do roughly a pack a week, which isn't bad, but it's bad enough.

HAHAHAHAHA.....oh man.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...*cough cough hack hack*......HAHAHAHAHA.

I was at that level when I was 14! Come back when you're a real smoker.

My order's been posted.

Now I play the waiting game and hope the tobacco I bought this morning will be close to the last time I ever buy any.

Neverfade

So I checked out this thread the other day and saw that ecigs come in a ton of flavors. As a Pipe and hookah smoker, that piqued my interest. Today at the convenience store I nabbed a disposable blu. I like it on the whole, but this thing leaves much to be desired in the flavor department. Whats the consensus on these blus? Are they just shit? Do all brands taste like a burnt maple?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
So I'm still vaping, but not nearly as regularly as when I started back in September. I guess that's the idea. :) I'm not using my Apollo e-cigs anymore, i got tired of constantly ordering them online and paying for shipping. I actually started just buying disposable Blu e-cigs at Walgreens. Probably more expensive in the long run, and the goddamn things don't last very long, but I like being able to just stop in and spend 8 bucks on one whenever I get a craving.

I'm not a smoker but I took a class on smoking cessation last semester and have done some phone counseling. If any of you guys feel like you need help quitting cigarettes (and e-cigs) shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Broseybrose

I just picked up a new variation on the eGo called the K-Go and its better than the eGo or Riva IMO. The starter kit is under $50 and comes with 2 1100mah batteries that are better than the eGo's, as well as 2 Low Resistance 510 atomizers (perfect), and a charger. I bought mine here: http://www.hoosierecigsupply.com/KGO-kit-1100mAh-by-SLB-HEC001.htm

Ive been vaping for over 18 months and I can tell you this is the best starter kit around, as well as best value.

You'll still need to buy some juice and for that i recommend BackwoodsBrew.com's 555, Vaperite.com's organic VR4 or Caramel Creme, or ivape.net's Sweet Caroline (my personal favorite).

Also check out ECF for ecig forums.

Im quoting myself because i feel like i provided everything a potential ecig smoker could need in my post: A link to the best starter kit deal around, juice recommendations, and a link to the ECF (e-cigarette forum) for further education.

Broseybrose

I believe that may have something to do with the difference in the way the lungs absorbs vapor as opposed to smoke. The body takes in a quick burst of nicotine when you smoke, whereas the vapor tends to hang around longer in the lungs providing a more steady dose of nicotine. This effect seemingly allows vapers to go longer before feeling cravings.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I believe I just ordered one of these tonight (EGO - T 900MAH TYPE C - http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=118).

Impressions please? Hopefully it'll be here by the weekend along with a bottle of Tobacco e-juice (Virginia something... apparently tastes the same as the rolling tobacco I've been using for the past few years).

Moderate smoker, I get through a 12.5g box of tobacco every 2-3 days or so. Hopefully this'll help get me on the road to Quitsville. Everything else I've tried has had the bus cancelled!

So I've had it for about 5 days now and I absolutely love it. One battery can last me all day at work and I might go through 1 - 1 1/2 carts. I get great 'smoke' and an excellent throat hit. With my 510, I would periodically have problems with flooding and I would get a mouth full of juice, but I haven't had it happen once yet with some pretty heavy use. So far I am really happy!

So I've had it for about 5 days now and I absolutely love it. One battery can last me all day at work and I might go through 1 - 1 1/2 carts. I get great 'smoke' and an excellent throat hit. With my 510, I would periodically have problems with flooding and I would get a mouth full of juice, but I haven't had it happen once yet with some pretty heavy use. So far I am really happy!

Awesome. Sounds like I made a good choice. Mines apparently out for delivery, so hopefully I'll have it tomorrow. My only apprehension is that it looks to be pretty hefty.

I usually have one cigarette roughly every hour or so, and I've read one cart could last me an entire day with the rate I'd be using them.

Hoping the 30ml of juice I bought lasts me a while, but won't know till I get through the first couple of carts.

I've also read that the atomisers can be somewhat unreliable, and I don't relish the idea of having to replace them anything up to every couple of weeks or so at almost £10 a pop. What's everyone found to be the best alternative? I've read good things about Cartomisers and they only seem to be around £3 each or so. Anyone got an opinion on the matter?

I'm looking to be saving money just as much as I want to cut down and eventually quit.

Can't wait to see if my senses of taste/smell really are as bad as I assume them to be.

Please fellow smokers endorse this. We will try to make the legistlation for it. Unfortenately at least here in Europe even if authtorities try to ban smoking its also a vital source of tax revenue for them. Thus the opposition for electronic cigarettes. Non smokers like me thank heavens for this magneficient invention.

Top Bottom