• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sim City 5 to be announced at GDC event in march?

AJTsuki

Neo Member
Sadly, I don't think EA would ever go the SimCity2000 / SimCity 3 route. As much as I would line up on launch day for a deep city builder, success would come from a more accessible Sims-like game, not an old style economy management sim. There's just a much larger audience and a company like EA makes plans based on potential sales (and this makes Nessie sad).

But I really, really, really hope I'm wrong!

UraMallas

Sadly, I don't think EA would ever go the SimCity2000 / SimCity 3 route. As much as I would line up on launch day for a deep city builder, success would come from a more accessible Sims-like game, not an old style economy management sim. There's just a much larger audience and a company like EA makes plans based on potential sales (and this makes Nessie sad).

But I really, really, really hope I'm wrong!

I hope you're right. Sim City 4 was too much for me.

It has already been confirmed that SimCity is coming to Facebook soon in some form. It would be great if it launched concurrently with a real SimCity 5!

A big leap forward for the SimCity series would be through expansive asynchronous multiplayer options and obligatory Origin integration for user and developer-made DLC/add-ons.

You remember this is EA right?

Remove the grid layout <- one way to improve it

I just can't go back to building in SC4 after building in Cities XL. SC4 feels way too limited.

Mr Swine

Banned
Remove the grid layout <- one way to improve it

I just can't go back to building in SC4 after building in Cities XL. SC4 feels way too limited.

I think it's more limited in XL since I always have problems trying to build stuff and it doesn't work as well as it is supposed to do

I think it's more limited in XL since I always have problems trying to build stuff and it doesn't work as well as it is supposed to do

It's way less limited even if there's a few problems present there. If I want to make a city in the shape of a banana I can, in Sim City I'm very limited. I've seen some very futuristic looking designs in CXL all thanks to being able to do what I want as I want, without being bound to a grid. Sure the game then has a few problems, but... I can see Maxis doing this a lot better and with less bugs...

Sober

Wish they would just update SC4 for modern computers more than anything so it takes advantage and is more futureproof than SC4.

Nope, it's going to be in 3D and is going to be shitty, especially for mods because someone will make a building that is way too detailed for its own good then cry about how SC4 would've let them.

In before GAF implosion when it is revealed to be an Origin exclusive....
I really doubt it. SimCity is targeted towards a different audience than Origin is. It'll be on Origin no doubt, but exclusive? It isn't a "hardcore" AAA title so making it Origin exclusive would just shoot themselves in the foot for something that is PC-exclusive/centric. Hell, I doubt any of their Sims franchises would ever be Origin-exclusive.

Go the MMO route perhaps? Everyone gets one their own chunk of land per region and can trade with other player's cities within the region. Player are encouraged to specialize in certain industries and with different densities within the region itself.

And then regions are ranked in a bunch of categories- making a region (say 20-40 players) to become a single team.

It´s a shame that the EA factor makes it so hard to be optimistic and excited for a SimCity reveal. :( No matter how good initial screenshots and facts might look, you know that they are gonna tear down your excitement with dumbing down the game, Sims influences, DLC plans, Origin social integration and crap like that.

dLMN8R

*prays*

I'm half-excited about the idea that it might come to consoles, so it would actually be performance optimized unlike SimCity 4, but also half-worried that the simulation might be lacking in some areas...

Though on that note, CPU power is the least concerning part of current consoles. They mostly have plenty of CPU power to handle an internal simulation, and I don't really care about the graphics rendering portion. Memory limitations, though, could be a major issue. Even SimCity 4 struggled on 512MB of ram...

Mr Swine

Banned
*prays*

I'm half-excited about the idea that it might come to consoles, so it would actually be performance optimized unlike SimCity 4, but also half-worried that the simulation might be lacking in some areas...

Though on that note, CPU power is the least concerning part of current consoles. They mostly have plenty of CPU power to handle an internal simulation, and I don't really care about the graphics rendering portion. Memory limitations, though, could be a major issue. Even SimCity 4 struggled on 512MB of ram...

