• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea PC |OT| Save the Prinnies and Grind, Dood

TCGzGRh.png

Disgaea PC - $19.99/£14.99/€19.99 | Disgaea PC: Digital Dood Edition (includes Digital Artbook) - $22.49/£16.99/€20.99

Disgaea finally makes it way to the PC! For those unfamiliar with Disgaea, its a strategy RPG in the veins of Final Fantasy tactics. The main plot revolves around our demon prince, Laharl who has just woken up from his slumber to discover that his father has passed away! Join Laharl and his friends on a quirky coming of age story as he learns what it means to become the Overlord of the Netherworld!

Key Features:
  • An SRPG from the most prolific SRPG creators in the world, Nippon Ichi Software
  • Choose from over 40 unique character types
  • Even with a max level of 9999, use Transmigration to start all over again, but your characters will be even stronger per level!
  • Delve into the Item World, a randomly generated dungeon world, to level up your items!
  • With max level characters and leveled-up items, dish out millions of points of damage!
  • Over-the-top battle animations
  • Geo Panels - A puzzle game within a Strategy RPG
  • Lift & Throw - Throw your allies up ledges to reach enemies in hard-to-reach spots, or toss your enemies around instead!
  • A zany story set in the Netherworld, where the notions of good and evil are reversed
New to Disgaea PC (It's not just a port!):
  • Updated UI and textures
  • Keyboard/Mouse and controller support
  • Includes all content from Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
  • New Steam features, such as Achievements, Cloud Saves, Badges, and trading cards
NOTE: DISABLE SSAO AND UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE STEAM BETA AS BOTH OF THOSE CAUSE PERFORMANCE ISSUES!!

Characters:

Laharl

yQRrcoA.png

Laharl is the son of King Krichevskoy, and is an arrogant twat. But there is a reason for his arrogance, the man is strong as hell so don’t be fooled by his child like appearance. Despite all his power he does indeed have a kryptonite, what is that kryptonite you ask? T&A, like all men!

Etna

6yLfYI4.png

Laharl’s vassal and also the leader of the all mighty, amazing and dope as fuck PRINNY SQUAD! Throughout the journey she becomes Laharl’s closest friend but not as trustworthy as one would hope, after all what can you expect from a demon? She has a carefree personality and often never acts serious. But yo, on some real shit, be careful with google images with this one.

Flonne
TIcVfuV.png

An angel trainee who spews nonsense about being an angel. Shut up Flonne, no one cares that you’re an angel.

Mid-Boss
4i4ss3p.png

He’s a baby back bitch.

Prinnies
1YZrTVV.png

The true MVP of this game. Prinnies are souls who’ve committed sins back when they were alive, that sin can range from theft, or committing suicide. These souls are placed in highly explosive and unstable penguin like suits that automatically blow up when thrown. They’re also required to end all their sentences with the word ‘dood’.

SCREENSHOTS

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Dr Dogg
Dsyndrome
and of course, prinnies

K, so like go buy Disgaea now and tell everyone how great it is.
#savetheprinnies

Dsyndrome

From NIS America:
Greetings Everyone!

Welcome to another update for Disgaea PC! Again, we want to make sure that the Disgaea PC community is being heard, so we will continue to post announcements regarding updates and concerns that the community has mentioned. We're reading all the threads and appreciate your feedback, but please remember to keep threads on topic and treat others with respect. I will proceed to take action if necessary.

We are planning on releasing an update by March 2nd. The release date for this update is subject to change, but we’ll definitely announce any changes through our announcements.

According to the thread posted by LordCastellian, a good handful of Disgaea PC users were able to fix the FPS drops. While this may be a temporary fix for some, we understand that this may not be the most viable option for everyone as it does not guarantee a better FPS rate. We are still researching this issue and added this to our FAQ thread as a temporary FPS rate fix.

Currently, our development team is looking into these five issues:
1.) FPS is low even on high-end PCs
2.) Maintaining controllability during slowdowns
3.) SSAO issues
4.) Performance changes when a controller/gamepad is detected
5.) Increasing GPU usage
For the March 2nd update, we are planning on addressing the following:
Maintaining controllability during framerate drops
Adding a warning message when turning SSAO on
Fixing controller issues
Optimizing GPU performance
Things we are currently working on to be addressed in a later update:
Low FPS on high-end PCs
SSAO issues that occur regardless of PC specs
Details on the 5 issues below:
1.) FPS is low even on high-end PCs
This is one of our biggest concerns at the moment, as it has become a common topic within the Disgaea PC community. We were not aware of this issue during testing, and were only made aware of it through user feedback. Our devs have noted this issue on their end and are working hard to address this in future updates. Please note that this issue is ongoing and it may take a little more time to address and pinpoint exactly what is causing this issue. We apologize for this unforeseen complication and are doing everything in our power to create a fix.
2.) Maintaining controllability during slowdowns
This issue is related to issue 1, and we are looking into minimizing the stress caused by this issue. Our plan for addressing this problem is to allow the game to skip frames when slowdowns occur to maintain controllability of the game.
3.) SSAO issues
This is an issue that is happening mostly on PCs with integrated graphics. For the update, we will include a message when a user tries to turn SSAO on with a computer that doesn’t have the required specs to run the game.
4.) Performance changes when a controller/gamepad is detected
We plan to improve performance on many PCs that are experiencing framerate drops when a controller is not plugged in.
5.) Increasing GPU usage
We are looking into increasing performance on GPUs. We plan to look into this issue extensively and release gradual performance updates.
There have been a lot of changes within the past three days and I’m sure it has been an emotional roller coaster for many people, but again, we want to stress that our community is extremely important to us. Our company strives to continue to bring awesome titles to Steam and we hope for more great titles to come.

