• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla Cambridge working on “high profile, multi-million selling franchise” (PS4)

It's likely sold better than Titanfall on the Xbox One with 2.1 million copies.

If that's not happening, I don't know what is.

Yeah, that's the ballpark you'd expect from a fps bundled by one of Sony's main devs in a system launch window.

Meanwhile Halo hits 7-8-9 million.

So while it does sell, Sony should be aiming much higher for a franchise in the fps genre, seeing as that is probably still the most popular genre.

They have market leadership now, if they are going to make a fps, it should be one that can sell 5-6 million. But above all, it needs to be really good. I don't think they'll find either of those things in another KZ.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yep. Leave fps to third parties
I still want Sony to get it's equivalent of Halo. A polished, well thought out FPS experience that takes advantage of the hardware. I like both KZ and Resistance a lot but neither lit the world on fire. Cambridge has the talent to make a great FPS and I'd like to see it.

thuway

If Guerilla is making a new FPS game internally, they need to look at just how far the genre has shifted. My issues with Killzone include:

- Lack of a proper co-op at launch of ANY of the mainline titles. (3 launched with local only and no online)
- Lack of vehicular based combat. Seriously, Battlefield is killing you in that department and TitanFall is bringing the heat.
- Poorly thought out upgrade system with n00b unfriendly competitive modes.
- Competent single player stories that find themselves clusterfucking somewhere down the line.
- ABSOLUTELY AWFUL FACIAL ANIMATION- COME THE FUCK ON GG >.< . Tech wizards yes- but you need to hire some animation magicians and sprinkle some of that Naughty Dog magic on top.

If they do another Killzone, it needs to be brilliant, because Shadow Fall was a decent launch title, but it is the Resistance 2 equivalent of the franchise.

I still want Sony to get it's equivalent of Halo. A polished, well thought out FPS experience that takes advantage of the hardware. I like both KZ and Resistance a lot but neither lit the world on fire. Cambridge has the talent to make a great FPS and I'd like to see it.
Yea a halo clone would be great

If Guerilla is making a new FPS game internally, they need to look at just how far the genre has shifted. My issues with Killzone include:

- Lack of a proper co-op at launch of ANY of the mainline titles. (3 launched with local only and no online)
- Lack of vehicular based combat. Seriously, Battlefield is killing you in that department and TitanFall is bringing the heat.
- Competent single player stories that find themselves clusterfucking somewhere down the line.
- ABSOLUTELY AWFUL FACIAL ANIMATION- COME THE FUCK ON GG >.< . Tech wizards yes- but you need to hire some animation magicians and sprinkle some of that Naughty Dog magic on top.
The bold is asking for an entirely different flavor of game, isn't it?

I can definitely grok those other complaints though. I don't think they've had enough time to iterate upon their ideas, outside of probably Killzone 2.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Please, god, no more Killzone.

...Unless it's an XCOM styled spinoff.
Do you mean, like, another Killzone Liberation? Which was awesome? And I loved a lot, even though I don't have a particular passion for Killzone games? I would like that as well

hawk2025

Yeah, that's the ballpark you'd expect from a fps bundled by one of Sony's main devs in a system launch window.

Meanwhile Halo hits 7-8-9 million.

So while it does sell, Sony should be aiming much higher for a franchise in the fps genre, seeing as that is probably still the most popular genre.

They have market leadership now, if they are going to make a fps, it should be one that can sell 5-6 million. But above all, it needs to be really good. I don't think they'll find either of those things in another KZ.

Setting the Halo standard to anything is fucking insanity.

It was bundled with consoles *less* than Titanfall. The point isn't if it can reach Halo, it's whether or not it's a successful, healthy IP. And it absolutely is.

BeatDizzle

Neo Member
I'd be okay with it being Killzone, as long as it was not a FPS but a TPS.

MW2 in Third-Person Mode was awesome.

Uncharted multiplayer is fun, so I believe Killzone in Third-Person would be bananas.

Setting the Halo standard to anything is fucking insanity.

It was bundled with consoles *less* than Titanfall. The point isn't if it can reach Halo, it's whether or not it's a successful, healthy IP. And it absolutely is.

