• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming June 2017 | What Would Apple Do (WWAD)

Pachimari

Is this that different from say, Windows 95-era PC games not working or able to be played on Windows 7, 8, 10, etc?
But they do work with fixes though. You can't fix anything on iOS. So yes, it's different.

Btw, got beta access to Technobabylon. Let's see what this is about.

What style of combat would you describe Angry Birds Evolution as (the thing where you pull back and your guy like bounces around the battle arena)? This games okay but I wonder if there are any better versions of that mechanic.

PittaGAF

Can't put forma.8 down.
I'm sure I'll regret this tomorrow morning but...wow what a game.
I'm about 3 hours in at 25 percent.
What an atmosphere....what a massive world.
GLORIOUS.

okno

Can't put forma.8 down.
I'm sure I'll regret this tomorrow morning but...wow what a game.
I'm about 3 hours in at 25 percent.
What an atmosphere....what a massive world.
GLORIOUS.

The videos I've watched intrigued me, but the gameplay looks sooooo slow. How does it feel to you? Clearly you enjoy it, and I'm sure I would, too, but it just looks like your character is moving through molasses the whole time.

PittaGAF

The videos I've watched intrigued me, but the gameplay looks sooooo slow. How does it feel to you? Clearly you enjoy it, and I'm sure I would, too, but it just looks like your character is moving through molasses the whole time.

Well I think pacing is great.
At first you just move around exploring (there is a ton of exploring...linear at the start but then it opens up big time), enemies don't pose any challenge because you have all the time to recover and kill them.
The probe reacts to physics (actually everything does) so when underwater you are way slower, not sure if you saw those videos.
3 hours in I started to die pretty consistently, fast dodging around enemies and bosses, I'm probably in a area I'm not supposed to be in.
There are some parts that require perfect controls and timing, they are super frantic (I have yet to beat any of them tough, maybe I need some more powers or I just suck).
But at least at the very start it's a exploration game so you move between screens enjoying the vistas (some are really breathtaking) and solving some light puzzles.
It's no different than Aquaria or Waking Mars if you know them.

The game gets really difficult anyway.

Hope it helps!!!

Matt Frost

Bought Forma.8 and Fowlst

Forma.8: at first i needed to get used the the drone physics, then i discovered a world worth exploring, with puzzles, combat, lore and everything i like about the metroidvania formula. What secrets does it hold? I definitely want to know

Fowlst: nice quircky arcade action

Also... Brawl Stars: having trouble adapting to the controls and things are hectic but is fun

TheExodu5

Banned
Finally starting to feel the age of my Air 1. Forma doesn't run that great (fully playable, but doesn't feel that great). Peak from last week was basically unplayable.

I might just need to stop buying games until I upgrade next year.

PittaGAF

Weird I'm playing on a Air too and I'm not noticing anything strange...plays very well actually... no real difference from my iPhone 6S, but I prefer iPad because you can see much better all the details and graphics effects.

Anyway...I'm now 8-9 hours in and the game keeps getting better and better.
My brain hurts so much....played 3 hours straight.

TheExodu5

Banned
Weird I'm playing on a Air too and I'm not noticing anything strange...plays very well actually... no real difference from my iPhone 6S, but I prefer iPad because you can see much better all the details and graphics effects.

Anyway...I'm now 8-9 hours in and the game keeps getting better and better.
My brain hurts so much....played 3 hours straight.

Feels like 30fps with noticeable frame drops on my end. I feel the controls are quite sluggish as a result. Would be a lot nicer at 60fps. Maybe it's capped at 30fps regardless.

PittaGAF

Feels like 30fps with noticeable frame drops on my end. I feel the controls are quite sluggish as a result. Would be a lot nicer at 60fps. Maybe it's capped at 30fps regardless.

Maybe you are right. Just tried again on iPhone (wish it had iCloud sync but apparently it's coming) and seems more fluid.
Nonetheless I prefer iPad for all the details....just got my second power after an epic boss battle and a nasty puzzle.

What a game.

killercow

Just finished both Monument Valley 2 and FRAMED 2 and I loved both.

