• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea PC |OT| Save the Prinnies and Grind, Dood

FLD

Ucchedavāda;196995670 said:
Have anyone managed to get this to work with a Steam Controller? On release, it would just keep scrolling down in the menus when the SC was turned on, but now it either doesn't recognize it at all, or the controller runs as a mouse / keyboard, but buttons don't work.

I had the same problem. I didn't get any weird behavior like constant scrolling in the menus but the game just straight up wouldn't respond to the controller. I ended up having to rebind the controller's buttons to the keyboard keys for it to work. WASD to the dpad, accept/cancel to A and B, etc...

I love that I was able to do that so effortlessly directly through Steam, without having to use any third-party software. But since the game thinks I'm using a keyboard, I get keyboard button prompts, which is kind of annoying. Their decision regarding gamepad support is the one area of the port that really disappointed me.

I'm just curious now If this versions runs with 60fps aswell. Anybody knows?

if the PC version runs at 60? if thats what you're asking then yea it does. Idk about the psp one but from what i remember I don't recall framerate issues. its turn based so you don't really need dat 60fps as long as the game isn't running slow imo.

Dinjoralo

Ucchedavāda;196995670 said:
Have anyone managed to get this to work with a Steam Controller? On release, it would just keep scrolling down in the menus when the SC was turned on, but now it either doesn't recognize it at all, or the controller runs as a mouse / keyboard, but buttons don't work.

I wasn't having any problems with me steam controller, last time I checked. Though I was having it entirely send keyboard/mouse input.

cj_iwakura

Nah this one is but I'm one of the people who has had 0 problems but once it's all patched up it should be the best hands down.

But Disgaea on the go! Seriously though, I own it twice, I don't need a third. :p PS2 and PSP, I'll always keep the PS2 version for Tsunami Bomb.

Disgaea 2, on the other hand... I'd consider it.

Protip for new players: item world is your friend. You can easily get new characters up to your team's par by keeping them in the back. Massive XP if you go into high level items.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
But Disgaea on the go! Seriously though, I own it twice, I don't need a third. :p PS2 and PSP, I'll always keep the PS2 version for Tsunami Bomb.

Disgaea 2, on the other hand... I'd consider it.

I can play it on my laptop. :p Also not a fan of handhelds because motion sickness makes playing stuff on the bus a bit puke inducing due to motion sickness (tried medicine to help with this but it didn't work.), but I already have the PSP version though and thats what got me into the series initially.

mfaex

dood, I didn't even know we had a Disgaea PC OT.

Sucks the steam beta client crushed the release. Hope enough sell to get the rest ported.

I'm near the end of story. I didn't grind out the superbosses on ps2. Think I will here.

Dinjoralo

It is now. Has anyone had problems with the game after opting out of the steam beta client?

I was still having problems. My problems being the game running in super slow-mo for about a minute after starting the game, plus general framerate drops and some buggy effects here and there.

Hopefully one day the PC version will be :(

It's really not that far from being the definitive version. It only needs better KB/M responsiveness and better controller support. I'm not even talking about the Steam controller, just better 360 controller support would suffice. They don't need to spend a single man hour trying to make SSAO/DoF look good because I honestly don't need either of those options. Finally I just need a quick 'reset' shortcut in case I step into a long cutscene when I didn't mean to and I want to reload and skip it.

Nirran

Steam beta just got an update saying improved fps in certain games. Maybe this was the fix for Disgaea? Haven't gotten to test it out yet to see.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Got my eye on this game. Will most certainly play it after the two Trails games on Steam.

How does Disgaea compare to Legend of Heores Trails in the Sky? They're both SRPGs but which one is generally considered better overall?

DiGiKerot

Got my eye on this game. Will most certainly play it after the two Trails games on Steam.

How does Disgaea compare to Legend of Heores Trails in the Sky? They're both SRPGs but which one is generally considered better overall?

Completely different genres, honestly. I probably wouldn't classify Trails as an SRPG by any stretch - it's a traditional RPG through-and-through. Which one is better depends entirely on what you are looking to play.

Dinjoralo

There's now a setting called "Optimize CPU" that they recommend off for integrated graphics users. I haven't tried it on my main machine, but it's running surprisingly well on my non-gaming laptop...

mfaex

New patch broke steam overlay. I don't get the black line down my screen when turning on SSAO anymore.

Was checking to see if there were any patch notes myself, doesn't seem to be. But as mentioned above, new option titled "Optimize CPU" which seems to improve performance if you have a dedicated video card. Steam overlay does not work now though :(

Dinjoralo

Yeah, my game is running a hell of a lot better now. However, the busted steam overlay means my steam controller won't work. Damn...

mfaex

http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/907844751362726919 Patch notes.

Hi Everyone!

The patch (03-02-16) officially launched this morning at 10:00 A.M. PST. Before we address issues that people are currently experiencing, we want to point out the specific fixes mentioned in our last announcement that our dev team was able to implement as shown below:

1.) Maintaining controllability during framerate drops
a. When framerate drops, the game will skip frames, allowing users to maintain control.
2.) Adding a warning message when turning on SSAO
a. There will be a warning message for users who turn on SSAO when using a PC below minimum recommended specs.
3.) Fixing controller issues
a. Prior to the patch, the game would continuously search for a controller, which caused lower FPS rates. We have lowered the amount of times this occurs during in-game, so mouse/keyboard users should have better FPS rates.
4.) Optimizing GPU performance
a. Devs were able to optimize the GPU performance, which in turn, should perform well for many PCs.
5.) Low FPS on high-end PCs
a. We have fixed the problem where the game utilized only one core. This game should now properly utilize more than one core when available.
b. Fixed slowdowns when moving between maps.
c. Included CPU optimization (This option may lower performance depending on PC specs, so this will be a selectable option in the menu).
6.) SSAO issues that occur regardless of PC specs
a. Fixed the issue in which turning on SSAO would create artifacts on screen.
b. Fixed the issue in which SSAO causes the screen to go black on PCS with Intel GPUs.
7.) Other fixes
a. When playing the game on a PC below minimum specs, a warning message will appear.
b. Fixed some minor issues such as monster cries and text issues.

Additional Information:

Customers using Windows 7 with an Intel® CPU and integrated graphics with outdated drivers:
This will cause a memory leak, causing the game to eventually crash. Please make sure to download and update your drivers at Intel’s website. This link[www.intel.com] directs you to the Intel® Driver Update Utility, which will scan your computer and check for possible updates.
As mentioned on the previous post, opting out of the “Steam Client Beta Participation” will fix FPS issue. If you are not aware about this issue, please click on here for step by step instructions on how to disable the “Steam Client Beta Participation.”
We are aware that this patch has disabled the Steam overlay and is causing issues with in-home streaming and screenshots. We are working on a solution to this.
Lastly, we are aware that people are having issues entering “Cave of Ordeals 3” as it crashes upon loading. We will send this to our dev team right away to get this fixed, so please stay tuned for further updates.

We are extremely grateful for the support of the Disgaea PC community and we hope to continue to reach out to the community to get more issues fixed. Though the launch of this patch may alleviate some major issues the community is experiencing, we are aware that there are other issues that need to be addressed and hope to see to them in future patches. We are dedicated to bringing you the best possible experience on Steam, so thanks again for everyone’s time and support!

Best,
Robbie

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Bought it since it seems like they are working on it. Love me some Disgaea, just recently finished 5 (well finished for what I wanted from it lol)

Dinjoralo

Awesome, they're aware of the issues caused by this patch. Hopefully, the next game they bring over will have all of these fixes brought in tow.

So, uh... When should I bother with the item world? I'm still at Vyer's castle, I haven't been playing much 'cuz I was waiting for a patch.

Awesome, they're aware of the issues caused by this patch. Hopefully, the next game they bring over will have all of these fixes brought in tow.

So, uh... When should I bother with the item world? I'm still at Vyer's castle, I haven't been playing much 'cuz I was waiting for a patch.

I'd enter the item world ASAP, just make sure you have a decent mix of 10 characters (prinnys don't count) and make sure you understand how to abuse team attacks and lift/throw. The item world is the best source of early-game money, items and exp, particularly if you're able to create a big geo panel combo.

The drawback is that if you get to floor 9 and wipe you lose all your progress. So yeah you want 10 characters minimum so that on some floors you can just lift/throw shortcut to the exit if your resources are running low.

sfried

I just tried activating V-Sync right now with all of the options turned on. Not a single hitch! Played with both gamepad and mouse+keyboard (although I'm hoping extra mouse buttons can be mapped wo make it completely a mouse-controlled game!).

