• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

It'll be worth the wait!

How do you like the Pro so far? I'll probably end up with one this year, but I'm suuuuper disappointed it doesn't have a 4K bluray drive.

It's a bit beefy, but it also retains that sleek design Sony have become synonymous with.

Can't comment on whether it is worth it yet (probably won't be able to for long time) but it's right at home underneath my new TV.

The KS7000 screen is stellar (coming from a three-year-old 1080p set) and I'm excited to try out some old favourites with HDR.

It's disappointing that it doesn't have a 4K blurry drive, but for my usage, it's not a deal-breaker.

Ok, can someone just clarify if this is all ok?

Model: 49KS7000 (8000 in the US)
PS4 Pro
Resolution: 3840 x 2160 - 60Hz
Colour Format: RGB
HDR on Your TV: 2K / 4K Supported
HDCP: 2.2

On the TV itself, I have HDMI UHD Color set to On for all the HDMI ports (Does it matter if its on or off, will it make a difference on any of the other HDMI ports bar the one the PS4 Pro is on?)

And on the PS4 Pro video settings I have it seto to Automatic for everything.

I know I need to fiddle with the settings to get to my personal preference, but I'm hoping the information above is all correct before I move on to calibrate it.

daveo42

Banned
I'm never buying another Samsung device ever again. Getting a massive runaround after receiving a defective display. Samsung is a nightmare and shouldn't ever be dealt with.

rcl66

Is there any difference in the HDMI ports? I thought I read somewhere HDMI 4 was better but i can't find it now.

ghibli99

I'm never buying another Samsung device ever again. Getting a massive runaround after receiving a defective display. Samsung is a nightmare and shouldn't ever be dealt with.
I've had 4 Samsung devices fail in the past 5 years (TV and 3 phones). When the TV failed, Samsung actually told us that the part that failed could not be fixed/replaced (even with many other customers experiencing the same problem), and with us out of warranty, that meant buying a new TV. This was after only 2 years of use. As attractive as these sets are, I no longer have confidence in them (their phones and washing machines exploding just adds to it). Sorry to hear about your troubles! :(

Filth

I connected my pc to the ks8000 yesterday for fun to try out 4k gaming. I had battlefied and gears running everything maxed on 4k but incoudnt get the framerate over 30fps. I used the pc hdmi port but wasnt sure if i was in 4:4:4. I have an asus 1080 that should get me over 30 fps. I coudnt tell if i had an incorrect pc setting or incorrect tv setting. It looked fucking gorgeous though

morpix

PSA for everyone in this thread.
Check the Samsung support site and compare the firmware on there vs. what you have on your set. Their OTA updates are unreliable. My TV said "no new firmware" when there's much higher versions on their site.

Filth

PSA for everyone in this thread.
Check the Samsung support site and compare the firmware on there vs. what you have on your set. Their OTA updates are unreliable. My TV said "no new firmware" when there's much higher versions on their site.

Ack. Could you link ?

morpix

Awesome thanks. Im assuming update through usb stick?

Yup, just extract it to a FAT32 USB stick and the TV should pick it up easy. I've turned off automatic updates as I don't trust it anymore. I just check the support site every month or so.

I connected my pc to the ks8000 yesterday for fun to try out 4k gaming. I had battlefied and gears running everything maxed on 4k but incoudnt get the framerate over 30fps. I used the pc hdmi port but wasnt sure if i was in 4:4:4. I have an asus 1080 that should get me over 30 fps. I coudnt tell if i had an incorrect pc setting or incorrect tv setting. It looked fucking gorgeous though

Do you have AA turned off? I get 60 in Battlefield no problem with just AA turned off and a couple other things at Medium using a 980ti.

Also you can check if it's 4:4:4 in the Nvidia control panel.

Filth

Do you have AA turned off? I get 60 in Battlefield no problem with just AA turned off and a couple other things at Medium using a 980ti.

Also you can check if it's 4:4:4 in the Nvidia control panel.

