• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo official financial report (10/25),Wii worldwide sales revealed

Jokeropia

medrew said:
For the 6 month period they had net income of US$1.2billion.
This is more than they've ever made in a single year apart from last year. It is also more than Sony's videogame division has ever made in a full fiscal year. That is, the slowest 6 months of this fiscal year beats all of SCEI's full fiscal years and all of Nintendo's previous full fiscal years except for last year.

Vagabundo

iidesuyo said:
This depends on the performance of 3rd party titles only. If Wii sells tons of hardware but no one buys games not made by Nintendo, it won't impress any developer.

True, but 3rd parties have been doing okay on the Wii and there are some strong titles coming this Christmas. I expect them to do better. Personally I have more 3rd party titles than 1st.

titiklabingapat said:
Monster Hunter 3.

:lol hmmm I dunno was that moneyhatted?

Anyway I was hopping for more Western orientated titles. Something controversial, although that MH3 thread got pretty hot.

Saitou

Banned
Jokeropia said:
This is more than they've ever made in a single year apart from last year. It is also more than Sony's videogame division has ever made in a full fiscal year. That is, the slowest 6 months of this fiscal year beats all of SCEI's full fiscal years and all of Nintendo's previous full fiscal years except for last year.
Nintendo buyout of Sony imminent.

Holy fucking shit.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Jokeropia said:

Holy fucking shit, I remember seeing a table before showing the net profits from around 1998 onwards, but I couldn't remember the high watermark, Ninty beating all records based on the SLOW 6 months of the year is just obscene.

Nintendo risen to heaven confirmed.

D.Lo

Stop It said:
Holy fucking shit, I remember seeing a table before showing the net profits from around 1998 onwards, but I couldn't remember the high watermark,
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111003

bycha said:
Code:
FY*       Sony**        Nintendo        Microsoft
1998    974,000,000    629,000,000
1999   1,130,000,000   645,000,000
2000    730,000,000    421,000,000
2001    -409,000,000   726,000,000
2002    623,000,000    800,000,000     -750,000,000
2003    939,000,000    560,000,000     -1,191,000,000
2004    650,000,000    316,000,000     -1,215,000,000
2005    404,000,000    777,000,000     -485,000,000
2006    75,000,00      894,000,000     -1,262,000,000
2007   -1,969,000,000  1,489,000,000   -1,892,000,000
2008    -237,000,000    680,000,000                       
Totals  2,910,000,000  7,937,000,000    -6,795,000,000

Microsoft – Entertainment and Devices Division (Home and Entertainment) through 4th Q FY 2007 ended June 30 2007
Sony – Game division through 1st Q FY 2007 ended June 30 2007
Nintendo – Overall through 1st Q FY 2008 ended June 30 2007
. Average exchange rate: 1 US $ = 118 yen
Based on the latest figures (Nintendo up to US$1.16 billion and Sony -US$1,078 billion for the half year), this would bring the totals since 1998 to US$2,069,000,000 for Sony and US$8,417,000,000 for Nintendo.

This is so fuckin' crazy.

Can't believe no one has posted this yet:

10p0j2x.gif

This is...incredible.

They can't possibly sustain this sort of success over the entire generation, can they?\
Also, at what point are third parties essentially forced to start making things for the Wii first? As mind-bogglingly well as the Wii is selling, the third parties are seemingly doing everything they can to remain wallflowers on Nintendo consoles in terms of games developed fully for the Wii with A-level dev teams and A-level resources.

Saitou

Banned
captmcblack said:
This is...incredible.

They can't possibly sustain this sort of success over the entire generation, can they?
You keep telling yourself that. Let me know how that works out.

felipeko

captmcblack said:
This is...incredible.

They can't possibly sustain this sort of success over the entire generation, can they?
I think they will even increase that for the next year or two..

Vagabundo

captmcblack said:
This is...incredible.

They can't possibly sustain this sort of success over the entire generation, can they?\
Also, at what point are third parties essentially forced to start making things for the Wii first? As mind-bogglingly well as the Wii is selling, the third parties are seemingly doing everything they can to remain wallflowers on Nintendo consoles in terms of games developed fully for the Wii with A-level dev teams and A-level resources.

It is first to 100 Million wins this gen.

And SMG shows that graphics do not have be shite ina Wii game. There ARE no EXCUSES....

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy fuck, read through most of the other stuff. With profits that huge, so much for hoping that Nintendo will upgrade too much hardware wise next time around, eh?

Xekrn said:
Hmmm.......

I'd hit it.

I Swear you Nintendo people would hit anything with Mario underwear.

Now onto the shipments for the next 6 months and what kind of holiday shortages will happen. So they have shipped to retailer 13.17M through end of September. Assuming that September shipments sell in October. How much will they get out for the holiday. 10M units shipped from 10/01 - 03/31 = 1.66M per month.

NA boost in sales starts in November.
Japan Boost in sales starts late December (Holiday that really boost sales is in January)
Europe boost in sales starts in November (Or because of no Thanksgiving is it a little later).

