• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog changes their tune on Uncharted 3's Season Pass, upcoming DLC costs extra

Zaventem

I think people learn enough about these season passes when saint's row 3 dlc that would be included in a pass got turned into a full game.

arne

How would it matter to the people that bought FHC before March thinking they'd get all upcoming DLC?

Because we tried to let everyone know at every step the extent of the content and leaving out relevant information is minimizing that we did so AT ALL. It makes it look like we never told anyone the FHC was over. Which was not the case. Tell the whole story, not the part that gets hits.

Okay - well the option then is no more content. As was originally planned until not that long ago. Things changed, the FHC posts always said the actual # of content that was the included and then we also posted it was over. What more would you like us to have done as we tried out best to clearly message it?

I added it arne, only cuz you're a nice guy.

Thanks. I'm not trying to recon it, but there's been more than few posts that didn't read the follow up.
I'm with you that we could have done better - but we shouldn't be crucified from a poorly worded sentence that was the exception to the rule in how we were detailing how much content was coming out.

At least bring out the pitchforks and torches for the real reason - we could have communicated much, much better overall.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I like how the "first four multiplayer map packs" really means 8 recycled U2 maps, 1 mode, and 4 new maps.

Yeah, unfortuate choice of words in that post when marketing's message was supposed to clear up how much content was upcoming as part of the FHC. This was the first season pass type program we've all worked on together, so there were a few fumbles like this - we shouldn't have had seemingly contradictory statements. To be fair, I keep reading it and I can only see that you're being really nit picky when the post specifically detailed the # of DLC that is covered under the FHC.

On top of that - we did post in March that the FHC program was coming to an end
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...nal-fortune-hunters-club-dlc-coming-in-april/

So we made that explicit before the program was over.

I get wanting to call that kind of thing out, and it makes sense to want to make us accountable, but it feels a little sensational to hinge everything on one sentence that was later explained before the program was up.

It feels sensational because it is sensational. Complaints are unwarranted IMO.

I like how the "first four multiplayer map packs" really means 8 recycled U2 maps, 1 mode, and 4 new maps.

That's why buying a season pass for any game is a risky proposition. You're just hoping that whatever they give you is worth your money.

arne

If you can, can you say when the decision for more DLC was decided upon?

A few panels at GDC gave us some food for thought and I think around April or so we discussed it for real and hit full steam around the time we were talking about a "big" upcoming patch.

Although at least wait until our DLC announcement - it's not new maps or something like that. We wouldn't have time to come out with stuff like that already.

jett

D-Member
At least bring out the pitchforks and torches for the real reason - we could have communicated much, much better overall.

Well all right. Maybe I'm being too hard on you guys, although understand some of us had already been disappointed with the FHC overall so this is a kick to the nuts.

arne

Well all right. Maybe I'm being too hard on you guys, although understand some of us had already been disappointed with the FHC overall so this is a kick to the nuts.

We needed to plan the content roll out and the communication of content out better. Planning fail.

Gorillaz

It was never confirmed to be ALL DLC.....I don't get why people keep thinking ND said all DLC

it was just a certain amount.

Can you name us a season pass that people weren't disappointed with? People are always expecting them to deliver a lot more than they usually do.

TommyT

I think around April or so we discussed it and hit full steam around the time we were talking about a "big" upcoming patch.

Although at least wait until our DLC announcement - it's not new maps or something like that. We wouldn't have time to come out with stuff like that already.

So it'd be safe to say well after the January post, and even after the March post outlining the FHC details. So at the risk of sounding apologist (which really, is rationalism among the sensationalism) for those clamoring for ambiguity - it would seem that, at the time, it wasn't ambiguous since there were no plans for additional dlc. Only afterwards, thanks to poor wording which at the time made perfect sense, did it come back to be an issue.

Sadly thought people will feel however regardless if there is a rational explanation or not; and thus the explanation will never be good enough.

HiiiLife

I'll still support Naughty Gods. Definitely the right choice by them. Money isn't a problem to me.

Sike. Kinda heated now. And money is a problem.

megamerican

It was never confirmed to be ALL DLC.....I don't get why people keep thinking ND said all DLC

it was just a certain amount.

