• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New PS Vita - Available for Pre-Order tomorrow

Korezo

I hope some stores have one of these on display so I can check the screen out. I bought a white 1k vita 2 weeks ago but got one with a shitty oled screen again and I can't take it, I've had 3 1k vitas and all 3 had shitty screens... 2 with horizontal and vertical lines all over the screen and one with a damn Mura dot right in the middle of the screen that was visible on dark colors. So if the 2k looks decent I'm returning this 1k garbage to amazon.

Elios83

No reason to upgrade considering the current state of Vita support. At 99$ we might talk about it :p
Btw if they're holding a press event I hope they can back the hardware announcement with new titles.

jax

Banned
Huge?

Vita 2k is slightly slimmer and lighter, sure, but the original isn't a PSP v1. THAT was one hell of a brick, and I don't think the difference between Vita versions will feel as huge as PSP vs. PSP slim.

It's definitely thinner, and the edges don't seem as harsh. The hardware just seems more firm in general. I had an OG, I wasn't thrilled with the build quality. It felt like it was easy to break. The OLED is nice though.

Haven't noticed any burn-in and I play my Vita a lot. It does however have typical OLED blotches like these which I think people are mistaking with burn-in.

My OG had this issue, had to scrap it.

If they're smart, they'll offer a limited run color to push 1k owners over the fence and upgrade.

Judging by decisions they've been making recently, they're gonna go smart on this one.

RaikuHebi

Banned
According to a source at VG247, the PS Vita Slim (or whatever they're officially calling it) will be initially only available in black and will cost £189.

If the price is true, then it's a complete waste of everyone's time. For context, Play Asia is selling the damn things for sub-£150 (before P&P obviously, but still).
FUCK THAT. £150 fucking idiots.

And no colours. They're having an absolute joke.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Where does this notion that the 2000 screen is crap come from? It might not be OLED but it is still really crisp and has great colours. I have no complaints at all about mine.

Edit: I imported mine for ~£140 + postage from Nippon-Yasan just after it released in JP. £190 is an atrocious price if that is true.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Where does this notion that the 2000 screen is crap come from? It might not be OLED but it is still really crisp and has great colours. I have no complaints at all about mine.

It's not terrible, but it's no OLED. Check the clear side by side comparisons here:
http://blog.apolo1192.net/archives/2nd-gen-ps-vita-pch-2000-review.html

DSC02092.jpg

DSC02117.jpg

DSC02060.jpg

DSC02087.jpg

DSC02043.jpg

DSC02050.jpg

Drago

If it comes to NA in white I will almost definitely pick one up in the future. It seems like a total upgrade in every way despite the worse screen, but I'm not too picky when it comes to things like that, and besides, I'll always have my 1000 as well. Hope NA gets an announcement for it soon though I'm willing to import.

Besides the screen I like all of the improvements the 2k vita has made but I do hope Sony surprises us with a different model.

720p screen?
Better sticks. Concave or at least like PS4's sticks?
Better resistance on sticks?
Better R1 and L1 buttons?
Better wifi? (Of all my mobile electronics my vita always has the weakest signal. Always)

Enhanced somehow for better remote play?

This would push me over the edge immediately.

GeoramA

Slightly worse screen, but better battery life and a lot lighter. IF the price is right I'll be double dipping for sure.

I'd much prefer Vita TV over this, but maybe that's coming down line too.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I've seen both side by side in the flesh. While there is a difference, the margin is overplayed. I just saw all the "before its too late" posts, which to me are a little unfair and come with a large dose of internet hyperbole.

That I absolutely agree with. No need to ration OLEDs, it isn't THAT bad.

nakedeyes

Banned
Just this morning I got my Vita 2000 in white / lime green in the mail. I upgraded from a vita 1000 and fully sold my old one to a friend.

I am SO happy with it. I was a bit weary about the screen, but it is not even worth the tiniest bit of worry really. It is truly a best in class LCD and the colors feel like they jump out at me just as much as the OLED. The difference in the screen is sooo marginal compared to the weight / size reduction and the slightly more ergonomic feel.

I can a tiny bit notice the lack of the true blacks OLED provides, but it is almost unnoticeable.

I got this model cause I play my vita SO much I really wanted the comfort / battery improvements, and I am very happy about the switch! I have a feeling that 90% of the people that talk shit on the lack of OLED have never seen the new screen :p

RaikuHebi

Banned
I got this model cause I play my vita SO much I really wanted the comfort / battery improvements, and I am very happy about the switch! I have a feeling that 90% of the people that talk shit on the lack of OLED have never seen the new screen :p

Can confirm lol.

All that's holding me back now is the price. I suppose I should trade my OLED soon before prices go down. Hopefully the shops do an extra good deal on trading in an OLED and buying a 2000, then I won't wait for a price drop.

EDIT: But wait. If they won't have the colours...Then I'll pass.

jrronimo

Besides the screen I like all of the improvements the 2k vita has made but I do hope Sony surprises us with a different model.

720p screen?

No chance that they'll change the resolution. It would require some sort of scaling or stretching for the existing game library which would only degrade the image quality. It'll be the same resolution screen.

Better sticks. Concave or at least like PS4's sticks?
Better resistance on sticks?
Better R1 and L1 buttons?
Better wifi? (Of all my mobile electronics my vita always has the weakest signal. Always)
Enhanced somehow for better remote play?

This would push me over the edge immediately.