Thats one thing i thought of when i disconnected everything. I had it on 16x lol.

NYHorn36

So I have a question. When I turn on the PS4 and the white logo is in the middle of the dark black screen, the whiteness kind of glows up and down the screen from it while everywhere else it's still black. This also happened in Shadow of Mordor when it loads the game with the white loading circle in the lower right kind of lights up that whole corner.

Is it supposed to do this? I'm still at work and can't load a pic but I'll try later if needed.

Did anyone else wall mount their TV? I have a Sanus well mount that I used for my JS9000 but I'm not sure if we are supposed to have special inserts? I guess you would call them as outlined in the manual. I've never seen such a deep inset mounting solution on bottom with the top being so shallow.

Also glossy plastic sucks.

Edit: wow nevermind came with the set. My M8 screws just aren't long enough.

So I have a question. When I turn on the PS4 and the white logo is in the middle of the dark black screen, the whiteness kind of glows up and down the screen from it while everywhere else it's still black. This also happened in Shadow of Mordor when it loads the game with the white loading circle in the lower right kind of lights up that whole corner.

Is it supposed to do this? I'm still at work and can't load a pic but I'll try later if needed.

Yep that's what edge-lit TVs do, and is one of the knocks against this Samsung series. The comparable Vizios have great local dimming because they aren't edge-lit.

Crap crap I snapped a picture of the Screw length and type of the 55" KS8000 but it didn't save apparently.

I'm pretty sure the length said 43-45mm

Edit: I got 48mm M8 Panheada, fingers crossed.

tommyguns

Okay I give up. What am I missing. I have tried numerous games in HDR. Forza, gears of war 4 on the Xbox one. With the PS4 Pro, infamous, last of us, ratchet and clank.

I can flip HDR on and off and the picture is so similar. All I see is everyone claiming how amazing HDR is. I don't know what is going wrong.

v0mitg0d

Question:

Setting up my Pro and RGB is greyed out under video options. Updated thePro to the latest firmware. Suggestions?

So I have a Pro and its outputting 4K 60fps to my KS7500 (UK). But I can't get Game Mode to work. The only thing I can think is that because I'm going through a Denon AVR X2200W receiver it's screwing the signal up. But it shouldn't because the Denon has HDMI through. I'll plug my Pro straight in and see if that works.

Yep it works. I think the problem is the TV regards the receiver as a PC input (my PC is plugged into it) and for reasons I do not comprehend I can only get Game Mode on my PC at 50hz/50fps. So either the receiver is at fault or the TV is. Unless I can think of a workaround.

DBT85

I've had this about them for years. I don't even know why, I've never owned anything of theirs. But when I was looking for a big fridge Samsung do more than most, but I knew I'd regret it if I bought one. Same when picking my 4k tv this week. Samsung is the wildly popular choice but I just knew I would regret letting go and going with them.

The only thing I buy from them is SSDs.

Hope you get your stuff sorted!

Can anyone help? I hooked the Pro up to this TV and supposedly you need to be in movie mode in order to know if HDR will kick in. I put the TV on movie mode, put Infinite Warfare in that is supposed to have HDR, but the backlight won't go to 20 like it's supposed to for HDR. Anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing this all wrong?

lt519

I may be late on this, but I had a destroyed set when it was delivered. I got run around on 4-5 different calls and eventually got something to happen. Start mentioning you want to talk to Executive Customer Service and they'll get it done for you. They are processing a refund now, but unfortunately they wouldn't exchange. Ended up spending a couple hundred more to buy the set from Best Buy instead of dealing with them again and risking the delay of another damaged TV.

I may be late on this, but I had a destroyed set when it was delivered. I got run around on 4-5 different calls and eventually got something to happen. Start mentioning you want to talk to Executive Customer Service and they'll get it done for you. They are processing a refund now, but unfortunately they wouldn't exchange. Ended up spending a couple hundred more to buy the set from Best Buy instead of dealing with them again and risking the delay of another damaged TV.
Are you in the US? Because they absolutely should have offered a replacement. Usually in the UK if something is faulty they'll try for a replacement instead of a refund. As long as less than 30 days have passed either a refund, repair or replacement is possible. After 30 days a replacement is more likely. Then again they may have just been fucking you about because they didn't believe you.
Did you buy it directly from Samsung? I've bought many Samsung tv's over the years and apart from a DLP I bought I've had no issues here in the UK.

