• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Shadows Of The Damned Screenshots

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wsippel said:
I hope he's directing the Kadokawa project. I also hope that it's really Japanese, quirky and low budget. And, for Suda's sake, I hope it's on Wii or 3DS. Simply because I believe he'll get more hype and better sales that way - the hype Grasshopper got for No More Heroes was in large part due to being a standout hardcore title on the Wii. Personally, I'll buy and play pretty much anything they put out regardless of the platform, anyway.

Grasshopper are on the list of developers signed on for the PSP2, and Grasshopper has somewhat implied over Facebook updates that they're working on a 3DS game.

What do we know about Suda's project with Kadokawa?

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
plagiarize said:
last time Mikami oversaw a Suda 51 project we got Killer 7 which is one of my favourite games. no reason i shouldn't get super excited over this.

AAK said:
Hyped beyond imagination based on the development talent alone.

Pretty much my situation here. At first I didn't feel much the game's idea... but I think it's going to be, at least, very good.

TheOddOne

Ridley327 said:
He uses the "executive director" credit that he had for NMH2 in the debut trailer, which implies that they have a different guy (or guys) working under him while he makes suggestions and works on the story.

It'd be weird if their Kinect game ends up being fully directed by Suda, but I'm not one to question their logic if such a thing applies.
His involvement in Codename D is also executive producer I think.

Ridley327

wsippel said:
I hope he's directing the Kadokawa project. I also hope that it's really Japanese, quirky and low budget. And, for Suda's sake, I hope it's on Wii or 3DS. Simply because I believe he'll get more hype and better sales that way - the hype Grasshopper got for No More Heroes was in large part due to being a standout hardcore title on the Wii. Personally, I'll buy and play pretty much anything they put out regardless of the platform, anyway.
I'm down for anything Grasshopper, but it is weird that this game doesn't really resemble anything I associate with them outside of 80s British musical act references, random absinthe dispensers and (so far) good music.

TheOddOne said:
His involvement in Codename D is also executive producer I think.

I wonder if he's moving into more of a Miyamoto-esque role at GHM, then?

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
Grasshopper are on the list of developers signed on for the PSP2, and Grasshopper has somewhat implied over Facebook updates that they're working on a 3DS game.

What do we know about Suda's project with Kadokawa?
The title is probably "Lollipop Chainsaw" (bodes well), it supposedly features the hottest female character of all Grasshopper games (yay!), and it's supposedly so funny that everyone who has seen the game laughed out loud, including western publishers who had a chance to demo it. And that's pretty much all we know at this point I believe. I guess we'll see an announcement in the very near future, though.

Kydd BlaZe

Man, those screens are putrid.

Hype levels...diminishing :\

Despite the awful screens, i'm still very interested in seeing how this turns out. Looks like it could make for an incredibly twisted thrill ride of an experience. I love Mikami, so I hope this game ends up great.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
wsippel said:
The title is probably "Lollipop Chainsaw" (bodes well), it supposedly features the hottest female character of all Grasshopper games (yay!), and it's supposedly so funny that everyone who has seen the game laughed out loud, including western publishers who had a chance to demo it. And that's pretty much all we know at this point I believe. I guess we'll see an announcement in the very near future, though.

Hopefully on the 3DS, though unless they talked about this recently I cant see it being there.

wsippel

Banned
EatChildren said:
Hopefully on the 3DS, though unless they talked about this recently I cant see it being there.
They kind of did. To quote one of their recent Facebook posts (December 2010):

We’re not working on any games for Nintendo’s older portable systems. ;) … 3DS? What’s that? ;p

I have a feeling this is going to be a terrible, terrible game. Looks like another Quantum Theory or Knights Contract, but with a poser Robert Rodriguez spin on it. Grasshopper's games have never been about anything but style, and this game's is lacking.

Dascu

Suda isn't directing this himself? He's just executive director? Huh, that's odd.

wsippel said:
Bayonetta x MadWorld?

EatChildren

wsippel said:
They kind of did. To quote one of their recent Facebook posts (December 2010):

That was what I was talking about earleir, but I'm sortof under the impression that if publishers have already seen the game in motion then the game would have been in development for some time. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo is usually pretty conservative in sending out devkits, and I dont know if Grasshopper would have gotten the kits early.

CiSTM

Banned
Yawn. It could still be good game but judgin by the screens it really doesn't look orginal. Blasting demons/monsters/space mosters and such with your cool guns was fun for awhile but I'm tired of it already. Sad to see Mikami and Suda to waisting their time on this. I hope Suda has something interesting in his pocket for his next title.

StuBurns

Banned
CiSTM said:
Yawn. It could still be good game but judgin by the screens it really doesn't look orginal. Blasting demons/monsters/space mosters and such with your cool guns was fun for awhile but I'm tired of it already. Sad to see Mikami and Suda to waisting their time on this. I hope Suda has something interesting in his pocket for his next title.
Yeah Mikami needs to make more incredibly original stuff like an over the shoulder third person shooter in space with a cover system.

