• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Ponn

Banned
If I wanted a Yoda for my SW fig collection is the current Yoda Starfighter set an ok buy or am I better off waiting for a better set with more figs? Really wish the UCS X-Wing had came with a Yoda fig.

iosefe

If I wanted a Yoda for my SW fig collection is the current Yoda Starfighter set an ok buy or am I better off waiting for a better set with more figs? Really wish the UCS X-Wing had came with a Yoda fig.

i don't believe there is another set on the horizon with Yoda.

Plum

Tomorrow is the rumored unveiling of something big Star Wars if Ghostmind's previous rumors were correct.

giphy.gif

I've got a feeling that this is gonna be absolutely insane.

Ponn

Banned
i don't believe there is another set on the horizon with Yoda.

Well no not this year but i'm assuming we will get another set with Yoda at some point though. I already have a couple R2's so it would literally be what $25 to 30 just for a yoda fig. I'm probably answering my own question here, its probably better to wait for a set with more figs if i'm not interested in the build at all.

I'm hoping people temper their expectations for tomorrow. If we don't get a UCS falcon reveal tomorrow please don't throw Ghostmind down a shaft.

if its really an $800 millennium falcon, shit better be as big as my coffee table and make the other one look small. Pessimistic me thinks its just gonna be a refresh of the old one, with maybe 1000 more pieces for interior detail and other refinements but priced $200 more than it should be due to "inflation" or something stupid

if its really an $800 millennium falcon, shit better be as big as my coffee table and make the other one look small. Pessimistic me thinks its just gonna be a refresh of the old one, with maybe 1000 more pieces for interior detail and other refinements but priced $200 more than it should be due to "inflation" or something stupid

And you will still buy it. :)

EIGHT
HUNDRED
US
DOLLARS

Get ready for posts like that if that price is true and there's a thread in off topic.

$800 better include every Star Wars mini figure, be fucking huge, be quadruple lego VIP points, and an autograph from George Lucas and a free screening of the last Jedi

Will probably be super limited, like you'll have to pre order in store

otapnam

Picked up the batmobile n mr freeze sets at Costco.

Going to open the mr freeze set when my daughter achieves her potty reward... Putting the batmobile in the vault. Lol. Too good of a deal to pass

And even if it is that much, and people bitch about it, in a few years when the aftermarket price goes to insane numbers people will then complain about how they shoulda spent the money when it came out.

Unless the model itself is a dud like the "UCS" Echo Base set (which I don't see happening), this set is going to be a very quick sell out for LEGO in the initial batch.

Personally, I am hoping they just go absolutely bonkers and deliver the biggest piece count of a set ever, and shame every UCS set that came before.

Ponn

Banned
I don't know. A rumored price of $800 (plus tax) has made me reconsider my initial plan to buy it. The most I've paid for a single set is $250. Spending over 3x that for one set is tough for me to justify.

What if they approach it like episodic content. They release it in 4 chunks at $200 a piece over a year span. The TFA differences sold as dlc later.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Yeah, I'm, expecting it to be about the same size as the old one, but with an interior.

People forget how big the old one was.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OK everyone. How place your bets on how many stickers the Falcon is going to have.

The old UCS Falcon had 5.

4 console stickers, and the info-plaque sticker.

Sweet merciful crap, the Saturn V is enormous!

And WTF at all the build techniques?! It's like the designer said, "Oh, you guys think you know what SNOT is? How quaint. Sit back and learn."

They have to do more NASA stuff after this -- no, they must!

Sweet merciful crap, the Saturn V is enormous!

And WTF at all the build techniques?! It's like the designer said, "Oh, you guys think you know what SNOT is? How quaint. Sit back and learn."

They have to do more NASA stuff after this -- no, they must!
I hate that I missed out on some of the older Ideas/Cuusoo NASA sets.

There was a Mars Rover and a Satellite (maybe not a NASA one, but still a cool looking space set).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tower Bridge and UCS Imperial Shuttle are my two most expensive purchases. The falcon sounds like it will easily be more than both of them put together. As much as I love UCS OT ships it is likely a step too far (also literally nowhere to put it unless there was some way to wall mount it flat against the wall)

What if they approach it like episodic content. They release it in 4 chunks at $200 a piece over a year span. The TFA differences sold as dlc later.
I would buy it if it were like that subscription model MF that I think was like $10 per issue per week. Each week you get a handful of parts with 4 panels of instructions that don't really make sense until later.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Tower Bridge and USS Imoerial Shuttle are my two most expensive purchases. The falcon sounds like it will easily be more than both of them put together. As much as I love UCS OT ships it is likely a step too far (also literally nowhere to put it unless there was some way to wall mount it flat against the wall)

My Falcon is in a box. It's just way too large to display.

I'll still probably buy the new one.

magawolaz

Well no not this year but i'm assuming we will get another set with Yoda at some point though. I already have a couple R2's so it would literally be what $25 to 30 just for a yoda fig. I'm probably answering my own question here, its probably better to wait for a set with more figs if i'm not interested in the build at all.

I'm hoping people temper their expectations for tomorrow. If we don't get a UCS falcon reveal tomorrow please don't throw Ghostmind down a shaft.
Maybe get the keychain, while you wait for new sets? Or get it from Bricklink or ebay

_Rob_

My Parisian Restaurant arrived, just in time for the bank holiday weekend too!

