• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII released on Steam, $11.99 USD (Squeenix account required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

Fuck, you still need a S-E account? Forget it. Not worth the trouble lol. :(
If I can use the same one as I would for FFXIV then... eh, whatever. Had to make it to register game codes anyway.

Still, I'd just wait on a 50-75% sale. Have my discs including my special light blue disc 1, and I have a PSN version if those are too scratched up, so I don't have much reason to bother on PC unless I can get it for extra cheap.

Mr_Elysia

Sickening. I bought it in support from Gamer's Gate before I knew about the squeenix account bullshit. I would not have done so had I known. None of this is mentioned on the site. The DRM requirement says only steamworks and the only thing hinted at requiring any connection of any sort is using the cloud save feature.

Lulubop

They'll probably do this same shitty DRM if they release 15 on PC. No idea why they don't do what they do with their Eidos titles.

Grief.exe

Some games, like GTAIV will show directly that Securom is installed with the installation.

v9bqsDI.png

I think they got sneakier though. Other, known Securom games, such as BIoshock 2, Riddick, Batman:AC don't show that they are installing Securom.

Was thinking of getting it.

Saw the SE account requirement in addition to Steam's own DRM.

Nope. Thought the Steam DRM was sufficient, but apparently they still had to chain it to their own servers.

Septimius

Achievements in this game really makes me see the difference in the way games used to be played, and the way they're played now. I did all of those things, even more than once, well, except getting Aeris' 4th limit-break, but I did it because I wanted to do it. The game was compelling enough to have me wanting to do these things. It's not that people still won't, but this achievement-hunting just kills so much for me.

I'm happy to turn them off forever.

Oh God, always-online DRM on the Steam release of FFVII... damn. I didn't expect anything but a quick cash grab, but you've really got to hand it to Square-Enix for having the nerve to deliver exactly that while the community actually does all the restoration work via mods. And the price-gouging is definitely the cherry on top.

Grief.exe

Helix, can you check your registry for a Securom entry?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SecuROM.

Check these locations in your registry.

Hellix

Helix, can you check your registry for a Securom entry?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\SecuROM.

Check these locations in your registry.

I do have SecuROM under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM, but I don't think that's from FFVII.

It's not DRM, it's the infinite power of the cloud rendering the cut scenes in real time. You're computers can't handle his spiky hair.

Grief.exe

I do have SecuROM under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SecuROM, but I don't think that's from FFVII.

What game do you think its from? What other games do you have installed that would have Securom?

Does it give any names from within the entry?

King of FIghters has yet to appear.

Soon.

Game is updated on an, almost, daily basis. They recently added language options as well.

Well that leaves KOFXIII as well.

Which is also very close to release

http://steamdb.info/app/222940/#section_history

Hellix

What game do you think its from? What other games do you have installed that would have Securom?

Arkham City. Anno 2070 (don't recall if that had SecuROM too).

Not really any names from within the entry that would tell me, just these under the settings/8DD145AA078EDF3C6A17A96B3CBBF791 folder: always_disc_check, prompt_upon_first_launch, prompt_upon_wrong_disc. Then some securom_v7_01 files under UserData.

Grief.exe

Arkham City. Anno 2070 (don't recall if that had SecuROM too).

Not really any names from within the entry that would tell me, just these under the settings/8DD145AA078EDF3C6A17A96B3CBBF791 folder: always_disc_check, prompt_upon_first_launch, prompt_upon_wrong_disc. Then some securom_v7_91 files under UserData.

You have a few SecuRom games on your account

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam#SecuROM

Batman, Bioshock 2, GTA IV, Dirt 3, Crysis, Fuel, Test Drive 2.

Both Securom and GFWL is potentially getting removed from Bioshock 2, Batman: AA, and Batman: AC sometime in the future.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
That's a shame. I was hoping that they would leave it at Steam DRM and be done with it, but obviously that doesn't satiate the overlords of stupidity at Square Enix.

I'm content with my PSN copy yet at the same time there is a feeling of fulfillment at being able to have a PC copy on Steam.

Hellix

You have a few SecuRom games on your account

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Big_List_of_3rd_Party_DRM_on_Steam#SecuROM

Batman, Bioshock 2, GTA IV, Dirt 3, Crysis, Fuel, Test Drive 2.

Both Securom and GFWL is potentially getting removed from Bioshock 2, Batman: AA, and Batman: AC sometime in the future.

Ah right, forgot about GTA IV. Bioshock 2 isn't installed for me at the moment, I thought that was just GFWL. Good to hear they are removing them from the Batman games at least.

So, I guess FFVII doesn't have SecuROM.

Is the game broken or something, or does it connect with the SE store for stats? Already there are people who have completed achievements like Cait Sith's last limit break.

Grief.exe

Is the game broken or something, or does it connect with the SE store for stats? Already there are people who have completed achievements like Cait Sith's last limit break.

Steam doesn't bother encrypting their achievements like GFWL.

Its very easy to run a quick program and earn all of the achievements.

Lulubop

Soon.

Game is updated on an, almost, daily basis. They recently added language options as well.

Evo is next week, maybe they'll push it out then.

sueil

Anyone know if there is a mod to use the Yamaha midi card music from the original PC release with this version? It is better than the PS1 music.

Grief.exe

On one hand I'm happy some JRPGS are being released on Steam, and a classic at that. I hope more Japanese companies continue to get the message.

On the other hand I'm disgusted this game is so riddled with pointless and intrusive DRM.

Yeah. There will probably be announcements by Capcom about SF4 and some Injustice stuff as well.

Since Kof is one of the nine featured games, would make sense that they will announce something there too.

Can't wait to hear the official announcement.

After KOF XIII and FFVII, literally Halo is the last title that hasn't been released yet.

I think I will get my answer to that August 6th. Can't wait to make that OT.

GamerJM

Banned
Should I pick up the PS1 classic version then? I was about to buy that last week, but couldn't because I couldn't get my PS3 online due to internet problems that should be resolved in a couple days. I really don't want to have to deal with always online DRM.

sueil

Partial controller support?

My wired 360 controller works fine. Only weird thing is when it booted up it showed the keyboard controls and the only way to continue was to hit X on my keyboard. After that controller worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom