• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokkén Tournament DX |OT| A Game So Nice, It Has Croagunk Twice

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
First time playing this and going with Suicune.
Any tips on his playstyle?

Yeah I'm sure it'll increase as more get the game over the course of the weekend.

That and I'm sure there's a fair amount of people picking it up for the first time who never played the Wii U version, and probably want to familiarize themselves with the mechanics a bit before just diving headfirst into online. Haven't seen much marketing or hype for it around the web though, so I'm not expecting mind blowing sales but the Pokemon name sells itself, so it might have some decent legs to it in the long term.

JoeM86

Mission Panels are such a slog. Just need to go through Iron League's Panel 2 so I have everything catalogued but yeesh, it's just so dull and painful to get through

MrMephistoX

I really love how true to life the Pokemon are in this game. My dream for the main series, is for it to play as usual, but with animation and fluid attacks like how we see here.

The 3vs3 really makes me yearn for a Pokken sequel that expands on it, too. Very, very dope. Shame it's local only, but I can see a patch in the future.

Hate to burst your bubble but That’s been everyone’s dream since Pokémon Stadium on N64. The current 3DS engine is a good half step in the right direction so hopefully they’ll go all the way on Switch...damnit I just got MVC Infinite don’t need another fighter but I’m this close to buying...

patchday

I really love how true to life the Pokemon are in this game. My dream for the main series, is for it to play as usual, but with animation and fluid attacks like how we see here.

The 3vs3 really makes me yearn for a Pokken sequel that expands on it, too. Very, very dope. Shame it's local only, but I can see a patch in the future.

Wii U never got any DLC or anything which is why I am hesitant to purchase DX. Well at least it's a complete package though

Plus new 3vs3 mode local only is just weird too me

Berordn

Mission Panels are such a slog. Just need to go through Iron League's Panel 2 so I have everything catalogued but yeesh, it's just so dull and painful to get through

I really liked the idea until I realized each league had more than one. Then I saw it for the grind it was.

JoeM86

I really liked the idea until I realized each league had more than one. Then I saw it for the grind it was.

I just need to finish #2 for this then I'm done with the coverage for the most part.

Unfortunately, I'm tired as hell so am not doing my best today

Griss

Ah, I won my first three ranked games online with Blaziken then lost the next three. I thought I was doing good! But the good thing was that I found 6 matches in a row no problem, no waiting. Two of my losses were very close, but I had no idea what to do against Machamp and he basically double perfected me.

Anyway, can anyone offer advice / help with the following?

1. How do you get a better rank in fights? Especially vs the AI where it's nice to make a bit extra money. I always get 5 star attack but defence and technique are always poor. And what's bonus? I don't understand the ranking system at all - seems like you almost have to lose a round and win the 3rd round to have a chance at a good ranking.

2. Is there any consensus on the best cheer / support set? I typically use cheers that boost my synergy but is it better to use one that will max one of the hard-to-charge powerful support pokemon?

Berordn

I am having no luck wrapping my head around Darkrai. It seems like if I can get into Void mode it's easy to take a round, but any sort of rush locks me down hard. Any secrets other than don't get bodied?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone feel like sharing some undocked screenshots? I found the demo way too blurry, so I'm hoping the full game is better. It's the only thing keeping me from picking this up.

Aw man, is Suicune the cheap/noob character?
I just chose him because I like him.

Wheres Dewgong or Samurott? :(

No such thing. Characters like Suicune destroy bad players. If you like Suicune, learn him.

VZZTg9n.jpg

bman94

How's the Pokken Controller D-Pad for traditional 2d fighters? I want to know if it's great for pulling off quarter circles in Ultra Street Fighter 2 and KOF. I read here that the Pro Controller D-Pad is hit and miss.

Ricky 7

I get my butt kicked by the people who know how to use the new Pokemon cus I have no idea what their moves are😓

HyperHip

How's the Pokken Controller D-Pad for traditional 2d fighters? I want to know if it's great for pulling off quarter circles in Ultra Street Fighter 2 and KOF. I read here that the Pro Controller D-Pad is hit and miss.

Dpad is better than some of ninty's best. Pad works well with 4 button fighters.

Primate_Ryan

Neo Member

I bought the Pokken pad last week after learning that it could also be used in other games and tried it out in some fighters. I usually have trouble with quarter circles and similar stuff, but I was able to consistently pull them off in Guilty Gear (the controller also works on your pc ;)) and King of Fighters without any adjustment phase, whereas I was struggling with them before on the controllers for PS3, 360 and PS4. Instead of hitting 4 out of 10 I'm now hitting at least 9 out of 10. A major improvement for me.

The Joycon also work surprisingly well, but it's less pleasant for my fingers.

I'm not a genre veteran though, so these are just impressions from a noob. :D

Kebiinu

Banned
Aw man, is Suicune the cheap/noob character?
I just chose him because I like him.

Wheres Dewgong or Samurott? :(

Lol Suicune is a zoner type character, similar to Gardevoir, Chandelure, Braixen, etc. It's main utility is keep away/spacing and knocking out the opponent with small and huge long range attacks. It has a charge move you can get accustomed to using, the longer you charge, the bigger the move. He also has plenty of combos if they get up close. Familiarize yourself with his long range attacks, find three that suit your playstyle and flexibility, and abuse those as you slowly familiarize yourself with the rest of his attacks.