Current membership and any new membership purchased will include all currently available and any upcoming DLC packs for Uncharted 3

It's okay though because ND retroactively announced that the FHC had a definite end date.

ShogunX

I guess we shouldn't have looked at putting additional content out there at all anymore and just called it a wrap.

Maybe you should of cut down on the skins,avatars and accessories seeing as these somehow made up 9/14 ''packs'' and offered better value content to the people who gave you money up front. A Killzone item pack which consists of THREE items as well as avatar picture packs is both lazy and shady.

As someone who has been playing U3 since the beginning and still play it now, if I could go back to the beginning of U3 and had the choice of the FHC I would get it again. I don't feel cheated and I feel I got the content that I was told I was going to get. How can I be mad about that. Anything extra then what was originally promised (bumping up the content to 14 packs) is an added bonus.

However I do feel the DLC has split the fan base and the balancing of skilled players between the servers have hurt the cummunity more than helped it. Also having the DLC maps since day 1 and only being able to play some maps only a handful of times is extremely disheartening. These are the issues people should be complaining about. Not the FHC. Regardless I still think U3 has a lot offer (even before the DLC) and is one of the most unique multiplayer games out there.

jcm

Okay - well the option then is no more content. As was originally planned until not that long ago. Things changed, the FHC posts always said the actual # of content that was the included and then we also posted it was over. What more would you like us to have done as we tried out best to clearly message it?

The other option is to do what you said you would do and give it to FHC people. Raise the price for the rest of us to cover the lost revenue if you need to. If it doesn't make financial sense to produce additional content while following through on the whole idea of the FHC, then don't produce it. Acting like you're doing us a big favor by offering to sell us more content, even though you're clearly violating both the letter and the spirit of the FHC is pretty lame.

The people who bought that are some of your biggest fans, and they prepaid you for content you hadn't even made yet. How much is losing their trust worth?

Gorillaz

Current membership and any new membership purchased will include all currently available and any upcoming DLC packs for Uncharted 3

It's okay though because ND retroactively announced that the FHC had a definite end date.

Thats what I meant...ND alot of the time said that the map pack FHC wouldn't last forever...it is a gray area but around launch they said it wouldn't last for good.

They are pretty wishy washy with PR...which scares me alot.

Your apologizing for their lie? Really?

This is why devs/publishers will keep doing this

Never said apologizing already stated they were wishy washy but around launch said that it wouldn't be forever. It does fall on them for how they handled it but OP is really making it sound bigger then it is.

arne

The other option is to do what you said you would do and give it to FHC people. Raise the price for the rest of us to cover the lost revenue if you need to. If it doesn't make financial sense to produce additional content while following through on the whole idea of the FHC, then don't produce it. Acting like you're doing us a big favor by offering to sell us more content, even though you're clearly violating both the letter and the spirit of the FHC is pretty lame.

The people who bought that are some of your biggest fans, and they prepaid you for content you hadn't even made yet. How much is losing their trust worth?

Let's revisit when all the details for Patch 1.13, etc. are out.

ShogunX

Never said apologizing already stated they were wishy washy but around launch said that it wouldn't be forever. It does fall on them for how they handled it but OP is really making it sound bigger then it is.

But then again this is an anti dlc thread from the start so whatever.

Don't see the problem with DLC as long as it's content that adds to the overall game play experience by offering additional hours worth of play. Shite like skins and avatars should be unlocks.

I'm with you that we could have done better - but we shouldn't be crucified from a poorly worded sentence that was the exception to the rule in how we were detailing how much content was coming out.

Man crucifixions, pitchforks and torches used to mean something on GAF. This is the weakest one I've ever seen!

I'm more frustrated by the recycling of DLC they did, even the vanilla version was too much recycling, not enough new.

UC3 mp really blew it all over the place. The game, from the beginning, was a serious departure from UC2's MP which was much better. It perplexes me that ND went the MW2 route with the game when simplicity was truly better for balanced gameplay. Instead, they went with the constant-reward, carrot on a stick, ruin long term balance path that always aims to keep the A.D.D casual crowd around. I really think that mentality has been a slap in the face to hardcore fans for a bunch of IPs this gen

I'll always love UC2 MP, but u guys lost it after the health/damage patch.

