• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Nintendo conference summary - Score: 10/10

Is there any video of the Miyamoto + WiiFit stuff around? I watched the entire Iwata speech, but the Miyamoto stuff didn't follow.

Also Nuclear Muffin, I'd curb your enthusiasm for WiiWare a little. Some of the games look good but till we're playing em on our consoles and see what's coming out week-to-week, it's far from being more ambitious than PSN or XBLA.

Teddman

What game is this? It looks ROX.

20222_n20071011_02_wiiss_26.jpg

Jiggy

Neomoto said:
- 7.8 Million Virtual Console downloads Sales graph of Virtual Console downloads * Thanks to Cheesemeister for the graph
Hmm.

This is less than one VC game per Wii sold, even though I would think most people who are buying VC games at all have probably picked up a bare minimum of three...

And that's if for no other reason than that 2000 Wii Points is the amount buyable in stores--which gets two games at minimum, four games at maximum, and ~2.7 games on average. (Actually, more than that on average since the 500/600-Point NES/TG16 lineups are really loaded whereas the 1000-Point N64 lineup is pretty empty. That said, analyzing per individual game would take a bit of work while probably not revealing much--N64 may not have many games, but Mario 64/OoT/Mario Kart are all probably big sellers anyway. So I don't mind just going by system average, which was 740 Points until Neo Geo entered the fray.)

So it's more like ~2.6 million Wii owners who have gotten into VC at all. Again, that's assuming that average of three games per buyer, which is very minimal--it's likely less than that. I guess that tie ratio [edit: of VC buyer to VC non-buyer] isn't horrible even if it's cut in half... Just makes me wonder how much any given individual game could have sold.

20222_n20071011_02_wiiss_27.jpg

That right there looks better to me, by far, than this:

gears-of-war-20070409045844667.jpg

One is art in motion, and one is a heavy dose of still relatively blurry textures combined with a mean case of uncanny valley, topped off with a thin coat of plastic. And it's ugly. They're going for realism, and they still fail, and it comes off as goofy.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Nuclear Muffin said:
Yeah especially since SSBB will probably get delayed till next year now :(

yeah forgot about that, maybe they will only delay it to December 31st. It was supposed to come out on the 3rd, they have a little wiggle room....ahh who am I kidding, this is nintendo we are talking about.

:(

mutsu

Jiggy37 said:
Hmm.

This is less than one VC game per Wii sold, even though I would think most people who are buying VC games at all have probably picked up a bare minimum of three...

blah blah

That's actually not a bad sign. It means that Nintendo are picking up new audiences to their console system, not just faithful Nintendo fan boys. Let's be realistic now, people who buy Virtual Console games are those who want that nostalgic feeling brought back to them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jiggy37 said:
Hmm.

And that's if for no other reason than that 2000 Wii Points is the amount buyable in stores--which gets two games at minimum, four games at maximum, and ~2.7 games on average. (Actually, more than that on average since the 500/600-Point NES/TG16 lineups are really loaded whereas the 1000-Point N64 lineup is pretty empty. That said, analyzing per individual game would take a bit of work while probably not revealing much--N64 may not have many games, but Mario 64/OoT/Mario Kart are all probably big sellers anyway. So I don't mind just going by system average, which was 740 Points until Neo Geo entered the fray.)

So it's more like ~2.6 million Wii owners who have gotten into VC at all. Again, that's assuming that average of three games per buyer, which is very minimal--it's likely less than that. I guess that tie ratio [edit: of VC buyer to VC non-buyer] isn't horrible even if it's cut in half... Just makes me wonder how much any given individual game could have sold.

Well anyone who hasn't bothered or can't use online automatically can't buy any virtual console titles. A more interesting comparision would be the amount of virtual console games bought compared to online Wii owners

Fredescu

Nuclear Muffin said:
Wii Ware>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PSN + XBLA
I really hope that's sarcasm. What a load of crap. A non existant service with a non existant storage solution is better than services that exist and have hundreds of games between them? Righto.

Polari

Jiggy37 said:
Hmm.

This is much less than one VC game per Wii sold, even though I would think most people who are buying VC games at all have probably picked up a bare minimum of three...

When you consider it's practically money for nothing, 7.9 million games sold is pretty good going. You're probably looking at somewhere in the range of $50 million in revenue and not much less in profit in the space of 10 months.

cortland_andrus said:
Awesome

Also awesome

One is art in motion, and one is a heavy dose of still relatively blurry textures combined with a mean case of uncanny valley, topped off with a thin coat of plastic. And it's ugly. They're going for realism, and they still fail, and it comes off as goofy.

picardslappingforehead.gif

Windu

Well they did say only 40% of Wii owners were online. Not sure if that was global or just Japan.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
cortland_andrus said:

Get that shit out of this thread.