You're all right though, I can definitely see myself shelling out for more of the modulars!

Would you guys mind sharing your opinions on the Palace Cinema (10232)? As far as I can tell it's the oldest modular still in production, so I imagine the best one for me to go for if I intend on getting as many as I can.

Osahi

You're all right though, I can definitely see myself shelling out for more of the modulars!

Would you guys mind sharing your opinions on the Palace Cinema (10232)? As far as I can tell it's the oldest modular still in production, so I imagine the best one for me to go for if I intend on getting as many as I can.
It's the one to get if you don't want to miss out. But it's also the weakest of the bunch. It looks cool when build, but the interiour is very bare bones and the build is not on par with the other modulars still available) Also has a terrible 2-part sticker that is terrible to line up correctly. People also hate on the included car, but for me it works for what it wants to be.

But you'll want it anyway, so get this first and then work your way trough in order of release. To me Detectives Office is another absolute highlight (that interiour!) and Assembly Square is offcourse a blast (though I found the build somewhat tedious, because of the prolonged steps (there are only 6 bags for 4000 pieces if I'm not mistaken)

willp2003

I bought all the available modulars in a short period of time last year, and started with palace cinema and Pet shop. I picked up grand emporium (used) for a very reasonable price, and then got the rest. Finished the cinema last night, and it looks good when finished, but probably doesn't have as many interesting building techniques as the others. Still got the bank, restaurant and assembly square to build, but now I have the display space I can crack on with them.

Just because the Saturn V is so amazing, don't sleep on the Carousel! It's a really cool build, although obviously also quite repetitive, especially at the end. Some of the connections made blew my mind.

But my point is: you will never be able to Bricklink this. Not only for the stickers and the cloth and the exclusive prints. There's just so many parts in special colours. The medium blue tails currently don't come in any other sets and there are 48 of them. In fact, most of the medium blue are new recolours.

I'll make a proper review once the weather clears up. I'd prefer to take pictures outside for this.

DonShula

Palace Cinema does look very nice on display. The criticism about the interior and the car are true, but the car is no less disappointing than the fire truck from the Fire Brigade. In the context that these sets are supposed to be 1930's-ish, the vehicles are fine. The interior is clearly inferior to both the Fire Brigade and Pet Shop (haven't seen any others in person).

There is some fun detail work with the windows and the roof. But the best part of the set is the marquee sign. I loved building that and it deserved to be last in the build. Lining up the sticker does suck and I wish they would have just run a special piece for that. But when finished, this set is striking, has a rare footprint, and is a nice height. Keeping in mind that you'll typically only see the exterior on display, I think it's a worthy purchase.

_Rob_

Palace Cinema does look very nice on display. The criticism about the interior and the car are true, but the car is no less disappointing than the fire truck from the Fire Brigade. In the context that these sets are supposed to be 1930's-ish, the vehicles are fine. The interior is clearly inferior to both the Fire Brigade and Pet Shop (haven't seen any others in person).

There is some fun detail work with the windows and the roof. But the best part of the set is the marquee sign. I loved building that and it deserved to be last in the build. Lining up the sticker does suck and I wish they would have just run a special piece for that. But when finished, this set is striking, has a rare footprint, and is a nice height. Keeping in mind that you'll typically only see the exterior on display, I think it's a worthy purchase.

I bought all the available modulars in a short period of time last year, and started with palace cinema and Pet shop. I picked up grand emporium (used) for a very reasonable price, and then got the rest. Finished the cinema last night, and it looks good when finished, but probably doesn't have as many interesting building techniques as the others. Still got the bank, restaurant and assembly square to build, but now I have the display space I can crack on with them.

It's the one to get if you don't want to miss out. But it's also the weakest of the bunch. It looks cool when build, but the interiour is very bare bones and the build is not on par with the other modulars still available) Also has a terrible 2-part sticker that is terrible to line up correctly. People also hate on the included car, but for me it works for what it wants to be.

But you'll want it anyway, so get this first and then work your way trough in order of release. To me Detectives Office is another absolute highlight (that interiour!) and Assembly Square is offcourse a blast (though I found the build somewhat tedious, because of the prolonged steps (there are only 6 bags for 4000 pieces if I'm not mistaken)

Well, I'm convinced! I really like the look of the exterior, despite the interior; and it's Lego at the end of the day, I can always customise!

I reckon I'll pick up this and the Detective's Office next, thank you!

Osahi

Build the bank first, then AS, the PR. Bank is great, but the other two are absolutely amazing and the restaurant is goat

willp2003

Build the bank first, then AS, the PR. Bank is great, but the other two are absolutely amazing and the restaurant is goat

Ha, funny you should say that. I've just finished bags 1 of brick bank. Really liked building the safe door and the counter/reception bit

Osahi

Ha, funny you should say that. I've just finished bags 1 of brick bank. Really liked building the safe door and the counter/reception bit

Yeah, amazing details in the interior. The chandelier is something else :p

It's a testament of how great the others are that this is 'the lesser' of three

The superhero girl sets are cheap on Amazon uk at moment

Batgirl jet is £8.70

Lashina is £4.69

School is £33

My son liked building some of the vehicles so I'm tempted by the school at that price

Top Bottom