He's dope.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
No such thing. Characters like Suicune destroy bad players. If you like Suicune, learn him.

Lol Suicune is a zoner type character, similar to Gardevoir, Chandelure, Braixen, etc. It's main utility is keep away/spacing and knocking out the opponent with small and huge long range attacks. It has a charge move you can get accustomed to using, the longer you charge, the bigger the move. He also has plenty of combos if they get up close. Familiarize yourself with his long range attacks, find three that suit your playstyle and flexibility, and abuse those as you slowly familiarize yourself with the rest of his attacks.

He's dope.

Awesome, cheers dudes.
Been a while since I played a fighting game. Really enjoying Suicune so glad to see all the characters are quite reveared .

Menitta

Pikachu's forward A grab can hit confirm into super when in Dual Phase (in field the grab phase shifts and can't combo into it). It does less damage than if it were solo but I've gotten good use out of this.

Can't believe my bro didn't tell me this arrived through the post hours ago, I've only just got my Decideueye on, and I already love acrobatics.
Boy this single player is gonna be tedious to trawl back through a second time though.

Persona7

Banned
Target didn't have any copies (?) so I went to gamestop and they also did not have any because they didn't receive a single pre-order.

Persona7

Banned
What? So they just aren't carrying the game..?

Not really sure. Target might not be stocking the game until the correct workers are scheduled to work. I'm going to try Wal-Mart later. They usually get excessive amounts of any new game. Launch copies of Binding of Isaac are still festering on their shelves.

BiggNife

I get my butt kicked by the people who know how to use the new Pokemon cus I have no idea what their moves are😓
Unfortunately, that's how it goes in fighting games. You're going to lose a lot to a character you're not familiar with at first. What matters is that you identify why you lost and eventually adapt.

I used to fall for Sceptile's fuckin ranged grab every time, now I'm ready for it.

Scizor is such a treat to main.
I have to try to learn how to chain his Swords Dance followups.

By the way, will we have a Group Battle open soon?

Ricky 7

Unfortunately, that's how it goes in fighting games. You're going to lose a lot to a character you're not familiar with at first. What matters is that you identify why you lost and eventually adapt.

I used to fall for Sceptile's fuckin ranged grab every time, now I'm ready for it.

I literally have no idea what's going on when I fight Darkrai lol

Neiteio

What do amiibo give you?

Also, started this last night. Is there a way to disable the time limit in single-player Team Battles?

What do amiibo give you?

Also, started this last night. Is there a way to disable the time limit in single-player Team Battles?

No idea about the second question but if it's the same as WiiU, any amiibo gives you a random unlock of either a title, some money or avatar clothes

bman94

Dpad is better than some of ninty's best. Pad works well with 4 button fighters.

I bought the Pokken pad last week after learning that it could also be used in other games and tried it out in some fighters. I usually have trouble with quarter circles and similar stuff, but I was able to consistently pull them off in Guilty Gear (the controller also works on your pc ;)) and King of Fighters without any adjustment phase, whereas I was struggling with them before on the controllers for PS3, 360 and PS4. Instead of hitting 4 out of 10 I'm now hitting at least 9 out of 10. A major improvement for me.

The Joycon also work surprisingly well, but it's less pleasant for my fingers.

I'm not a genre veteran though, so these are just impressions from a noob. :D

Awesome, wasn't really planning on getting Pokken Tournament this soon since I put a decent amount of time on the Wii U version but now that I know the controller works universally I may just pick it up with the game.

Tyeforce

I can’t figure out how to complete the “Regain Recoverable HP” mission in Blue League - Mission Panel 1 for the life of me. I have to regain 180 or more recoverable HP within 1 round. Anyone have any advice?? I’m trying to use Espeon to recover HP, plus Synergy Burst (‘cause that also recovers HP, correct?), and I swear I’ve recovered at least 180 before but it’s still not marking the mission complete so I must be somehow falling short.

I can’t figure out how to complete the “Regain Recoverable HP” mission in Blue League - Mission Panel 1 for the life of me. I have to regain 180 or more recoverable HP within 1 round. Anyone have any advice?? I’m trying to use Espeon to recover HP, plus Synergy Burst (‘cause that also recovers HP, correct?), and I swear I’ve recovered at least 180 before but it’s still not marking the mission complete so I must be somehow falling short.

use shadow mewtwo then, shadow mewtwo pokemon moves take away health that you can then get back by using recover

Croagunk is fun AF. He's such a troll character too.

Is there anyway to switch character colors for the Poke'mon?

no you are stuck with the one colour unless you have a mirror match, blame TPC for that

They also have that weird armband, not really sure why. A light blue Scizor isn't really going to be indistinguishable from regular Scizor without an armband.

one of the loading screen tries to explain it along the line of digital paint

i would assume the makers is just there to say that the pokemon has been changed to look like this and not it's normal colour

Say, can someone quickly sum up Darkrai? He seems like he'd be to my tastes, but I have no idea how he works. Don't have the DX version but did play the U version, so I understand the basic mechanics.

Top Bottom