All the rest of those would be great, but I wouldn't get hopes up for anything other than the same one that came out in Japan. Keeping the manufacturing chain as similar as possible reduces costs on the whole. It makes the most sense. Any improvements past the J-2K would likely be in a 3K model... but you'll still get the same resolution screen for the life of the device.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Just this morning I got my Vita 2000 in white / lime green in the mail. I upgraded from a vita 1000 and fully sold my old one to a friend.

I am SO happy with it. I was a bit weary about the screen, but it is not even worth the tiniest bit of worry really. It is truly a best in class LCD and the colors feel like they jump out at me just as much as the OLED. The difference in the screen is sooo marginal compared to the weight / size reduction and the slightly more ergonomic feel.

I can a tiny bit notice the lack of the true blacks OLED provides, but it is almost unnoticeable.

This is what I was trying to say, just using my neanderthalic brain instead of this chaps functioning one. Also you can be my lime/white Vita bff

EVIL

Its a bit hard judging the screen based off photographs...

Ok one last question lol

To those who have the 2k model, is it possible to lower the brightness much more than the OLED model?

I ask this cause I game at night in bed next to my wife and the OLED vita is STILL way too bright even on the lowest possible setting.

Hard to believe a game like Muramasa looks the same on both LCD and OLED.

Korezo

Every Oled vita I bought has this problem with lines on the screen, it's the only reason I'm considering slim. It's almost impossible to find a good oled vita. It becomes very visible when playing low res games like soul sacrifice and uncharted.

Kitoro

I'm confused about the ugly screen slab on the 2k, rather than the seamless one piece on the 1k. The only reason I could imagine they'd have chosen for the screen slab cover would be if it were a different material such as glass.

Is that, in fact, a glass slab on the 2k? That'd be awesome, if so. If not, what's the deal?

Billen

Banned
If they are going with £189 as the pricepoint, then I am starting to believe that they are scheming against their own console. :D

Vashetti

Banned
If the £189.99 rumoured price is true then they may as well give up now. Retailers have been selling insane Vita bundles these past few months for crazy prices such as £139 for a Vita/Tearway + LBP Vita + 16GB Memory Card pack.

What's the incentive for consumers to buy this new expensive Vita with an inferior screen when they can get a great bundle for much cheaper?

Sony need to go straight for the balls with this and retail at £99 for the Standard Vita 2000, nothing included, except a 4GB card if they have any lying around. £119 may be a bit more reasonable for them.

If they are stripping out luxuries like the OLED, and the entire thing is made with cheaper, smaller parts, then that should be reflected in the price. I can't imagine it costs Sony much to make a Vita, especially a Vita-2000 model, nowadays.

hongcha

Yep, nearly everyone who tries a 2000 has this reaction. Welcome to the club!

dolabla

Every Oled vita I bought has this problem with lines on the screen, it's the only reason I'm considering slim. It's almost impossible to find a good oled vita. It becomes very visible when playing low res games like soul sacrifice and uncharted.

Mine has the exact same problem. The games also have a fuzzy look to them (especially Killzone Mercenary). Does yours also have that fuzzy look to it?

I'm probably gonna send it in to Sony for a replacement, because it's very bothersome and kills the experience for me.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'll gladly grab a second Vita and use it as my Japanese games machine; especially if there's a blue version.

Also in for Vita TV.

cjp

Haven't noticed any burn-in and I play my Vita a lot. It does however have typical OLED blotches like these which I think people are mistaking with burn-in.

I've noticed both of the above on my OLED Vita. The blotches aren't as bad as that photo and the lines are noticeable sometimes too.

Is it worth trying to return it to ShopTo? I got it in a PS4 + Vita bundle for Christmas so I don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle...

Is this common with the Vita?

Ok one last question lol

To those who have the 2k model, is it possible to lower the brightness much more than the OLED model?

I ask this cause I game at night in bed next to my wife and the OLED vita is STILL way too bright even on the lowest possible setting.

SOMEONE ANSWER THIS MAN'S QUESTION FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

(We have the same wife that hates bright lights at night)

Korezo

Mine has the exact same problem. The games also have a fuzzy look to them (especially Killzone Mercenary). Does yours also have that fuzzy look to it?

I'm probably gonna send it in to Sony for a replacement, because it's very bothersome and kills the experience for me.

I had one before that was fuzzy, got rid of it right away. I couldn't even enjoy a game on the vita. I was always focusing on the damn lines. The one I have now is less visible but its still there, especially on gray colors or lower res games. I have yet to try KZ because I have no memory space.

Meh, I think the original Vita is actually much nicer. I'm in Japan right now so I've had the opportunity to check them out, and the new Vita's screen really is a noticeable downgrade, and the hardware itself looks cheaper and less sleek as well. If you're interested in getting a Vita, I'd definitely recommend picking up an original model while they're still widely available.

todd360

Imagine if it was $100 dollars. The what now Nintendo bundle haha.

You couldn't even justify being salty at the removal of the OLED at that price.

Kuro

I've noticed both of the above on my OLED Vita. The blotches aren't as bad as that photo and the lines are noticeable sometimes too.

Is it worth trying to return it to ShopTo? I got it in a PS4 + Vita bundle for Christmas so I don't know if I can be bothered with the hassle...

Is this common with the Vita?

My Vita has it too. Its very common. I tried 3 other Vitas from Amazon and they all had the problem so I stopped exchanging them. Its only really noticeable in brown/grayish scenes anyways.

RaikuHebi

Banned

I think I have that as well. Sometimes I think it's finger grease on the screen but I agree and would describe it as having a bit of a blurry look.

Top Bottom