Thanks for your time, patience and understanding, dood! Have a great weekend!

Best,
Robbie
Haven't gotten too far into the game thus far; is it permadeath FE style?

Sora_N

It's not permadeath.

I already own this game on PS2, PSN (PSP), PSP Physical, and DS. I'll probably buy it again someday during a steam sale. :)

Nice to see the PC port wasn't bad after all...

Disgaea is probably the only SRPG series I can play, so I'll probably be getting this. Hopefully we get the sequels someday as well.

kierwynn

I ordered the physical LE, so I have the game installed already, but I probably won't play it for awhile. I'm knee deep in Fire Emblem right now and I just played it for like the 10th time last May. It's such a fun game, though, so if there is anyone who hasn't played it yet, be sure to check it out!

I've been getting back into the swing of things, and even managed to get another long-time Disgaea fiend back on the Grind-pipe thanks to the PC release.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
It has sold 30k according to Steamspy after 3 days but remember that the numbers isn't stable or even close to 100% accurate this early.

So looks to me like it's selling well.

xzeldax3

I'm really glad that the devs are jumping on issues quick. Hopefully the major issues can be fixed and it won't destroy the franchise's future on PC.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Going to pick this game up once they fix the PC port.

Does this version have the extra content from the DS version?
I'd like to know conclusively about this, it won't influence my decision on a purchase but I'd like to know.

well idk what the extra content is that was included in the DS version but this is a port of the PSP version which at the time was the definitive edition (now you can say this one is :p). So, this one has Etna mode and all that extra shit. here's how to unlock Etna mode on the pc: http://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/0/458606248641369800/#p2

Durante

I'm really surprised the game is using OpenGL. Either they are planning to release a Mac/Linux/SteamOS version or they simply thought it was easier to port from whatever API the original was using.

I'm really surprised the game is using OpenGL. Either they are planning to release a Mac/Linux/SteamOS version or they simply thought it was easier to port from whatever API the original was using.

yo Durante do you know how to speed up the text speed in the game? the text speed is soooooooo slow imo.

Durante, I'm curious -

What are your thoughts on the fact that instead of having resolution options or a fixed internal resolution, the game takes the window resolution, then renders at the nearest integer to the PSP's resolution, and then upscales or downscales from there?

I sorta get the idea that it got across to NIS that people want variable render resolution, but they didn't realize that tends to imply being able to actually select what resolution you want.

Durante, I'm curious -

What are your thoughts on the fact that instead of having resolution options or a fixed internal resolution, the game takes the window resolution, then renders at the nearest integer to the PSP's resolution, and then upscales or downscales from there?

I'll tell you what I think, its god-like. now tell me, when are you planning on buying disgaea pc? if you already did, thank you for your service, the prinny gods offer their gratitude.

I'll tell you what I think, its god-like. now tell me, when are you planning on buying disgaea pc? if you already did, thank you for your service, the prinny gods offer their gratitude.

Are you forgetting that for the past two days I was the ONLY guy on GAF defending this port until the news of the Steam beta issue was discovered and I was vindicated?

Are you forgetting that for the past two days I was the ONLY guy on GAF defending this port until the news of the Steam beta issue was discovered and I was vindicated?

well, I was banned for a week so no, i didn't. :p
Thank you for your service. Keep fighting the good fight! #savetheprinnies

epmode

Durante, I'm curious -

I sorta get the idea that it got across to NIS that people want variable render resolution, but they didn't realize that tends to imply being able to actually select what resolution you want.

Seems pretty weird to me. Is there any reason they can't patch the game to support arbitrary resolutions? Native 1440p would be nice.

I wasn't cheerleading but it seemed like a decent/good port to me. You can check the old thread I guess.

Durante

Durante, I'm curious -

Well, there might be some limitation of the renderer somewhere which makes that behavior desireable. Or they believe that they can get the best quality out of the 2D assets this way (due to integer factor scaling).

There most be some reason for it, since doing this is actually more effort than simply rendering at any given resolution. (It's also not a bad thing IMHO, but ideally people should be able to decide for themselves what internal rendering resolution factor they want)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Is it? I guess that makes my "no, it's not gonna to get a Linux port" reply to someone elsewhere pretty stupid in hindsight if it does get a port within this year.