You have 2M units (Units shipped in October for November) to allocate for November sales and 2M units (Units shipped in November for December) to allocate for December. This assumes Nintendo can up the shipments for the holidays.

How do you split them?
On average 1M per month for NA?
On average 500K per month for Europe?
On average 500K per month for Japan?

Xeke said:
You'll be able to walk in on launch day and buy one that afternoon.

Gaborn said:
You know, I love that old meme because it's so obviously insane now in retrospect. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know who first uttered that now legendary phrase?

Who's more foolish- the fool, or the fool who follows him?

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
The enormous recent success of my 2 favorite companies in the world greatly pleases me. (Apple+Nintendo)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
These 6 month numbers are staggering. I wonder what they will look like following the boost from major Wii/DS software that is on the way before April 2008.

Gamer @ Heart said:
Does anyone else remember that japanese analyst that said the Wii would not be able to meet demand until March 2008 right when the Wii launched and everyone, EVERYONE laughed at the idea? Where is he now?
I don't remember the Japanese analyst, but I remember Alcibiades saying some similar things. :)

captmcblack said:
It depends how you mean. Will they always be so much more successful than earlier systems? Doubtful. However, can they at least maintain or increase the current level of success? Sure. On a hardware shipping basis, PS2 was eventually shipping more than Wii is now; it just took a year or two for things to get so steady. Will Nintendo's profits increase? Well, with such quickly growing userbases and a lack of practices that lose them money, hard to see how they won't.
Oblivion said:
Holy fuck, read through most of the other stuff. With profits that huge, so much for hoping that Nintendo will upgrade too much hardware wise next time around, eh?
To go into my full thoughts on this would be unnecessarily lengthy, but in short... if they'd been developing Wii from scratch with current cost points in mind, it should've ended up quite more capable than it is. However, with their shift in focus of design they didn't feel the need to since they could steroid-up GameCube and meet their requirements. As long as their next home console isn't just another clockspeed increase for Flipper/Gekko, it should be a pretty drastic improvement.

zsidane

Can't believe no one noticed how HUGE the DS is in Europe/PAL!

Code:
			Apr-Sep '07		LTD Sep '07
[B][U]DS Hardware[/U][/B]

Europe & Australia	5.35m			17.88m
NA			4.32m			16.06m
Japan			3.68m			19.71m

[B][U]DS Sofware[/U][/B]

Europe & Australia	31.09m		        81.93m
NA			24.40m		        82.42m
Japan			20.01m		        95.13m

And note that starting 3Q, that Nintendo won't be counting bundled softwares (Wii Sport, Brain Training(??)...) in their software forecast.

[Nintex]

zsidane said:
Still NOE continues to screw up releases and delay games left and right. Brain Training and especially Nintendogs are very popular. On the "gaming" side New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart and Pokemon are selling great.

Cheesemeister said:
Now in English!

ntdoy20071025.gif

Wii tie ratio = 4.997 including Wii Sports
DS tie ratio = 4.837

That is just Nintendo software, right? I know that it's only Shipped (not sold), but it's a solid number for 1st party stuff only.

Sharp

zsidane said:
And note that starting 3Q, that Nintendo won't be counting bundled softwares (Wii Sport, Brain Training(??)...) in their software forecast.
There goes the Wii's tie ratio.

zsidane

JoshuaJSlone said:
As long as their next home console isn't just another clockspeed increase for Flipper/Gekko, it should be a pretty drastic improvement.
Especially when you remember that the Gekko is based on the PowerPC G3 released in 1997 :D

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
captmcblack said:
This is...incredible.

If wiifit turns out to be a success then wii sales will be just as strong for another year.

JohnTinker said:
13.7 million shipped? or 13.7 million sold?

I think sold. If it is not sold, it is very close.

Cheesemeister said:
Yes, 53.64 million worldwide.

EDIT: beaten.

Holy shit. The next one to beat is the NES. Nintendo DS at this rate will become the best selling videogame system ever.

And HOLY CRAP to Nintendo's profits.

JoshuaJSlone said:
From launch, Wii versus N64/GCN/PS1/PS2/PS3/Xbox/X360. At this point, Wii is nearly double anything else.

Well, it's all relative. Few would've thought 13 million in 10 months was undershipping, either.

Lol to Third Parties who said that Wii is a fad. :lol
Gahiggidy said:
Nintendo's added another 213 employees to its staff. A total of 3,586. Divided by the expected NET Profit, that gives a rate of $1.02M per employee.

That's VERY INTERESTING. Finally, after YEARS, Nintendo is starting to expand seriously. In fact Nintendo's staff has been for yearsa rounf 3000 people. An increase of 15 %.

Stormbringer said:
Meanwhile...

Nintendo Hires Yahoo Marketing Exec, Transplants Another From Japan

dunaway_2.jpg

Seems like she is replacing either Perrin Kaplan or George Harrison (most likely the later). Poor lady...I wonder in what kind of indecent photoshop edit GAF will make her star in :( ...