Edit: Beaten!

cortland_andrus said:

Its a trap people, don't fall for it!

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
cortland_andrus said:

Why did you post it Twice?!

sp0rsk said:
When is the American side of this conference?

I'm pretty sure I heard 7pm Western time, so that means 10pm for us on the east coast. I'm not so sure we will here much more, it seems like Brawl might be delayed and we will probably get dates for the Wii Ware and stuff, thats it. Nintendo would never be nice enough to us to have two huge conferences in one day.

ivysaur12

Banned
Great, great post.

I'm a little sad at how Disaster and Soma Bringer look. As a huge MonolithSoft fan, I can't help but wonder why Disaster looks worse than both Xenosaga III and BKO. Fortunately, half of the screens look good while the other half don't, so we'll see. And those could just be bad shots for Soma Bringer.

Anyways, I hope they look good in motion.

Jiggy

mutsu said:
That's actually not a bad sign.
Wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. :)

Let's be realistic now, people who buy Virtual Console games are those who want that nostalgic feeling brought back to them.
Well, in general, I suppose. But personally, I have 40 VC games, and only owned 7 of them before. [Edit: And only played 13 total, but some of the other 6 I didn't remember much.] Not much nostalgia--the other 33[/26] are like new games to me. :D

grandjedi6 said:
Well anyone who hasn't bothered or can't use online automatically can't buy any virtual console titles. A more interesting comparision would be the amount of virtual console games bought compared to online Wii owners
Good point. Do we have numbers of online Wii owners?

Grecco

Compared to E3 this was a 20/10. I dont see how anybody could complain about a small conference in October. Jeeze.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Just from looking at FFCC alone shows that Wii Ware is looking to be FAR more ambitious than PSN and XBLA. FFCC looks like it could seriously pass for a retail game! and Star Soldier R is the first true sequel in years, exclusive to Wii Ware, what other download service on rival consoles actually carry brand new, fully fledged sequels to existing franchises! And all this (with very strong 3rd Party support might I add!) is for launch!
warhawk and alot others comes to mind.

Windu

Jiggy37 said:
Wasn't trying to suggest otherwise. :)

Well, in general, I suppose. But personally, I have 40 VC games, and only owned 7 of them before. No nostalgia--the other 33 are like new games to me. :D

Good point. Do we have numbers of online Wii owners?

they said 40% of wii owners are online, not sure if that was global or just Japan though.

Windu said:
Well they did say only 40% of Wii owners were online. Not sure if that was global or just Japan.

That`s global, so that`s around 2 VC games per online Wii user
Of course it isn't really, GAF alone probably distorts the figure massively, I know that I do! @ 36 VC games and counting :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
BishopLamont said:
Choosing between SMG and SSBB for GOTY will spark the first world war between Nintendo fans, it's going to be bloody scary.
It's a good thing Brawl comes out in 2008 then.

JKBii

I really want to use the Virtual Console but I can't get into it heavily knowing about the arbitrary channel limit.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Holy, fucking, SHIT!

I think this is the FIRST time Ive ever felt that Nintendo has over delivered in a conference. Holy fuck. I wasnt even ware of most of that stuff in the OP. And DAMN DAMN DAMN at those Mario screens! As well as whatever the fuck that is after that!

mutsu

bmf said:
Was it pushed back worldwide, or just in Japan?

Worldwide I would say, but no confirmation yet.

I don't think US is going to get it a month earlier than Japan. Just not going to happen.

VerTiGo

Banned
mutsu said:
Worldwide I would say, but no confirmation yet.

I don't think US is going to get it a month earlier than Japan. Just not going to happen.

The Wii itself launched earlier here afterall.

Meier

Amazing thread, thanks for being so informative and concise. No way would I have learned all this otherwise.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Thank you so much for a making this thread!

Very concise. I guess we should have expected megatons after all! We got quite a few of them.

This is kind of like a few years ago when Nintendo had it's blowout NDS American and Japanese conference within a few days of each other, and both were amazing.

I'd expect at least one American megaton at the SF conference. (not that megatons should be rated regionally or anything. you know what I mean)

farnham

Banned
i think there is no point of argue that nintendo offers the best download service..

sure i would like to have great new games...

but that doesnt mean i shun all the NEogeo, Turbographix, SNES, Megadrive, NES and N64 games..

I missed many great games and its great that i can play them on wii.. and id rather do so then lets say... buy a new game like Geometry Wars (which is by far my favorite XBLA game)

So yeah VC alone trumps all download services (or is there anyother service that can provide games par to Super Metroid, Mario Bros. 2, Sin and Punishment and so on in a matter of weeks )

Top Bottom