Teknoman

What would SSAO even do for a game like this? Honest question.

That being said, i'm not on the steam beta, got Vsync and SSAO turned off, and it still seems to be moving at 60ish but with some strange slow motion effect?

EDIT: Scratch that, it was dropping to 40 in the main hall when the fps meter was on.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This OT looks like it was made by a bunch of incompetent penguins.

Oh wait it was

I have the game on the PSP and I prefer playing my S-JRPGs on a handheld. But I never started with these series. I have two questions: Are there any selling points in this release that I should consider an "upgrade" to the PC version? And as a newbie to the series, should I start with this one or is one of the sequels a better entry to start with? These are time consuming games, I probably won't play them all.

I own 1-2 for the PSP, 3-4 for the Vita, D2 for the PS3 and 5 for the PS4.

One thing that I appreciate is that when you've become acclimated to the games, grinding is a lot faster and simpler because you know the optimal way to do it kinda. Like, if you know what a Statistician is and how to get it, you're already on your way.

Eila

is this or the psp/Vita version better to get into the series with

This is a port of the PSP version, so this is better.

I have the game on the PSP and I prefer playing my S-JRPGs on a handheld. But I never started with these series. I have two questions: Are there any selling points in this release that I should consider an "upgrade" to the PC version? And as a newbie to the series, should I start with this one or is one of the sequels a better entry to start with? These are time consuming games, I probably won't play them all.

I own 1-2 for the PSP, 3-4 for the Vita, D2 for the PS3 and 5 for the PS4.

Well, it runs at higher resolutions and it has a new UI in HD which means high-res fonts, art, etc.
It also has new graphic options that I turned all off, because they make the game look worse, somehow.

B.K.

well idk what the extra content is that was included in the DS version but this is a port of the PSP version which at the time was the definitive edition (now you can say this one is :p). So, this one has Etna mode and all that extra shit. here's how to unlock Etna mode on the pc: http://steamcommunity.com/app/405900/discussions/0/458606248641369800/#p2

If this is a port of the PSP version, then it doesn't have everything. The DS version had a few extra characters and dungeons.

The PSP version. It actually works.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

This, obviously.

Disagree. If you have a Vita just jump right into 3 or 4. The stories in these games are completely nonsensical and unrelated for the most part, you're here for the weird ass battle mechanics and systems. They just get better as the series goes on and it's great on handhelds.

That said I never played the first game or this. I REALLY hope they bring the rest to PC. Looks like this is sitting at about 30k sales right now which I would imagine they're happy with that.

Teknoman

I still have the PS2 version, but once they fix this, i'm gonna definitely dig in. Especially since its even more convenient with steam.

manfestival

Bought this game twice. Not sure I want to go buy it ANOTHER time. Especially since I still need to finish playing disgaea 5. Maybe at a later time? I do really hope that this does well and that these games start coming to the pc.

Wanting to get into this series for a while now, looks really cool.

How hard is it for someone that doesn't play SRPG's a lot? I only played some Fire Emblem games.

dude

dude

How hard is it for someone that doesn't play SRPG's a lot? I only played some Fire Emblem games.
I played it only on the PS2 and found it rather easy most of the time. At the later stages I had to grind a bit, but the "strategic" element wasn't very hard as far as I remember.

As much as I loved the game on PSP I don't know if I'll buy the PC port. I kinda prefer this on handled. It was for the same reason I didn't play much of Disgaea 3 on PS3 (but 150h+ on the vita version).
Still, I'd like to see for myself what's new in this port. Will wait for a sale :p

FLD

The PSP version of this game was my very first SRPG and I managed just fine. The game has a ton of depth but just playing through the story doesn't require an incredible amount of skill. You might need to do a little grinding here and there but that's about it.

aravuus

Hope someone comes up with a cheat that shares the EXP from kills between all party members in the battle or something. Disgaeas are super fun games, but the way they handle experience gain is probably the most annoying I've seen in SPRGs.

The PSP version of this game was my very first SRPG and I managed just fine. The game has a ton of depth but just playing through the story doesn't require an incredible amount of skill. You might need to do a little grinding here and there but that's about it.

I played it only on the PS2 and found it rather easy most of the time. At the later stages I had to grind a bit, but the "strategic" element wasn't very hard as far as I remember.

Thanks! Will give it a try then.

Have anyone managed to get this to work with a Steam Controller? On release, it would just keep scrolling down in the menus when the SC was turned on, but now it either doesn't recognize it at all, or the controller runs as a mouse / keyboard, but buttons don't work.

Pachimari

Nice with an OT. I'm gonna grab this game tomorrow, just because NISA are doing such a good job supporting it, and listening to their community.

I watched a gameplay vid for the PC version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2cqWrxrj3Y It shows for example the additional graphic settings.

The new UI is nice, but most new settings makes the game looking worse imho. Fortunately you can turn them off. Since I prefer portability, I will remain with the psp version then. I'm just curious now If this versions runs with 60fps aswell. Anybody knows?

Top Bottom