• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Controller Thread | Comfy Couch Sold Separately

Tain

This thing seems neat but I'm at work and only got to try like 5 minutes of Half-Life Source.

I really want the controller mapping stuff to be available to normal XInput controllers. It's such a nice solution compared to Joy2Key.

Red

To be fair, BPM UI is still really unfinished. Another baffling omission at this point? Page up and page down don't work! There are mouse buttons to scroll by page, you can use the mouse wheel to scroll by page, you can type a single character and jump to that letter in your library... but no page up or page down function. I have a media remote that maps channel up and channel down to page up and page down. It works great in Kodi/XBMC, but those buttons are useless in steam BPM.

These are such obvious changes that I have to believe they'll eventually come. I think they've just been concentrating on other things ATM.

For me, if I play a game in a window, BPM just appears in that window. My first livestream had a bug where I couldn't get the webcam focused on my gamepad to appear over fullscreen games, so I ran them in a window and BPM worked just fine... sometimes.
The most recent updates have improved navigation so much, I am very hopeful about the future.

I want to try another game tonight. Maybe Witcher 1. Something I haven't been able to play on the couch before.
I didn't think it'd feel so comfortable but it really is.

Grip size is nice, but button position is a little weird.

My left stick isn't working in any games. Help!

To expand on that - it doesn't seem like games are seeing it as a gamepad. Anything mapped to keyboard or mouse function is fine, but not pad stuff.

Actually something weirder is happening - it doesn't seem like changing the configuration has any effect! What a pain.

Was it like this from the beginning? Did your controller update? You tried shutting down and restart the controller?

CorySchmitz

I can't get this to work with any game on Mac other than Portal 2... what am I doing wrong? I'm launching games with controller support from BPM but then the controller just does nothing.

It's weird because Portal 2 works great.

Controller impressions after a few hours of use:

The trackpad is in no way accurate enough to replace or compete with a mouse in competitive play as far as I can tell. This is just my impression of the thing after a few hours of use so YMMV. The best thing about the controller surprisingly is the analogue stick. This is the first time I have liked a convex stick. Feels like a Dualshock 2/3 with higher quality rubber. The texture around the edge is a very nice touch. The triggers are a bit of a let down. Was excited to hear that Valve were trying dual stage triggers. But the analogue stage is far too shallow. Maybe I am just used to the way the GC triggers felt but I was expecting a longer trigger stage. The bumpers feel a bit meh too, very little travel in them. Considering the weird shape of the thing it is unusually comfortable. Doesn't quite fit into the hand like a Wii U Pro controller, but comfy nonetheless.

As far as specific game impressions go:

Witcher 3 - immediately feels better with a Steam controller than either a KB&M or a 360 controller.

CS:GO - trackpad is much more accurate than a gamepad, but still leagues behind a mouse. The controller wobbles a bit when clicking in the right trigger to fire causing the position of your finger on the trackpad to wobble which interferes with pinpoint aiming. This might be fixable with an increased deadzone, but that would probably sacrifice accuracy.

Axiom Verge - despite the lack of a real d-pad this game feels good on the controller. Weapon switching with the trackpad can be a bit fiddly, but it was fiddly with a stick too.

RE4 - The default binding work like the 360 controller, but I spent some time trying to make the controller feel more like the setup they had with the Wii version, which I think still controls the best out of any of them. Hadn't much luck, but the range of configuration options is incredibly impressive. I have no doubt someone will make a great binding set for this game.

Ultra Street Fighter IV - indistinguishable from a 360 controller.

Arkham Knight - Works well with the "Gamepad + High Precision Camera" template. Feels alot better than using either a KB&M or a 360 controller. When using this mode however the button prompts flip between KB&M and gamepad buttons which is quite distracting. Would be relatively simple to fix this with native Steam controller support though.

Ground Zeroes - Can't mix Gamepad and KB&M bindings so you're stuck with emulating the right stick with the right trackpad. This works, but isn't ideal. This is Ground Zeroes' fault for not allowing multiple simultaneous input methods, so not an inherent controller problem.

Terraria - bit of a mess to play on the Steam controller, but the control scheme on KB&M isn't great either.

I don't know of any games that implement native Steam controller support yet (does anyone on GAF know of any?) so all the games tested are using the legacy mode. I have no doubt that when games start using the full controller API that a lot of the software problems of the controller will disappear.

