• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2017 | He11o Darkest My Old Friend

awp69

While the new App Store in iOS 11 is better in some ways, Google Play is getting better. Used to absolutely hate it.

Search still leaves much to be desired but now under Games, they have a dedicated section for Premium games and are pretty good about their choices. Highlighting categories like indies, console and PC ports, games not requiring Wi-Fi and probably my favorite addition - sales. Doesn’t appear to be a temporary thing like when Apple runs their supported sales. This just is games on sale period. Like not having to use a price tracking app to find the stuff.

Also, and they’ve had this a few months, EXACTLY, when a sale is going to end, whether it’s in two days or an hour. That’s nice.

Of course, Android is still far behind in gaming but would love some of those features to be added to the App Store.

Oynox

Finally started playing Device 6. Goodness gracious I think I never played something similarly gripping, as far as interactive fiction stories go. I can hardly think of any game which kept me up until 3 in the morning anymore (maybe GTA SA when I was a kid and prohibited from playing it).

I was so mad when I could not continue because I could not use a mirror in bed lol
The puzzles are legit good. Not too hard but, at least for me, hard enough to quit the game out of frustration just to start it up seconds later again. There was only one level, project 2 I think, which I solved in an instant. So satisfying to figure out those codes.

I am thrilled to continue playing later today!!

PittaGAF

Final Fantasy Tactics, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale were all updated to 64 bits.

A good day for old school RPGs.

colinp

Banned
Final Fantasy Tactics, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2 and Icewind Dale were all updated to 64 bits.

Wow sweet, I really wanna pick up Icewind Dale but playing a few too many games at the moment so it’ll have to wait.

Iron Marines is sooooo good. Sometimes I have a bit of trouble tapping the right unit in the panic of combat on my 6S+, but it’s been manageable.

Ahh top trailer. Me and my group have started playing Descent (the board game) recently which has put me in a right dungeon crawly mood. Warhammer Quest couldn't come at a better time really.

awp69

Actually, the original Baldur’s Gate is still showing as incompatible in iOS 11. The others are now though. Strange. Maybe they had to pull the update for it for some reason.

PittaGAF

Ahh top trailer. Me and my group have started playing Descent (the board game) recently which has put me in a right dungeon crawly mood. Warhammer Quest couldn't come at a better time really.

Do tell me.
I've been big in Silver Tower and miniature skirmishes last year...this is like a living Games Workshop World diorama.

That fog....I'm drooling.

colinp

Banned
Actually, the original Baldur’s Gate is still showing as incompatible in iOS 11. The others are now though. Strange. Maybe they had to pull the update for it for some reason.

Yeah, the beamdog blog also doesn’t mention BG being ready yet.

PittaGAF

Sorry, I was in a hurry and didn't double check.
I guess it's coming.

Voidance

I played the first 3 levels of Iron Marines and really like it so far. I’m not sure Fate is the right hero for me, but I hope to play some more this weekend and test out some other heroes and learn more about the game.

Oynox

I played the first 3 levels of Iron Marines and really like it so far. I’m not sure Fate is the right hero for me, but I hope to play some more this weekend and test out some other heroes and learn more about the game.
Is still time to get this free premium hero?

RM8

Why is Polytopia so awesome, free, and ad-free? Why does it exist? This is no joke one of my... top 3 mobile games ever.

killercow

HotHamBoy

INKS is currently FREE

392x696bb.jpg

392x696bb.jpg

Deus Ex: The Fall is on sale for $1

520x293bb.jpg

Pakoe

Gold Member
INKS is currently FREE

http://is2.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Purple30/v4/33/02/21/33022146-e7ed-3138-15b8-c0f5ff31718c/source/392x696bb.jpg[img]

[img]http://is4.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Purple30/v4/31/3c/98/313c9836-f7d3-ed59-fc2d-4bf3f34e3d31/source/392x696bb.jpg[img]

[Url=https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deus-ex-the-fall/id633443676?mt=8]
Deus Ex: The Fall is on sale for $1[/url]

[img]http://is1.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Purple3/v4/30/5e/59/305e5959-218b-63f7-3928-7090b9d53bb0/source/520x293bb.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Nice, thanks. Grabbed INKS.

awp69

I think the lesson that I've learned here is to only read what Shaun Musgrave writes on TA.

Sound advice.

Even he fact that Eli insists on every single one of his game round-up posts start with some stupid fact about what “holiday” it is that day pretty much nullifies anything that follows.

I gotta stop reading Eli's posts on TA...

Except for his two posts (1, 2) from when StarFront: Collision launched.