Monument Valley 2 is more of the same but without upping the difficulty. Still, it provided me with plenty of amazing visuals, a cute little story and some new gameplay elements that I quite liked. Sure, they could have made it longer or more difficult but I think that goes against the very core of the game. It's great because it's a distilled experience. I'm just sad we didn't get to see
the levels with the blob-like creature that you can see before the child leave with the boat but I'm guessing, since there are holes in the menu, that it's coming as a DLC

FRAMED 2 was quite the opposite. It took the first one's ideas and ran with it. It's considerably more challenging, it's quite longer and the mechanic that it uses do limit the brute force nature (as Pitta said) of the first. It's as stylish as ever and I can't recommend it enough.

Another great month!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Been away from iOS gaming for the most part of the past few years. Just got a new 10.5" Pro. Any recent-ish games that scream to be played on the larger form factor?

PittaGAF

15 hours in, 43 percent.

forma.8 is going straight in my GOTY list.

I thought the game was gloriously throwing at me everything it had at the 35 percent mark.....then I hit 40 percent....WOAH.

My brain is melting tough....some puzzles are incredible (and incredibly difficult).

Awesome.

Supercell has another hit in the making with Brawl Stars. It's a F2P/P2W brawler where you fight 3v3 on a variety of maps with different win conditions. The games last about 2 minutes. It has the same, high level of polish as Clash Royale.

Maps ("events") rotate every 18 hours or so. There are up to 4 events at any time. Events have a limit on how much gold and exp are awarded. The maps/modes that I've played so far are:
- Showdown: 10 brawlers duke it out in an ever shrinking map to be the last man standing. There are destructible crates scattered throughout the map that drop a powerup which boosts your health and attack. Brawlers drop one on death as well.
- Smash & Grab: Collect 10 gems, which spawn in the middle of the map, for 15 seconds to win. Gems are dropped on death.
- Bounty: Kills award stars. The team with the most stars at the end of the game wins. Stars are lost on death.
- ?: One team defends a safe that the other team needs to destroy.

Maps have destructible terrain/objects as well as bushes that hide brawlers from view.

The game has been a lot of fun so far. A lot of the brawlers seem OP at first but I think there's ways to play around them based on the matchup and event.

Unfortunately, it's unapologetically pay to win because of the elixir (consumable) that's used to upgrade a brawler's health, attack, or special attack. Other than that there are booster packs, which are purchaseable with gems (real money) or 100 gold, that contain one brawler or 1-5 elixir. Duplicate brawlers give 1 "chip" that's used to unlock additional brawlers. There's also two coin doubler versions (+50% for 14 days or double the next 1000 coins.

If Supercell keeps this up they'll be the Blizzard of mobile, except for their glaringly unbalanced pay to win approach to mobile games.
If you consider that P2W then CR is the same kind of P2W. I know you can upgrade heroes in BS just like you can upgrade cards in CR.

The concept, though, is that those players who drop a ton of money on upgrading their heroes will be winning more and eventually be placed in a bracket with other high spender players. Just like how CR's trophy system works.

okno

15 hours in, 43 percent.

forma.8 is going straight in my GOTY list.

I thought the game was gloriously throwing at me everything it had at the 35 percent mark.....then I hit 40 percent....WOAH.

My brain is melting tough....some puzzles are incredible (and incredibly difficult).

Awesome.

I just bought this last night and I'm enjoying it (it's absolutely stunning to look at), but, just as I feared, it feels sooo sluggish. Controlling your little robot guy feels like I'm fighting him more than anything. Doing things quickly is a chore. I'm still very much at the beginning of the game, but I'm having a hard time getting through a doorway where I need to light several lanterns up before the lights burn out. The dude just moves soooooo slow... It's really taking my enjoyment down, but I'm so intrigued by the setting and want to explore the gorgeous world that I'm going to persevere.