TL;DR - I like the controller and it has lots of potential, but it has some rough edges. Triggers could've been better. I guess they can look at them for Steam Controller v2.

Nzyme your support page link doesn't work for me. Says access denied. This however works: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2754-YPKV-8614

Also, you might want to emphasize on top that this will definitely be rough experience at least till Nov 10 and people should expect hiccups, and maybe should opt-in to the beta. And they should definitely submit their feedback and bug reports. Oh, and among the first things they should update their controller when they get it.

Just started using it so from the start. Controller is fully updated. Tried restarting.

Hmm, did you opt-in to the beta? No idea otherwise, don't have the controller. Hopefully Krejlooc will step in.

I don't know of any games that implement native Steam controller support yet (does anyone on GAF know of any?) so all the games tested are using the legacy mode. I have no doubt that when games start using the full controller API that a lot of the software problems of the controller will disappear..

Portal 2 and Cook, Serve, Delicious! off the top of my head. Chubigans wrote a guide for CSD: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=534196039 There might be some others as well. Most of them might just add the prompts etc to it for a start, and might not necessarily use advanced features people can't access with legacy mode.

Qassim

Using Krejlooc's config for MGSV, works really well, just need to unlearn 100+ hours of Xbox controller layout to reduce my error rate.

This is the type of thing that the Steam controller can really shine at, I think (games that have controller + kb/m support. Because I feel more comfortable in a game like MGSV with the analogue movement I choose the controller, but aiming with an analogue stick is terrible - this brings the best of both worlds! :D

My initial impressions overall are pretty good, I think it has some rough edges that'll naturally get ironed out over time (more time to develop great community configs, official dev support, etc). I'm quite happy with it overall, initial learning curve was ultra steep for me, but I've gotten over that within the hour I've spent actually using it.

I can't wait to try mine tonight for MGSV. It's apparently out for delivery so it should be there by the time I get home tonight.

MNC

This thing seems great. At boot it started going haywire though. Hope using it through steam and such it will be fixed.

Tak3n

Banned
a good sensible video by EG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-3Qwffu-NQ

the general consensus was that they found it 'interesting' and it will require brain re-mapping, they are not sure where it will fit in yet....

They found the controller was superb at turn based games, and that was where it really shined...

CS:Go....nope

However I feel if every reviewer is going to use CS:Go as the yard stick they are being wholly unfair as quite simply nothing short of direct brain infusion would improve on a M/Kb on that game

rje

Just got my retail steam link and steam controller -- can't wait to set it up!

Pleasantly surprised that the steam link includes an ethernet cable, hdmi cable, and international power plug endings for the power plug adapter. I had forgotten how nice it is when hardware comes with all the extras like that.

Krejlooc

Banned
To expand on that - it doesn't seem like games are seeing it as a gamepad. Anything mapped to keyboard or mouse function is fine, but not pad stuff.

Actually something weirder is happening - it doesn't seem like changing the configuration has any effect! What a pain.

What games are you trying?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Pretty impressed with the Link so far. I have it hooked up to WiFi for now and it's having no issues streaming. I will likely wire it directly just in case. It's a good value for what it does.

My impression of the controller is a little more mixed. I was expecting to be using it as a mouse through the UI, not with the analog stick. I was also expecting way more sensitivity from the right track pad. It feels like a half-step toward something more useful. I think their original ideas would have been more welcome for me. I need to spend more time with it to see if I can get accustomed to its quirks.

R3TRODYCE

So I'm looking at the back of my box and it says it comes with a cable and some other thing but my box only had the controller and a pair of batteries. Is that normal or am I going crazy?

rje

So I'm looking at the back of my box and it says it comes with a cable and some other thing but my box only had the controller and a pair of batteries. Is that normal or am I going crazy?

Check the little blue box insert in the back, should have the extender and a usb cable

Edit: you have to lift up the cardboard bit that was holding the controller

hepburn3d

Is it possible for me to make up on the d pad a keyboard key as well as trigger a shift mode so the right touch pad is no longer a mouse but a right stick? :) just curious

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

Mine is also missing the usb cable.

I was notified to connect the controller to the host pc to do a firmware update. I've connected with no sign of it actually updating.

Edit: I was wrong, I checked where rje posted and it was there. Sneaky!

Krejlooc

Banned
Is it possible for me to make up on the d pad a keyboard key as well as trigger a shift mode so the right touch pad is no longer a mouse but a right stick? :) just curious

Not the up position specifically, but you can make either pressing the left pad or resting a thumb on the left pad be a trigger for mode shifting the right pad.