Dinjoralo

New patch! The steam overlay problems are fixed, and probably some other stuff since this patch is bigger than the last one. Man, NISA are really hoofing it with the patches.

mfaex

Fixed the crashing Cave of Ordeals map and the display error in the Dark Assembly in the new interface (some stats were mixed up).

mfaex

Patch notes: http://steamcommunity.com/games/405900/announcements/detail/907844751362726919

UPDATE: 3/3/16

Steam Overlay bug *FIXED*
"Cave of Ordeal 3" freeze bug *FIXED*
When saving on an existing save data, the save data doesn't save at the selected slot, but creates a new save *FIXED*
- This is most likely occurred because the cursor was off and not responsive to the selected location.
New interface stats display bug *FIXED*
When reaching 100 save datas, game freezes *FIXED*

jjasso21

I tried it out myself. It seems to run rather well. Just had to make sure my Nvidia Card was the default GPU via Global Settings. Good job on the patch so far.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Protip for new players: item world is your friend. You can easily get new characters up to your team's par by keeping them in the back. Massive XP if you go into high level items.

You mean putting them on the map before a full clear happens? If you just run through you don't get EXP. And frankly, can't you just do the same thing in 5-3 and other power-leveling maps?

cj_iwakura

You mean putting them on the map before a full clear happens? If you just run through you don't get EXP. And frankly, can't you just do the same thing in 5-3 and other power-leveling maps?

True, but it's more fun in item world!

And I mean by getting the XP bonuses with geo block chains, mostly.

TheSeks

I guess.

It's been a while since I've played and I forget where the best leveling spots are. I probably should level my party near evenly, but I've just been using the mentor/pupil system to put skills on Laharl and throwing him at enemies to level. hah.

Ive played disgaea so many times and to this day i dont fully understand the geo stuff, thats mainly cause i dont bother to learn tho since i dont mess around with the item world

Ive played disgaea so many times and to this day i dont fully understand the geo stuff, thats mainly cause i dont bother to learn tho since i dont mess around with the item world

It's not that difficult to master, particularly in the first game where the pyramids stay put and there's only like 10 types. The only really tricky parts about Disgaea's Item World this time around is the occasionally impossible map layouts and the fact that the exit can be a geo panel.

TheSeks

It's not that bad here. It's when you play Disgaea 2(?) and beyond where the panel blocks move every turn that it becomes annoying.

"Oh you think you're invincible for leveling? hahaha, now you aren't and you didn't pay attention. Bitch."

cj_iwakura

The best way to make a chain is to ensure the clear GB is on the outside of the map, so it is the last in the chain. Start with a blue GB on a green panel, and try to have a green GB outside of that, so it should go from a green chain to a blue chain again, then whatever you have after it.

Momentary

Banned
With the update the game locks to 48 fps with VSYNC on and is a jittery mess with it off but it says 60 fps. I'm running a GTX 980m... so power is definitely not the issue.

But SSAO is fixed for me now, but I would rather it be the other way around.

It's good that they are patching this so quickly. Hopefully there's fix for the framerate issue. Going to move this to the try later in 2 weeks pile.

TheSeks

Oh-ho-ho. I forgot all about that item world lock in Chapter 3.

Oh well, gives me a reason to dump some hours into the Item World now. Especially as I have a few Mr. Gency Exits.

hesho

i gotta say, NISA is clearly showing they devotion to the pc section which kinda surprises me. I was expecting them to treat the release like tecmo koei does with their release. I admit though, i am still on the fence about buying it though since quad dipping is... too much.

Teknoman

orm85oL.jpg
Arrived. Art book is pretty cool, and its always nice to have a full physical OST.

cj_iwakura

i gotta say, NISA is clearly showing they devotion to the pc section which kinda surprises me. I was expecting them to treat the release like tecmo koei does with their release. I admit though, i am still on the fence about buying it though since quad dipping is... too much.

Triple for me, I would never touch Disgaea DS.

If Prinny hit the PC though... I would be on that in a nano. Easily the best non-Disgaea title they've ever made. It would be perfect with the Super Meat Boy crowd.

Falk

that puzzling face
When stuff like HDN and Valkyria Chronicles PC sales (discounts regardless) dwarf your sales numbers on your primary platforms you'd better figure you want to go all-in and ride the gold rush while it's still relatively fresh.

first person to mention Trails SC numbers gets the booterang

When stuff like HDN and Valkyria Chronicles PC sales (discounts regardless) dwarf your sales numbers on your primary platforms you'd better figure you want to go all-in and ride the gold rush while it's still relatively fresh.

first person to mention Trails SC numbers gets the booterang

HDN?

Edit:

Nevermind, figured it out. Noone uses that acronym, Falk!

Durante

Yeah, the initial release issues were regrettable, but actually communicating and being quick to respond goes a long way.

Niche fanbases are often willing to double dip and as it turns out, also own PCs :D

Top Bottom