PittaGAF

I just bought this last night and I'm enjoying it (it's absolutely stunning to look at), but, just as I feared, it feels sooo sluggish. Controlling your little robot guy feels like I'm fighting him more than anything. Doing things quickly is a chore. I'm still very much at the beginning of the game, but I'm having a hard time getting through a doorway where I need to light several lanterns up before the lights burn out. The dude just moves soooooo slow... It's really taking my enjoyment down, but I'm so intrigued by the setting and want to explore the gorgeous world that I'm going to persevere.

I actually did the torch runs early in the game and I don't want to spoil too much...but know that you will become way faster around 30 percent.
At 40 percent the game gains GOTY status imho.
Im at 50 now....SUPER STUCK....can't figure out a puzzle.
But do know I can cruise all levels in less that 10 minutes (and the world is MASSSIVE, you didn't see anything yet).

I actually liked the initial 'slow and relaxed' atmosphere, because things get pretty frantic later on, hope it helps!

Had to restore and lose my data because of a boot loop in the beta. back on 10.3. i missed this great battery life on iPad lol. Also made osme good progress in planescape torment.

Roi

Sooo I just made Apple remove the wrong Apple ID, the one with all my purchases on it I made all these years.. Feels bad man.

Roi

I think you're supposed to shake a customer service rep to undo their action.

Well it started when I had them call me because I wanted to merge 2 Apple ID accounts into 1. Apparently they can't do that so they suggested they could delete one, which I agreed with after agreeing with a long long disclaimer that I can't rewind this process and can't hold them reliable..

PittaGAF

Just completed forma.8

WHAT A GLORIOUS EXPERIENCE.

This game hit all my fav spots, loved every minute of it...from the slow initial exploration to the frantic boss battles to the mind bending puzzles.
All in a wonderful sci-fi wrapping.

One particular scene will be with me the videogame player for a long time, instant classic.

Going back because I've still a puzzle to solve and I wonder what happens if I do.

If anyone here is playing/has completed it....I would love to discuss the ending.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
anyone still have Full of Stars on their phone? updated it today and it crashes whenever i try to boot it up. if i delete the app and reinstall will it most likely lose my progress?

Kingdom Rush's
Demons VS Fairyland
Dungeon Warfare
Cursed Treasure 2
Tiny Guardians
Bloons (Not a fan)
Fieldrunners (Not a fan)

They're the main ones I can think of.
Crystal Siege
Anomaly Defenders
Over The Top Tower Defense

These are more arcade games with a tower defense theme to them:
Warcher Defender
Bardbarian
Castle Doombad

awp69

Not so sure about The Little Acre. Seems to be another case of an indie title being overblown just because it's on mobile. I mean the game has a 62 on Metacritic for PC and places like TA call it "stunning"? A bit overhyped IMO.

killercow

Not so sure about The Little Acre. Seems to be another case of an indie title being overblown just because it's on mobile. I mean the game has a 62 on Metacritic for PC and places like TA call it "stunning"? A bit overhyped IMO.

Well the art is good but it's definitely not a game getting amazing reviews everywhere. The only source I trust for Point & Click reviews is Adventuregamers and they said that while the game was enjoyable, it's also very short.

That might explain some of the bad reviews on PC and, with mobile's price point, might diminish that negative aspect.

awp69

Well the art is good but it's definitely not a game getting amazing reviews everywhere. The only source I trust for Point & Click reviews is Adventuregamers and they said that while the game was enjoyable, it's also very short.

That might explain some of the bad reviews on PC and, with mobile's price point, might diminish that negative aspect.

Good point about the length.

Speaking of ports, noticed that Kingdom New Lands is on sale for $2.99.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is $1.99 as is The Room 3.

I am wondering if the monetization is different from the Steam version because I read mixed reviews in regard to this, especially since the game is free to play on Kongregate.
From the game's site
- No in-app purchases in these editions. All cards and characters unlock at a fast pace just by playing the game.
- HD art, unlimited quests. Includes all the features of the Steam edition.
- Challenge yourself with bonus DLC single-player content (pre-included in this edition).
- Automatically sync accounts between Steam and Mobile editions.

Ketch

How do I change regions on the store? I a cidently switched to the U.K. Store and now I can't figure out how to go back

Top Bottom