• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Hypron

OT will be up within the hour, guys :)

Hurray!

Although, I think I'll avoid it until I play through the game myself (it only gets released on the 21st here...). I don't want to read more spoilers than I already have, and some people seem to have trouble with their spoiler tags haha.

rvy

Banned
I think both times would be a good idea. A total time and a completion time. Day 1 patch perslaps?

But what purpose does that serve? The playtime is there for speedrunners and high level players, that's it. The majority of people who buy this shouldn't be concerned about total playtime and shit like that, they should worry about enjoying the game.

Robot Pants

So people can see how shitty you are when they compare your total time versus clear time.
Unless you are purposely restarting checkpoints to get that perfect run. Which many, including me, will be doing.
All in all it doesn't serve any purpose. It's just a meaningless stat, but it couldn't hurt putting it on there.
And for the people just enjoying the game, that entire clear screen is full of stats they don't really need, nor really care about by your way of thinking. So why not just get rid of all of them?
Because the clear screen isn't there for them.

rvy

Banned
So people can see how shitty you are when they compare your total time versus clear time.
Unless you are purposely restarting checkpoints to get that perfect run. Which many, including me, will be doing.
All in all it doesn't serve any purpose. It's just a meaningless stat, but it couldn't hurt putting it on there.

Well, but the stats as they are now serve a purpose. Just like in Vanquish. Adding more stats for people who will not look at them more than once and just want to make sure they didn't buy a 5 hours game is not a good reason to add stuff like that.
People who are concerned about stats like total play time do not care how long cutscenes last or how much time cutscenes and gameplay take as whole, they actually skip the cutscenes. They just want to improve their game to clear it in the fastest time possible.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Hurray!

Although, I think I'll avoid it until I play through the game myself (it only gets released on the 21st here...). I don't want to read more spoilers than I already have, and some people seem to have trouble with their spoiler tags haha.
Yeah I think I'll avoid the OT until I complete my first playthrough.

RangerBAD

No I'm in NA and I'm getting it day 1 but I always take my sweet time on my first playthrough of any game. Just in the demo alone I was spamming the fuck out of the codec to see what Easter Eggs might be there.

I haven't even played the demo, so I'm going in blind on the controls and mechanics.

Mupod

Well according to the internet Vanquish was 3 hours long and it took me like 3 or 4 times longer than that at least not counting challenge modes. So if this is using the same kind of clear time tracking then I think I'm in good shape.

Seriously though I doubt anybody was under the delusion that this would be the kind of game you play for 30+ hours for your first time through. My worry is that they didn't go the extra mile for unlockables and ACTUALLY DIFFERENT harder difficulties like with Bayonetta, and announcements like PS3-only VR missions and preorder costumes are not making me optimistic. Additionally, loadtime-hiding unskippable codec conversations don't help replayability. A mode like Bulletstorm's Echoes should be standard in this kind of game...I haven't seen anything to suggest it has one or even a Bloody Palace kind of mode. I'd like to be wrong.

I love Vanquish and gladly bought it day 1 but it was pretty goddamn barebones, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like my trust in Platinum and Shinji Mikami was a little bit betrayed when I finished the game and the only thing I got was a leaderboard score. And God Hard I guess but have you ever even tried that shit it's impossible.

I mean, I'm still completely optimistic that MGR will be awesome in terms of actual gameplay, and unless Future Shop cancels my tsilon code $40 preorder I'll be there on day 1 or earlier. But I'd be really sad if Bayonetta was the exception and not the rule for extras and such.

HoodWinked

Honestly, a 5-hour game seems a bit on the short side, and would usually be something that would give me pause. But this is Metal Gear, so I'm buying it regardless. Especially after that spectacular demo.

I played the demo on 360, though, and am most likely going to buy the game itself on PS3. So how does the PS3 version handle?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metal-gear-rising-demo-showdown

very minor framerate advantage
slightly better shadows

PS3
pre-rendered cinematic have less compression
vsync (tho tearing is alot less noticable in 60hz games because torn frames are only on screen 1/60th of a second and typically wont differ as much as the previous frame)

i'd just get it for whatever platform you primiarily play on and what controller you preference.

360_004.png
PS3_004.png

Roto13

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-metal-gear-rising-demo-showdown

very minor framerate advantage
slightly better shadows

PS3
pre-rendered cinematic have less compression
vsync (tho tearing is alot less noticable in 60hz games because torn frames are only on screen 1/60th of a second and typically wont differ as much as the previous frame)

i'd just get it for whatever platform you primiarily play on and what controller you preference.

The PS3 version has exclusive content in the form of VR mission DLC.

I don't know if they're free or paid, but there's 30 of them so they're probably not free.

played the demo for the millionth time, and now I got a better understanding of the combat. It's actually pretty good and I would totally day 1 this.

Top Bottom