Krejlooc

Banned
Mine is also missing the usb cable.

I was notified to connect the controller to the host pc to do a firmware update. I've connected with no sign of it actually updating.

Your usb cable is under the white piece of molded plastic in the box.

You need to run steam to do the firmware update.

I picked up my Steam Link and controller from EBGames today (Canada, pre-ordered online for in-store pickup). Can't wait to try it out after work.

Has anyone tried ARK with this yet?

ARK is going to be the first thing I try. I'll let you know how it is. It won't be for a few hours though.

Krejlooc

Banned
Holding down the Steam button turns off the controller. Why are you guys even going into Steam to turn it off hahahaa

Because if you hold down the button to turn it off in-game, it brings up the bpm ui and you cant exit out of the ui without turning the controller back on.

Which is annoying for things like kodi, where you would want the controller off when not using it.

hepburn3d

Sigh so using the right d pad to shift change the right pad from mouse to sticks seems to disable to the left stick once you let go? Weird bug again I guess. I had the left stick as left stick then suddenly nothing until I go into steam and come back out again

Edit:

Never mind. It was me making the mistake AGAIN. I had it set to 2 left sticks which must have cause some confusion :)

Editx2

Playing elder scrolls online with half controller half m+kb with a console UI is a dream. It works perfectly. Chatting is easy as well with the big picture chat box. Well played Valve, very well played

Just received and opened up my controller. It feels great in the hand, but my couples minutes playing Witcher 3 showed me it will take some getting used to. Pressing the face buttons doesn't feel natural, but I think I'll acclimate.

Krejlooc

Banned
Playing elder scrolls online with half controller half m+kb with a console UI is a dream. It works perfectly. Chatting is easy as well with the big picture chat box. Well played Valve, very well played

When you run into gamepad + mouse games, it is pretty much a revelation. They work soooo well.

Game that is flat out awesome with the controller? Titanfall. Perfect gamepad + mouse.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So in order to update the firmware, you have to be in big picture mode on the host pc. I was not aware BPM was required for the update.

The other thing I have noticed is that the controller feels great when navigating as a mouse. It's not as good as a mouse but it leagues ahead of traditional analog input. I get the feeling this controller will grow on me.

The other thing I have noticed is that the controller feels great when navigating as a mouse. It's not as good as a mouse but it leagues ahead of traditional analog input. I get the feeling this controller will grow on me.

I agree! I've been using an app on my phone as a trackpad-like input, and I could tell instantly that the Steam controller was a better solution. Can you make the trackpad-click an input, though? I won't always want to use the triggers.

MNC

The firmware update was wireless. That was so cool. But I guess each controller configuration is also a firmware upgrade and thus should work wireless. I love it already.

The buttons feel too small and clicking while having my thumb on the touchpad always make me jitter and move a bit. But I love the things this controller is trying (and succeeding in a lot of ways) to do.

Question: How do I start streaming just big picture mode on the host computer? I just tried to exit out of BPM and it said stop streaming for client pc and return to desktop on host pc, meaning I was just streaming BPM.

Unai

RE4 - The default binding work like the 360 controller, but I spent some time trying to make the controller feel more like the setup they had with the Wii version, which I think still controls the best out of any of them. Hadn't much luck, but the range of configuration options is incredibly impressive. I have no doubt someone will make a great binding set for this game.

Did you try Gamepad + High Precision Camera in this one? I don't know if this game supports gamepad + mouse look at the same time. It would be really good if it does.

hepburn3d

When you run into gamepad + mouse games, it is pretty much a revelation. They work soooo well.

Game that is flat out awesome with the controller? Titanfall. Perfect gamepad + mouse.

The accuracy of the trackpad is just miles better than a controller. It's not a mouse but I'd say it's 1 step down from one.

Krejlooc

Banned
Also, guys, try beseige. Impossible with a normal controller, so much fun with the steam controller.

Its an amazing game, too

CorySchmitz

I can't get this to work with any game on Mac other than Portal 2... what am I doing wrong? I'm launching games with controller support from BPM but then the controller just does nothing.

It's weird because Portal 2 works great.

Ok it seems to work fine if I use it plugged in via USB, but when I unplug it it stops working in-game. Also, despite it working while plugged in, Steam says there's no controller detected.

Top Bottom