What's more fascinating is how 5/7 paragraphs in the Iron Marines review is spent justifying the IAP. Admittedly his first impressions post isn't as terrible. It's disingenuous how he mentions StarCraft half as many times as Iron Marines though.

I think the lesson that I've learned here is to only read what Shaun Musgrave writes on TA.
Pocketgamer gave it a 9/10 so Eli's review can't be that far off.

Just started playing West of Loathing on PC, and you guys are going to love it when it comes to mobile. It's a very funny RPG/adventure game hybrid, with a wonderfully charming sense of humor, a quirky (but nicely polished) stick figure aesthetic, and a good amount of RPG depth

baconcow

Cannot seem to play Through the Ages anymore. Crashed during the tutorial and now the game crashes on startup everytime. Reached out to the devs, but have not heard a thing.

Edit: Uninstalling, restarting, and reinstalling the game fixed it. Seems that offloading it, restarting, and reinstalling it was not enough. Maybe the data that remains after offloading was corrupted? Seems I can play again, for now.

RM8

Oh man, you weren't kidding. Just picked it up and wow. A+ mobile game!
I went to bed at 3 am because I had to make the Oumaji a glorious, revered, powerful civilization known for its deadly catapults and annoying shield units.

TrutaS

Hey guys, bit of a specific recommendation request. But I was looking for an offline game, where it's not too active, as in you make decisions but don't have to like to actively play (dodge obstacles or realtime strategy). But the game has a sense of progression and isn't riguelike.

I like the idea of Card Thief or Reign but I find that those games aren't rewarding. You lose and the have to do it all over again, I'd like more of an adventure.

Sorry if it's too specific but I really would like a game like that, for whenever I've got 5 mins to spare.

Hey guys, bit of a specific recommendation request. But I was looking for an offline game, where it's not too active, as in you make decisions but don't have to like to actively play (dodge obstacles or realtime strategy). But the game has a sense of progression and isn't riguelike.

I like the idea of Card Thief or Reign but I find that those games aren't rewarding. You lose and the have to do it all over again, I'd like more of an adventure.

Sorry if it's too specific but I really would like a game like that, for whenever I've got 5 mins to spare.
Maybe a turn based RPG. Could try one of the Pokémon clones like Pocket Mortys, or one of the Dragon quest games (though those are more involved than 5 minute spurts).

I'm not sure how active it still is, but you might like Subterfuge. It's a tactical game that takes place in real time, over hours, days, weeks, so you can check in now and then to set a strategy and then check later to react or counterattack

Age of Rivals has decent AI and a pretty lively multiplayer, a pretty hefty amount of depth while still being fast. It is short matches, rather than a persistent adventure though

You might like the Sorcery games, 80 Days, or the Zombie Exodus games. They're text adventure/interactive fiction with RPG elements so you can play for long or short and make meaningful choices

TrutaS

Thanks for the recommendations!
I actually own the forst Sorceries but never gave them much attention maybe I'll try that first!

baconcow

Lost Portal CCG
Only one expansion IAP ($2). No ads or any other IAP's. Like an adventure RPG with card battles and deck buidling. Their website has a lot of good information.

awp69

Lost Portal CCG
Only one expansion IAP ($2). No ads or any other IAP's. Like an adventure RPG with card battles and deck buidling. Their website has a lot of good information.

I picked this up recently when it was on sale but have no clue what I’m doing. Tried to read some of the manual but didn’t help much. I’m more of a learn by doing person and wish it had a tutorial. Seems like it could be good.

colinp

Banned
So with iOS 11 is it possible to switch between App Store regions directly on the phone without any issue? I was able to update apps from a different region account by just putting in my password, which was a nice surprise, but is it then possible to download apps from that region without causing big issues...?

awp69

So with iOS 11 is it possible to switch between App Store regions directly on the phone without any issue? I was able to update apps from a different region account by just putting in my password, which was a nice surprise, but is it then possible to download apps from that region without causing big issues...?

I’ve had no issues downloading soft launches from other regions on iOS 11. Same thing as usual. Sign out. Sign in with email for the region and download. And I do think updates still come while signed in with the orIginal id.

colinp

Banned
I’ve had no issues downloading soft launches from other regions on iOS 11. Same thing as usual. Sign out. Sign in with email for the region and download. And I do think updates still come while signed in with the orIginal id.

Awesome, thanks!

Also, I was able to update while being signed in to another ID. Just had to put in the password for that ID, but it didn’t switch the store or anything. Makes ios 11 my favorite upgrade. Nicely done Apple!

Top Bottom