Dascu

EatChildren said:
That was what I was talking about earleir, but I'm sortof under the impression that if publishers have already seen the game in motion then the game would have been in development for some time. As far as I'm aware, Nintendo is usually pretty conservative in sending out devkits, and I dont know if Grasshopper would have gotten the kits early.
Hmm. Kadokawa is publishing Rodea the Sky Soldier, which is on 3DS, even though Prope's just a tiny studio. Plus, Suda's big friends with Sakurai and Kojima. It wouldn't be shocking if he managed to get his hands on a 3DS devkit (or at least general information on the system) a bit early because of his "connections".

Aaron

StuBurns said:
Yeah Mikami needs to make more incredibly original stuff like an over the shoulder third person shooter in space with a cover system.
How dare you diss jet knees?!?

Honestly, I feel Vanquish is overrated around here. It outdoes Gears, but then I found Gears boring as shit without playing it in co-op.

Ratrat

Finaika said:
Looks meh. When will Japanese developers get past this "appeal to Westerners" mindset.
Yeah, look at what happened with Vanquish! Devils Third will definitely be shit for catering to a western audience as well.

StuBurns

Banned
Aaron said:
How dare you diss jet knees?!?

Honestly, I feel Vanquish is overrated around here. It outdoes Gears, but then I found Gears boring as shit without playing it in co-op.
I really loved Vanquish, I think it's incredible, but I don't see how it's so much more original than this game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't know -- i'm trying to find some angle from which the art direction is deliberately schlocky, but it's like the characters are from a cult horror movie and everything else is just from some shovelware game. maybe it's just fugly

EatChildren

I said this in the announcement thread, but the style reminds me a whole lot of From Dusk Till Dawn.

wsippel

Banned
Dascu said:
Suda isn't directing this himself? He's just executive director? Huh, that's odd.
He didn't direct NMH2, either - Nobutaka Ichiki (NMH associate director, Fatal Frame IV event planner) directed. And some Italian guy who used to work for Ubisoft is directing Shadows of the Damned if I remember correctly.

Otacon

kittoo said:
Reminds me of 'Dark Sector' for some reason. Same for anyone else?
definitely
at least this screen
sotd_light_barrelqmk0.jpg

dark sector:
52660-dark-sector.jpg

will wait for some gameplay impressions (hopefully on March 1st) but so far it just looks very ugly and like your typical re4 clone
so much wasted talent...

Ricker

kittoo said:
Reminds me of 'Dark Sector' for some reason. Same for anyone else?

Yep,first thing I thought when I saw the screens yesterday,I did like Dark Sector though......not sure about this one,looks 50/50 to me so far...

wsippel said:
He didn't direct NMH2, either - Nobutaka Ichiki (NMH associate director, Fatal Frame IV event planner) directed. And some Italian guy who used to work for Ubisoft is directing Shadows of the Damned if I remember correctly.

Not quite sure what Executive Director entails (it sounds more hands on than executive producer anyway, and that position can be very hands on), but no one would call NMH2 an Ichiki game. It's Suda51 all the way.

We'll see about this Shadows of the Damned as well.

Dascu

wsippel said:
I knew about NMH2. Which is why I'm surprised that Suda isn't doing SotD, since I thought that he didn't do NMH2 precisely because he was busy with SotD.

Anyway, Massimo Guarini is the director.

AAK

I really have no problem with the art style. It's definitely on course for the feel and atmosphere the developers are aiming for: a dark and gothic horror surrounding.

I have faith, they know what they're doing.

KingJ2002

the screenshots are a mixed bag... some are bland and some show off the Suda 51 style.

i think the end product will be amazing... so no worries here

I think it's one of those games that will look nicer in motion than in screenshots. I also remember the first trailer having a framerate of 60 frames/second. I wonder if the final game will be that smooth?

GWX

I think it's one of those games that will look nicer in motion than in screenshots. I also remember the first trailer having a framerate of 60 frames/second. I wonder if the final game will be that smooth?

If it's UE3, I find it hard to believe.

todahawk

Looks fine to me.
Art direction and creatures are fine.
Weapons look varied.
Still interested.
Hype level stable.
Will keep following.
Want to see it in motion with more gameplay.

Blast Processing said:
I have a feeling this is going to be a terrible, terrible game. Looks like another Quantum Theory or Knights Contract, but with a poser Robert Rodriguez spin on it. Grasshopper's games have never been about anything but style, and this game's is lacking.
SO it's going to be awesome then?

todahawk

RustyNails said:
Sudakami combo is the only thing that makes this thing stand out. If it weren't for them, it's just another generic TPS.

Generic? Eh, regardless of who's on board making this these screens got my attention:

sotd_river9mmq.jpg

sotd_bossxme2.jpg

and to a slightly less extent, these two...

stod_arch_demon_shoot0rm7a.jpg

interesting creature design.

sotd_ready_aim5mru.jpg

pretty blue lasers with a hint of a dead space type crawling (derp) body.

Rahxephon91 said:
SO it's going to be awesome then?

I'd tag quote you, but I'm so bewildered by your post that I'm thinking maybe I conflated the title Quantum Theory with something else. The bad Tecmo game with the Gears-ish gameplay and throwing the girl. If that's not Quantum Theory, then it's the game I meant.

Visually it does look a little generic, but when you know something about the game and who's behind it, you can definitely forgive that. Can't wait for the next trailer.

Top Bottom