Article said:
Nintendo has announced the new executives who will fill the roles of outgoing vice presidents Perrin Kaplan and George Harrison. Cammie Dunaway (right), former chief marketing executive at Yahoo, will join the company as executive vice president of sales and marketing.

Shigeyuki Takahashi, who joined Nintendo in 2006, will leave his position as president of the company's sales and marketing research arm Nintendo Research Inc. to join NOA with the title "executive vice president, special assignment."

Takahashi will "conduct special research activities and provide perspective to the sales and marketing department using his accumulated knowledge." He'll report not to company president Reggie Fils-Aime but to chairman Tatsumi Kimishima, himself a transplant from Kyoto.

With a title like "special assignment", it would seem as if Takahashi's tenure at NOA is only on a temporary basis. It doesn't seem as if "providing perspective" through "special research activities" is really filling the role of a Perrin Kaplan. Perhaps NOA is still looking for a permanent marketing exec to step in?

Definitely this is a very interesting news, because simply Nintendo doesn't trust much newcomers. And the transplant of Takahashi, that have then to report to Kyoto and NOT to Reggie, is the proof.

Biography of Cammie Dunaway said:
A key member of Yahoo!'s executive team, Cammie Dunaway joined Yahoo! in June 2003 and is chief marketing officer and head of Yahoo!'s Customer Experience Division. A seasoned executive with over 20 years of marketing experience, Dunaway is responsible for overseeing key initiatives that focus specifically on the consumer including global branding and marketing efforts, consumer insights, user experience and design, editorial, policy and customer care.

Under Dunaway's leadership, Yahoo! was named the 2006 "Marketer of the Year" by the Direct Marketing Association (DMA), an honor that recognizes Yahoo!'s overall industry vision and marketing innovation. In 2005, Dunaway oversaw Yahoo!'s tremendously successful 10th year anniversary campaign, including a massive global marketing and branding initiative that the Promotional Marketing Association recognized with the 2006 Gold Reggie Award. Dunaway's numerous other achievements at Yahoo! have included the launch of Yahoo! Music Unlimited at the Yahoo! Music Penthouse in Miami for the 2005 MTV Video Music Awards and Yahoo!'s global "Life Engine" advertising campaign in 2004. Dunaway also led the Yahoo! Personals "Live Billboard" campaign, which won the 2005 Gold Effie Award and was recognized by Mediaweek as the "Best Out of Home" marketing campaign of the year. She was named as one of the 100 Top Marketers by Advertising Age and has led Yahoo! to numerous industry recognitions including the Clio Awards, the Obie Awards and the Promo PRO Awards.

Prior to joining the company, Dunaway spent 13 years at Frito-Lay, supervising prominent brands such as Doritos, Cheetos, Lays, Ruffles and Rold Gold Pretzels. She holds a B.S. in business administration from the University of Richmond and an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School. Dunaway currently serves on the board of directors of Brunswick Corporation.

Dunaway is married to Lendy Dunaway and has a son, Davis. She is actively involved with the San Jose Tech Museum and serves on the board of Junior Achievement of Silicon Valley.

A very good choice it seems. Big experience. Big achievements. Great potential.

zsidane said:
I'm looking at older portables... it really is hard to find much of a pattern so as to decide what's notably weird.

Game Boy/Color regional breakdown. Pretty even in NA and EU, which were well ahead of JP.
Game Boy Advance regional breakdown. NA with a MONSTER lead over EU, which is slightly ahead of JP.
Nintendo DS regional breakdown. The most even yet (so far), but this time the order is JP, EU, NA, even though it launched months later in EU than elsewhere.

Shiggy said:
It's funny that they always increase their forecasts.

Wii hardware: 14mio -> 16.5mio -> 17.5mio
Wii software: 55mio -> 72mio -> 97mio
So while hardware forecast has been increased 3.5 million... software forecast has increased 42 million? That seems... very disproportionate.

[Nintex]

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm looking at older portables... it really is hard to find much of a pattern so as to decide what's notably weird.

Game Boy/Color regional breakdown. Pretty even in NA and EU, which were well ahead of JP.
Game Boy Advance regional breakdown. NA with a MONSTER lead over EU, which is slightly ahead of JP.
Nintendo DS regional breakdown. The most even yet (so far), but this time the order is JP, EU, NA, even though it launched months later in EU than elsewhere.

So while hardware forecast has been increased 3.5 million... software forecast has increased 42 million? That seems... very disproportionate.
It really depends on the ammount of releases. Even Nintendo didn't think to release Metroid, Mario, Wiifit, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem, Endless Ocean and Smash Bros. in one year. It's a whole lot of software but with their stellar line-up I'm sure they will sell that many.

Jag22 said:
So many consoles, so few games.

games will come, lots of shovelware from companies looking to cash in on the new 'breed' of gamers who are mainly "Is this like Wii Sports?" type of players...i know my wife is. I told her I was going out to buy Zack and Wiki for the Wii and she asks if its anything like Wii Sports or if it has multiplayer :lol

The Wii is like a cataclysmic meteor brining a reset to the species...the old hardcore gamer will die out, paradigm shift, diminishing returns, cats...etc.

Top Bottom