• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo TMCC Full Campaign Preview (H2A runs at 1328 x 1080 native)

Stinkles, has it been announced yet whether or not these 60fps are locked figures or "close to"? Locked would be pretty damn awesome.

Let's hope we can steer this thread's discussion away from pixel counting.

Haven't had a chance to look at any of the videos but that hornet screenshot looks so amazing!

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I still switch back and forth on a regular basis when I play HCEA.

HCEA is way too bright in some spots, so I just switch back to HCE when that happens. Instant switching in the new version is going to be AWESOME.
That will be cool for you, but it's too niche.

1080p is more important to a larger amount of people.

Mhm.

Halo-2-Anniversary-Coag-2.png

Hnnnng.

Cannot. Fucking. Wait. TMCC is my most anticipated game this year, Destiny has been a stop gap for my Halo thirst.

Let's hope we can steer this thread's discussion away from pixel counting.

Haven't had a chance to look at any of the videos but that hornet screenshot looks so amazing!

This thread will be bigger than any other Halo thread because pixels and frames.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Personal opinion?

a. It looks much better than prior showings now for obvious reasons of dev progress.
b. Yeah, I think the scaling of this res looks better. Great in fact. There's a crystal-like sharpness in-game.

That's good to see! I wonder if other developers will choose a similar resolution instead of 900p in the future. Also, are you making use of the hardware scaler, and if so, will we see proper gamma values. I get worried with games that run sub-1080p on XB1 as some of the launch window games using the scaler have crushed blacks.

Durante

1328 x 1080: 1434240
900p: 1440000

So not even 900p.
FWIW, I think 1328x1080 is a better choice of rendering resolution for 1080p displays than 1600x900.

Obviously neither is as good as native (and above native is even better :p), but if that's the pixel count you can manage then you should arrange it like this and not 16:9.

Trey

What a stupid excuse for not running at full 1080p. If you can't hit your target because you're running two engines simultaneously, then DON'T RUN TWO ENGINES SIMULTANEOUSLY! Is there even a single person who needs the ability to switch graphics on the fly so badly that they would sacrifice image quality for it??? I don't even see the point of including the old graphics in the first place, but if you did want to use them for whatever reason, you could have the game pause to load the new engine. This would be infinitely preferable to reducing the framebuffer and horizontally scaling the game, leading to increased jaggies and artifacts.

Their target was to run two engines simultaneously at the highest fidelity possible. 343 never lied about what H2A was trying to achieve or the resolution it would end up at.

The switching engines feature seems utterly worthless. Just put both games on the disk. Who the hell would ever be switching back and forth during gameplay? Wheres the logic to that?
Yea, I don't think I'll ever be switching back and forth during the game...I did it once or twice in Halo: CE Anniversary and never again after that. Ah well :-/

Shin-Ra

"The campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary looked fantastic at 720p with the level of detail and clarity it gave us, but like every other aspect of the game and tech, we wanted to push it further. So in the last weeks of development, our teams were able to meet a stretch goal and the campaign of Halo 2: Anniversary now runs 60 fps at a crisp resolution of 1328x1080, which is a significant and meaningful boost in image quality we think fans are really going to appreciate."
I don't believe they were targeting 720p originally.

The Llama

Eh, kind of whatever IMO. Still a solid 60 fps. Good enough resolution considering the others are all still 1080p. Sure, it hurts a bit that its not gonna be 1080p, but not a dealbreaker for me.

Ugh... Console warz

It was just a question and I said I didn't care about that type of thing. Take that crap elsewhere. No one was trying to fuel a console war argument. It's clear from your reaction where your bias lies though. You come into a thread of a game you have no intention of buying just to say foolishness. Stop it.

The switching engines feature seems utterly worthless. Just put both games on the disk. Who the hell would ever be switching back and forth during gameplay? Wheres the logic to that?

I did that plenty with Halo CE Anniversary, this is actually the best feature there for me and while I'm disappointed that they didn't manage to get it done in full HD, if that is what they had to do and keep it "switchable" I'm ok with that. I play the anniversary versions not only because I think they are fun but also because I want to feel a little nostalgic.

Computer

I cant believe people bitch and moan about something that when shown side by side you can barley make out witch is witch.

Hubble

On top of my previous post, with all the resolution controversies e.g., resolution gate and the negative image the Xbox One is getting, why didn't 343 aim for 30 fps instead of 60 to achieve 1080p? Previous Halo's used 30 FPS. It would be a better sacrifice.

Izayoi

Banned
That will be cool for you, but it's too niche.

1080p is more important to a larger amount of people.
The original campaign is still 1080p. I don't think it will be a huge deal. Most people will be playing MP anyway, it's really not a huge deal.

jem0208

On top of my previous post, with all the resolution controversies e.g., resolution gate and negative image the Xbox One is getting, why didn't 343 aim for 30 fps instead of 60 to achieve 1080p? Previous Halo's used 30 FPS. It would be a better sacrifice.

I think it's probably because the other games are all 60fps.

Going from 60fps to 30fps would be much more jarring that 1080p to semi-1080p.

Reallink

What a fucking failure. Every time they have showed or talked about this game their tag line has been 1080p/60, 1080p/60, 1080p/60...and it's not.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
On top of my previous post, with all the resolution controversies e.g., resolution gate and the negative image the Xbox One is getting, why didn't 343 aim for 30 fps instead of 60 to achieve 1080p? Previous Halo's used 30 FPS. It would be a better sacrifice.

No. 60 fps >>>>>>>>> all

Welfare

Were those things on the side of the HUD in Halo 4 there on the 360? Also fucking shit. 60fps goodness.

And yeah, Halo 4 looks incredible.

Ridley327

I may be in the minority but I rather have 30 FPS and 1080p in Halo than 60 FPS.

Keep the Bungie 30 FPS tradition with a better resolution seems a better tribute to a remake.

343i is in charge now, and they're very serious about 60 fps being the new standard, especially with Halo 5 targeting that. There's nothing wrong with making the old games run twice as fast, especially when there's already precedence for that with the PC ports of CE and 2.

Rockyrock

crazy to see such an overreaction for what's going to be like %10 of the entire package.

all Multiplayer is 1080p/60fps. That's all that really matters.

take out the ability to switch back and forth on the fly then-
What a fucking failure. Every time they have showed or talked about this game their tag line has been 1080p/60, 1080p/60, 1080p/60...and it's not.
thats what Im gathering-should have said with an asterisk

should have been 1080p/30

Multiplayer is. They said from the outset that H2A campaign might not make it.

I love how people can call someone a liar who never lied.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 4 Multi: 1080p/60

Defect

Great, a resolution thread!

Everything else is 1080p/60fps so why is this a big deal? You're only going to play the campaign once anyway.

HaloCE campaign: 1080p/60
HaloCEA campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 2A campaign: 1328x1080/60
Halo 3 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo 4 campaign: 1080p/60
Halo CE Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 2A Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 3 Multi: 1080p/60
Halo 4 Multi: 1080p/60
They should have included this every time they spoke about the game obviously lol.

Bessy67

It has to be so disheartening as a game developer to have all this information come out about your game and the only thing people are talking about is the resolution.

Top Bottom