I just hope that, for an Uncharted 4, they go back to their roots, and give back to the hardcore fans. I dislike the season pass for a game like UC because the MP community is already so small and fracturing it right out of the bat really hurts the game. Like others have said, this is always the risk of Season passes, but to me, offering constant recycled maps over new maps would hurt the reputation more than what I'm hearing about here.

Orca

Thanks. I'm not trying to recon it, but there's been more than few posts that didn't read the follow up.

The post you linked to in order to clear things up on what people get with FHC says this: "You'll get every Fortune Hunters' Club DLC pack already released - as well as all future club packs!"

To someone that hadn't followed along to know that the FHC was ended, that still sounds like you get all future DLC. Nowhere there does it say the FHC has been ended at all, hell it tells me there's "no better time to join" in fact.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
So what exactly did this Fortune Hunter's club entail? Maps & skins?
2 packs of U2 maps (8 maps total), 1 pack of new maps (4 maps), 1 Co-op map, 1 Co-op mode, 2 packs of PSN avatars (10 total), a bunch of U2 skins and some U3 skins.
All fourteen advertised packs have been released:

• Classic Skin Packs, Three skin packs featuring characters from Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  • Killzone 3 Accessory Pack, A skin pack featuring Killzone characters
  • Flashback Map Pack 1, A pack of four revamped maps from Uncharted 2's multiplayer
  • Rogues Packs 1 and 2, Two skin packs featuring minor characters from the Uncharted series
  • Donut Pack, A skin pack featuring fat versions of Uncharted characters
  • Prelude - Fort, A co-op Adventure DLC level played from the perspective of the villains
  • Flashback Map Pack 2, A pack of four revamped maps from Uncharted 2's multiplayer
  • Uncharted 3 Avatar pack 1, five avatars
  • Uncharted 3 Avatar pack 2, five more avatars
  • Co-Op Shade Survival, A Co-op Arena variant that includes the Djinn from the Uncharted 3 singleplayer as enemies
  • Drake's Deception Map Pack, A pack of four brand new maps inspired by levels from Uncharted 3's singleplayer
http://uncharted.wikia.com/wiki/Fortune_Hunters'_Club

Boss Man

The post you linked to in order to clear things up on what people get with FHC says this: "You'll get every Fortune Hunters' Club DLC pack already released - as well as all future club packs!"

To someone that hadn't followed along to know that the FHC was ended, that still sounds like you get all future DLC. Nowhere there does it say the FHC has been ended at all, hell it tells me there's "no better time to join" in fact.
What is a "club pack"? "All future club packs!" sounds very specifically and purposefully different than "All future DLC!"

arne

Well, since this thread started on a technicality, then let's be technical across the board - this DLC we're talking about isn't a "club pack."

remist

I was about to link the same thing. Sounds like offering future DLC past the 14 mentioned is not isolated to that Jan post. Seems like more than a simple mistake of wording in one post.

Well, since this thread started on a technicality, then let's be technical across the board - this DLC we're talking about isn't a "club pack."

Congratulations! So your're technically not in legal trouble. You just technically look shady as hell.

Arne you had told us that exclusive weapons will remain exclusive... why did you lie to us?

ps: Of course I expect this question to be ignored...

Oh good, when developers lie it's "poorly worded" and if we complain it's "nit picking" and "technicalities". Great way to treat your customers. So the way I follow this, when the line Current membership and any new membership purchased will include all currently available and any upcoming DLC packs for Uncharted 3 was written, there were no further plans to make any more DLC. Then you decided to make more DLC. Unfortunately you did say ANY. UPCOMING. This qualifies as any upcoming, guys. It's your words, time will tell if you will honour what your own PR says. You can't just sweep it away based on what you later said, because of the people who bought the pack based on your own words. You say "poorly worded" but if you do not honour it it is a lie, plain and simple.

Top Bottom