• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumored Chinese Forum Xbox720 specs: 8CoreCPU,8GB,HD8800GPU,W8,640GBHDD

DaBuddaDa

I don't know how they could put together these specs and have it cost anything under $450 without taking a huge loss.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I will be impressed if this is true. Next gen might have some hope after all!

If you've been following rumors for a while, these specs come at no surprise. It's what we've been expecting for a while.

I'm expecting PS4 to be very similar, just with fewer cores that have higher clock speeds and less RAM but with more RAM bandwidth. I imagine performance will be pretty similar in practice, depending on OS requirements.

I don't know how they could put together these specs and have it cost anything under $450 without taking a huge loss.
If they're using DDR3 and Jaguar cores it'll be pretty cheap to assemble and maufacture.

Durante

I'm not too familiar with PC video cards.. What's an 8800 like compared to a 7970?

Edit: oh shit the 8800 isn't even out? Wow. That is some fucking power, god damn.
Everything ending on x800 at AMD is a mid-range card. As the next generation mid-range one could expect it to be a bit slower than current generation high-end.

8 CPU cores are fantastic if they are "fat" cores, but a bit disappointing if it's just Jaguar.

Takuya

Banned
Begs the question on how fast these CPUs/GPUs are clocked. I bet they're severely underclocked to attempt to avoid another RROD fiasco.

Oppo

I sort of believe the "Xbox 8" naming rumours, if this is true.

8 cores
8 gigs RAM
8800 GPU
Talks to Windows 8
Etc

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
If any of this is true, I wonder how a 8800 (or for that matter, whatever it was before the rebrand) would fare in a closed system. It certainly sounds like more than just an incremental upgrade.

Anyone expecting an incremental upgrade is fucking retarded.

There. I said it.

miksar

It's MS, they can afford it. This time they have 360 that will sell very well for the next 2-3 years and will recoup the next-fen losses.

Elginer

I'm ready to throw my money. I don't even care if it's 599 is Alan Wake 2 is a launch title. Sony better really step it up if these specs are true.

derFeef

To clarify AMD namings.

8800 is the base for top cards, 8900 are enthusiast cards.

Mainstream will be: 8870 and 8850
Mobile will probably look like this: 8670, 8650 etc.

Edit: And it will be a customized chip, so no direct comparisons :)

I'm ready to throw my money. I don't even care if it's 599 is Alan Wake 2 is a launch title. Sony better really step it up if these specs are true.

image.php

Indeed :)

640GB hard drive is most probably only for the dev kits.

Historically dev kits have much bigger hard drives than actual retail units.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

if the CPU is Jaguar cores, they cost nothing and take up no space at all, so discount those (probably cheaper than the 360 CPU to fab)

The HDD and bluray drive etc are all cheap to purchase these days

That just leaves the GPU and RAM. If AMD bid really low due to desparation, then the licensing fee could be pretty low which just leaves the fab cost, and thats down to how custom MS want to make it.

RAM - if they go with edram on the GPU then they could just have gobs of DDR3 RAM which won't cost them much.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Everything ending on x800 at AMD is a mid-range card. As the next generation mid-range one could expect it to be a bit slower than current generation high-end.

8 CPU cores are fantastic if they are "fat" cores, but a bit disappointing if it's just Jaguar.

I thought you were coming around to the idea of multiple skinny cores? Or is it just the '8' part thats an issue?

Presumably at least one would be locked off for OS, possibly two.

DaBuddaDa

640GB hard drive is most probably only for the dev kits.

Historically dev kits have much bigger hard drives than actual retail units.

I agree. One place to cut costs is always HD size. Perhaps they'll have two SKUs for launch, one with ~32 GB of on-board space, and one with a ~320 GB HD for the core.

ekim

I thought you were coming around to the idea of multiple skinny cores? Or is it just the '8' part thats an issue?

Presumably at least one would be locked off for OS, possibly two.

and one or two for kinect if it's built in.

Oppo

It's semi-official, cores are the new bits.

We are about to embark on the 8 core console era.

tipoo

Banned
AMD just released the 8K series only for OEMs, and it's almost all the exact same as the 7000 series. OEMs just wanted new model numbers this year.

The actual next architecture change will likely be called the 9000 series, as it will not make sense to have two 8000 series architectures.

So that begs the question: Does this just mean GCN/the 7k series in the Nextbox?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6570/amds-annual-gpu-rebadge-radeon-hd-8000-series-for-oems

God I hate the rebranding that AMD and Nvidia do.

As for the CPU there was also a rumor that it would have four way multithreading, which points right to the IBM Power7. The 8 core version of that in a console will be absolutely nuts.

POWER7 has these specifications:[12][13]
45 nm SOI process, 567 mm2
1.2 billion transistors
3.0 – 4.25 GHz clock speed
max 4 chips per quad-chip module
4, 6 or 8 C1 cores per chip
4 SMT threads per C1 core (available in AIX 6.1 TL05 (releases in April 2010) and above)
12 execution units per C1 core:
2 fixed-point units
2 load/store units
4 double-precision floating-point units
1 vector unit supporting VSX
1 decimal floating-point unit
1 branch unit
1 condition register unit
32+32 kB L1 instruction and data cache (per core)[14]
256 kB L2 Cache (per C1 core)
4 MB L3 cache per C1 core with maximum up to 32MB supported. The cache is implemented in eDRAM, which does not require as many transistors per cell as a standard SRAM[5] so it allows for a larger cache while using the same area as SRAM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7

DieH@rd

Banned
4 Jaguar CPU modules [8 hardware threads], 8800 GPU ahitecture inside of APU, eSRAM for fast buffer directly in GPU, 8 gig of slow ram for main memory.

Perfectly doable.

Thoraxes

Yes? They easily make $1b + profit in EDD yearly, a $50 loss on each 720, say they sell 10 mill first year, that's $500 mill loss. It's hefty but it can be covered.

They're gonna lose a lot more than $50 unless they charge and arm and leg and sell a shit ton.

KKRT00

If those cores are proper cores, not some shit Atom or PowerPC crap like in WiiU, i'll be very impressed. Of course they will probably still work in less than 3ghz, but still its huge upgrade and will give us good tech boost in future.

88xx is good news too, very high shader cores count and modern design.
For RAM, i would prefer 4gb GDDR5 than 8gb of anything else.

Top Bottom