But Sim City 4 struggles even on today's PC and it shows that the game isn't really that optimized :(

LeleSocho

Banned
I totally forgot about EA and Origin for some reason...
So probably it will be an Origin exclusive... So probably i will never buy it :)

Piggus

Hopefully it runs better than Sim City 4. I started up SC4 tonight and even on a 4.8 ghz i5 2500k, 16gbs of RAM, dual SSDs, and dual HD 5850s, it runs like total bollocks. Still an awesome game though... I put a hell of a lot of hours into Sim City 2000 when I was a kid.

If it's like Sim City 4 but modernized to Cities XL level in terms of graphics, then I'm so bought.

Also they should steal Cities' amazing road and transport system.

Make a Sim City 5 Lite, for dummies like me, please.

Yeah my city never opperated in the black and after watching that video of the dude who made the "perfect city" using algorithms and level 5 calculus...I don't think I could touch that game again. Way over my head man. Roller Coaster Tycoon is the Sim for me.

I always wanted there to be a political element to the game, or at least some accountability.
Running for mayor every few years and the result would be determined on whether I was any good.

The closest I have seen is when Mortimer Green fires you for running the budget too far into the red in Sim City 3000.

mik83kuu

Banned
praying-cat22.jpg

Didn't care for anything that came after sim city 2000. Dos version and myst was all I played when we got our first computer. Something about it made me feel like I knew everything that was going on at a given moment. Wish it would run on my iMac but no more power pc support....

Suairyu

Banned
Make a Sim City 5 Lite, for dummies like me, please.
They did that already; it was called Sim City 2000. The rest of us would like the series to advance, not regress.

you mean a tutorial "city"? they did that in sim city 4 i think. i'm sure they will add it in again. you play that and bam, you are pro like the rest of us.
The tutorial in Sim City 4 was as helpful as protective gear made from tissue paper.

Black-Box

NO, better not, Simcity deserves to stay dead.

I read that it would be a Facebook game, which means it will suck

also if it comes to the consoles, I feel there might be a huge risk of the game being dumb down.

I feel like we will never get a true sim city game that we all want, but if it does come, I want it to be the size of Cities XL, except 1000x better, and better graphics...way better

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Come on EA, for PC. Bring back the old times! :p!

Make it at least Quad Core compatible so it doesn't chug like SC4. More varied buildings, better traffic, some good micromanagement, better economic engine, etc, etc. Ill buy TEN OF THEEEM

Mr Swine

Banned
NO, better not, Simcity deserves to stay dead.

I read that it would be a Facebook game, which means it will suck

also if it comes to the consoles, I feel there might be a huge risk of the game being dumb down.

I feel like we will never get a true sim city game that we all want, but if it does come, I want it to be the size of Cities XL, except 1000x better, and better graphics...way better

It was already dumbed down with Sim City Socities...

Much as I'd love another SimCity game, I fear the worst for another entry. It's gonna have Facebook integration of some sort, big or small. As long as it keeps away from the main game and it's just like the traditonal style of old, I'm in. Anything like that POS Societies and EA can rot in hell.

troopershades

Neo Member
Did they ever make it to where you could add custom buildings and what not? Kinda like you could make stuff with the creator in Spore? I had hoped that was something that would be in Sims to make your own furniture but I never saw it. Kinda disappointing considering the amount of time I spent in the Spore creator just making random things. Id very much like to see this functionality in a new Sims/SimCity game.

trinest

Where do you take the genre after SimCity 4? That's still the very best and I see no immediate way to intelligently expand on what 4 did, beyond some fixes and tweaks.

Sim City 4 region idea is horrible and should be improved upon to make it one big city and then make the regions suburbs. Also make the map renderable first off, and surburbs/loading areas customizable etc.

Theres lots of things outside of that too- like more modern buildings/techniques/road stuff etc.

It was already dumbed down with Sim City Socities...

People need to forget about Socities that was ages ago. the Creator series was the latest in the series and was quite well done.

Top Bottom