With regard to my Game Mode issue, I changed the device type and name in the Source list to Game Console and Receiver. That's worked and now my PC and PS4 Pro are both at 4k 60fps. However I'm sure I tried this before and for some reason the device type changed back from Game Console to PC spontaneously. Something for people to keep an eye on if you're using a receiver for the audio etc.

Good God and I thought the JS9000 was bright and had good contrast when I got it. It isn't quite at perceived difference levels of OLED. But this is pretty great.

daveo42

Banned
I've had this about them for years. I don't even know why, I've never owned anything of theirs. But when I was looking for a big fridge Samsung do more than most, but I knew I'd regret it if I bought one. Same when picking my 4k tv this week. Samsung is the wildly popular choice but I just knew I would regret letting go and going with them.

The only thing I buy from them is SSDs.

Hope you get your stuff sorted!

Thanks. FedEx basically called bs on what Samsung told me in terms of returns and FedEx is now shipping it back Return to Shipper due to Damaged on Delivery. Best experience out of all of this was with a Supervisor at FedEx who actually helped me get most of this sorted. The Ecomm Dept at Samsung sounds like the most anti-consumer place on the planet.

I did get a pretty sweet deal on an SSD for my PS4 Pro. Now I have to decide if I want to stick with probably the best 4k set and just spend more to pick one up at Best Buy, get another brand (probably Sony) or wait till next year.

Are you in the US? Because they absolutely should have offered a replacement. Usually in the UK if something is faulty they'll try for a replacement instead of a refund. As long as less than 30 days have passed either a refund, repair or replacement is possible. After 30 days a replacement is more likely. Then again they may have just been fucking you about because they didn't believe you.
Did you buy it directly from Samsung? I've bought many Samsung tv's over the years and apart from a DLP I bought I've had no issues here in the UK.

Refund was all they offered to me and I'm in the US. No exchange on the set at all. The last set I had that came damaged was from Sony and it was a few years ago. Basically got white glove service for free when the first set was damaged and I didn't have to ship the old set back. The delivery crew took it when the new one came.

Haines

Banned
Ive seen some people having some issues.

There is a lot of finnicky stuff going on right now, and i would strongly suggest reading through this entire thread from start. Theres a ton of good info.

If anyone has struck gold with some settings, post them up to try and help others understand how to get the most out of the TV

I should repeat, others peoples settings can look worse on your tv, and you should try and calibrate with something like a disney WoW disc

When HDR is on with ps4 pro do people increase back lighting to 20 manually? It's at 13 by default.

If you have the TV in movie mode, HDR increases the backlight automatically. If in game mode you need to manually increase it to 20. Just once though as it will save the setting.

lt519

US and direct from Samsung. Long story short I spent so much time and effort dealing with them, just getting a refund was a victory. I asked about the exchange but in the end I didn't want to fight for it because an extra hundo to have it for the weekend and not deal with them again was worth it.

bar mitzvah

Neo Member
Annoying thing - when I am in game mode, it doesn't automatically switch the brightness back down to 7 when I am not in an HDR enabled game. In movie mode, it switches it perfectly.

So the process ends up being that I need to keep turning up and down the brightness manually. Not super enjoyable.

Snarts

Banned
Does anyone have an issue where if they don't have the HDMI UHD Color option on that they experience some sort of vsych issues/screen tearing when ever panning the camera?

If you have the TV in movie mode, HDR increases the backlight automatically. If in game mode you need to manually increase it to 20. Just once though as it will save the setting.

Shouldn't do. Even in game mode it does it automatically. If it hasn't then HDR isn't enabled

Top Bottom