Well ok, of course it's very rare for a exclusive franchise to hit those figures, which is why I said 5-6 million.

Let's remember though that Killzone was originally meant to be an answer to Halo. Regardless, If every iteration only sells 2-3 million, I don't think that is so great that it can't be put on the backburner for a couple of years.

hawk2025

Well ok, of course it's very rare for a exclusive franchise to hit those figures, which is why I said 5-6 million.

Let's remember though that Killzone was originally meant to be an answer to Halo. Regardless, If every iteration only sells 2-3 million, I don't think that is so great that it can't be put on the backburner for a couple of years.

I'm not even a Killzone fan, so I hope you are right :p

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Please reboot the resistance franchise :)

My thoughts exactly. I really like Killzone but Resistance is the more interesting franchise imo. Resistance 3 is the best FPS I have played since Goldeneye, would kill for another.

Can't believe the hype for the last killzone, it wasn't very good.

Was it really that hyped? All of the previews leading up to release made it out to be average, but pretty. Which was exactly what it was

My thoughts exactly. I really like Killzone but Resistance is the more interesting franchise imo. Resistance 3 is the best FPS I have played since Goldeneye, would kill for another.

zcz081.gif

Gaz_RB

Well they made the best Killzone so it's only best that they should continue on from here. Good developers, I'm glad they have a chance to shine now that they are making a PS4 game.

A new Resistance game not handled by insomniac might actually be great. I'd also love to see the Ratchet iP go to another two studios, both franchises could use a breath of fresh air, imo.

i-Lo

So which division is developing the rumoured WRPG?

PS: Resistance sounds good. Still haven't played the third one...

But Cambridge is where the talent is, such a waste putting them on Killzone.

Mercenary was great though. The Killzone IP has a lot of potential, they just need the right devs and I thinj Cambridge could do really well with it. I'd still prefer Resistance though

But Cambridge is where the talent is, such a waste putting them on Killzone.

The team that made the best Killzone(singleplayer wise, never played multi) can hopefully make a really good one on PS4. The main team gets to go off in a new direction.

Last edited:
We've had sequels to Killzone and Infamous already. Uncharted and Gran Turismo to come and I'm pretty sure a new God of Wart is in the works.

Sony stop.

I wouldn't even mind a fps but please a new franchise. Like I keep repeating, ND could have pumped out Uncharted 4 on PS3 after U3 but instead took a little risk and made a new i.p that's gone on to sell 6 million and won 200 GotY awards.

Come on ffs.

There are plenty of new IPs on the way for the PS4. Sony are one of the best publishers at funding original ideas. Of course big franchises are going to get sequels, but with the likes of Bloodborne, Helldivers, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Driveclub and Knack on the system, you can't accuse Sony of sitting on their hands and just relying on easy sequels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

If they do another Killzone, it needs to be brilliant, because Shadow Fall was a decent launch title, but it is the Resistance 2 equivalent of the franchise.
Everything else I agree with except this. Keep vehicles out. KZ needs to stay infantry focused. Vehicles ruin the vast majority of MP shooters that include them.

I would like a Resistance or Killzone FPS from Cambridge. Both have interesting and detailed histories that could easily be used for a variety of games.

A Killzone RPG in the style of Mass Effect set before the first Vektan-Hg war would also be amazing.

But what I really want is more Resistance.

As someone who was disappointed with KZ3 and based on what I've seen, reviews and comments here have no interest in playing Shadow Fall, part of me hopes that Cambridge take over Killzone and can redeem the series.

I love the aesthetic of the game, I think it has an interesting lore and the gunplay is sublime. Even though Guerrilla created the IP they didn't have the talent to realise its potential and ultimately tainted the series with terrible writing and characterisation and changes to the MP that alienated fans. Not sure how Cambridge could salvage the series after GG messed it up, I think the story arc GG took was a dead end, but would be great if they could.

for me i don't need the game to "light the world on fire". From a quality standpoint. Sony got their "halo equivalent" long ago in killzone.

Top Bottom