• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AC UNITY patch worsens NPC pop-in. Ubisoft actually puts in new spawning animation.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Haven't you sold enough copies already, Yves? You have our money, you can stop the damage control now.
Can't even begin to tell you how much the "You work for this company" schtick annoys me now. Because it usually is a reply to me correcting somebody.

I played for like an hour after downloading the patch today and just experienced the same old pop in. I got the platinum and am at 99%, Id hope I would be able to see a difference if there was one

Ahasverus

Can't even begin to tell you how much the "You work for this company" schtick annoys me now. Because it usually is a reply to me correcting somebody.
In that special case you weren't correcting anyone; the system in question was percieved as a bad DRM measure, it feels how it feels, but for you it's a good design decision and a feature, just as the AC Unity launch issues were insignificant and "overplayed" compared to the greatness of the game. Dude, you don't help yourself sometimes.

This is brilliant in a way, like that atari game with the garbled space in the middle of the screen that was a bug they couldn't fix so they made it a feature of the game. If only Ubisoft had thought of this pre launch and made the animus being faulty a part of the story line then it'd really have been genious.

Their games all have some sort of similar effect to minimise the impact of pop in. Far Cry has something similar too. It's nothing new. Other games have less striking effects but they all do something to ease pop in.

Hmmm thought it was strange they could fix this quickly - they haven't

You'd think they would at least get 1080p on PS4 since they claim it's CPU bound. The world looks incredible so at least a visual bump would have felt like some kind of added value vs just scrambling to prevent reputation damage

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
In that special case you weren't correcting anyone; the system in question was percieved as a bad DRM measure, it feels how it feels, but for you it's a good design decision and a feature, just as the AC Unity launch issues were insignificant and "overplayed" compared to the greatness of the game. Dude, you don't help yourself sometimes.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=936058
Reading this thread over, it was certainly not perceived as a bad DRM measure, at least not on gaf. I also never said that the issues were insignificant or overplayed. Definitely not in any of the recent threads.

DiyqVud.gif

Clockwork

I just got done playing for an hour on PS4 post patch. Maybe I just got lucky, but I haven't experienced pop in that is any worse than before.

What I can say is the game definitely appeared to run a little better.

*shrug*

I don't understand why they don't just cancel the character s that would otherwise materialize at point blank range. There are lots of other characters on screen already it would look fine without them (with exceptions for some key characters of course that are directly affecting gameplay)

Perhaps this is a problem of having so many separate teams making a game versus say rockstar

Yeah I noticed the pop-ins, but the thing that has bugged me the most, was the pop-ins that occurred with the npcs clothes. Walking/running around npcs would change their entire outfit before my eyes. The LOD or whatever controls that is obviously broken, and I wouldn't be surprised if its also causing a lot of FPS problems - constantly loading different assets on the fly like that.

JDSN

Banned
I cant wait for the in-game in-game DLC that makes the person playing controlling the person playing the game pay to improve the pop-in, its so dense!!

e-gamer

You really couldn't make it up.

I should add that despite the issues, I'm still very much enjoying the game. Paris is fantastic, and the attention to detail is incredible at times.

My concerns are all about the colision system and controls.

Sometimes I have to press 2 or 3 times the button to draw my weapon..

Yeah I noticed the pop-ins, but the thing that has bugged me the most, was the pop-ins that occurred with the npcs clothes. Walking/running around npcs would change their entire outfit before my eyes. The LOD or whatever controls that is obviously broken, and I wouldn't be surprised if its also causing a lot of FPS problems - constantly loading different assets on the fly like that.

These lod changes, above all else, drive me completely batshit.

woen

It was already how the pop-in looked in AC3/AC4 IIRC. Where there were already pop-in issues, less noticeable thanks to the smallest crowds.

m_dorian

The worst thing is there are many talented professionals that did really good job on this title only to be disappointed because of the bad decisions of some Ubi suits.
The game needed more time, its current state is indefensible, imho.

The worst thing is there are many talented professionals that did really good job on this title only to be disappointed because of the bad decisions of some Ubi suits.
The game needed more time, its current state is indefensible, imho.

10 teams worked on unity, maybe that's just too many.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Won't lie, if you can't solve the problem otherwise due to architectural or hardware performance reasons, then the effect is a funny/creative solution. The LoD pop-in is still atrocious, though.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Woah thats alot worse than i thought it was going t be.
Jezzzz AC: Unity is not having a great launch.....I still havent played it, but i really want to because the game looks spectacular and ive owned every AC so far......but until they can get it unembarrassingly playable i will hold out.

What I don't understand is how do those three extra NPCs that warp in make the scene better in any way? Watch the gif and tell me there are too few NPC's on screen prior to the pop in... Like what the fuck? All this does is detract from the experience.

this, exactly this. it's so dumb.

10 teams worked on unity, maybe that's just too many.

or maybe they need 10 more? 3 teams dedicated to keeping framerate above 25, 3 teams dedicated to stop pop-in right in front of the character, and 4 more teams to keep an eye on the other 6 new teams.

Bizzquik

Can we get gifs from other sources, please?

I mean....one person continuing to have problems with a game post-patch isn't exactly newsworthy.

So I ask: Is everyone experiencing this amount of NPC pop-in? If so, I would like to hear it.

I have no agenda either way. Just want to know how widespread this is....

Top Bottom